neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minecraft: XBLA
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:01 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I just finished playing around in the trial, One thing I hate already is that fucking tutorial box thingy, I said no to a tutorial but everytime I looked in the general direction of a block it decided to give me it's whole damed life-story, Yes, I know what dirt is.
Crafting seems cheap too, looks like they took out grid in favour of just selecting the thing you want to make :/
Also, just heard that if you plan on buying this for the splitscreen multiplayer, it requires a HDTV.

Post subject: Re: Minecraft: XBLA
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I might wait on this one for a little bit. I do plan on buying it so I can run it at Ancient City Con, though. My Xbox is usually the odd man out and we just run XBLA games on there, anyway.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:30 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I was given a code for it by a wonderful neskimite who already bought the game.

I started a "gargamel" map, and I've been getting my ass kicked!

Apparently playing on Normal, and having a different control scheme makes the game artificially really hard to play.

Kinda funky, since I'm back in Beta 1.6.6, too. I hope they do the Adventure Update to the 360 edition. It feels so fucking weird not having experience points or meat dropping from chickens and cows, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
I was given a code for it by a wonderful neskimite who already bought the game.

I started a "gargamel" map, and I've been getting my ass kicked!

Apparently playing on Normal, and having a different control scheme makes the game artificially really hard to play.

Kinda funky, since I'm back in Beta 1.6.6, too. I hope they do the Adventure Update to the 360 edition. It feels so fucking weird not having experience points or meat dropping from chickens and cows, haha.

good luck with updates. microsoft is a bastard about patching. you saw how much support tf2 got.

i wouldn't be surprised if it stays as is. microsoft has a new term for patching: they call it DLC.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:32 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, but we're also talking about Mojang, too, and they're fucking bad ass.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Yeah, but we're also talking about Mojang, too, and they're fucking bad ass.

its not their decision though. and from what i've heard; getting those patches green lighted is a pain in the ass. as far as user mods goes: it will never happen on xbox. which is the shame, because, you know, the whole fucking point of minecraft is to be an open sourced sand box. modding is PART of the game. it was intended to be during its inception. you can play with sand, you can play with redstone, you can play with code. conceptually inside the box and out. it is a true sandbox where you get to have a great deal of selection over your tools.

xbox live doesn't do well with any other models than 'download your game;; pay twice the cost for dlc'

whats going to happen if it does get support: the patches will be DLC and you'll have to pay for them.
valve tried to fight it with orange box. but because microsoft insists that all content going through the machine must be hosted on their servers through their service: they argue that they have the right to charge for it despite what the developer thinks. no agreement to charge for content: no content patches. that's how they do business. because if you think for a moment bill gates and his shareholders are genuinely into making great games accessible to the masses: you're dead wrong. they are into making money. plain and simple. they have their own little corner of the market walled off pretty good. don't mistake fiscal productivity for progress.

if you think of the xbox like a computer (which it is) you'd be pretty fucking livid if a company tried to pull this much control over the internet. it may be a microcosm, but its still a monopoly. developers don't really have a choice in the matter because of how tightly they want to control their product.

which again: for a computer; its one of the most limited ones ever made. the original xbox had more functionality than the 360.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:51 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, I understand that they do shit like that. But, there was already an update for it when I ran the game on my first start up. And there are a few glaring bugs (such as water buckets not functioning at all, had to build my farm outside my own house, like some kind of fucking animal #minecraftworldproblems), so I'm sure they'll patch in those, and maybe sneak in some new features while they're at it.

I think Microsoft knew what they were getting into when they made the deal with Mojang, so they've probably got some deal going like "Look, we'll give you exclusive console rights for Minecraft for X months, but you have to let us do it our way, k? PS3 would probably love this shit to be exclusive, too, you know."

Point being, they were already making a profit on their game - according to Notch - in th first 24 hours of putting it online.

Also, this brings me to my other point: Hey, guess what Fortress Craft and all you shitty clones? BOOYAH! Suck on that, byatch!

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:21 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

money takes the most beautiful ideas in the world and turns them into monsters.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:59 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeeah.

But, fuck it. I can still play it on the PC. I just have a freebie copy on my Xbox now that I can run at a convention now.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:53 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

The Escapist wrote:
Exact sales numbers aren't available, but Microsoft has confirmed that Minecraft has broken the day-one sales record set by Trials Evolution last month. Markus "Notch" Persson quickly took to his Twitter feed to announce that the game was profitable within an hour of going on sale.

Fez developer, Polytron, seemed confused as to how Notch had gained access to sales data so quickly.

"How did you get those stats from MS?" asked Polytron. "We still don't know exactly how much Fez sold almost a month later. You get stats in 24 hours?

"What? Really? I thought it was standard procedure! That sucks. :(," Notch responded.

Polytron then added that the 360 version of Minecraft will be getting free updates, while every other XBLA developers are required to charge for content updates.

Notch replied: "We had to fight for that, and we got a limited number of them. Not sure why they don't like it."

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:06 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

*fistpump*

Fuckin' A, man.

I really like Mojang. They're fighting the good fight.

ExPostFacto wrote: