neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:08 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

ummmm...fuck yes

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/for ... antic-city

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I kinda feel like this thread is for me and Jessie to talk about stuff.

So with gencon coming up I've been signing up for events and things:
Fighting Arena (the foam sword fighting stuff)
Fighting tourney (same as above)
Settlers of Catan World Championship Qualifier
D&D Next creating the core (designers discuss exactly what is going into D&D5th edition)
D&D Next demo game (trying it out)

I may also attempt the Munchkin World Championships.

Other news: In September The Guild and Penny Arcade Munchkin expansions come out YAY!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:34 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Awesome bro. I've made a 450 pts team with my current heroclix. a rather strange team, especially since im actually using Daredevil, but he fucking has mind control. WTF?!

I hope to soon go up to my local store and get a crash (HAHAHA THATS ME!) course on how to play again. The local store is really nice, as far as the guys running it. Like when i started buying comics again, i had like 5 Fantastic four comics and one was the issue 600, with 100 pages and stuff, was like 8 bucks. The guy ringing me up looked at it and was like "fuck bro, im not charging you 8 bucks for a comic... how about 3" i was like :coookieesssss:

So yeah, i am glad to call it my local store. and its not too far from me. like 15-20 minute drive. They play magic on saturdays and heroclix on sundays. Since i will have access to the car on sundays, i will try and be there a lot in the coming months.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So last night I stop by my shop (Castle) to see if anyone is there since the owner usually lets a certain group of us 5-6 trusted regulars stay until whenever and even lock the store up ourselves. A few of us even have keys to the store. Anyways, so I go in to see if anyone is there at 8pm, talk to owner about a soda order since I buy and deliver all of their pepsi and mountain dew (etc etc). I usually also help them come up with sales and promotions and visable ways for them to work. So we're going through some stuff and another guy comes in and we start talking about this game we played that has about 20 problems. 20 REALLY BAD PROBLEMS. It's around 9pm.

Suddenly, as happens in awesome places like comic or game shops, I'm leaving at 1am and us three have notecards with things written on them and the bare-bones version of a unique card game down on the table. We basically need to flesh out some of the more random things but the base core of gameplay is sitting there. So somehow we may have created a game. I wonder will this will go and actually hope this doesn't fizzle out. There is some room here for a nice little $10-12 card game people can play in like 20-30 minutes. Kittens in a Blender, Poo, and Nuts style.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:35 pm 
KSK Mastermind

awesome Bogey! Can't wait to hear more about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
awesome Bogey! Can't wait to hear more about it.

we'll see what the hell happens. It's easy to have an idea and then the follow through is complete blah. Thus the difference between the ambitious and the achievers.

Also, did anyone see the kickstarter for this guy who wants to fund a game him and his buddies have been playing around a campfire. He wants to make it because he thinks it's fun and people would enjoy it. The guy created Mafia aka Are You A Werewolf? He is now trying to fund it so he can make it. I believe the theme of his is even Mafia. So he is trying to straight copy a work that is already out. I don't think anyone who has seen it has mentioned it to him and I don't know if I want to. The funding goal is only $500 so...eh. Just found it quite humorous.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:43 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

double post for new game of awesomeness.

The game is slightly old when it comes to "new" but at 2010 in the boardgame world you can miss something so it's new enough. Okay, they had about 50 different new demo games to try from retailers just sending them and I decided to choose "Puzzle Strike"

What is Puzzle Strike? It is the board game version of Super Puzzle Fighter from Capcom. Seriously. They did the art the same and gameplay is basically just like it. It's a deckbuilding game using coins instead of cards and doing the whole tetris thing.

My only small complaint is you must purchase the first expansion to get 4 really nice playmats and a hard guard so you can lay your tiles down. Other than that....wow. We played about 3 games last night. Each character has 3 special chips that are essentially their special moves. My favorite from last night was The Panda. The game ends when your turn ends with 10 gems on your board. Panda's coins literally force you to consistantly be in the 8-10 gem area. The Panda basically almost loses every round. But just like someone playing tetris attack or lumines or puzzle fighter, he combos things hard sending them back at the opponent. LOVE!

Here is a dude doing a kinda not fantastic review because...I don't enjoy his style. The chip thing I believe is fantastic.

=-=-

here is the upgrade pack with the nice playmat and shields that I would say are kinda needed. Really, it is the only sucky thing almost needing the expansion. Cool part though is you get 3 chips for every character that have the exact same names. So you have 2 choices for each special maneuver. EDIT: Apparently the new 3 chips for every character are to fix problems they say they found and are essentially the "patches" for those characters. Which sucks. They kinda nerfed the panda a little. He has power, but he doesn't get that free big money that was his most saving grace.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So this passed week I've played a slightly simple, yet really fun, deck building game (Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil), a fantastic board game (white water), and been completely overwhelmed with choices of things to do at Gencon in August.

I have a few events (settlers of catan world championship qualifiers) but other than that I have a hugely open weekend. I'm going to just go and demo so many random board and card games. :awesome:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:31 am 
KSK Mastermind

awesome stuff, gives me an idea for something you can do for RA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:03 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So a few Gencon things are set in stone and other odd bits I don't know how to feel about until it happens.

1) Settlers of Catan: Star Trek will debut....yay?
2) There will now be a hall specifically for board, card, miniture, and rpg playtesting. While I don't mind that idea a few things concern me. A) Not being able to demo a brand new game right at the companies booth because of this. I wouldn't have ever tried the Penny Arcade Deckbuilding Game if Crypotozoic didn't have it right there. The game came out months later. B) Although free, I completely don't like having to register times via tickets. I'm hoping that you can still just walk into the room during some random time and sit in on a game that hasn't begun yet.
Huge plus, all checking out of new games isn't set by the dealer's room opening and closing clock. I love that idea.
3) Catan World Qualifier Tourney...if I win, somehow (and I won't), I'll get to go to Germany for the finals I believe. So that is a huge plus. I'm nervous to play against people who treat that game like the only thing that exists.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

i'm a beaner so growing up we didn't have board games we had this:

i would only get to play fancy white people games at school when we had "parties" in the class room.

later in life i got Heroscape which is epic but i never have anyone to play with

:911::

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:34 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I have no idea what that first picture is, but it looks awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loter%C3%ADa_(board_game)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

how's this for conditioning:
you grew up playing the lottery
we grew up playing monopoly
:coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

S1eepy wrote:
how's this for conditioning:
you grew up playing the lottery
we grew up playing monopoly
:coookieesssss:

:cookieshuh: holy shit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JF ... B005JFNE8G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JN ... gaihuma-20

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i've played it before. i have to say. . . it's the laziest card game i've ever seen.
you can just cut up a piece of paper, write shit on the pieces, and draw a hand from a hat. then have people play 'black' cards off the top of their head.
it's the same game as apples to apples. that's kind of like buying a deck for werewolf.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JFNE8G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cardagaihuma-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005JFNE8G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JN ... gaihuma-20

have you ever considered Say Anything? It is in the Apples to Apples / Cards Against Humanity realm, but it uses your mind to make the answers.

Basically one player has a card with 6 questions on it, they pick one of those 6 questions and ask. The other players then write down on a dry erase card their answers. The question asker then secretly chooses their answer. The other 3 then bet chips on what they think the asker will answer. First to 10-12 wins.

If you're crazy enough it makes Cards Against Humanity possibly tame. We had "Worst thing to collect" amd I wrote in "Baby heads that have adult cocks in their mouths."

Why? Because that would be the worst thing to collect.

http://www.amazon.com/North-Star-Games- ... y+anything

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:29 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Sounds kind of like Loaded Questions with the right group, haha.

I might have to check this one out.

I got to play CAH with a group of dude nerds from the sci-fi/fantasy club tonight. That makes me happy :awesome:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:47 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nice. It's awesome you got some games in already. Enjoying the expansions?

Actually, Wil Wheaton throwing down some of his favorite games on the internet via Tabletop has led to some interesting games I just have never looked at. Recently, he did Dixit and that game has a concept that is, again, slightly in the vein of the Apples to Apples / CAH / Say Anything route, but the style and idea is far much more...intriguing / elegant.

From personal experience I would suggest a few games that are usually crowd pleasers.

1) Encore - Group game for people who can sit around and sing out music. It's kind of like Pictionary but with songs and it is a blast.
2) Puzzle Strike - There are videos above, and you can play for free online. It is a board game version of Super Puzzle Fighter.
3) Killer Bunnies - If you like Munchkin it is in the same realm but overall different. This has a European kick to it in that as long as you have 1 single carrot and a bunny, you always have a chance at winning.

Overall in the board game market that is something European designers really have over everyone. In most of their games every single player is in the hunt and has a shot to win until the very end. It always makes for a much more engaging game as no one feels their completely screwed really ever. Even in games of Catan where I have 4 points and everyone else has 8, it only takes one road or city to change the game around.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:22 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I've played the first expansion with Napalm man, but the second one just came out, I think? I don't have them yet, but I'm looking forward to playing with them when my brother gets down here because he's having them shipped to his place (I don't really trust the PO Box address I have here yet, haha)

Also, I player Gamma World today and it was fucking win.

Post apocalyptic D&D side game using 4th edition rules. It's fucking awesome.

my character is a hawkoid/mind coercer named Bird Brain (because he uses brain powers, he's a bird...and his int is a fucking 4. it works on multiple levels :coookieesssss: ), and it was me and one other guy for a bit, the other player was a rat swarm/pyrokineticist (I think he decided that his character was a bunch of tiny red smurfs working collectively. Also, they all have lego minifig armor on). On the random loot table for starting gear, I rolled and got a horse, a pick up truck, a canoe, and a minifridge. So, we have a pretty sweet little oregon trail style caravan now, haha.

Anyway, we were on the quest to find The All. A giant place full of old world technology. We left "Insert Name Here" (a town actually named that, because they put the sign up as a joke and it stuck), and we went down the int_rsta__ to the ruins of the Old City to find the All.

We got ambushed by a couple of pig men, and wrecked their shit. Since he's a pyrokineticist, we just dumped their cooked meat in the flatbed and we're like "Fuck it, meat for later!" Smurfswarm man - actually, his character's name is Tim - decided to take a power nap while I powered on ahead with us to get some distance to the All.

We had heard rumors that up ahead at the o_erpa__ there was mention of a raider party. Since Tim was taking a nap, and I was navigating, with my abyssmal intelligence score, i decided that if we went under the o_erpa__ without him awake and ready, I'd be in trouble. So, using my powers of insight, i determined that I should park it riiight before it. And, so, I parked like, a foot out from under it. Durp. We got ambushed by a racoonman sniper. He shot me up pretty good, but I tossed his ass off the overpass, and onto the pickup truck's hood, and Tim torched the fuck out of him.

Anyway, I take a nap to sleep off the pain. Tim sees a sentient plant on the side of the road, that shoots at him, he torches him up in a glorious One Hit KO. I missed that fight since I was sleeping, so he got all the XP for it :coookieesssss:

We're able to figure out that there are a bunch of trails leading off the main road, it turns out they're all off ramps, and we're able to read a broken sign that says "\/\AL" (half an M at the front), and figure that that's where we're heading.

We fight a giant dragonfly, nbd, we blow it up with fire again (it works on so many levels!). And we meet up with another character, a cat/plant hybrid. His random loot got him another horse and a tiny sail boat. Our wagon caravan grows!

We finally make it to the All (it's a mall, if you haven't figured it out yet :coookieesssss: ), and we get into the parking lot and get jumped by a giant beetle. We actually just destroy the fuck out of it, and then we camped out in its base, and set our horses and canoe in there, and parked our pick up truck outside. We plan on coming back for them after we raid the All for old world tech.

Overall, very fun game, and we haven't died yet. Fuck yeah, good for us, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:44 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Gamma World is incredibly fun and a nice turn on the normal D&D.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:05 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Bogey wrote:

It really is, haha. It's like a gutted version of 4th Edition, but it's so damn easy to pick up, and it's a lot of fun.

I actually enjoy this, whereas I didn't really have as much fun with regular 4th ed.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:19 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Bogey wrote:

It really is, haha. It's like a gutted version of 4th Edition, but it's so damn easy to pick up, and it's a lot of fun.

I actually enjoy this, whereas I didn't really have as much fun with regular 4th ed.

Gamma World just gets points for making everything zany and incredibly random from me. I love the character creation in it One time I played I got "electrified ratswarm" so I thought about it and decided I was a group of six Pikachu. :awesome:

If you're a D&D player at heart I wouldn't worry too much. It seems Wizard is sweeping all 4E under the rug and acting like it never existed. They filled everything they could at Gencon with "Ok, so we know 4E wasn't for everyone. You're all playing Pathfinder now? And you're checking out a bunch of other RPGs from different companies? Well, have you seen D&D Next? It's going to be that game you all fell in love with and respected but with improvements throughout."

Seriously. All weekend long with that kind of thing. To their credit everyone wants D&D to be D&D and they sold out all their preview slots all weekend long.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Warhammer: Dark Heresy has the best dice/leveling system i've seen in a pnp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next