neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:35 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Oh shit. This is really cool https://twitter.com/OReillyMedia/status ... 73152?s=09

O'Reilly, who publishes every programming book ever, noticed my blog post. Cool!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:50 am 
KSK Mastermind

Napalm Man wrote:
Oh shit. This is really cool https://twitter.com/OReillyMedia/status ... 73152?s=09

O'Reilly, who publishes every programming book ever, noticed my blog post. Cool!

Thats awesome man!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Reasons why list articles are awful:
1. They just are.
2. You don't learn anything new.
3. Nor do you read anything interesting.
4. They have no sources to speak of.
5. They all contain lists of other list articles
6. And no matter what
7. They never have a nice
8. Neat number of points so they
9. Chuck in a bunch of crap to reach

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am 
In-House Sax Machine

gimp wrote:
1. They just are.
6. And no matter what

:(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:20 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

list articles are fine as a format, the real problem is quality vetting since content farms will hire anyone as a contractor since it costs them little to nothing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:44 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I mean it's not like this is "19 Reasons You Should Dump Your Ex" or something from buzzfeed.

I actually explain my reasoning for each of my tips. Like "I did (x), but then (y) happened, that was bad because (z), so now I like to do (q) instead because"

I kinda doubt gimp even clicked the link. I'm guessing he saw "5 reasons" and just immediately typed out that list thing.

Whether or not you clicked/read it, it's kind of a dick move, dude.

gimp wrote:
1. They just are.

I'll do think it's kind of click-baity. But it's what they asked me to write, and I'm excited to write for a website I don't own. I plan to write more stuff later, and it most likely won't be in a list format.

gimp wrote:

Did you read the post?

gimp wrote:

...I don't think you read the post.

gimp wrote:

Well in this case it's mostly an opinion piece. That last point I said about "you don't necessarily need one process per container" is a really, really controversial viewpoint in the world of Docker.

So... you can have a source to backup an opinion, sure, but in this case, I don't think it's really needed.

gimp wrote:

So seriously, I don't think you actually clicked it. Where do I contain a list of other list articles?

gimp wrote:
6. And no matter what

You're being a jerk to me but I don't understand why. Did I wrong you somehow?

TheBatman wrote:
list articles are fine as a format, the real problem is quality vetting since content farms will hire anyone as a contractor since it costs them little to nothing

Yeah, on content mills (like buzzfeed), they're obnoxious. Websites like that just want you to read the article so you see ads. That's the whole reason those sites exist - ad money.

This company Tutum, their business is cloud hosting. Their blog doesn't have ads, and they don't even post all that often. The blog is a side project, probably mostly to give their devs something to do when they need a break from running a cloud infrastructure.

This isn't "13 pictures of cats that prove god is real."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:03 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

Napalm Man wrote:

I'd read that.

Nice job on the article!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:43 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Snifit wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:

I'd read that.

It would all be pictures of my cat, Paxton, 'cause he's the cutest.

I mean look at that guy. If God isn't real then how can this possibly exist?

Snifit wrote:
Nice job on the article!

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

oh i didn't even notice that was posted in response to napalm posting his article

yeah that's shitty, what the fuck yo

also tbh there's even value in buzzfeed style list articles; they're usually fluffy entertainment or easy read opinion pieces and there's nothing wrong with that, then you have places like Cracked that do lists worthy of things like sources and research and vet their content accordingly

and even if they weren't sourced, who cares it isn't fucking journalism

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:40 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

spoiler: one of my freelancing gigs is content farming list articles and I have a ton of fun doing it and even bring in some money in the process

http://www.rantgamer.com/

if my growing success in working towards a dream career which includes creating light-hearted content makes anyone mad they can get dunked :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:37 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

TheBatman wrote:
oh i didn't even notice that was posted in response to napalm posting his article

yeah that's shitty, what the fuck yo

I mean maybe gimp just randomly thought about how he hate lists articles and literally never saw the last couple of posts in the thread?

But, y'know, the flow is like this:

"Hey, O'Reilly noticed my blog post here's a link to the tweet." (clicking the link leads to where you see the article title, "5 things I've learned from using Docker")

"Oh hey man that's cool!"

"List articles suck here's why"

Sooo....

TheBatman wrote:
spoiler: one of my freelancing gigs is content farming list articles and I have a ton of fun doing it and even bring in some money in the process

http://www.rantgamer.com/

if my growing success in working towards a dream career which includes creating light-hearted content makes anyone mad they can get dunked :coookieesssss:

Cool!! Sounds like you're having fun and making money, which is awesome! Most people only get one or the other out of a job, not both - you're a lucky dude.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:18 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm fine with them as long as they credit content that isn't theirs and aren't blatantly misleading or exploitative in regards to their clickbaiting.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I'm fine with them as long as they credit content that isn't theirs and aren't blatantly misleading or exploitative in regards to their clickbaiting.

I mean it really all depends.

I do kind of agree with TheBatman - stuff like Buzzfeed has some value. After working all day with high-tech, whizz-bang super complicated shit, I enjoy coming home and just kind of mindlessly building stuff in Minecraft, or watching a funny, light TV show, stuff like that.

Buzzfeed is in that same area - it's not hard-hitting journalism, and it's not pretending to be hard-hitting journalism. It's not any type of journalism, really. Sometimes you just wanna look at some fun animated gifs or pictures or something. It's not quite my cup of tea, and I think some of the articles are pretty stupid - but there's a lot of people who think Minecraft is meant for 8-year-olds, so who am I to judge what's stupid and what's intelligent?

What I hate is when a site has some attention-grabbing headline and the article has little or nothing to do with it. "COULD YOUR COUCH BE TRYING TO MURDER YOU?" - and the article is about a recall on chairs because the cushions fall apart real easily or something.

I also hate when you see a blog that sources another blog, who in turn sources another blog, and you wind up being something like 4 or 5 links away from the original source material. It becomes a game of telephone - you start with some guy saying "Yeah I made this cool gizmo for flipping pancakes," and 4 or 5 links later, it's become a cure for world hunger somehow.

I don't think lists are inherently bad, but I *do* think it's a pretty overused format, and it is used by a lot of shitty websites.

On a related noted: this company (Tutum) just asked if I want to be a recurring writer. They'd like to do 2 articles a month and will pay $100 per article.

AWESOME.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:44 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I don't mind count down articles or the list style, I used to enjoy reading Cracked a lot.

The only thing I hate is the sensationalized titles, like "20 reasons why ___ is the most amazing ____ you'll ever ____! Number 1 literally made my testicles pop!"

I didn't read your article, but I did click through the link so that you'll get ad revenue or whatever from it. I'm happy for you, even if I don't understand the contents within. :buddy:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:15 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

http://www.reddit.com/r/Tulpas/

I went to that weird part of the internet tonight. :psyduck:

I don't understand what the fuck is going on here.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Tulpas/

I went to that weird part of the internet tonight. :psyduck:

I don't understand what the fuck is going on here.

i've run into some of those people in the past. the idea is pretty big among the new age crowd. it's half imaginary friend, and half automated process. weird, but not absolutely baseless.
a bit misguided as i interpret it though. it has a bit of an overlap with something i do.

so, you have on one end of the spectrum schizophrenia. which is multiple independent dominate personalities. the other end is a situation where you have many non-dominate personalities that act as one. this is how most people are regardless of if they're aware of it or not. most often the characteristics are evened out and have a low level of discrepancy. that is to say behavior is normalized.

before i go any further: i'll have to define what i mean by personality:(copy pasta dictionary.com)
1) the visible aspect of one's character as it impresses others
2) a person as an embodiment of a collection of qualities
3) the organized pattern of behavioral characteristics of the individual

so, when i say multiple personalities i mean that the established pattern of behavior is subject to change due to no consequence. some time ago there were people obsessed with being "random" these do not count as their "random" actions were all tied to the same root pattern. what i mean is closer to bi-polar disorder, but isn't merely the product of a chemical imbalance. it happens through adaptation. having different personas for different groups, even if the difference is subtle. sometimes an extrovert, sometimes an introvert. i can be day dreaming for months, and all of the sudden the fire kicks in and i'm an entirely different person in action. all of my daily activity patterns change, i assume a different role in conversation, my wants are different, etc. i am still me the whole time, uninterrupted memory, no loss of control.

so, the next step is figuring out how to become deliberate and self-directed with this type of effect. and then comes tailoring each personality for it's desired role, and setting up your triggers, or your means of evoking each personality. to evoke is just to bring something to mind. i look at personalities like hats and the transition in line of switching them. i do not see it as being disingenuous because the personality is the expression of the self; it is only the attempt at self-expression and not the self.

so, this is where everything comes full circle: the "magic" part. it has to do with the triggers, and is also how the tulpas 'work'.
the key is belief. and to be more specific: a very carefully crafted delusion. which, is in effect, what most any beliefs are.

now, what i do is sort of like writing a novel to create the personality. i reference that work of fiction to bring out the subset of traits i want. it is delusion, i know it is. it is a tool.

a tulpa is similar, but different. you're becoming self-directed with schizophrenia. it's creating another personality and having it run as an independent process of your main personality. so sort of the 'always running' type of software. i guess at it's least invasive: you could look at it like your conscious. at it's most invasive and uncontrolled: you'll be hearing voices.

though: will everyone see it this way? no. most people think it's some super special magical being that inhabits them or some shit. it's a shame too because the concept can be incredibly useful.

example: i was coming up with a game concept. it was a TBS that was sort of a mix between advance wars and flow(pipe game). i had most of the rules set and i wanted to test some of it, but didn't want to make the art and write it. so i sat on the couch closed my eyes, and tried to simulate a game of it in my head. but i wanted to play it and be 'blind' to what the opponents moves would be. so i wrestled with the idea for a bit and eventually had success being able to see the game and play it against an opponent whose moves 'i' did not dictate.

i've also used it to play mean bean machine in my head against an ai. getting focused enough to keep the visualization consistent is the harder part honestly.

but anyway. there's my spiel on weird shit you can do with your brain for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I somehow totally knew that the first person to respond to me posting that would me you or Gimp, haha.

And, I get what they're doing...but, at the same time, anything that you're coming up with internally is going to be your own internal voice. There isn't any way you can split off a sentient, separate persona that acts on its own and has its own feelings and everything, because it's still going to be you, deep down.

I can get on board with some stuff like this, like, for example, lucid dreaming. I've tried that before, and it makes sense, and I can sooorta do it if I work at it hard enough.

But, taking a part of your mind and making a separate personality that behaves independently from yourself? Nah, dude, brains don't work that way.

But, I get what you're saying about different personalities coming out in different times. There's me when I'm fucking around with my friends, and there's me in a professional workplace, and me when I'm around family or polite company. A personality, in this case, is kind of like a social stance, and I can switch it up when I need to, like I'm putting on a different set of clothes or something.

But, I can't take that, put one personality in the corner, and imagine what he looks like, and then turn it into an autonomous imaginary friend that talks and behaves in its own way.

...Huh, I just realized that Dexter's Dad in the show Dexter is totally a Tulpa.

I mean, it's still him talking to himself, though. It's him telling himself what he thinks his dad would say to him, if he were still alive and giving him advice.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

you are correct. there are a couple factors we need to look at though if you want to see how you can have something like that.

there is blind behavior. the things we do without realizing it. sort of like how if you have a nagging mother you'll eventually just tune her out without deliberately trying to.

this is something which can cause a blind concerning internal and external information.

now, in the regard of an independent intelligence a similar barrier is constructed. tuning out certain things. because there are the things you 'know' and the things you are aware of. so you seed the intelligence with things you know and tune those things out from your awareness.

so, in the context of my example, the 'AI' was seeded with the rules for the game and how to win. then i created a blind spot for the 'AI' to sit in so that i could play against it without being able to anticipate everything.

look at schizophrenia and other multiple personality disorders. the frame work for that type of thing does exist within the brain, and it is the same framework used to govern out personalities and awareness.

though; i'd never argue that creating a tulpa(since that is the term we are using) is a good idea. the most common use i've seen out of them doesn't go farther beyond self-suggestion. it's usually so that people will notice specific types of information more readily, or occasionally, they create sort of a sub-routine for the processing of said specific information.

as with a lot of new-agey spiritualist fluff: there is a sound foundation which gets over fluffed and utilized poorly because the majority of the practitioners are learning from the fluff and not the actual mechanisms. and, i guess my point is, 90% of the people who do anything are absolute retards. hack scientists, hack doctors, hack mechanics, hack cooks, hack managers, hack landlords, hack programmers, hack artists(warhol anyone?), hack musicians, hack journalists, etc. in any profession it's rare to find one that impresses, and you're going to see a lot who don't before you do, and as your familiarity with the subject increases: you're going to become aware of more who are just hacking it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:13 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

See, like, I can get it if it's all just on a subconscious level. I mean, I have some fucking weird dreams sometimes. Some of that shit I wake up from and go "where the fuck did that come from?" So, I know that there's stuff in my brain that can make me kind of do a double take that I don't really have any control over, so maybe taking that and making a personality based off of that or something, I could see that maybe working.

And, yeah, the frame work for multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia are in your brain somewhere, I guess.

But it just seems like such a weird, sad thing to do. Like, a lot of the guys on the subreddit are making My Little Pony personas and stuff...and...man, that just kinda makes me depressed. Like, I've never been so lonely and in need of a friendship that I have had to sit and seriously think about making a friend up in my head.

I dunno. It's just a weird little subsection of the internet. And, it's one of those things that you think you've seen everything, and then you see something new, and it's like "Huh...well, that's a thing."

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:24 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

yes, self-suggestion is embedding behavior into your own subconscious.

just you wait. people are getting nuttier every year. then, one day, science is going to be all "HAY GUYS LOOKIT" and the vacuum pressure from the rapid pant shitting will relieve everyone of their internal organs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

BUTTS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:11 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

illblamesum1else wrote:
BUTTS.

Indeed. :wotwot:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:

HOLD THE PHONE

i posted a random thought in the random thought thread 4 days later. you say you wrote an article? i was talking about websites like buzzfeed, cracked and college humour that show up in my newsfeed pretending to be funny.

:cookieshuh:

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:20 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

napalm, batman, i honestly don't care that much for either of you but i would actually put some thought into criticising you if i was going to do it.

Batman: C.R.E.A.M. I write copy sometimes *shrug*. We have editors and they have their reasons. Generally I don't find titling something after the number of points in your article to be a stimulating way of arresting attention. Unless you're a search engine.
Napalm: It's a technical article. That shit just makes sense.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:30 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So yeah your whole "i don't get it? are you even talking to me? that applies to buzzfeed not me" reaction was spot on the money

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205  Next