neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starbound
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
Yeah, that wandering aimlessly...

I've been running into the same problem I had with Terraria: After a while, I don't know what to do. I found a bitchin bone hammer that spits a wave of poison and can one-shot lvl. 6 critters. I got a silver pickaxe, armor and whatnot. Now I can't really build anything new. At least I can leave and jump to other planets. I for example, I found some sort of ape laboratory with a obstacle course that had an Energy Dash upgrade at the end. But I hope for more quests in the future. Right now it kinda stops after I built the distress beacon and some penguins in a flying saucer came and attacked me.

Well it is still in beta.
But the idea is exploration, keep going, move into other sectors when you get the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

How do I get into another sector?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:08 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I think you beat the first boss in Sector Alpha (the distress beacon quest), and then you can go elsewhere.

Also, that first boss kicked the shit out of me. And now I have to find all the bullshit resources again.

Also, I have no idea where I'm going. I didn't realize I didn't set my original planet as my home world, so now I'm just kind of running around randomly with no home. Sadness.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://community.playstarbound.com/inde ... nce.44064/

i posted a mini-dissertation on their forums. throw me some support if you feel so inclined.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 am 

Nameless88 wrote:
I think you beat the first boss in Sector Alpha (the distress beacon quest), and then you can go elsewhere.

Also, that first boss kicked the shit out of me. And now I have to find all the bullshit resources again.

Also, I have no idea where I'm going. I didn't realize I didn't set my original planet as my home world, so now I'm just kind of running around randomly with no home. Sadness.

Boss? That would be that lvl. 9 flying saucer crewed by genocidal penguins? Well damn, then I need to grind a lot more because as awesome as my poison bone hammer is, it doesn't really dent this thing.

Anyone have any luck with firearms in Sector Alpha? Where would I go to get some?

I think I just need to man up and try something higher than lvl. 5. I should be able to takle a 7. 8 when I'm really, really careful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Just bought this, I'm gonna check it out when I get home from work tonight.

Is there multiplayer? How does that work?

EDIT: It looks like they have a dedicated server thing.

You guys want me to set up jrjrtech.com as a Starbound server?

EDIT EDIT: It looks like the server is pretty RAM-hungry, which is a no-go for my lil ol' VPS unless I shutdown minecraft :-/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 am 
KSK Mastermind

i wanna play it, but im afraid it will be like Terraria was to me. it just never hooked me. not sure i can afford the risk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:48 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I have the same concerns, I could just never get into Terraria.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I figure I've blown $15 on stupider things.

Native Linux support makes me pretty stoked to try it out, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:42 pm 
KSK Mastermind

i guess i do wanna try it, but i just cant justify spending money on myself this time of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:24 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

See, I've spent so much money on everybody else, I figure what the heck. It's one game. It's $15 (not the usual $40 or $60 for a big game). Fuck it, I'm buying myself a game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:16 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
Anyone have any luck with firearms in Sector Alpha? Where would I go to get some?

X: 59877410, Y: -70634402 in the Alpha Sector, Star System Umbrexion 1207 2nd planet. Look for an anchor with a chain attached, make a way to get up there, do not worry, the NPCs there will not harm you, one in the upper left corner will sell them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:55 am 

Will I find it in the same place? I thought the universe was procedually generated?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:15 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

If you give someone else coords for a place you found it works like seeds in Minecraft.

Also, the game is nigh unplayable right now because of their recent update. Birds are overpowered as fuck, actually all enemies are overpowered as fuck right now, and I get my ass kicked nonstop.

On the plus side, I made a human that looks like Spike from Cowboy Beebop. :awesome:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:48 pm 
The so-called robot with admin powers

I have starbound. Someone should make a permanent server.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

BlackHeart wrote:

The RAM requirements for the server are a bit on the high side. :-/

I can't find where I saw it, but it was something like 512MB + 100MB per player.

So, a cheap-o 1GB VPS (which would support like 5 players at once) is around $14/month.

You could host on your home machine, but that's kind of a headache compared to having a dedicated host in a real datacenter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:53 pm 

Napalm Man wrote:
BlackHeart wrote:

The RAM requirements for the server are a bit on the high side. :-/

I can't find where I saw it, but it was something like 512MB + 100MB per player.

So, a cheap-o 1GB VPS (which would support like 5 players at once) is around $14/month.

You could host on your home machine, but that's kind of a headache compared to having a dedicated host in a real datacenter.

True and my port forwarding is a real nightmare.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Well, the networking part is easy. It's more about the quality of the service.

A home Internet connection isn't very fast, unless you've got Google Fiber. Usually running any type of service at home is against the TOS. And what happens when you're watching Netflix, hogging the connection. Should your users ping go to shit because you wanna do something?

Plus, you've gotta keep your computer on 24/7. If the server crashes, it's on you to fix it. If the power goes out and you don't have a ups, that's gonna suck. Do you currently do backups?

Then there's the fact you've got people accessing your home network. You might be pretty good at security, maybe not.

Do you have a spare computer? You gonna run it on your main machine? What happens when you break something and your computer is down all day.

Sorry for the rant. Just hate it when people try to do a "home server"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:29 am 

My networking is far from being easy. If you could solve my issue, you'd be my hero. I'm routed on a router.. let me explain briefly..

Where i live, I share the landlord internet and cable TV. That means, i'm using his connection. One day, his douchebag son came over and downloaded way over the monthly capacity and he blamed us. Of course, we had proof that me and my girlfriend weren't there but he wouldn't listen to reason. So, he changed his wifi password like a douche and never told us. My girlfriend and I went out to buy a router of our own and we plugged it on his so we have our own connection now based on his but with our password. I know how to open ports but it doesn't work. I need to open ports on his router but his ip goes 10.0.X.X as mine goes 192.X.X.X. I can't host anything that requires to open ports because I just can't. I can play online through my home consoles, steam and whatnot but things like Zsnes.. I can't anymore or even Brutal Doom which needs a specific port to be opened. Think you can crack my case ? If not, it's alright.. i'm moving out in a few months.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 am 
In-House Sax Machine

If you can't access the admin part of his router, then there's no way to forward ports to your part of the network, period.

Your best bet is to setup some kind of P2P VPN, and have friends connect via that.

Hamachi is a popular solution - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

A cool-looking one is Social VPN - http://socialvpn.wordpress.com/downloads/

Basically, your current IP address is 192.168.x.x - you and your friends can setup a VPN between eachother. When you connect to a VPN, you get a second IP address assigned to you. Any traffic that goes to that IP address gets encrypted and pushed out over the VPN - so you then do your gaming and whatever on that IP address (have your friends connect to your VPN IP address).

Both these things are meant to traverse NATs and everything, no port forwarding is needed. I haven't used these two things personally, but I do VPN-related stuff all the time. This should be pretty easy to setup and use.

There's a lot of benefits to using a VPN for games like this:

1. You don't have to setup port forwarding on your router
2. You don't have to give out your public IP address
3. Everything's encrypted
4. Only folks you know can connect to the VPN (no random people joining and fucking up your game)

You still have most of the problems from running a home server, but for on-demand type gaming this is fine. I wouldn't try hosting a constantly-running minecraft server on Hamachi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:43 am 

Napalm Man wrote:
If you can't access the admin part of his router, then there's no way to forward ports to your part of the network, period.

Your best bet is to setup some kind of P2P VPN, and have friends connect via that.

Hamachi is a popular solution - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

A cool-looking one is Social VPN - http://socialvpn.wordpress.com/downloads/

Basically, your current IP address is 192.168.x.x - you and your friends can setup a VPN between eachother. When you connect to a VPN, you get a second IP address assigned to you. Any traffic that goes to that IP address gets encrypted and pushed out over the VPN - so you then do your gaming and whatever on that IP address (have your friends connect to your VPN IP address).

Both these things are meant to traverse NATs and everything, no port forwarding is needed. I haven't used these two things personally, but I do VPN-related stuff all the time. This should be pretty easy to setup and use.

There's a lot of benefits to using a VPN for games like this:

1. You don't have to setup port forwarding on your router
2. You don't have to give out your public IP address
3. Everything's encrypted
4. Only folks you know can connect to the VPN (no random people joining and fucking up your game)

You still have most of the problems from running a home server, but for on-demand type gaming this is fine. I wouldn't try hosting a constantly-running minecraft server on Hamachi

Well, I have physical access to his computer. I could reset his router, go through admin/admin, set a new password which would be the same as it is now but the problem is that I don't know the current password. Sigh. Hamachi is something I know but it's kind of a hassle when it comes to a simple tcp/ip Zsnes game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:52 am 

Oh fudgebucket! They removed unrefined wood as a fuel source. Crumpets!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:08 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

BlackHeart wrote:
Well, I have physical access to his computer. I could reset his router, go through admin/admin, set a new password which would be the same as it is now but the problem is that I don't know the current password. Sigh. Hamachi is something I know but it's kind of a hassle when it comes to a simple tcp/ip Zsnes game.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch another guy's computer and do any of that.

At first it seems like kind of a hassle, but you're already going through a couple of steps to share IP addresses and garbage. You'd basically just be replacing those steps - instead of sharing IP info, you just connect to Hamachi.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:44 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't touch another guy's computer and do any of that.

:)

that 'stick', on the other hand. . .

the advice i'd give depends on his knowlege computers roll. but is probably moot anyway considering that you're leaving soon.

or you could just go push factory reset on the router and walk away. he can always do the same later if he wants back in. and your trail wipes when he does. weather or not he notices will be dependent on if he's using any ports. you'd link into it wirelessly and use your computer to do the rest of the setup.

you can play the safe card(kinda sorta) and just set him in DMZ. so he really won't notice.
then you open whatever ports you need individually for your machine and hope he doesn't log into his router any time soon. if he does: you can do the same thing all over again and he won't notice until next log on. only it's more suspicious that time.

i know you own a lot of software. i don't imagine you pirating mass quantities of software. i think you were imposed upon and that the above is fair compromise. not everyone realizes when they make a mistake or end up in the wrong. if they did we wouldn't need court.

is what i suggest wrong? i suppose that depends on your definitions of ownership. will it impede anything he is doing? almost certainly not unless he's a big computer guy. i think the margins of error on this one are pretty easy to calculate. if he gives you shit: tell him to check his son's history. maybe jump on the same bandwagon and also complain about interruptions and bad speed. idk what your relationship is though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:29 am 
In-House Sax Machine

The easiest alternative: get your own internet.