neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I am a Sony fanboy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:44 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

There, I said it.

*NINJA EDIT*

Holy fuck, it's been ten years since I joined the board. *head explodes*

Post subject: Re: I am a Sony fanboy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:01 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Holy shit it's Hook.

Also, no worries dude. We're all fanboys in one way or another.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:04 pm 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Where the fuck did you come from, old man? Nice to see you!

On topic: I really don't care either way anymore. I remember the Nintendo/Sega wars of old but I can't remember it ever being fought by stupid little pissers. Seriously, if a online discussion Godwins after less than two dozend posts... over two overpriced pieces of consumer electronics that are basically pared down PCs anyway (there was a much more pronounced difference between the consoles in the 8/16 bit area), then it's really time to pack your bags and get the hell out of dodge.

I got myself a stonking great gaming PC this time around. I will not buy ANY of the new consoles. Why should I? A decent gaming PC does what they do, better, without demanding extra money for extended online services, I got great sales, better graphic quality, more versatility, backwards compatibility back into the stone age, emulators, gaming on TV with a controller, gaming with mouse and keyboard, mods and all the other stuff I can do with a PC that I can't with a console. That's worth the higher investment. And if you wait a year, you can get a PC for the same price as those things are now, with more brute power. Fuck the PS4, fuck the XBone, fuck them nickel and diming us with free to play monetisation in full price games (Froza5, GTA6).

Oh yeah, and Ninty, c'mere. Closer. Closer. Closer!

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AND GIVE ME A NEW, GOOD METROID GAME! Then we'll talk about me getting a WiiU.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I think it's an age thing to some extent too. If you don't have a job and can't buy stuff yourself. Your parents might buy you one. Good or bad that is THE one you have. You then have to attach all positive to it because hell if you got a shitty system.

Once you have a job and can buy stuff yourself, sure you'll probably want one over the other or something, but if there is enough good stuff and it's worth it you'll eventually end up with whatever you want.

I'll always check nintendo out first, but i'll never ignore microsoft or sony.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:53 pm 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

It's certainly that, to an extend. After all, you have to justify your purchase to yourself (or your parent's purchase). But it is also reinforced by the culture surrounding it, stoked by gaming websites that play the whole thing up by detailed comaprisons and lists and so on. In the end, you get extremely entrenched fandoms that are relentlessly agressive. Seriously, try mentioning, in any console specific discussion on any bigger gaming website, that these new consoles are underpowered PCs or anything in that direction (like weighing in on this rediculus resolution brouhaha over CoDfish)... it's dropping a gallon of blood into a pool of hungry sharks. It barely takes a minute before the insults start flying. It's fascinatingly disgusting.

I kinda understood this up to a point in previous generations. Like I said, these machines were more specialized and had mostly unique architectures. Like, the PS2 did its thing with the Emotion Engine. But this time around, both have graphics hardware by the same supplyer, run on the same basic architecture... are basically the same thing save for memory allocation and small differences in processing power.

It's always been kinda rediculus but this time around, it's also kinda dull.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:39 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Equal Opportunity Gamer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
It's certainly that, to an extend. After all, you have to justify your purchase to yourself (or your parent's purchase). But it is also reinforced by the culture surrounding it, stoked by gaming websites that play the whole thing up by detailed comaprisons and lists and so on. In the end, you get extremely entrenched fandoms that are relentlessly agressive. Seriously, try mentioning, in any console specific discussion on any bigger gaming website, that these new consoles are underpowered PCs or anything in that direction (like weighing in on this rediculus resolution brouhaha over CoDfish)... it's dropping a gallon of blood into a pool of hungry sharks. It barely takes a minute before the insults start flying. It's fascinatingly disgusting.

I kinda understood this up to a point in previous generations. Like I said, these machines were more specialized and had mostly unique architectures. Like, the PS2 did its thing with the Emotion Engine. But this time around, both have graphics hardware by the same supplyer, run on the same basic architecture... are basically the same thing save for memory allocation and small differences in processing power.

It's always been kinda rediculus but this time around, it's also kinda dull.

halo for xbox made me notice this. the first passable game on the console becomes elevated to godly status. suddenly there was something playable and everyone wanted to justify the large paperweight they bought. though what makes me mad about it: is the damage console standards did to the existing computer game market at the time. in PC-land: everything was absolutely wonderful until xbox happened. if you weren't at least knee deep into pc gaming before then: you have not a clue what i'm talking about. though the most important of these detriments are: a) hardware useage: video standards hit a snag in evolution by the more marketable standards being confined to inferior TV resolutions and inferior on-board video processors. b) video scalability: the range of hardware on which a game will run now is much narrower being that the marketable segment is generally confined to a single hardware configuration. c) network infrastructure: back before microsoft choked conventional gameplay down to 16 man maximum: we had 256 man multiplayer, locally hosted servers. xboxlive pigeonholed the marketable segment into using their servers, and dedicated server software became a ghost for a few years. just now are network traffic standards beginning to catch back up to where they were years ago.

though i later picked one up after relieving a friend of a broken one, fixing it, and turning it into a linux server for $30.

my problem with them is that they stuff everything into a single mold. and then stagnate everything inside. so i guess i'm not explicitly mad at microsoft; i'm mad that gaming became a mainstream activity and set it's progress back 8 years. people were working hard on it because it was interesting as fuck. now they're working on it because it pays well. the results of the later tend to be much less than stellar while robbing the former of some of it's potential.

edit: nintendo gets a nod of repsect from me though. they are not trying to enter into that market because they recognize, and have from the beginning, that the two markets are separate entities. they consistently try new things and i respect that. when microsoft entered the arena: they blurred the lines and things went to shit for a while.

i'm not hating: i'm just stating that that's how it went down and it's something most of the people who put their consoles up on pedestals don't understand because they didn't see it happen. things were amazing in gaming before master chief was slapped on every mountain dew box and doritos bag in sight. diversity went out the window for years after Gaybo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:55 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I played the PS4 at Best Buy for a bit today. That controller. It is really nice. That touch pad you can press in (in multiple directions) could have some uses. Impressive.

Nintendo did it first

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:07 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Bogey wrote:
Nintendo did it first

Indeed. Fun fact. Sony sold more PS4s on launch day than Nintendo sold Wii Us in its life cycle up to this day.

Enough trolling, I'm off to play some Assassin's Creed 4. See y'all in 6 months! Or maybe next week, who knows.