neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:14 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Well, the school year is wrapping up, and lots of lil' NESkimites are starting their first year of college in a few months! I figure, us older NESkimites outta step in and give them the advice we wish we had heard.

First off, a GREAT way to meet people: Live in the dorms for a year (maybe two, if they have an apartment-style option for older students).

Whilst in the dorms, here's a GREAT way to meet girls: Play NES with your door open. Girls WILL come in and play with you. Now, those girls, you'll probably be Just Friends with forever, but there will be a night where you go out with some of THEIR friends, and then your mission becomes to get a number. It's not hard, you just gotta ask for it.

But never EVER hand a girl your phone and have her put it in herself. ALWAYS ALWAYS put the number into your own phone. Making girls put in their number makes them feel obligated to do it.

Now, back to dorm life: Leaving your door open creates a warm, inviting atmosphere, and lets people know Hey, come in and hang out. Always keep drinks (sodas or booze) handy. That's a great way to get to know somebody, is to sit down and have a drink with them.

The upper floors of libraries have the best bathrooms.

Don't let your laundry pile up. You won't notice, but, other people WILL notice that your room smells like Dirty Laundry. Do it in a timely manner (like, never get it to more than a single load's worth (or, at the extreme most, a load of darks and a load of whites)).

Learn how to talk to strangers. Here's the basic idea: 1) ask people questions about themselves, then 2) IMMEDIATELY find a way to relate to how they answer. "Oh, you're from Dayton? I have a cousin there!"

Alcohol is free until you're 21. Then you're obligated to provide it to all your younger friends.

The ideal handshake is two and a half "shakes" (down and up).

Hamburger helper is a FANTASTIC one-dish meal. Bonus points if you just eat it straight out of the pan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

The walls in dorm rooms are nearly paper thin. Keep that in mind when playing your music loud. If you want to make friends don't piss off the people next to you.

If you have a choice of dorm to stay in, find out which one's are co-ed, and keep in mind that even sometimes those dorms alternate male and female by floor. An ideal situation is to get girls on your floor, so they're there by default.

I know we all love metal, but playing it rather loudly might not be the most welcoming thing in the world for girls, if looking to set a trap for females play something a bit lighter while you're playing NES.

Girls are a sucker for a dude who knows how to play an Acoustic guitar. Bring one along and set it in plain sight. A girl walking past might ask you to play a song, play something they would know and you've instantly won them over.

Make a lot of friends with a lot of different people. Parties are a great place to meet girls, and you'll have to do your own work for the most part to find out when and where the parties are. Call up one group of friends and ask something like "hey what's going on tonight?" Don't wait for them to call you.

That's enough for now, it's 5:26am and I have to go to work...

What the gay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:13 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Don't go to community college/a school that you plan to commute to. You will feel like you are REALLY missing out on the fun that all your high school friends are having. :( LIVE ON CAMPUS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Don't go to community college/a school that you plan to commute to. You will feel like you are REALLY missing out on the fun that all your high school friends are having. :( LIVE ON CAMPUS

i lives in a townhouse with 4 roommates and its awesome. we have a party virtually every weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:22 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

well by live on campus i mean, not at home. srsly. it sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:02 pm 
KSK Mastermind

i regret missing college just because of the social life... but its too expensive for me.... And College isn't for everyone i believe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:13 pm 
Thwomp
Thwomp

Napalm Man wrote:
Don't let your laundry pile up. You won't notice, but, other people WILL notice that your room smells like Dirty Laundry. Do it in a timely manner (like, never get it to more than a single load's worth (or, at the extreme most, a load of darks and a load of whites)).
Now, I'm not in college but here is my take on laundry.
This only takes a few easy steps:
1) Wear clothes
2) When clothes are dirty deposit on floor
3) When a sufficient amount has amassed, move it into one big pile.
4) Cover it with a sheet.
5) Enjoy your new beanbag style chair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:15 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

epf, you are a true american man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:18 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Crashman wrote:
i regret missing college just because of the social life... but its too expensive for me.... And College isn't for everyone i believe.

QFT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Yes, I definitely agree that if you can, get into a dorm / or room with a couple of guys in an apartment. It is a great way to keep yourself sane (trust me). I optioned to room with 2 other guys here.

Do Your Laundry, period. It sucks when your roommate or whoever has dirty clothes all over the place, it is not very pleasing.

When playing games, yes the NES/SNES is perfect, anything retro is a BIG plus. But I have also found that games like Guitar Hero and (definitely) DDR (Big hit with the ladies) are great for partys and just hanging out.

And lastly, just be friendly with everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Sir Napesalot wins for making this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:03 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Here's one I learned from my bro's stay at college and me hanging out at his apartment a lot.

Always have a jar of peanut butter and some bread around, if nothing else, you can eat that. It's filling and it keeps your energy up. Or, if you're hanging out with a bunch of friends, all chip in for pizza, it'd be less expensive if there's more of you to split the cost, and pizza is a staple of the poor college student's diet.

Oh, also, if a hurricane hits your campus, the next day, if you didn't evacuate, go looking for downed street signs. When you spot one, go out in the cover of night with a station wagon or something with a lot of truck space, and sneak it back to your dorm, use power tools to remove poll, and you've got yourself a new decoration.

Besides, no one will miss it if it was knocked over by a hurricane. Right? They'll just think it blew off into the woods or something, and it'll probably be too fucked up to fix it anyways. Also, you pay taxes, and tuition costs a lot, so you deserve it, god dammit! :wink:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:18 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Crashman wrote:

/signed

Maybe if it were 100% paid for NQA with room and board i mighta gone, but i just dont have that kinda cash, and i couldnt even scrape together much through loans/scholarships. Plus completely hating school wouldn't have helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:02 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

illblamesum1else wrote:

Massively /signed!

If you want to work a job besides your college education, be shure to be a freelancer. It's the most flexible form of employment, allowing you much leeway when planning your schedule.

Hope to have some friends on different colleges. It's good for when you have to get a book that is not available on your library.

Get to know somebody who you can bum notes from but be shure to make your own once in a while so you can bum them to others. It's give and be given.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:10 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

<.< What are some quick things one can make to eat in college? Quick and cheap if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:17 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Sanctusorium wrote:
<.< What are some quick things one can make to eat in college? Quick and cheap if possible.

Noodles.... I really like noodles with eggs for example. Don't take the stringy ones, small, thick ones (beats me if I'd know the names).

Cook the noodles. Take two to three eggs, depending on how hungry you are. Take a small pann, grease it it butter or oil. I prefer melted butter myself. Crack the eggs open and into the heated (but not too hot) pan. Season them to your hearts content. I prefer a generous helping of salt and parsley. If you want, you can add small, chopped ham cubes to the mix. Wait a few seconds untill the eggs are not all that runny anymore, then start stirring. Stirr until the whit is really white, but not too long, else the eggs would burn. After your're done, mix the result with your cooked noodles. Do some additional seasoning, if you want. Serve with a slice of butter and a generous amount of parmesan shavings.

The whole thing's done in six to seven minutes, depinding on how long your noodles take to cook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:32 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

tempura is great, just take a cup of flour and a cup of water, and an egg (I found this to be totally optional) and mix, season to taste (pepper, adobo, salt, whatever) then take whatever vegetables you can find, onions broccoli peppers, anything works with it really, and dip it into the batter and fry. after frying you might want to salt them, but that is the best damn quick fix for food I ever had during college, even though I lived at home.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Hamburger helper is super easy, and it only uses one dish! Bonus points for eating it straight out of the pan.

I also like to make chicken fajitas, that's pretty easy:
I toss some chicken on my george foreman grill, cook it up.
Then, chop up some peppers, onion, whatever you want to put in, then saute it all. OR you can steam the veggies, either way (to steam veggies, put some water in your pan, toss in veggies, heat, cover, wait.)
Then, when the veggies are nearly done, toss in the chicken, finish it off a bit.

Toss into flour tortilla and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:08 pm 
The so-called robot with admin powers

Hamburger helpers tastes like crap though. I only like the potato flavored one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

say hello to dinner!

What the gay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:39 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:
say hello to dinner!

i do that anyway, and i still live home! ramen noodles ftmfw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:17 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Bubble Man wrote:
say hello to dinner!

i do that anyway, and i still live home! ramen noodles ftmfw

19 cent dinner...

What the gay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

LOL i practically live on Ramen, Cream of Wheat, various cereals and spaghetti, YAY POOR PEOPLE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:03 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Fuck Top Ramen. Maruchan all the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:27 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Another fun one:
Get some sausage, heat it up in a pan or something, toss in green n' red peppers, saute all together,
make some yellow rice, mix it all up and devour.

It's fairly spicy (depending on the sausage) and delicious