neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Monster Hunter Tri
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Evade distance is fairly useless. Evasion + increases how many invincibility frames evasion gives you. Evade distance just lets you roll a bit further...it basically sucks.

Also, Sleepy, Lagi armor is one of the best sets in the game up until a point, if you're using an element-heavy weapon. Element attack up and lots of slots to gem into. I have a Lagi set with Element Attack Up, Evasion +1, and Critical Eye that I use for Sword and Shield, Longsword, and Lance (until I finish my Agnaktor set).

Basically, element doesn't work the way it seems like it works given the information the game displays. The general understanding is the more often a weapon hits (IE faster weapons) the more element matters. Element on a greatsword does essentially nothing. Same with hammer, unless you're using the (terrible) spin attack. Sword and Shield, by contrast, is really element heavy, making Low Rank Lagi armor one of the best sets for it.

Something to keep in mind, in general, is that defense/resistance differences are pretty much completely unimportant. The difference they make is pretty minor except with certain very element heavy attacks which are by far the easiest attacks to evade anyway. All that matters with an armor set is what skill points it gives. This is why full Low Rank Rathian armor is the immediate sign of a noob. Or, if they're also using the Guan Dao longsword, then probably a troll.

Also, I made the Shining Soul longsword from the 2 Lagi event. It's awesome. I rarely use longsword online because I'm afraid of tripping my teammates (I've played with too many longsword users) but it's a lot of fun and tears apart rathian/rathalos in no time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i prefer the undertaker on them. run around and wait until they land and charge the second they do. the resulting hits (weak to dragon) results in a stagger which allows for a second point blank charge. rinse and repeat about 3 times and its gg.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:08 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I hate the lance charge in most situations. It drains sharpness way too fast and the damage output is less than what you get with the regular three hit combo on repeat, no matter how element-heavy your weapon is. It's good for closing in on an enemy, and even then pretty much only in single player since it knocks everyone else around. It is useful for chasing a retreating enemy, for getting a quick stagger (as you said), and for inflicting status very quickly (my only real use of it), so I won't say I never use it...but I just don't really like the attack. It's way too situational, and usually just results in pissing everyone else off when you knock them over. Or maybe I just play with too many bad players.

Lance charging with the Gobul lance on Lagiacrus I can usually paralyze him 4 times in one hunt, though, so it does definitely have its uses. Just gotta be really careful about my teammates when I'm doing that.

Also, having two para lancers lance charging and two hammer users constantly hitting a monsters head can keep it incapacitated for basically an entire hunt, but it's incredibly boring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:12 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I've killed Alatreon and Deviljho now, and honestly I'm not sure if there's anything left in this game for me. I'm not enough of a completionist to try to get every armor or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Me and a friend played a few hours with a couple of randoms, I now officially hate Long Swords and Bombs now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:34 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Most longsword users are idiots, and bombs should only be used situationally, but longswords can be not terrible in team play if people actually know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:50 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I've killed Alatreon and Deviljho now, and honestly I'm not sure if there's anything left in this game for me. I'm not enough of a completionist to try to get every armor or whatever.

The next step is to randomize your fun. Try new things like no armor runs, or use weapons you HHHHAAATE.

OR, play king of the hill:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:01 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

To put this particular person into perspective, there were 3 GS uses all lining up a trapped monsters with a level 3 charge, that's 3 level 3 charges about to be unleashed on this dudes head, when just before we hit that BOMBLOL! We all go flying. :/
And these two people had 5 skills(Wearing full Helios/Selene armour) Sharpness +1 sounds great, but not gemming out blunt edge makes it kind of pointless, HG earplugs seems useful at least, but demonic blessing sounded bad and Auto guard is totally pointless if you have a LS, I don't get it, at HR 45 you should have at least a little understanding of skills by now right?

I haven't beaten an Alatreon without help from better hunters yet, but I'm already trying new weapons, I'm primarily a Switch-Axe/Sword and Shield user but I've been trying out the Great Sword.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:07 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

You'd be surprised how many people I see above HR51 who obviously don't know how armor skills work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:56 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I'm HR50(and have bee nfor a while, curse you Alatreon!) and I recently moved to Expert servers hoping to avoid idiots and "pls halp jhen" guys, among others.
It didn't take me long to figure out skills are importent, but it did take me a while to figure out which skills were important.

Last night we discovered one thing, only things we can't beat consistently or at least have a hard time killing are Rathalos and Agnaktor(I'm excluding Deviljho and Alatreon because fuck those guys :P ).
Rathalos gets me with cheap combos like windgust straight into that big fire attack or whatever, then I get up stunned and cop another attack straight away. Agnaktor is only difficult because we've barely fought it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Neon Jackal wrote:
I'm HR50(and have bee nfor a while, curse you Alatreon!) and I recently moved to Expert servers hoping to avoid idiots and "pls halp jhen" guys, among others.
It didn't take me long to figure out skills are importent, but it did take me a while to figure out which skills were important.

Last night we discovered one thing, only things we can't beat consistently or at least have a hard time killing are Rathalos and Agnaktor(I'm excluding Deviljho and Alatreon because fuck those guys :P ).
Rathalos gets me with cheap combos like windgust straight into that big fire attack or whatever, then I get up stunned and cop another attack straight away. Agnaktor is only difficult because we've barely fought it.

I used to have problems with Adnaktor, but then I fought him like a thousand times in order to get his armor set and low he's easy as all fuck.

I don't have much trouble with either of the Raths, but when they're both together they sometimes fuck me up. Personally, I have the most trouble probably (besides Alatreon/Deviljho) with Barioth, just because I wish he'd stay the fuck in place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

That's funny because Barioth is so easy for me now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:39 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I don't like, die during Barioth, he just annoys the crap out of me because I have to keep chasing him around which, depending on the weapon I'm using, can be really annoying. He's the only monster I prefer using Sword and Shield against.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:58 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, him bouncing around can get a little frustrating, but with my Almighty Dahaka(SnS) he's pretty easy to keep up with, especially when I paralyse him :P
I'm still pretty confident against him with a Switch Axe, but I get hit a lot more.
A friend of mine got a new Wii and started a new character, he decided to learn the Hammer this time and I'm helping him grind HR while learning how to use a Great Sword so the LR battles are still challenging for me. It's so devastating lining up a charge attack only to have the monster turn around/to have another player knock me over/to have another player stun the monster just as I release so that I miss the attack, I am getting a little bit better at it though but still bad enough that it takes me like 30+ minutes to kill a Rathian with a Great Sword and about 5-10 with a Switch Axe or Sword and Shield.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

still playing this? damn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:31 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I play it almost every weekend with a friend or two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Fallout wrote:
still playing this? damn

It's got replay for YEARS. Hell i'd still be playing MH1 if the servers were up.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:09 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Speaking of replay value, if any of you guys have reached HR 51 yet and are getting bored with the existing quests, a fairly good mod has recently come out which adds new quests, weapons, and armor. I haven't tried it yet because I'm still enjoying the vanilla content and also don't know anyone else who has the mod, but if any of you are interested....

I think it's called "Ultimate Monster Hunter Tri" or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Since the servers for this are dying soon, decided to have one last proper hunt with a friend, went over to his place and setup, played all day. Finally beat the Alatreon(twice! and with no deaths either time!) and surpassed HR 50.
Also, I am still yet to see a Wyvern stone, and given that this was probably my last time playing, I am really annoyed. All I wanted was to fully upgrade my switch-axe to the Soulbreaker(P) which needs four of those fucking wyvern stones, Four... and I never saw one in the game ever.
MH3U comes out in about two weeks, so hopefully I'll have better luck there XD

EDIT: Here's a video my friend made of one of our hunts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'll probably not be able to afford a Wii U for another month or two, but when I can, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or whatever they're calling it will be the first game I get.

Also, congrats on Alatreon. He can be an asshole. Have you beaten Deviljho yet? I finally beat the giant event quest version of him a while back. That shit was rough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, I've beaten one Deviljho, captured but it still counts!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Playing MH3U on my Wii U now, Having to start from the very beginning I've decided to use weapons I suck with or have never used.
Main weapon at the moment is the Hunting Horn which I'm having a lot of fun with, comboing attacks against a monster into a song which gives me boosts is awesome, also, MY WEAPON IS BAGPIPES AND THAT IS AWESOME AND TOTALLY NOT ANNOYING FOR OTHER HUNTERS!
Also trying Dual Swords and Great Sword, DS isn't too different from SnS but I still suck with GS.
Also also, Nibelsnarf is an awesome monster name.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14