neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:23 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Hey. Not sure if anyone will recognize me... was here for a few months creating bunch of houses and a hotel. Been gone for a long while but thinking of coming back. However, I was wondering if anyone thinks there might be an option in the near future for a creative-only option or creative-only server for strictly build purposes?

While the new changes in Minecraft is pretty awesome, I already get my adventuring kink from WoW, and I would prefer to just make buildings in Minecraft. Now that there is a creative mode available, I was curious if one of the big kahunas here is thinking of opening one to someone who prefer to just build, or at least, is toying with the idea.

Not a big deal if no one wants to open up the option due to possible abuse (which is understandable). I was just checking out since I'd really rather play with you folks than try new with somewhere else.

Thanks for reading. =)

Yummy yummy, yummy yummy
Fruit salAAAaaaAAAAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:10 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

We've currently got two servers going. Tekkit, which is being run by Fallout and Shrike, and the vanilla minecraft run by Napalm Man. I think both of them want to do survival mode.

I can't really speak for any of them myself, but if I were running a server, I'd be cool with letting you and Stomphoof (See? I remember you! :coookieesssss: ) do creative mode.

If for nothing else than to see what you can do with that power, and get more ideas for furniture from you. Plus, you make really nice houses, so I'd enjoy looking at them.

Seriously, the paintings on the glowstone/pumpkin to make a lantern? Magnificent. I've been incorporating that into designs since I saw you do it on your house on the old server, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Yo Nameless! I remember you. You did the mole skins :D

Stomphoof raised a good point that maybe in the mean time just to play on single player instead, and if I wanted folks to check out my creation, I'll update with a map thingamajig or something.. get him to show me how to share it.

I had some modern-type housing that I created... captured some images that I haven't uploaded up yet. Maybe do an Imgur album and share it with the screenshot thread.

Yummy yummy, yummy yummy
Fruit salAAAaaaAAAAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:08 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

That'd be awesome if you uploaded your map files to share what you've made. I love the stuff you make, because they're always really spiffy :awesome:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:08 pm 
Ptooie
Ptooie

I would also love to see what you've gotten up to. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

having a creative map parallel with a survival map was on the docket for a long time. . . i had it working on my test server.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

S1eepy wrote:
having a creative map parallel with a survival map was on the docket for a long time. . . i had it working on my test server.

But the question is when will it appear? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:08 pm 
Ptooie
Ptooie

Interestingly, the latest snapshot update is nominally about letting people 'publish' their maps/areas for others to see, taking it from single player to multiplayer.

Which would be fantastic for this. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:48 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Stomphoof wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

But the question is when will it appear? :)

to be 50/50 honest/snide: probably not unless i actually host my own server.

i went so far as to pre-package a tekkit server with three linked worlds; a hub, creative, and survival, got everything playing nice; zipped it and passed it to fallout, but it never got used. i asked multiple times as to why but never got an answer. if i'd fucked something up i'd like to have known. instead the server just got rerolled with a fresh map.

so; i'm done putting time into a forum server unless i'm admin on my own server. i had to get on everyone's ass for baby steps to be taken and then forgotten about a few days later. i don't like having to be that guy, but it fucking killed me watching the server tank because things were promised and then quickly dismissed. then all of the sudden people wanted to do something with the server when everyone but 2-3 people had lost interest. . . . yeah. . . that was fun. . .

maybe in the future i'll give things another go solo, but for the time being, people seem to be interested in nape's server. we'll see how long people stick around there. maybe i'll host something when people feel like playing something other than straight nilla.

no offense, but the whole OMFG I HATE TEKKIT IT CONFUSES ME thing made you guys look like a bunch of babies. its vanilla but with more crap; if you don't like a feature then don't use it? setup is just double clicking an exe and the launcher manages everything for you without interfering with the base directory. i really don't get what the pissy fit was all about. its the same fucking game but with more you can do. . . its not like you had to fill your food meter by giving other players blow jobs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
its not like you had to fill your food meter by giving other players blow jobs.

I'd play this game.

EDIT: Also, if you're not pleased with the current server setup, why not just start your own?

It makes total sense that you'd get annoyed putting time into something to only see it not get used. So, if you still have those worlds ready-to-go, go start up a server. Problem-solving with Napalm Man.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

I'd play this game.

EDIT: Also, if you're not pleased with the current server setup, why not just start your own?

It makes total sense that you'd get annoyed putting time into something to only see it not get used. So, if you still have those worlds ready-to-go, go start up a server. Problem-solving with Napalm Man.

nah. its not what you have going on i'm frustrated with. we had a short conversation a day or two after you put yours up. i get your reasoning. what's stopping me from putting my own up is my connection. i have server hardware here, but anyone too far from the mid-west is going to get an iffy ping.

hosting my own is going to come down to if i can maneuver a connection with better up speed, and weather or not people are actually going to want to give new content a fair shake; instead of complaining within the first few minutes and feeling lost and helpless when it comes to ingesting new information. to me that was like a bunch of people saying they liked Fighting Game 1 better than Fighting Game 2 purely because Fighting Game 1 had six fewer characters.

but i can't be too mad; when i look at what games are today: most of them are 'push button;; win a prize'. entirely devoid of learning curve and betterment through knowledge and refined gameplay. so if that's what people are used to. . . its not unlikely to see an aversion to having a billion different (optional) things to do. it comes as a shock to the system; one which the modern gaming market has done tons to reduce a tolerance for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

I'd play this game.

nah. its not what you have going on i'm frustrated with. we had a short conversation a day or two after you put yours up. i get your reasoning. what's stopping me from putting my own up is my connection. i have server hardware here, but anyone too far from the mid-west is going to get an iffy ping.

hosting my own is going to come down to if i can maneuver a connection with better up speed, and weather or not people are actually going to want to give new content a fair shake; instead of complaining within the first few minutes and feeling lost and helpless when it comes to ingesting new information. to me that was like a bunch of people saying they liked Fighting Game 1 better than Fighting Game 2 purely because Fighting Game 1 had six fewer characters.

but i can't be too mad; when i look at what games are today: most of them are 'push button;; win a prize'. entirely devoid of learning curve and betterment through knowledge and refined gameplay. so if that's what people are used to. . . its not unlikely to see an aversion to having a billion different (optional) things to do. it comes as a shock to the system; one which the modern gaming market has done tons to reduce a tolerance for.

Well, as far as the connection goes, I think it's way, way worth it to just rent a server. I pay $12/month for my ten-person server ($10 for ten people, +$2 for a static ip). The host I use charges more for Tekkit ($1 per player), but it's an option. There might be some other, cheaper option out there too, I dunno.

The main benefits to renting a server, instead of running it out of my house:
1) Uptime. I can't come even close to matching the uptime of a datacenter. Redundant power, backups, etc.

2) Connection Speed. I'll never have a datacenter-quality internet connection. Period. I have semi-shitty AT&T U-Verse 12Mbps, and it does everything I need to do at home.

3) Reliability/Accountability. I'm a paying customer, if my server goes down, I can complain to somebody. But more importantly, these guys don't want to deal with complaints - they understand that high reliability = less complaints = less overall work for them. And they're good at it - I think the server's been down once, but that was when I shut it down via an rcon command (whoops!)

4) Ease-of-use. I can have a real hands-off approach to managing a server. Everything's done via web interface. Worth it.

I get the idea of going DIY - you control everything, you own the data, etc. You can do crazy, custom shit, install brand-new mods the day they come out, it's awesome. I have that attitude with a lot of things (for instance, I refuse to ever use a service like DropBox - I keep backups offline, because that's my data, and I don't want to entrust it to a 3rd party).

But, it's a game server, I don't particularly care if my map's data is on some other server. And I'm playing Vanilla, so I'm not even bothering with keeping up-to-date on new mods.

re: modern gaming market/laziness. I get your argument - we've definitely entered an age where more and more games are "casual." But I don't think that's really it. Frankly, I think it's somewhat insulting to the other forum members to suggest that. I certainly don't view myself as lazy. Let's use me as an example:

In my case: between work, friends, dating, playing music, other hobbies, and blah blah blah - I only have so much time I can put into a game like Minecraft. In a good week, I can maybe squeeze in 2ish hours, but I don't think I've even fired up the client at all this week. I'm barely playing on my own server. I don't own any modern consoles, because I look, and say "...I don't have anywhere near the time for any of this." I don't know if it's an issue of growing up, or just getting new interests, or what. But I just don't put that much time into videogaming anymore.

So, I'm disinterested in something like Tekkit. Plain Minecraft is more than enough for me. I'm certainly not lazy/unknowledgeable, but I am crunched for time. Even as I'm writing this, my thought process is "Ah, shit, I've spent too much time on this. I still gotta do dishes and laundry, go over to my dad's for father's day, etc."

And Minecraft is one of the more complicated games out there - tons of recipes, tons of ways for blocks to interact with eachother (like light levels for mushrooms, mobs, crops, etc). I rely really, really heavily on the Minecraft wiki to learn the game, and I still reference it all the time. When I played Tekkit, I remembered the in-game recipe thing wasn't super intuitive, and there was a wiki, but it seemed like it wasn't very thorough.

Tekkit seemed cool and all, but I don't wanna spend hours learning all these extra things when I barely have enough time for plain Minecraft as it is.

I just don't play videogames as much as I used to, compared to other activities. I'm thinking I'm not the only one in that boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Quote:
I remembered the in-game recipe thing wasn't super intuitive

i thought it was super intuitive. i only had to use the wikis once or twice to figure out how power converters and energy relays worked; other than that i was able to figure everything out in game. you just had to press U(uses) or R(requirements) with an item highlighted. doesn't really get much easier than that. rule #1 of playing any mod is "check your binds".

Quote:
I certainly don't view myself as lazy.

neither do i. i never postulated that it had anything to do with laziness. it has to do with having developed an aversion to learning curves. or, perhaps, not having developed an affinity for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:55 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
Quote:

i thought it was super intuitive. i only had to use the wikis once or twice to figure out how power converters and energy relays worked; other than that i was able to figure everything out in game. you just had to press U(uses) or R(requirements) with an item highlighted. doesn't really get much easier than that. rule #1 of playing any mod is "check your binds".

Quote:

neither do i. i never postulated that it had anything to do with laziness. it has to do with having developed an aversion to learning curves. or, perhaps, not having developed an affinity for them.

So, see, the phrase "developed an aversion to learning curves" is kind of insulting. Maybe you didn't say laziness directly, but I associate "avoiding things with a steep learning curve" with laziness. Example: "This is hard to learn. Fuck it, I'm not doing it."

I do tons of things that have a steep learning curve, I don't have an "aversion to learning curves." I'm not doing Tekkit because I don't feel it's worth my (limited) time.

Here's what you're doing right now, even in this conversation: you're insulting the people you want to play your game with you.

I don't understand how you can say things like "no offense, but the whole OMFG I HATE TEKKIT IT CONFUSES ME thing made you guys look like a bunch of babies." and expect people to want to play with you. I certainly don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

So, see, the phrase "developed an aversion to learning curves" is kind of insulting. Maybe you didn't say laziness directly, but I associate "avoiding things with a steep learning curve" with laziness. Example: "This is hard to learn. Fuck it, I'm not doing it."

I do tons of things that have a steep learning curve, I don't have an "aversion to learning curves." I'm not doing Tekkit because I don't feel it's worth my (limited) time.

Here's what you're doing right now, even in this conversation: you're insulting the people you want to play your game with you.

you're taking your interpretations to be the only way to interpret so you can feel righteously offended.

Quote:
I don't have an "aversion to learning curves." I'm not doing Tekkit because I don't feel it's worth my (limited) time.

and ignoring the crux of my initial argument: which was that everything added in tekkit is optional. you could play it just like vanilla and not spend any time figuring out the new toys. those are there for the people who want to spend the time to get them. to extend the shelf-life of a map. i haven't even touched half of it; you pick and choose what you want.

yet you tell me that you didn't like it because you didn't feel it wasn't worth your limited time? that was you reason? what in the fuck? then why do you feel vanilla minecraft is worth your time?

Quote:
to me that was like a bunch of people saying they liked Fighting Game 1 better than Fighting Game 2 purely because Fighting Game 1 had six fewer characters.

just in case you missed it again: the added content was optional.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
Quote:
I don't have an "aversion to learning curves." I'm not doing Tekkit because I don't feel it's worth my (limited) time.

and ignoring the crux of my initial argument: which was that everything added in tekkit is optional. you could play it just like vanilla and not spend any time figuring out the new toys. those are there for the people who want to spend the time to get them. to extend the shelf-life of a map. i haven't even touched half of it; you pick and choose what you want.

yet you tell me that you didn't like it because you didn't feel it wasn't worth your limited time? that was you reason? what in the fuck? then why do you feel vanilla minecraft is worth your time?

Quote:
to me that was like a bunch of people saying they liked Fighting Game 1 better than Fighting Game 2 purely because Fighting Game 1 had six fewer characters.

just in case you missed it again: the added content was optional.

I'll semi-concede to the "added content is optional" argument--

Yes, you can play Tekkit like Vanilla. The part I don't concede on, though, is this: I can hop on and play it like Vanilla, but you'll play it like Tekkit. This is not necessarily bad or anything, but it does change the overall balance of things. And if I'm pleased with the Vanilla experience, I don't think it's unreasonable that I want to continue the Vanilla experience, with everybody else playing it like Vanilla.

Heck, the extra characters thing -- if a fighting game adds new characters I don't like, sure, I'm free to not play with them. But somebody else can and will, and I've gotta learn new techniques/strategies/etc. It's a different game, and maybe I don't want to learn it.

This one, though, I completely disagree with:
S1eepy wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:

you're taking your interpretations to be the only way to interpret so you can feel righteously offended.

No I am fucking not.

Is my interpretation the only one? No, it's not.

But you're missing my point.

Do you not want me to play the game with you? Because this whole thread, you're doing a great job of making me not want to play on a server with you.

If somebody tells me I'm being a baby about something, and that I have an aversion to learning curves, I'm gonna be insulted. I'm pretty sure this is how most normal people would interpret that.

Shit. This quote, right here man:
S1eepy wrote:
but i can't be too mad; when i look at what games are today: most of them are 'push button;; win a prize'. entirely devoid of learning curve and betterment through knowledge and refined gameplay.

I don't know if you're just not aware of the tone you're creating, or if that's how you really feel, but come on, dude. Who would not find that insulting?

If you started a tekkit server, I wouldn't play because I don't like Tekkit.

If you started a plain vanilla server, I wouldn't play on it because of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

look at it like a statement about operant conditioning. through repeated experience people become accustomed to what they've been doing and do develop aversions to the foreign. especially as they get older. ever see stuck in their ways old people? its a notation on how the psyche functions. some people actively combat it through immersing themselves in as much unknown information/experience as they can. not everything i say is directly targeted at you. yet every time i say something you don't like; i must be talking about you.

which leaves me thinking that either
A: you want to be justifiably offended by what i've said, so you brick all other possible interpretations for what i'd said.
or
B: what i've said hit close to home which leads to a defensive reaction.
i lean towards A because of how vehemently you deny the accuracy of the statements.

if i say something like "aussies suck upside-down cock" the reader could either think about themselves and get angry, or they could think of all of the retards that they live around and maybe laugh.

your inherent reaction seems to be to automatically assign a statement to yourself and spin it into being some grand injustice.

remember: the original reasoning you had been talking about (via aim) was to include joe. that's what i'd considered your rationale to be when writing the earlier posts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
look at it like a statement about operant conditioning. through repeated experience people become accustomed to what they've been doing and do develop aversions to the foreign. especially as they get older. ever see stuck in their ways old people? its a notation on how the psyche functions. some people actively combat it through immersing themselves in as much unknown information/experience as they can. not everything i say is directly targeted at you. yet every time i say something you don't like; i must be talking about you.

which leaves me thinking that either
A: you want to be justifiably offended by what i've said, so you brick all other possible interpretations for what i'd said.
or
B: what i've said hit close to home which leads to a defensive reaction.
i lean towards A because of how vehemently you deny the accuracy of the statements.

if i say something like "aussies suck upside-down cock" the reader could either think about themselves and get angry, or they could think of all of the retards that they live around and maybe laugh.

your inherent reaction seems to be to automatically assign a statement to yourself and spin it into being some grand injustice.

remember: the original reasoning you had been talking about (via aim) was to include joe. that's what i'd considered your rationale to be when writing the earlier posts.

There is a world of difference between "you guys are babies" and "aussies suck upside-down cock."

It's not A or B. It's that when you address the entirety of the boards, I include myself in that. Ergo, when you said "you guys were babies about Tekkit," I include myself in that statement.

And it's the condescending attitude, man. (Thats when you talk down to people). That's what pisses me off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:44 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

hurr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:47 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Fallout wrote:
hurr

+1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:16 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Hooooly moley.

Anyway, looks like playing with my own world in Creative fits me perfectly fine, as I get to have almost complete world on where and what I can build (almost as Stomp and I share the world via LAN). The new light ray block gives me tons of ideas of ancient ruins buried deep in the jungle... now to find a large jungle biome.. >:)

But the idea of building and farming my own land in survival mode is appealing to me, so expect to see a couple of moles soon in the survival server.

Sorry if the thread's question frustrated anyone.. not my intention at all. =(

Yummy yummy, yummy yummy
Fruit salAAAaaaAAAAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:21 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzz

Also, getting mc today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Brou wrote:
Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzz

Also, getting mc today.

Hell fucking yes.

After the errand trip for the Filipino food, let's do survival and see who gets to die first!

(Stomp says you'll die first 'cause he'll kill you. He said to insert his laugh: MWA HA HA.)

Yummy yummy, yummy yummy
Fruit salAAAaaaAAAAD!