neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:09 pm 
The NESkimullet

THE ALPHA HAS LANDED

I am now in possession of an alpha version of the patch. Very little is left to be done at this point, and what is left is either minor or end-game stuff. I have more than enough finished that I can begin playing through to start looking for obvious bugs, as well as to make sure that the damn thing is even playable at all. With what's already done, if I can actually get to the end of the game without it crashing, it's a very safe bet that nothing I've left to do will render it unplayable.

Concerning battle scripts, I have only a handful of regular enemies left, plus everything at Kefka's Tower. The original plan was to do the bosses first and then use all of my left-over bytes making the KT enemies as robust as possible. I've since edited a handful of bosses and freed up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 bytes, so that's really not an issue anymore.

Long story short, the game's horribly inefficient coding is by far at its most noticeable in its boss scripts. The programmers make liberal use of incrementing variables, often in situations that don't call for them. In most cases, other conditionals will function just as well, if not better, and take up a fraction of the space. The problem is, once again, there's absolutely no consistency whatsoever to how the game is originally programmed, and the result is that different boss scripts use a random-ass smattering of different variables (000, 001, 003, and 036 seem to be the most popular) where they really should only be using one. There's a 99% chance that, especially based on what I've already seen in the game's original code, that this is completely needless and the developers were just all on crack. Still, some of these variables do seem to influence other events, so I'd like to see how the handful of bosses that I have edited end up functioning before I go gung-ho on the rest of them.

I'm also not sure whether or not these values get reset after battle, which could possibly negatively influence the one I'm using as a "do once" variable. Again, checking the game's original code for any kind of consistency yields no helpful information whatsoever. It almost seems like they're trying to do the same thing I'm doing by using specific variables for specific roles (000 as a do once variable, for example), but then you run into a handful of scripts that you'd think were written by an entirely different person. Perhaps that might be part of the issue, come to think of it.

All in all, my enemy edits will end up comprising a significant chunk of any newfound difficulty that this mod has to offer. And based on the work that I've been doing, I can say that I've very excited. Monsters are far more reactive than before, and their scripts have been written deliberately to prey on the player's expectations (again, that's the IWBTG influence speaking). If I could give anyone playing this mod any advice, it would be to expect nothing - except possibly an entirely new game. Oh, and talk to the guys at the Beginner's School in Narshe - they tell you *very* helpful things.

Aside from the battle scripts, very little is left to be done. Bushido is still undergoing some final changes, two of which my partner is still working on a way to edit. One is to give the "2x damage to humans" property to Dispatch, and the other is to allow Retort to set a status buff on Cyan in addition to its regular effects. Retort is actually working as we intend it to at the moment, but it's only the result of a rather obvious and painful rule patch that I'd like to get rid of (I'll give details if anyone cares). The MP boosts from espers haven't been properly altered yet, nor have the percentages for Mog's dance attacks. We've also decided to increase the "wait time" for a summon attack, while reducing it for "jump" (we're pretty much just swapping the two values). There are a few other things, but they're either back-burner ideas that we didn't intend to put into a beta release (much less an alpha) or Easter eggs that we're not going to tell you about, anyway. Dialogue-wise, we still need to sit down and discuss the final confrontation with Kefka, but everything else is done.

As for me, I'd still like to go over and tweak enemy stats. It'll be nothing major (at least compared to what I've already done), but I will be raising the HP of most end-game bosses, as well as several early-game enemies who I feel can be too easily one-shotted for the roles I want them to fill.

I've yet to sit down and play said Alpha patch, so I don't know how far I'll make it before it crashes (the first Tritoch event seems to be a popular place). So, wish me luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 am 
The NESkimullet

We're nearing the end of closed beta testing at the moment, so if anyone is interested in being an open beta tester, now's a good time to let me know.

Email's going to be the preferred method of contact, so just post yours.

Also, we're going to distribute some "feelies" along with the mod... provided you've got a printer:

http://btb2.free.fr/temp/ff6.xls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

it's fan projects like these that make being a gamer so awesome.

when the final version of this patch is ready you should post that shit on reddit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

*watches with interest*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm 
The NESkimullet

Open beta testing is scheduled to begin in about a week. If you're interested, I need an email addy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:55 am 
The NESkimullet

Open beta testing is underway now.

I'd like to thank our very own Bubble Man for participating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
The NESkimullet

So, we're planning on officially releasing the mod in about a week or so, pending one last playthrough by one of us (probably me) to make sure that everything is good to go.

In the meantime, we're trying to think of good places to post about it. Any suggestions?

Also, here's the final documentation:

btb2.free.fr/temp/Readme.txt
btb2.free.fr/temp/Printme.xls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:03 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

There's probably a subreddit for that sort of thing.

Back in the day I'd say "romhacking.net", but the whole SNES ROM scene just isn't as big as it once was. Still, you should probably post it there as well. I think ideally you should post it a few different places.

Also, this looks awesome. Especially

"This removes the yellow line that appears in Gogo's command menu. Of all
of the fixes we've made, this is quite possibly the most important one."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 pm 
The NESkimullet

I was thinking about Reddit, but I don't use Reddit, so the terminology is kind of confusing. Explain to a total Reddit newb?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I dunno. I've only ever posted on the marijuana subreddit, and only like, twice, so I'm not terribly proficient myself... Basically it's like...there's sub-reddits for various topics, and you post things there? Nameless could probably help you out with that.

There's this one, which is a subreddit for the Final Fantasy series as a whole http://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy

And here's a SNES subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/snes

I would suggest getting it on Romhacking.net though, if only because that site is also a really good archive of that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:47 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Also, out of curiosity, I didn't see anything about what you've done to up the difficulty. Are the enemies just generally higher damaging, or have you actually reworked their scripts so that they fight smart, or what?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm 
The NESkimullet

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Also, out of curiosity, I didn't see anything about what you've done to up the difficulty. Are the enemies just generally higher damaging, or have you actually reworked their scripts so that they fight smart, or what?

That would be the bit in the readme about reworking all of the enemy data from the ground up. Saying that the enemies now fight "intelligently" is a bit of a stretch, but they're certainly nastier and more robust than they ever were before.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

BTB wrote:
So, we're planning on officially releasing the mod in about a week or so

:drmario:
(seriously though, I'm excited for this)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 am 
The NESkimullet

Ok, obviously that "week or so" deadline didn't get met. What I *can* say now is that I've beaten the game (after making a long series of final revisions based on that playthrough) and the mod now has my blessing for a release following some final changes that Synchysi will make on Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 am 
The NESkimullet

So, we're... um, done. Synchysi (the guy who made this with me) just made his last change tonight and was testing it when I left the office, and all I have left to do is update the documentation with the last changes he made. After that will start the lengthy process of notifying all those who have expressed interest in the mod that the public version is now up and then proceeding to whore the ever-loving hell out of it on every website I can think of. Again, if anyone has any suggestions for sites to post on (or just wants to play the mod), let me know.

The "official" release date I'm shooting for is the 31st, which is technically tomorrow since I'm running on central time. I'm... quite excited, to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:31 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

BTB wrote:
So, we're... um, done. Synchysi (the guy who made this with me) just made his last change tonight and was testing it when I left the office, and all I have left to do is update the documentation with the last changes he made. After that will start the lengthy process of notifying all those who have expressed interest in the mod that the public version is now up and then proceeding to whore the ever-loving hell out of it on every website I can think of. Again, if anyone has any suggestions for sites to post on (or just wants to play the mod), let me know.

The "official" release date I'm shooting for is the 31st, which is technically tomorrow since I'm running on central time. I'm... quite excited, to say the least.

I for sure want to play this. Very excited.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:12 pm 
The NESkimullet

...it is finished.

Download link can be found on the home page of my site: http://abusemynipples.biz

I don't know if you have a GameFAQ's account, but we've also requisitioned a board as a semi-permanent discussion forum for the mod:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/582526-tuxpuck

Feel free to stop by and let us know what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:50 am 
The NESkimullet

...and we're up to version 1.03 now.

Hopefully, that takes care of the weird graphical glitches we were seeing in the initial release(s).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 am 
The NESkimullet

http://levantiner1.blogspot.com/2013/06 ... world.html

One of our early downloaders blogged about the mod.

Feeld good, bro.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 pm 
The NESkimullet

Oh, and we've also got a logo for the mod now:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:\m/: :\m/: :\m/:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:57 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

BTB wrote:
Oh, and we've also got a logo for the mod now:

If I were a fan of FF, that would be my desktop wallpaper right fucking now. Possibly my favorite Maiden album :\m/: :\m/: :\m/:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

BTB! Apologies for falling off the face of the Earth. Turns out getting a master's degree requires a lot of time and effort, which I sadly couldn't devote to video games. I just saw the mod's out and I'm trying to get it to work but I think I'm having some issues getting the patch to apply. I'm assuming the title screen/intro would be slightly altered the represent the newly modded version, but I haven't seen any differences yet. I've tried a few roms and I'm struggling to figure out what could be wrong. Any ideas?

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:04 pm 
The NESkimullet

Like I said in my response to your PM, we should have elminated most issues with compatibility in our more recent updates. Make sure you're using the most recent version (1.1.4 or 1.1.5).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

BTB wrote:
Like I said in my response to your PM, we should have elminated most issues with compatibility in our more recent updates. Make sure you're using the most recent version (1.1.4 or 1.1.5).

You know, I think it might have been working. I saw the custom logo above in this thread and was expecting that at the title screen of the game. When I didn't see it I assumed the patch hadn't worked for whatever reason.

What the gay?