neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline
Nameless NESkomic Artist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:15 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Math the Band, Random Encounter, NESkimos, Under Polaris @ The Haven
In Winter Park, Fl, Jan 11th (Friday), from


Dunno how many of you guys watch their Facebook page, but they just announced it on there a couple of days ago.

Not sure if I'll be able to make it since that's like an hour drive or so for me.

_________________
Image

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 am 
Offline
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:33 pm
Posts: 276
gonna break out the ol' electric drum kit for this one. Should sound . . . zany?

_________________
Oh madam, we must have waffles. We must all have waffles forthwith!
- Goldthwait Higginson Dorr, Ph.D.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 am 
Offline
Nameless NESkomic Artist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:15 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: St. Augustine, FL
You guys have an electric drum kit? I didn't really know that, haha.

_________________
Image

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 am 
Offline
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 am
Posts: 2240
Damn, that's even further for me. Prob won't make this one.

_________________
S1eepy wrote:
i almost didn't want to do it at first, but then i remembered where i put my balls.


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm 
Offline
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 pm
Posts: 794
Location: Orlando FL
I will be there. Kinda have to be lol since Careless invited me himself :P

Perhaps I will finally meet Mario :O

You guys want me to relay any messages to the guys there?

_________________
My Little Corner of the Web


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 6997
Tell them to come to Seattle.

_________________
Don't trust the skull.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 pm
Posts: 794
Location: Orlando FL
Under Polaris / The NESkimos / Random Encounter at the Haven 1/11/13 - A Review

Another show, another review. I like to do these. My left ear is still ringing from the pure metal that blasted into my head during the NESkimo set but I digress. So last night I went to see the NESkimos and Random Encounter over at the Haven Lounge here in Orlando. Its a small bar and one of the few places that still allows rock and metal bands to perform. Hell in March Mushroomhead is going to be performing there. I may have to go see that.

Anyway.

I got there just in time to hear the initial soundcheck of the opening act, Under Polaris. Now I have had never heard of these guys personally, until now. Apparently this was their 3rd ever live show. I must say I was duly impressed. Under Polaris is a pair of rocking nerds whose names escape me (sorry guys). The guy plays a mean bass (a bass as the frontman, fascinating!) and the female does the chiptune stuff on a laptop. Now, I will say that live…having a person on a laptop can be a bit boring. However, the bass man was so energetic that I really didn’t notice most of the time. They were also dressed up like a STAR agent and Zombie from the Resident Evil Franchise.

My favorite track by far that they did was an original piece called “Core of the Storm”. I fucking loved it. In fact, I enjoyed their performance so much that I actually bought their “Demo CD” at the show for $4. I just happened to have $4 in change too, so it was perfect. I hate carrying cash!

You can find their stuff over at bandcamp. I seriously suggest supporting these guys, mainly so I can see em live again. Hell its name your own price no reason NOT TO OWN IT. Sadly I didn’t get a real chance to say how awesome they were to their faces save for when I was leaving the venue haha.

Next up was one of the two bands I primarily went to see. Full disclosure here: I have been a fan of these guys since 2007. In fact, they were the FIRST VG Cover Band I was introduced to, and are what got me interested in the genre. In fact when I first heard about em is right before they went on their 5 year Hiatus :( So being able to have seen them both at Nerdapalooza and now last night was fucking sweet. Even more so that they all seem to know who I am from the forums… Well the two original members do (Wily and Mario). Who am I talking about? THE NESKIMOS! The fucking LORDS OF NINTEN-METAL BABY!

However, their set had a few….issues. Which is unfortunate but it happens at live shows. During the first song Punch Out, Bruce seemed to be, well, off key. He fixed it fairly quickly but you could tell he knew, and so did everyone else. Basically his guitar somehow went out of tune quickly. I think that this issue is what caused the second issue.

You see, the NESkimos have 1 track that they apparently have only done once live. That track is the 15 minute long Super Mario Brothers 3 Medley. And they did it last night. Holy hell. 15 minutes of straight metal. Dylan can play a mean bass by the way. That man’s fingers fly over the strings. Never seen anything like it personally. And Mario can fucking ROCK those drums, even with the double bass drums 0_0

However, about 3/4 of the way through said song….Bruce broke his guitar string. The lowest string. But what does this badass do? Does he stop? HELL NOW. HE KEEPS FUCKING PLAYING AND JUST MODIFIES WHAT HE IS DOING! I bow to you sir. BOW. Overall, solid show. Although I will say that being so close to the speakers washes out a lot of the sound. And also there were some issues with Feedback loops a few times.

Finally the band that I was really excited to see. Again, full disclosure: I happen to be good friends with the frontman Careless. That band is Random Encounter. Now a quick note about these guys and the NESkimos. I was fans of both BEFORE I ever met the actual band members. So I have enjoyed their music for a long time. Now RE did what they usually do which is put on an awesome show, but as usual there were a few little sound issues. Again, there was the feedback a few times. And a few times it sounded like different members were slightly off key. I caught either Careless or Konami as being off for a brief second (playing something that sounded a little too flat) but it was a minor thing.

I will say however that they did 2 “new” songs. Well new to most of the crowd prolly. One was Swamp Witch which is about Baba Yaga, and the other was Not You. Thing is, Kit doesnt know this: I HAVE HEARD NOT YOU BEFORE ALL THIS HAHA! And I really fucking like it. I happen to know most of the lyrics in fact at this point (I am a sad sad nerd I know). So yea, Kit. YOU ARE WRONG! Not that he is gonna read this haha.

However, I unfortunately do not enjoy Swamp Witch. Not that the song is bad, far from it. My friend Dan actually enjoys it. But me, personally…I find the song odd. The structure of it just doesn’t hit me. They also did something very silly at the end of their set. They started to play one of the FZero tracks that the NESkimos had done before…but kept flubbing it. Now I am not sure if it was intentional or not (regardless it was funny) but then Kit decreed that they were going to try to play the ENTIRE NESKIMO SET just to screw with em. What they ended up doing was halfway through that (with Kit several times having to stop and restart his shredding) was to start pulling people up on stage to dance.

I was not one of those, because I am a coward.

My friend Dan however got RIGHT UP THERE and rocked for a bit.

Now a few things of note about RE’s performance. And this is something they should take note about I think. First: Rook often looks like she is not enjoying herself. She always has this SUPER INTENSE look of concentration on her face…and its kinda frightening. Other times though she smiles and bounces about and honest, that looks a lot better on her. Enjoy yourself woman! Konami frequently seems to hide in a corner of the stage. COME OUT OF THE CORNER MAN! YOU ARE REALLY GOOD! In fact if you are not paying attention your eyes will generally be drawn to two people: Kit and Careless. Kit bounces around like a nut job as does Careless. I often worry that one of them is gonna run into Rook or something. I wonder if she worries about that 0_0

Overall though, as always I loved seeing em live. Sadly however, from what I understand, they are going to be not doing many more shows for a while, as they work on their new album. In fact as I write this they have begun a 12 hour practice session. Sweet jeebus that is an intense practice session.

I did not stay last night for Math the Band. I am an old man, I admit it, and I cannot hang with these young punks / rock stars. Really all those excuses abotu having to get up early and shit I made last night folks? COMPLETE BUNK. I was just sore and tired. YUP I ADMIT IT. I am uncool and fat and nerdy. What do ya want? I came out and supported the bands that I like. And I fully intend to continue to do so.

I took a few pictures (none of Under Polaris and for that I am sad). I also didn’t get a picture of what I really wanted: Me with both the NESkimos and RE :P But hey, I can be a Fanboy sometimes right? That’s allowed? Probably not really. Maybe it is…what do you think?


Oh and you can view the original post here: http://stomphoof.tumblr.com/
And I forgot to tell the NESkimos to go to Seattle. It was a long day yesterday for me... 50 hour work week 0_o

_________________
My Little Corner of the Web


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm 
Offline
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:33 pm
Posts: 276
All night I had this weird "guilty" feeling that we should have been playing in Seattle.

Very nice to meet you Mr. Hoof, our fans are seriously the nicest people. Next time we shall enjoy a stale draft together.

_________________
Oh madam, we must have waffles. We must all have waffles forthwith!
- Goldthwait Higginson Dorr, Ph.D.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:11 am 
Offline
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 pm
Posts: 794
Location: Orlando FL
Mariorg wrote:
All night I had this weird "guilty" feeling that we should have been playing in Seattle.

Very nice to meet you Mr. Hoof, our fans are seriously the nicest people. Next time we shall enjoy a stale draft together.


Well I thank you for the offer to drink I am going to again cement my status as the Uncool guy: I don't drink. Not because of any mental reason, but rather if I taste alcohol in any way shape or form I instantly shoot it right back out.

And it was cool meeting you as well. Wish we could have chatted more mr FURIOUS DOUBLE BASS KICKS

_________________
My Little Corner of the Web


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 am 
Offline
Microgoomba
Microgoomba
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:35 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Orlando, Fl
Fantastic show.

It was so good, it was good.

:\m/:

_________________
Videozzzzzz
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:20 am 
Offline
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:33 pm
Posts: 276
Stomphoof wrote:
Mariorg wrote:
All night I had this weird "guilty" feeling that we should have been playing in Seattle.

Very nice to meet you Mr. Hoof, our fans are seriously the nicest people. Next time we shall enjoy a stale draft together.


Well I thank you for the offer to drink I am going to again cement my status as the Uncool guy: I don't drink. Not because of any mental reason, but rather if I taste alcohol in any way shape or form I instantly shoot it right back out.

And it was cool meeting you as well. Wish we could have chatted more mr FURIOUS DOUBLE BASS KICKS



Root Beer it is!

_________________
Oh madam, we must have waffles. We must all have waffles forthwith!
- Goldthwait Higginson Dorr, Ph.D.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group