neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HAY GUYS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Sup. miss ya'll.

Post subject: Re: HAY GUYS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

O U

hows life been?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

WE MISS YOU ALSO FALLOUT POST MOAR

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:45 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

I realize the only one of you I don't talk to on Facebook is Sleepy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:30 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

:(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i don't participate in something i don't approve of.
is it futile? maybe. but if all the people who hated facebook or had unhealthy addictions to it stopped using it; would it make a difference? yeah, probably.
it appears to me that how you spend your time is a truer means of voting than filling out a ballot.

who funds campaigns? how do they get their money?

more money that goes to N-Company results in more money N-Company lobbyists will be willing to spend on trying to make sure their favored candidate wins.

this is a very tangible idea; is it not?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Makes sense, but in context of the thread I think a simple "oh, hey fallout" would have sufficed :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Maybe, except he already kind of said that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:21 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I don't hate Facebook, but I find mine pretty damn useless. Never post on the fucking thing, tried to do it again like a month or so ago, then it's back to the usual sitting there taking up valuable space on the internet.

Also, HAY FALLOUT!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:02 pm 
KSK Mastermind

i like to have an easy outlet to say a quick "hi" to friends and family i dont normally talk to.

oh how terrible i am.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
i like to have an easy outlet to say a quick "hi" to friends and family i dont normally talk to.

yeah, so do i. it's called email. it's been around long before data mining for personal information.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:46 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

But email is so haaaaaaaaaaaaaard!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:47 am 
KSK Mastermind

well, with Facebook, i can upload pictures for everyone to see and send a general message to everyone all in one place. I don't have as much free time as i'd like these days, so a one stop do it all system thats literally me type something and click and be done with it is fine with me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

mailing lists are great for that. click "To" check a few boxes, done. you can also save and edit groups so you only have to do it once. your email provider also isn't going to claim ownership of any original images you send.

facebook ToS wrote:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

you can defend what has become a part of your routine all you want. but when you're looking at it objectively without the tinted glasses: there's no reason to be supporting a company like this.

the one and only possible point that i can see using facebook for is promotion of a project. however, given how their ToS treats user created content: you'll not want to be posting any of your original material on the site. youtube and reddit are much better outlets for promotion.

trying to defend the use of facebook is like trying to make a defense for the two party system. a lot can be said, but none of it is going to hold any water.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm 
KSK Mastermind

my bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
my bad.

jessie. you know i love you. you're a great guy.

some things, when i see them; i have to fight them. my full time job is to sit around and think about things. it's statistically improbable that someone gets the amount of free time to spend thinking that i do. i may not always be right, but i'd like for people to benefit from it. even if it's not in an agreement.

a big part of the problems our country has is the amount of collective "not give a fuck". social responsibility is something that was sort of forgotten between the time of the hippies and the yuppies. face book is just an easy target for me to point at and say "look, this supports nothing good. why you doin' that? for seriously. why?" it's like buying a computer from a company that lobbies for the privatization of the internet. wouldn't you say something if you saw people doing that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
a big part of the problems our country has is the amount of collective "not give a fuck".

I'll agree with that, along with thinking everything can be solved with fucking pills.
I'm not saying ALL of them are completely bad, but it doesn't actually solve a problem it hides it, letting it fester further until shit like the mass shootings happen, but what do they go after? Video games and gun control! Why don't we ask the Brits how their knife hold ups are going where they can't even use pepper spray in fear that it will "hurt" the person with the knife.

But this isn't a vent thread, let's get back to HAY FALLOUT! How've you been?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:12 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Fallout, never leave again! D:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:38 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Fallout's last visit to the forums was the 22nd... I think he's already gone.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:39 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

To be fair I kinda disappear for a bit, then come back, and disappear again... It happens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:06 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

I'm definitely not a fan of Facebook - I know I've posted before some really, really long diatribes about my relationship with it before, so I'm not gonna do it again.

But basically, I feel like Facebook (nowadays) is like a nightclub - it's designed to make you feel bad, and like you have to prove to the world how cool/hip/funny you are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:34 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I use facebook to coordinate events with groups of people because it's a very good tool for that, probably more so than any other similar service. There's a ton of things about Facebook that I don't like, but one of the things I do like is that I'm not in any way forced to use it for anything beyond what uses I have for it.

If I want to put together a DnD game with four of my friends, I can tag them all in a message and be assured that they'll all be able to communicate openly on a forum in order to make plans. I'm sorry, but there isn't another service right now I can do that with as easily. Facebook is successful because the product they're giving me is better than any alternative product; I'm a fairly anti-corporate dude, but I have trouble arguing that there's anything wrong with this.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:58 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I'm sorry, but there isn't another service right now I can do that with as easily.

i beg to differ. i mentioned exactly how in a previous post: mailing lists. check a box for every address you want to include: save the list. done. want to share materials? upload files to the email. it is actually more efficient to handle it by email. i've been in a group managed via facebook. the group i'm in now is managed by email. there's a whole lot less dicking around. pure efficiency; no fluff; no ads.

social networking is a marketers wet dream. and boy oh boy do i fucking hate marketers. bill hicks and i would have been great buddies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:11 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

See, here's the thing: facebook is convenient.

A lot of the people I have on there? I honestly don't really give enough of a shit about to make an effort to keep in contact with them. But, if they're right there, I can make some small talk and we can pretend we're still close friends, even though we haven't seen each other in like 10 years.

Also, I don't know anyone's birthdays, and this is a sneaky way to learn that without having to ask them. So, there's that.

Is it a big dumb evil corporation that data mines? Yeah, but, fuck, what're they gonna do about it? They can customize the ads on the side of my page, but I'm not going to buy anything from them directly, because fuck em. And I don't play any of those shitty games, either, so it's not like it's that bad.

Really, I'm just a socially lazy person, and it's easy, and it's there, and everyone I know is on it, so, why the fuck not?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:facepalm:
*goes into baby shaking mode*

Nameless88 wrote:
See, here's the thing: facebook is convenient.

see, here's the thing: it's not.
i made two posts just about this already. you're lying to yourself if that's what you really think.

email is way faster and doesn't throw a bunch of shit in your face that you have no reason to give a fuck about.
like logging in and seeing the diaries of 50 man children and 20 narcissistic cunts on your "feed". omnomnom. shit sandvich.
the only thing it's convenient for is exposing ones self to a cesspool of personality disorders and being duped into thinking it's normal for people to interact this way. you might as well go make a live journal account and then try to tell me how convenient that is too.

every live journal account wrote:
Dear diary: today i had feelings and that made me sad. :'(

every facebook post wrote:
PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

if someone you give a fuck about does something you should give a fuck about: they'll probably tell you. how's that for convenient? you don't even need to be at your computer to hear about it. the information comes to you! stupendous!Image

Nameless88 wrote:
A lot of the people I have on there? I honestly don't really give enough of a shit about to make an effort to keep in contact with them. But, if they're right there, I can make some small talk and we can pretend we're still close friends, even though we haven't seen each other in like 10 years.

then you're wasting your time misleading people into thinking you might actually give a fuck. worf would make disgusted remarks about your lack of honor.

Nameless88 wrote:
Also, I don't know anyone's birthdays, and this is a sneaky way to learn that without having to ask them. So, there's that.

we're not 12 anymore. no grown ass person gives a shit about birthdays. not unless you want to steal someone's account. whopdee. i crawled out of a vag on "this day". so did every mammal on the planet. unless you're a gross test tube baby or a platypus or some other fucked up animal that doesn't know what the hell it is. then you don't get to celebrate a birthday as you were never really "born". you get, maybe, a "happy first day of functioning".

Nameless88 wrote:
Is it a big dumb evil corporation that data mines? Yeah, but, fuck, what're they gonna do about it? They can customize the ads on the side of my page, but I'm not going to buy anything from them directly, because fuck em. And I don't play any of those shitty games, either, so it's not like it's that bad.

each time you see one of those ads: it registers a hit. each hit serves to increase the "value" of a particular ad slot. the money spend by companies to post ads on facebook goes right into FOX's pocket. it doesn't fucking matter if you don't click the links or don't play the shitty games. you're still contributing. in fact: playing farmville for a whole day might just make them less money than e-stalking for 5 minutes. so, no, it's not that bad. . . it's worse. you post something? into the databank it goes. doesn't matter if it's garbage or not. they're still selling access to it.

you don't buy things directly from tv ads, but those ads still make any given network money.

sure, you could say it's also a problem that companies are buying it. but it doesn't change the fact that you're being an idiot if you know what they're doing and can't be arsed to change your habits because it's part of a comfortable routine. come the fuck on. tough love brah.

Nameless88 wrote:
Really, I'm just a socially lazy person, and it's easy, and it's there, and everyone I know is on it, so, why the fuck not?

and social networking is part of what allows people to be so socially lazy. it's a cheap facsimile for human interaction. going out of your way for people lets them know you give a fuck. having a passive social life lets people know you're a forever-alone neckbeard. cats are optional.

Nameless88 wrote:
Yeah, but, fuck, what're they gonna do about it?

i had to copy this one. really? really? what would FOX do with more money? gee. i fucking wonder. push an agenda maybe?
what things does FOX like? i really should not have to spell this out for you.

then there's the whole separate issue of what can be done with the data they sell off.
it's mostly used for market study in attempts to make marketing conventions more effective. . . .and they're already waist deep into brainwashing territory. they don't need to be any better. i can write books on suggestion. you can either take my word on this facet, or i can write a wall of text so big that poor neon in australia will use up his entire bandwidth quota for the month just loading this page.