neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Monster Hunter Tri
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:58 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I would like it because it means less "LOL UR NOT USING THE MOST OPTIMAL SET POSSIBL U SUX LOLOLOL"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:33 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

No, unfortunately that will NEVER go away. Not in MH, or WoW or any other game where people can be elitist gearwhores.

I'm fine with a bit more environment interaction, i'd LOVE for some of the trees/rocks and stuff to actually STOP a monster once in a while (MHtri did a decent job of this, but by no means perfect) instead of tails/fireballs just ignoring them. But that bit with the hopping from pillar to pillar, or riding on the back of the 'los seems a bit excessive to me.

The game is called Monster HUNTER, i wasnt more actual fucking HUNTING. I want there to be a USE for binoculars. I want creeping along crouched down to actually MATTER, instead of being ignored and wyverns just noticing you outright, the first time they enter a zone, and youre behind them when the do. I want people to not think of traps and flash bombs as crutches, but necessary survival items, to be used intelligently, not "lolflashbombspamuwinz". That idea is why i actually bought the game. Having to "outwit" somethjing you should never in life be able to go toe-to-toe with seemed like a great goddamn idea for a change. And while the series is one of my all time favorites, i'll always remember that first bit of disappointment when i realized it WAS just another hack and slasher game.

I want me some fucking "Cabella's Dragon Hunter 2012"... only, you know, fun and good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:20 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I agree with a few things there, I remember buying binoculars and then getting in a map and realising what a waste they were, I want bigger areas that are less broken up, crouching should matter I want to sneak up on a Monster for once. I don't mind the idea of jumping on the Rathalos' back, as long it takes some skill and not just a quick-time/button mashy thing. I'll admit that the pillar jumping seemed a bit out of place but I'll reserve my full judgements when I can actually get my hands on the game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:05 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, i'll obviously have to keep an eye on this until actual release. I'd love to be able to change my mind on this one, but from what i saw it seems theyre trying too hard to cram in gimmicks for the "kids" who bitch about how the game currently plays.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:08 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Finally worked up the nerve to take on a Deviljho with some friends, totally made it my bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Nice. After taking a ton of time off from MH to play demon's and Dark souls, i came back to do some Barioth farming with a friend from work to make my Sabertooth lance. Wow, he used to be one of my most feared monsters, i fucking HATED fighting him, but now that shit was effortless. I think the entire + rank fight i used my 3 starter meds, and a couple plain herbs. We then proceeded to absolutely destroy a Blos+ in about 10 minutes.

Demon's and Dark souls is apparently an amazing MH trainer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:57 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, Barioth used to scare the piss out of me but now I have little trouble putting one down. The only tihngs I still have trouble with in HR rank are Rathalos and Diablos but that's mainly due to my low defense, those things can kill me in one hit D:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:36 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Oh, i can still EASILY be 1 shot by more than a few attacks, I just got a whole hell of a lot better at dodging them. Things that on a low HR that would almost kill me, like Barioths wall bounce will still kill me, it just has to actually LAND now, and once you know what's coming, its easy to avoid.

What i'm still surprised at is how many people STILL havnet noticed that things like sonics and flashes dont work when something is enraged. Seriously Blos goes into rage mode, digs under, and suddenly 3 people blow 3 sonics each trying to get one to work... :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:26 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Ha yeah, I've seen a bunch of people higher rank than me and I wonder how the hell they made it. "Durrr, the Diablos is huffing black smoke, I wonder what that means... oh well, lets waste all my sonic bombs!"

I think you need to play with the right people, I play with my mate and his 10 year old son and we use steam voice chat while we play, we seem to work pretty well together.
We all recently started getting good with new weapons, I've moved from Switch-Axe to using the Sword and Shield more often, the only time I haven't felt invincible with the sword was underwater, it's short reach makes it hard thought once that Lagi got on land I fucking destroyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I played a lot during my Thanksgiving break. Also working on upgrading my Barioth lance. I agree that Barioth seemed really hard at first, but now is kind of a chump. He's fast, but once you know his pattern he's not so bad. He's actually one of few monsters I enjoy using Sword and Shield for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Necrosaro wrote:

kinda. i died more in monster hunter than i did in dark souls. its one of those games where things are only difficult until you know where shit is. you just sprint circles around bosses until you get an opening (with a few exceptions). other than that its block->counter or just stagger them with a big ass sword before they even get close. with the exception of the last boss and the double boss; the game was pretty easy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

S1eepy wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

kinda. i died more in monster hunter than i did in dark souls. its one of those games where things are only difficult until you know where shit is. you just sprint circles around bosses until you get an opening (with a few exceptions). other than that its block->counter or just stagger them with a big ass sword before they even get close. with the exception of the last boss and the double boss; the game was pretty easy.

See, bosses were the only part i ever had trouble in Demon's Souls (excluding that fucking swamp). I could breeze through most levels my first time just by being somewhat cautious, but bosses generally fucked me over hard. For me, MH is generally super easy once i know what's what with a wyvern. Theyre almost completely predictable once you know their behaviors. In fact, i actually have MORE trouble when i have more than 1 person with me in MH, as the monsters become harder to read, choosing targets at random. In Demon.s the more people you had the easier it got, even 1 helper trivialized most bosses it seemed.

Also, S1eepy, if you havent yet, add me on PSN. ID is Esterk. I just convinced a friend to pick up Demon's Souls, and would love one more person along for the ride. I'm actually trying a more magic/faith based build this time, so it's like learning it all over again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:09 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Necrosaro wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

See, bosses were the only part i ever had trouble in Demon's Souls (excluding that fucking swamp). I could breeze through most levels my first time just by being somewhat cautious, but bosses generally fucked me over hard. For me, MH is generally super easy once i know what's what with a wyvern. Theyre almost completely predictable once you know their behaviors. In fact, i actually have MORE trouble when i have more than 1 person with me in MH, as the monsters become harder to read, choosing targets at random. In Demon.s the more people you had the easier it got, even 1 helper trivialized most bosses it seemed.

Also, S1eepy, if you havent yet, add me on PSN. ID is Esterk. I just convinced a friend to pick up Demon's Souls, and would love one more person along for the ride. I'm actually trying a more magic/faith based build this time, so it's like learning it all over again.

i played on my friends ps3. i had two characters.

first was mega endurance. we're talking sprinting in Havel's armor levels of endurance. i favored the zweihander for a weapon. usually using stam regen gear. other than 16 int for remedy everything else went into strength and endurance. i'd switch between 2h and 1h a lot; usually aiming to stagger. for bosses locking on was a dumb idea. i'd just sprint around until they did the attack i wanted them to and throw some damage at the opening. repeat.

the second was full int. this made bosses a cake walk. and just about any encounter really. the only rule was ''don't get hit''.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:01 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

S1eepy wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

i played on my friends ps3. i had two characters.

first was mega endurance. we're talking sprinting in Havel's armor levels of endurance. i favored the zweihander for a weapon. usually using stam regen gear. other than 16 int for remedy everything else went into strength and endurance. i'd switch between 2h and 1h a lot; usually aiming to stagger. for bosses locking on was a dumb idea. i'd just sprint around until they did the attack i wanted them to and throw some damage at the opening. repeat.

the second was full int. this made bosses a cake walk. and just about any encounter really. the only rule was ''don't get hit''.

Yeah, i was really disappointed how many bosses had lock on attacks. Capra Demon doing homing missile style jumping attacks was bullshit. Also i've noticed enemies being WAY better at dodging than you are, they simply have zero hit box while in a dodge, where if i so much as roll at slightly the wrong time i'm knocked out of the dodge and usually almost killed.

Doing a lower level run through is fun as hell though. So far at 15 i'm a good portion of the way into the depths, and took a side trip into the Darkroot first area to kill the butterfly and get that sweet poise ring. I'm actually a bit farther than i've been doing a normal run though, and it's really not too bad once you get used to everything. I'm also now currently a Sunbro, though that only lasts until i can join the Gravelords. The idea of hide and seek PVP that can infect at first 3 worlds at once, but even spread beyond that intrigues me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Getting into this game again now that I'm off school. You folks are never online. I have like, 3 pages of friends on my friends list and yet none of them are EVER on. FOREVER ALONE.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Getting into this game again now that I'm off school. You folks are never online. I have like, 3 pages of friends on my friends list and yet none of them are EVER on. FOREVER ALONE.

You can solidly blame Demon's and Dark souls for my absence. I talked one of my work frineds into Demons and we basically ran through the entire game together. Also fuck scrub deleveling invaders.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:39 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

You should help me farm Diablos for Stout horns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

When I hit rank 31 I found out I needed 4 Wyvern Stones to upgrade my axe, I'm now 48 and I have not seen one...

Also, Alatreon is a motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, FUCK the Wyvern and BirdWyvern stones, i'v only ever seen one of each, and i farmed the hell out of them for a few days straight the minute i hit 31.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I JUST got my first Wyvern stone and I'm HR 50.
Also, Neon Jackal, how did you fight Alatreon if you're still HR 48? Was there an event quest, like the Deviljho one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

My mate is HR 50 and it's his urgent quest.
Fought him 3 times now, 3rd time I actually did a lot of damage to it but still we lost.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Yeah, I just tried it the other day, fuck that shit, haha. I'll wait until I have some better armor sets. It's just kind of a shame that full Deviljho armor pretty much outclasses anything else for almost any weapon...I dig variety. Right now I'm working on high rank agnaktor armor for a lancing set and probably a mixed Diablos (alright got all of that) and Jhen set for Greatsword. I know Focus (the quick charge ability) is considered noobish but honestly I don't have the patience to use Greatsword without it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:24 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I don't know, my mate who is primarily a GS user really liked the Focus ability, being able to pull off charges quicker seems like a good idea to me.
I'm still not fully aware of which skills are good and bad, when using the SA I just had Attack(L) and Critical Eye +3, I didn't know how important affinity was but I was using the Barroth SA and I didn't like have a negative affinity.
I traded down Attack(L) to (S) and got evasion +1 at the moment, I don't know how good the skill is but it felt good enough for me to be able to take down a Diablos easy using a SnS. Since I'm using the Almigty Dahaka SnS I aiming towards the Status Affect Up skill, but I've only really noticed the bnahabra set has it.
Also tried a Deviljho again last night, ran out of time D:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i shuold get my wii operational again. i think i was around HR30 but i pulled that off in about a week. i ran around in ludroth armor with the skull helm. i passed up lagi and ian because i felt they didn't have anything to offer aside from DEF which the ludroth armor more than compensated for if its hit negation is at max.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:04 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I have a choice between Evasion +2 or Evasion +1 and Evade Distance, what should I do?

Also, still a little annoyed at the region specific servers, I only know one guy in my region that plays(and we work really well together) and any randoms we find to join us are either completely useless or elitist jerks barking orders at us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next