neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diablo II?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:31 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I've got a hankering for some Diablo II and LOD, so I'm gonna reinstall that shit.

Anyone want to join me in our conquest of hell and such? I'm not going to powerlevel through this shit like I always fucking do, I'm actually going to sit down and slowly go through the game and enjoy it this time.

Gonna try to get my girlfriend in on it, too. She's out of classes for the next week or so, and she's been wanting to do an RPG game or something.

Anyway, lemme know. I'll give you my username on there (it's like..99% positive that I'm going to make it be nameless88, most likely, for the account name), haha.

The videos and stuff of Diablo 3 are kinda "meh" so far. Not really happy with how leveling up looks like it'll work in this game. So, back to basics, right?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

Post subject: Re: Diablo II?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:31 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i'd play some medianXL
http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

i can't do base d2 anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
INot really happy with how leveling up looks like it'll work in this game. So, back to basics, right?

You know, I wasn't happy with it... then I realized, I'M PLAYING THE GAME AND NOT WORRYING ABOUT STATS OR SKILLS.

Seriously, it actually brought you INTO the game instead of into the numbers.

Plus the CD on Potions made you think of your mortality more, it's even more brought up in the fact that Hardcore? You lose your items too as of right now. :awesome:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i got a chance to play through the beta and was pretty fucking unimpressed. you get dick for options with character development. you pretty much just get what they give you. sure before you might have had only 3 viable sorcs, but now there is only one. all sorcs get all sorc stuff. there are no real choices to make. nothing divergent in character development. nothing to differentiate yourself from anyone else aside form gear. . . which makes a cash auction house look all too convenient.

blizzard is a big company now. big companies need more money to sustain themselves. it should come as no surprise that mandatory services and money milking conventions are a mainstay of their games now. they stopped making games and started making cash farms with WoW.

for anyone who wants to argue this with SC2: tournament play is where they fucked people here. most notable in korea with required product licensing for tourney monitoring. blizzard doesn't care about making good games. they care about making profitable games. accessible products devoid of depth.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

While I don't agree with some of Blizzard's choices in business lately, I do have to stop you right there.

How is it that everyone ends up doing the same mathematical equations in Diablo II to get the "best spec" only to pretty much end up in the same boat as many other players doing the same thing good for character development.

While yes there ARE less options, there still are some options in the form of the runes.
They stopped with the skill tree, giving a little more diversity in the game with the runes.
Seems better to me than what I did playing Diablo II recently where I was thinking, "What was the way I needed to level this character?"

Not to mention, the Beta was MAYBE 1/3rd of the first act.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:43 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i agree they didn't do an amazing job in d2, however, the system is shown adequacy if you look at some of the d2 mods. median XL does an amazing job of taking the existing system and letting you play the classes many different ways. don't blame the system for blizzard's lack of attention.

you're quoting almost verbatim the excuses doled out in a press conference. i was laughing at this guy. the reasons he gave for taking character building out translated literally; that blizzard did a poor job of it the first time.

i liken skill runes to the difference between d&d 3.5 and d&d 4.0
i've seen some. they aren't abysmal, but skill points were still cooler than handling it that way.
character building is about making decisions with your character. in D3 you don't really get any.
everybody just sort of gets everything and the only distinction is gear.
imagine the uproar if they did that to TES:6 and their excuse was "oh, well, because we balanced it like shit the first time."

you have how much money? and you are turning these games into things infants can play.
oh right. because bro-holes buy things without thinking.
in fact; they don't think period which explains the nature of the market and product.

in terms of leveling; a rush is a rush is a rush. if you anticipate problems early on; make that character as an alt if you prefer to offset some of the starting problems with better gear. imo the price for making a pure end game build should be a more challenging early-game.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:43 am 
Bucket Of Flud

S1eepy wrote:

for anyone who wants to argue this with SC2: tournament play is where they fucked people here. most notable in korea with required product licensing for tourney monitoring. blizzard doesn't care about making good games. they care about making profitable games. accessible products devoid of depth.

This is more due to Korea's culture and they way business works here than blizzard.