neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Monster Hunter Tri
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:58 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Before we derail the other thread anymore.

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
See, my issue is that I never put anything into storage, because then I worry that I might not remember what I have when it comes time for crafting etc. Or, do I have access to my item box when I'm not in the field? Like, if I have items needed for crafting in storage, and am at the blacksmith, can I craft or do I need to move those items to my pouch first?

Also, I LOVE using the hammer, tried all the weapons and that and the shortsword were the only ones I really liked. Bowgun was sort of cool but either aiming sucks or I couldn't figure out how to do it, because I couldn't manipulate the y axis at all.
Also also, I'm loving the classic controller plus.

Really at this point I should be discussing this in Arcadia.

I tried out most of the weapons but I seem to like the Lance the most so far, the switch axe is pretty cool though.

What do you mean? When getting the blacksmith to make you stuff? Either way, you only ever need items in your pouch when you are in the field killing/harvesting things.

Post subject: Re: Monster Hunter Tri
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So like, if I want to get something forged, and it requires iron ore, and I don't have any iron ore in my pouch but have some in storage, can I forge it, or do I need to get it out of storage and put it into my pouch first?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:08 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah man, that's it, if it's in your box then you're all good. Imagine all the running back and forth if you had to have it in your pouch D:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Well, I've been playing this game in an unnecessarily tedious fashion, then, haha.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:52 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Don't worry, I was doing the same thing to begin with. How much of the game have you played so far?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:14 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Man, that Escapist review makes this game sound really boring :P

Edit: But then again, I love Demon's Souls

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I have very little respect for game reviews anymore. And if you're talking about the Zero Punctuation on it, honestly as much as I like Yahtzee it was kind of full of shit. You spend by far the majority of your time killing shit, and upgrading weapons is done with the spoils of those kills. I was honestly unsure what he meant when he said it was tedious. The game is called Monster Hunter and it seems like he was waiting for the part where you do something besides kill monsters and work towards killing more monsters.

Also, I'm not too far in, I've been dicking around in Moga woods. I just did the underwater mission where the really big monster shows up and scares the shit out of me. (shit like that terrifies me, being in the water with something much bigger and more adept at moving down there than me....it took me like, an hour to kill the first underwater colossus in SotC just because I spend 45 minutes getting me nerves up to go in and fight it.) Then I unlocked a new area to do quests in and I killed a big raptor thing and now it wants me to capture a big raptor thing.

Also, I have this new area available to do quests in, but can I free roam there like in Moga Woods? Because I can't find a way to access the area when I'm not on a quest.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:41 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
So like, if I want to get something forged, and it requires iron ore, and I don't have any iron ore in my pouch but have some in storage, can I forge it, or do I need to get it out of storage and put it into my pouch first?

Monster Hunter 1 on the PS2 was exactly like that, FFFFUUUUU it made upgrading tedius as all hell. THey fixed it to just take things directly from your box in prety much everything that came after it though.

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I have very little respect for game reviews anymore. And if you're talking about the Zero Punctuation on it, honestly as much as I like Yahtzee it was kind of full of shit. You spend by far the majority of your time killing shit, and upgrading weapons is done with the spoils of those kills. I was honestly unsure what he meant when he said it was tedious. The game is called Monster Hunter and it seems like he was waiting for the part where you do something besides kill monsters and work towards killing more monsters.

Also, I'm not too far in, I've been dicking around in Moga woods. I just did the underwater mission where the really big monster shows up and scares the shit out of me. (shit like that terrifies me, being in the water with something much bigger and more adept at moving down there than me....it took me like, an hour to kill the first underwater colossus in SotC just because I spend 45 minutes getting me nerves up to go in and fight it.) Then I unlocked a new area to do quests in and I killed a big raptor thing and now it wants me to capture a big raptor thing.

Also, I have this new area available to do quests in, but can I free roam there like in Moga Woods? Because I can't find a way to access the area when I'm not on a quest.

I fucking LOVED my first time through MH1 simply because every time i came across a new monster to kill it took most of the 50 minutes it gave you, and it ALWAYS felt like a goddamn epic achievement when you pulled it off. Now-a-days i run through shit in nothing but low grade V-prey suit for the KO null skill, and rape faces. Yeah i stil love the shit out of the series, but it stopped being epic when i was soloing 2 Raths with out any problem.

Also, on the epic conquest note: FUCK YOU FLAMELURKER! IN THE ASS! That doublenigger is by and far the single hardest thing i've had to do in Demon's Souls ever. I read about al the bullshit glitches while looking for a legit strategy, and refused to use any of them. I ended up playing Turtle Style with the only 2 pieces of Brushwood gear i could equip (Body and Help, with a Purple Flame Shield. just circled his ass with my guard up the whole time waiting for the chance to get in a swing or 2 (3 if i was goddamn lucky) until he croaked. I was less impressed by the Dragon God i stumbled into immediately after. I was NOT expecting a boss fight to lead directly into another boss fight.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I haven't been paying much attention at all to what skills I have in Monster Hunter thus far. Out of curiosity though, how do I check that, and is that solely based on equipment? Like, is there a leveling system at all in the game, does stuff get better the more I use it, etc? I've been using a hammer all game, does this mean I have a better proficiency in hammers, or is it the same as if I'd been using a sword and then just now decided to switch to a hammer?
I enjoy that the game doesn't have a lot of on-screen info distracting from the atmosphere, and I like the monsters not having health gauges, but at times it's difficult for me to determine certain important information.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I haven't been paying much attention at all to what skills I have in Monster Hunter thus far. Out of curiosity though, how do I check that, and is that solely based on equipment? Like, is there a leveling system at all in the game, does stuff get better the more I use it, etc? I've been using a hammer all game, does this mean I have a better proficiency in hammers, or is it the same as if I'd been using a sword and then just now decided to switch to a hammer?
I enjoy that the game doesn't have a lot of on-screen info distracting from the atmosphere, and I like the monsters not having health gauges, but at times it's difficult for me to determine certain important information.

Not entirely sure about Tri, but all the other MH games it was entirely armor based. In MH1 there were predetermined sets that unlocked certain skills. All V-prey was no KO (dizzy after getting your ass kicked) generally any full "set" unlocked something, with a few like my mian online set that gave you better rewards at teh end of a mission. There was SERIOUS debate on the Capcom forums whether or not it was MORE rewards, or better RARER rewards. There wasn't much in the way of "official" data for that one.

With the PSP versions, each piece had certain points towards unlocking certain skills, one of the best being Earplug, which made you roar immune, GREAT when using things like Hammer, Dual swords and guns, that kept you from being able to block.

The last 2 PSP MH games upped it with Armor spheres, that could be socketed into most gear (weapons included) that gave you points towards certain skills also, so you had more mix and match freedom but still get the skills you needed or wanted. This usually led to insane theory crafting resulting in things like this:

Also fuck Youtube being nazis about the "copyright audio" bullshit, or at least not making appealing those claims easier.

MH1 was the least of the hard core number crunching games, it was mostly pure fun and i recommend it above all the others, but online is dead as of a few years ago, me and a few people pulled a Halo 2 with it, but it wasnt popular enough to get that kind of attention from the "media". But it also gave you the least data on things like weapon element. Yeah BDS is nice physical and Dragon element, but HOW MUCH? Nobody knew. which led to people like Yuffie67 and Akubarix doing REFUCKINGDICULOUS testing till they got numbers they could prove.

If you want grteat Monster Hunter videos from across the ages Subscribe to MoisesL, Yuffie 67, i THINK Akubarix still had some up, TM10, and a bit of searching will get you a few others.
Though a lot of them go tto the point that all the games were so easy they resorted to doing things like hacking the PSP games to put secret end game boss dragons into the arena (very tiny, 1 zone only) and fighting them massively under geared. Or doing things like playing king of the hill to determine who gets to solo something:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:40 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yup, entirely armour based, you can upgrade your armour with armour spheres, armour sphere+ and adv. armour spheres(that's as far as I've gotten). There's no levelling for weapons, the only real factor there is your skill as a player.
There's a skill you can get that alert you when a monster is ready to be captured but usually you can tell by looking at the monster itself.
I was just playing online, fought a Jhen Mohran. It is big, bigger than the ship we were chasing it on!
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... Mohran.png

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:02 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Heh, gota love the obligatory huge ass mofo monsters. Though my favorite is still the floating head of Cthulhu.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:18 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Here's a video of what I fought.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:09 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I haven't tried the online yet.
Also, is it normal that I can't do very long combos with the hammer? The most I've managed is like, a three hit thing just spamming the strong attack button, the weak attack doesn't seem to chain into or from anything.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:29 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, hammers usually arent much for combos. You either have the 3 hit ending with the golf swing, or you can charge up an attack and either spin like a top, though end the spin with a golf swing before it's too late or you lose your balance and take a moment to recover, or you charge into a ground pound which is more like 1 really huge damage hit with minor AoE.

In most of the MH games a properly used hammer is easily the highest damage out-putter around.

Not sure if Tri uses this also, but in the 2 latest PSP MH games, if you whack something in the head enough with a hammer you can cause the same effect as a Flash Bomb.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Some random guy who joined me only was using a hammer, and he bashed the monster in the head, stunning it.
When I'm using the Switch Axe or Longsword it usually goes 3-hits-dodge-repeat. I like how different each weapon is to use.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:23 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I've seen a few switch axe vids, and i really like the look of it. I was primarily a GS or SnS user. The Axe looks like a VERY versatile weapon, with some really nice long combos.

I'm a little disappointed that they removed the Hunting Horns though. The ability to buff the party with your weapon was really kinda neat.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah the Switch Axe is pretty awesome, and if you get bored of it morph it into a Great Sword! :coookieesssss:
It has a "RAWR IMMA GUNNA SWING MY AXE AROUND!" combo that drains your stamina but is good for clearing smaller monsters and the uppercut is just pure fun.
This is the first Monster Hunter game I've heard of/played, it was an impulse buy.
They have Hunting horns as items in this if that's what you mean, I combine them with other things to make a healing horn and an antidote horn, heard you can combine them with other things to raise attack or defense as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:28 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Nono, Hunting Horns were an actual weapon. Kinda like a hammer, but instead of charge up attacks, you could play music with it, and playing different notes in certain orders added buffs like your stamina decreases slower, ro you get the same attack up buff you would from a power seed.

There was even one in MHF that was actually a guitar made of stone, called Basarios Rock.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:16 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Wow, that is pretty awesome.

Stayed up pretty late last night playing this online, ended up helping out 2 low rank guys complete some quests.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Are Gunlances still in Tri? GOD those were OP if you used them right.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:55 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Are Gun Lances a separate weapon or just a special type of Lance?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the two low rank guys I helped out only spoke Spanish. Made things a little tricky but we managed somehow. While trying to capture a Royal Ludroth they kept saying "trampa?" which I had no idea what they were talking about so I kept saying no, then eventually I realised they were asking me if we should lay a trap or if the monster is ready to be trapped.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Gunlances started out in MH1 as just a fire element lance, like Gunhammer. In MH2 they became their own special type of lance that could shoot, with unlimited ammo, and a very powerful charge attack.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I still haven't played online. Random multiplayer is just typically very unappealing to me, hell, I quit WoW once I reached the point I couldn't just solo everything. But I'd like to play with you guys some time if you don't mind that I'm still kind of just starting and have fairly shitty equipment and whatnot. Also I have neither a keyboard nor that wii voice thing, will that be a problem?
Also, I LOVE using the hammer, none of the other weapons I've tried have seemed nearly as fun, although the Switch Axe was close. But looking at some stuff with the long sword, I think when I unlock that I might give it a try.
Also also, if I obtain items/materials/weapons online, do I keep them when I play offline?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:08 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I don't mind running through a bunch of easy quests with you, I was doing a few lower rank quests last night.
Having no Wii speak or keyboard could be a little problem but you can customise your shoutouts online, so short messages that you can bring up quickly. Though a usb keyboard can generally be handier.
You items/materials/weapons are saved to your character whether you are online or offline.
Anyway, if you want to have a look at online I'd be willing to play with you, just be warned that most monsters are a lot harder online than they are offline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next