neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guys!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:20 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm still alive.

What the gay?

Post subject: Re: Guys!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:40 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

That's good!

Much flooding up there? Power go out or anything?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Power was out for a bit, but back on now. No flooding. I'm 10 miles away from the coast so I'm safe from the storm surge, and surprisingly there isn't much rain (just wind).

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:46 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, we caught the outer bands of it earlier, and it wasn't too terrible. But, you guys aren't exactly used to the shitfest that are hurricanes.

I mean, shit, we didn't even have classes canceled for our school on Friday. "Oh, Cat 1 hurricane? Yeah, fuck you, homework is still due."

And I have to walk to class, too, haha. The only thing that pissed me off was my umbrella went retarded and turned itself inside out once, but I was able to straight it out.

But, glad you're alright up there. I think the direct hit was a lot worse than just the shitty little outer bands. This storm is a fucking mess, from the looks of it. It's covered like 14+ states up north.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i hope new york finds it's self under water.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Glad you're doing good!

Sandy tore off a lot of our gutters and flashing that we just had replaced over the summer, I'm wondering how the rest of the roof looks...I hope the storm didn't fuck up our house too much (our roof started leaking again but not much)

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 am 
The so-called robot with admin powers

I was just thinking about you Greg! I hope everything will go well through all this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I got a text this morning asking if I was ok with the storm. I was confused but apparently it's supposed to affect the Midwest too. They're calling for storm surges at Lake Michigan.

Glad to hear you're ok.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Snifit wrote:
I got a text this morning asking if I was ok with the storm. I was confused but apparently it's supposed to affect the Midwest too. They're calling for storm surges at Lake Michigan.

Glad to hear you're ok.

Oh, I was like "Huh? Did someone think you were in Florida still?"

I forgot how freaking huge the storm is, though. It was stretching over to like Michigan with the outer bands and stuff.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
i hope new york finds it's self under water.

It is.

Storms over, at least for me. Haven't gone out too much to survey the damage but I've heard my neighborhood is littered with downed trees. I've heard 90% of Long Island is without power, but I don't know where that figure came from. Long Island rail road could be down for a week. NYC subway system is completely shut down due to flooding. All the major airports nearby (JFK, Laguardia, and Newark) are shut down due to flooding.

All the rich people with houses on the shore got fucked. It's good to be poor.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:13 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Glad to see you're doing well. Sending my best wishes your way <3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Thanks everyone for your concern! I seem to be the only one on Long Island with power. New Jersey, New York City, and Long Island were hit the worst.

I've been looking at pictures on r/sandy here: http://www.reddit.com/r/sandy

This is some Walking Dead -type shit:
[huge picture alert] - http://i.imgur.com/1YdCE.jpg

What the gay?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bubble Man wrote:
This is some Walking Dead -type shit:
[huge picture alert] - http://i.imgur.com/1YdCE.jpg

that's beautiful.
no joke.
truly beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

A recent email from my university:

Quote:
To all Students, Faculty, and Staff:

As a result of Hurricane Sandy, State offices, facilities, and operations in New York City and Long Island will be closed, except for essential services on Thursday, November 1, 2012. Non-essential employees in those locations are directed not to report to work, without charge to leave accruals. Essential employees must report for their regular shift or remain at work as directed. Stony Brook University Hospital resumes a regular schedule for its operating rooms and ambulatory surgery center effective Thursday, November 1st. Essential employees must report in accordance with their schedules. Please note, University Hospital and the Long Island State Veterans Home employees are all deemed essential and therefore must report to work. All Research Foundation employees who are deemed essential including those who work at any Stony Brook Medicine outpatient facility that is open are expected to report for duty. This includes employees who work at Tech Park.

All classes scheduled for the remainder of this week have been canceled. This applies to Stony Brook, SB Southampton, and SB Manhattan campuses and includes the School of Medicine, School of Nursing, School of Health Technology & Management, School of Social Welfare, and the Dental School. Students with clinical obligations should make every effort to attend clinical rotations and contact their clinical coordinators with any questions or concerns.

It is our intention to resume classes as scheduled on Monday, November 5th.

All employees should continue to monitor your e-mail, the SB Advisory page at www.stonybrook.edu/emergency/advisories, or the Office of Emergency Management “Alert” line at 631-632-5378.

Lawrence M. Zacarese
Assistant Chief of Police
Director – Office of Emergency Management

First time in my life where everything is just shut down. I've never had a week off for a natural disaster before, it's kinda crazy. Some schools on Long Island are closed "until further notice," which is even crazier.

"It is our intention to resume classes as scheduled on Monday, November 5th." -- so there's a possibility the school may be closed longer.

Not much to do in the meantime.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm 
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo

glad you're ok Mr. Bubble. FYI-Zombie preparedness training has applications for extended power outages.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I've done my homework. I was prepared for a full-blown wild-west type situation. It's not that bad in my town. Yeah the roof of my high school was torn off by wind, and there must hundreds of downed trees, telephone poles, and power lines - but at least we had no flooding here.

South of my town, it's complete bedlam. I remember when Katrina hit New Orleans and I thought, "Man... that looks crazy." Welp, this is New York/New Jersey's Katrina. Fortunately, because these areas were actually build ABOVE sea level, flood waters have receded and the clean up has started.

Here's what's been going on:

1. People are freaking the fuck out about gasoline. I first heard rumors of a "gas shortage" on Long Island earlier in the week, but now people have gone absolutely bat-shit crazy about it. I live less than a mile from probably five or six gas stations, and if I were to drive to any one of them right now, they're either out of gas or I'd be waiting upwards of four hours to fill my car up. Whether or not there was an actual gas shortage doesn't matter now, because the panic has driven everyone to the pump, creating a gas shortage anyway. I haven't been to the gas station since last week, and for the time being I'm just walking everywhere. Although, I have to go back to school on Monday (although that's not definite yet) and I'm hoping I'll be able to get some gas by then.

2. The south shore of Long Island has gone to shit. Entire communities are destroyed and powerless, but now... the looting has started. I haven't been down there, but I've heard it's not good.

3. Long Island's south shore beaches (the good ones) are basically gone. Here's Ocean Parkway:
This road, which was 500 feet north of the beaches, used to bring people to the beaches. Now it is the beach.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:40 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

I just got power back late thursday night. i wonder if you got power back because you were further away from the landfall... less damage to utilities i guess. Or Long Island just repairs much faster.

i posted a wall of text in the vent thread about all the shit that sucks. But the plus side is everyone I know personally is alive and well.

is the gas shortage near you just because people freaked out, blew it out of proportion and bought it all? or is it like here where most stations are still closed, so everyones going to the same station at once? (honestly I think here is a combination of both...)

man, i wish i took a picture of that branch that speared my shed... or my neighbors shed that got thrown over a fence into the woods and landed upright 10 feet beyond said fence. From my back window it looks like it just got scared and tried to hide in the woods. I saw it and lold.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

During the storm, my power was going on and off constantly, nearly every half-hour; but I never lost it for good. It's kinda crazy. 85% of Long Island lost power after the storm (almost a million households) but I somehow retained it. Probably because I endured a week without power last year during Irene, the electricity gods were kind enough to keep my power on this time.

Half of my town is still without power. I drove around last night and every other block was pitch black.

About the gas thing: I'm convinced there was no real gas shortage. Rumors sprang up mid-week, and once the panic set in, there was no stopping it. I think the rumors about a potentially gas shortage drove everyone to fill up there cars and trucks. Everyone on Long Island filling up there cars in one days is going to create a gas shortage, and now it happened.

Regardless of how it happened, there's an actual gas shortage right now. Last night I drove to pick up my buddy from the train station two towns South of me. I must have passed 10 gas stations on the way, and I'd say 9 of them were closed with "Gas Sold Out" signs up everywhere. One was open, and it had a hundred cars waiting in line to fuel up. No way I'm getting involved in that shit. I'm gonna walk everywhere this weekend.

Hopefully it gets better and people stop acting crazy. I just emailed my professors to say there's a possibility I won't be able to come to class on Monday because I have no gas in my car (and my college is an hour away from my house). We'll see what happens.

My buddy's quote from facebook says it all: "You think in a crisis like this, people would be brought together. O Yeah, I forgot we live in a country full of fucking savages."

What the gay?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I like that quote. Aside from the gas though, I do get that sense that people are coming together. Just... you know... outside of gas lines, where they're probably willing to literally kill to fill up their car.

I also wonder if the long lines are because there's so few stations actually open around here. Is that the normal number of cars that get gas in a day, but now have to all get it from one place instead of hundreds?

Either way, NJ has a temporary rationing law in place now. If the last number on your plate is even, you get gas on even days. Odd numbers go on odd days. Vanity plates with no numbers count as odd. Of course, people still find reason to bitch. "You mean theres rules to when I can get gas now?! this is bullshit!" Yes, it's bullshit to come up with a plan to effectively cut your wait time in half. It's soooo unfair that waiting in line for 2 hours instead of 4 burns less gas, therefore the limited supply lasts longer. Your life sucks so much because by burning less gas in line, you now need less gas to fill your tank, and therefore save money at the same time. This system that has no real downside is sooooo flawed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:55 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

At least we can pump our own gas.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:40 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:
At least we can pump our own gas.

Ours is cheaper though. I'd rather pay less AND make someone do it for me! :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

I liek new york D: