neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:03 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I've heard that I need to read Neuromancer.

I got my girlfriend the Parks and Recreation book for Christmas, and it looks really funny from what I thumbed through while I was waiting in line at the store with it.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:58 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
I got my girlfriend the Parks and Recreation book for Christmas, and it looks really funny from what I thumbed through while I was waiting in line at the store with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:19 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

http://arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/tompkins.pdf

Found an excerpt from this on stumble upon ages ago. It's a story about a guy who goes to a town where the speed of light is 10 km/hr, and it explores all the weird shit that happens because of that.

It's a full novel, so it's like 123 pages, but it's some interesting shit from what I read of it. Really gives you an idea of what approaching the speed of light would be like, how time dilation works, etc.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I read the Hunger Games a few weeks ago. I am not ashamed to admit that it was actually pretty entertaining. Waiting for Amazon to ship the other two. In the mean time, I think I'll start Battle Royale.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

I've been trying to read Hunger Games for the past few weeks

It's frankly pretty dull, I plan to finish it but I'm trudging through at a pretty slow pace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
I've been trying to read Hunger Games for the past few weeks

It's frankly pretty dull, I plan to finish it but I'm trudging through at a pretty slow pace

It moves really slow for the first half or so, but it kept my interest. It wasn't like a lot of the Harry Potter books where they were needlessly slow in the beginning. I feel like there's a lot of set-up in Hunger Games needed to establish the setting and characters so that it doesn't just feel like "heres kids that have to kill eachother. go." For the most part, all that exposition kept my interest, and actually made me give a shit about the characters.

That plus I'm glad kids are reading a series that's fairly well written with actual characters now, instead of Twilight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union. Learning a lot about jews, and nothing about policemen.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
That plus I'm glad kids are reading a series that's fairly well written with actual characters now, instead of Twilight.

this presents me with a very meta-game view of parenting.

gah. my brain.
this is a big idea.

its occurred to me before, but not with the same associations.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Started reading The Old Republic (Star Wars) era books. Revan was pretty fantastic and gave a lot of story post KOTOR and KOTOR 2 as well as showed me a cool character Lord Scourge. Then i read Deceived, which starts off with this Battle.

Here we learn all about Darth Malgus and just how far he will go to truly give himself to the darkside. Really great stuff set in an era where all sorts of epicness can occur. If you dig Star Wars, check em out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:14 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Ready Player One...I finished it and still can't tell if I enjoyed it or not. So.... :cookieshmm:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:26 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

so mecca blew up?

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:39 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Ray Bradbury - August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains
Listened to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcfMDZ1mhTg
Followed along with this:
http://www.dennissylvesterhurd.com/blog/softrain.htm
for a sci-fi lit/film class I'm taking right now. Really beautiful, and haunting story. The 1950s were fucking bleak, man.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Really beautiful, and haunting story. The 1950s were fucking beat, man.

:coookieesssss:

Jack Kerouac
William S. Burroughs
Allen Ginsburg

Go go go

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

http://faculty.uca.edu/rnovy/Heinlein-- ... ombies.htm
http://escapepod.org/2009/07/02/ep-200-all-you-zombies/

For my Sci-Fi class.

First actual Heinlein I've ever read. I've tried Starship Trooper before, but that was when I was in middle school and I couldn't get into it.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

gimp wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
Really beautiful, and haunting story. The 1950s were fucking beat, man.

:coookieesssss:

Jack Kerouac
William S. Burroughs
Allen Ginsburg

Go go go

Ginsberg, in my opinion, is way more enjoyable to hear than he is to read, though. His inflection adds a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://i.imgur.com/JdYtLVi.jpg
Got everything i haven't read yet as an ebook. I just read:

Going Postal
    Guards! Guards!
    Men at Arms
    Sourcery

as e-books as well. fuck the science novels. couldnt find the short stories or where's my cow. :( soon i shall play the discworld adventure games with eric idle as rincewind. i think i'll read eric and moving pictures next. i want to read a short one then find out Gaspode's story.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I read a few discworlds but then got distracted by something else. I need to go back and finish the series. My favorite part is that there is no exact way to read them. It's a nice thing to do. Read whatever and maybe you'll have previous knowledge or later you'll be like "Oh, that is talking about this story, awesome."

I've kind of disappointed my self lately, no real books being read. I have plowed through the new TMNT, Snyder's Batman, and finished Brubaker's Cap and Winter Soldier run.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Small Gods is probably my favourite. Both the Death and Witches series are great. I liked Thief of Time a lot too, but I'm just a big Lu-Tze fan. The watch novels are a bit uh normal compared to most discworld books. Rincewind is my hero. The Colour of Magic is most peoples starting point. Until now I've just been reading what I can get my hands on.

I think the only ones that really benefit from being read in order are Colour of Magic > Light Fantastic, Wyrd Sisters > Sisters Abroad, and Going Postal > Making Money. and maybe the Tiffany Aching ones, i don't know.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:23 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Of the ones I've read, yeah, Small Gods is probably my favorite. Hogfather is also really good, and I loved Reaper Man. The ones about the Town Watch are pretty cool; I've read a few of those and I really liked Jingo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://i.imgur.com/c8Xxnts.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7yd5FaY.jpg

New chart :D. I have everything left on it but the fourth science novel, where's my cow and world of poo.

Reading the Amazing Maurice now.

Reading Feet of Clay now.

Edit: Updated.

Edit: Updated again.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:48 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Where do you even start with that series? I've been curious about getting into it, but there's just so much that I have no idea what's considered the right starting point, or what the best way to get interested in it is.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Where do you even start with that series? I've been curious about getting into it, but there's just so much that I have no idea what's considered the right starting point, or what the best way to get interested in it is.

You can start wherever you want, really. Nothing in it is really a "direct" sequel to anything else, albeit their are various sub-series within it that have a sequence to them. If you read them out of order, nothing like, "bad" happens, though, and there's nothing in any of them that's hard to understand if you missed one. So basically just read the back covers and pick the ones you think sound neat. That's what I do.

"Small Gods" is a great starting place because it's a stand-alone book and one of the best he's done. "Hogfather" is also great; it's part of the "death" series, but it's not particularly connected to anything else in that series. Hogfather has a great premise and one of the best villains in the series.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

You can start wherever you want, really. Nothing in it is really a "direct" sequel to anything else, albeit their are various sub-series within it that have a sequence to them. If you read them out of order, nothing like, "bad" happens, though, and there's nothing in any of them that's hard to understand if you missed one. So basically just read the back covers and pick the ones you think sound neat. That's what I do.

"Small Gods" is a great starting place because it's a stand-alone book and one of the best he's done. "Hogfather" is also great; it's part of the "death" series, but it's not particularly connected to anything else in that series. Hogfather has a great premise and one of the best villains in the series.

So, it's all episodic self contained stories? Nothing that spans across several books that if I don't read one the whole thing just collapses?

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:32 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
So, it's all episodic self contained stories? Nothing that spans across several books that if I don't read one the whole thing just collapses?

That's exactly what Pratchett was aiming for, yeah.

gimp wrote:
I think the only ones that really benefit from being read in order are Colour of Magic > Light Fantastic, Wyrd Sisters > Sisters Abroad, and Going Postal > Making Money.

Start with the Colour of Magic. It introduces the Discworld better than most of the other books will, including Ankh-Morpork, Rincewind, the Luggage, Death and the Gods. Light Fantastic is a direct sequel - Colour of Magic ends on a cliffhanger.* It also introduces the Librarian (properly). After that, I suggest you check out Mort and Lords and Ladies. Then you have options: Do you want to find out more about Rincewind and the Wizards, or Death, or the Witches, or Ankh-Morpork?

*they're the first and second book published, he didn't do it again. the other books I quoted directly follow on but are basically self contained.

edit: the other option is to just to see what piques your interest the most by concept:

The Last Continent - Australia
    Unseen Academicals - Soccer
    Small Gods - Religion
    Soul Music - Rock n Roll
    Maskerade - Theatre
    Carpe Jugulum - Vampires
    Hogfather - Christmas
    Moving Pictures - Hollywood
    The Truth - Journalism
    etc

+ you get a lot of social commentary in the watch novels & Making Money is clearly largely influenced by the recession. Hope that helps. Here's the incomplete reading guide i edited. http://www.au.lspace.org/books/reading- ... ide-20.jpg

edit:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

I don't think that Small Gods is a good starting place** because it's one of the best. The problem reading your first discworld novel isn't that you have lots of references from other books that don't make sense, it's that it seems like there is. You skip jokes thinking you can't understand them.

Also, Teatime is one of the best villains? No way. Half the books don't have real villains though so fair enough. I like the Auditors: in Thief of Time they are fascinating.

Also: i don't think Susan's story makes much sense without her parents backstory, hence why I suggested starting with Mort.

Dave I can give you the short stories if you want to start that way, only one of them is long and even then not very. That'd introduce Death, the Witches, the Wizards, Cohen the Barbarian, and the Watch. It might give you a better idea which novel to start with.

edit: in fact, here they are, uploaded under fair use http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=046 ... 5038941966

** i totally just gave Small Gods as the third of three suggestions for a friends first discworld novel. :redv:

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:34 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

http://www.brazenhussies.net/murphy/rachel.html

Just read this for class, and I really, really liked it, a lot.

Gonna put some stuff in spoiler tags here, because you might want to read it yourself first.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I haven't read a story that has gotten me inside the head of a character so much before. Like, I simultaneously feel like I know what it's like to be a teenage girl, and a chimp now. Wat.

And I fucking LOVE that near the end, when the media picks up on the story, they actually find the doctor's notes, and in the background of the story they're actually discussing the ramifications of his findings. So many stories we've read, there's this amazing scientific discovery, and it could change the fucking world, and invariably before the story is over, the technology is ruined, and can't be used ever again. Or the scientist who created the technology had all the schematics in his mind and didn't write shit down or whatever, and the robot or whatever he makes is the only one of its kind ever in existence. So, fuck yeah, that's awesome. And I love the little snippets about the media circus as it went on, with people showing that they're actually kind

And the ending was actually happy for once! Holy shit! I was so worried that she was going to end up pregnant and shoved in a cage for the rest of her life. I'm so fucking happy that this story didn't end like that! Things are going to be okay for her, I just know it.

I'm really going to have to find a way to bring this into my essay at the end of the semester for the sci-fi class. I'm thinking I could make it work with a theme like Memories or something.

ExPostFacto wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next