neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Slimed - An Oral History of Nickelodeon's Golden Age

I'm about half-way through. It's a book that was put together after one-on-one interviews with almost everyone involved with Nickelodeon from 1985-95ish. They have everyone from what I've seen. I think the only people I haven't read something from so far, that stands out as missing, are Kel and Amanda Bynes. I understand Amanda as she has went all zany, but I'm not sure why I haven't read anything from Kel yet. Alanis Morriset maybe too?
Anyways, all the interviews are put together to come off like a continuing conversation about everything. What it was like to form the network, what was it like to grow-up on television, how life was outside of working on the show, what school was like when filming, pitfalls of being a child star for nick, becoming an adult, attitude of the channel, how ren and stimpy got made, why Rocko was even created, Rugrats, focus groups, what slime was made out of and how it came out, Double Dare, Nick Arcade

Basically, it's everything from Nick when we were kids. It's pretty cool to read about some of the stuff. They even talk about a few episodes of things they made just to do or how outtakes of all Nick cartoons will never be shown anywhere because they are the filthiest things imaginable.

http://www.amazon.com/Slimed-Oral-Histo ... golden+age

Personally, I'm surprised that outside of those few everyone else is here. Marc Summers, Larisa Oleynik, Melissa John Hart, Keenan. Reading words from donkeylips was pretty awesome. Pretty funny guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Still on a SciFi spree: After finishing all of Banks' Culture novels and the Revelation Space cylce by Alastair Reynolds (as well as the singles "Pushing Ice" and "House of Suns"), im in the second book of the second of the two Uplift triologies by David Brin. It's a little less spacey than I would like (most of what happens is planet bound, except for the very fist book "Sundiver", and strangely quite primitive, especially once the second triology starts) but it still has some neat ideas and concepts. Especially the whole "uplifting a species to sentience is the only way, natural selection can't do it.... OR CAN IT? *dundunduuuun*" stuff.

What massive series should I go for next? I don't care if it has FTD or not, but I like concepts that are a little far out. Either that or it needs massive space battles.

Btw, I read the Sandman Slim (Richard Kadrey) books in between the big series. I should have stuck with one between each series as palette cleanser. They're usually fast to read, bloody good fun but five books at once gets a little tiresome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 am 
Resident Poet Laureate

I've recently finished the most recent book in an epic fantasy series by R. Scott Bakker. The first trilogy, The Prince of Nothing, depicts an ancient world as brutal and horrifying as was our own. It is somewhat transparently allegorical to the First Crusade, which was a little annoying at first, but the world and characters are so fully formed that I found myself forgiving its dependence on real world history. The treatment of the female characters is far from progressive, but it is consistent with the type of world that is depicted, and for the most part did not feel gratuitous. The second trilogy, The Aspect-Emperor, takes place twenty years after the end of the first trilogy, and continues to be awesome. The final book comes out next year, and I find myself at a loss for what to do with myself before then.

If you like your fantasy with brains, then I recommend checking it out. The first book is called The Darkness That Comes Before. Fair warning, there's a SHIT ton of rape. Despite being a fantasy, the books do nothing to idealize or simplify the world, which I grew to appreciate after a period of questioning whether or not the author was a total misogynist. In ancient times, rape was a sport, and the author did not want the reader to forget that. If anything, I'm even more conscientious of the issue as it is today after reading the books.

Now that I think of it, the war and violence is handled in a similar way. It's often abrupt, grotesque, and tragic. I often found myself wanting the characters to reach a peaceful resolution rather than rooting for a good ol' fight, such was the force of the writing.

Any way, pretty good stuff. I guess the author is a philosophy professor too, which makes a lot of sense after reading the books.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:13 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:

I'm about half-way through. It's a book that was put together after one-on-one interviews with almost everyone involved with Nickelodeon from 1985-95ish. They have everyone from what I've seen. I think the only people I haven't read something from so far, that stands out as missing, are Kel and Amanda Bynes. I understand Amanda as she has went all zany, but I'm not sure why I haven't read anything from Kel yet. Alanis Morriset maybe too?
Anyways, all the interviews are put together to come off like a continuing conversation about everything. What it was like to form the network, what was it like to grow-up on television, how life was outside of working on the show, what school was like when filming, pitfalls of being a child star for nick, becoming an adult, attitude of the channel, how ren and stimpy got made, why Rocko was even created, Rugrats, focus groups, what slime was made out of and how it came out, Double Dare, Nick Arcade

Basically, it's everything from Nick when we were kids. It's pretty cool to read about some of the stuff. They even talk about a few episodes of things they made just to do or how outtakes of all Nick cartoons will never be shown anywhere because they are the filthiest things imaginable.

Personally, I'm surprised that outside of those few everyone else is here. Marc Summers, Larisa Oleynik, Melissa John Hart, Keenan. Reading words from donkeylips was pretty awesome. Pretty funny guy.

Donkeylips called me an asshole IRL. One of my proudest moments. :cookieshmm:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:16 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Picked up Bo Burnham's poetry book, "Egghead" and Bobby Orr's autobiography today. Already read most of Egghead. It has a very Shel Silverstein feel to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:01 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa is godly.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 am 

So, the next book by Ernest Cline (he who wrote "Ready Player One" which is one of the most awesome books in the history of ever, seriously!) is doing another 80s gaming nostalgie novel, this time reminiscient of Last Starfighter and Flight of the Navigator. This is just great!

Btw, if you haven't read Ready Player One yet, here's the synopsis: In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.
But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Seriously, guys, Rushs 2112 is an important plot point, there's D&D and giant anime robots and... and... the audiobook is being read by Will Wheaton *nerdsplosion*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:16 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

apparently i'm on a non-fiction jag. just read:

The Truth About Uri Geller - James Randi

most of the way through:
Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns and Other Delusions - James Randi

I have never read such vast compendiums of stupidity in science. Not only are they hilarious, but now I can spot a phony research paper from fifty paces.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 am 

gimp wrote:

most of the way through:

I have never read such vast compendiums of stupidity in science. Not only are they hilarious, but now I can spot a phony research paper from fifty paces.

Heh, I imagin Randi going "What the fuck is wrong with you people? Why do I even have to explain this bullshit?" over and over again for 300 pages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
gimp wrote:

most of the way through:

Heh, I imagin Randi going "What the fuck is wrong with you people? Why do I even have to explain this bullshit?" over and over again for 300 pages.

yes!

I finished it last night. I'm about to start the Faith Healers (Randi again). I left it for last because this is where shit gets real. :(

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:

I just bought this book. Read the preview on amazon and decided it should be pretty interesting. Seems to be A LOT from the cast and crew of You Can't Do That on Television. I hope it's not too much, because that show was before my time and I wouldn't be able to put names to faces. That'd bother me a bit. Doesn't sound like the kid that played Sponge had the best relationship with his mother. Two or three cast members from Salute Your Shorts said she was a nightmare, and he's just kind of like "Meh. Whatever."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 am 

I finished Brins complete Uplift series. The secon Triology seems more coherent and connected and has a nice, adventury feel to it. The last book goes all out on the insane space stuff, so that's good. I also finished Peter F. Hamiltons Commonwealth Saga. The first part has an interesting villian in the Prime Aliens. The second part is a bit too fantasy for my taste but ok.

I tried the first book of the Honor Harrington series. I couldn't finish it, it's such a drag. It's Military SciFi of the worst kind, dry, flavourless, totally Mary Sue, fixated on technical details to the detriment of the characters.

So now I'm hopping between three books: Ancilliary Justice, Perdido Street Station and A Fire Upon the Deep. All three have interesting concepts and ideas and are well written but the latter seems to be the breezier one, so I'll stick with that for now. Ancilliary Justice is great but it's moving a bit slow and Perdido Street Station... well, it's Mieville. It's fascinating but it takes a lot of concentration to keep up with all the weird shit that's going on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:59 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I borrowed a stack of comic books from a friend, and they're wonderful so far.

I read the new Spider-man's first solo comics (Ultimate Spiderman with Miles Morales #1-7) and it was way better than I thought it'd be. I really like him as a character. It ended on a cliffhanger, so I need more of those when I get a chance to borrow more.

Rat Queens - it's basically a rowdy D&D game with a party of awesome chick characters. It felt like I was sitting around the D&D table cracking dick jokes with my buddies. Great art style, fantastic characters, great adventurer RPG storyline that took stuff you'd typically find in a low level campaign but made it really fun, and the humor is just spot fucking on, too.

I also borrowed, but haven't read yet:

Batman: Year One, Batman: Hush, Bee and Puppycat comics, Saga, Hawkeye Vs Deadpool, and Sex Criminals.

I'll update with how I feel about em once I've read em. I've got high hopes about all of em, though.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:23 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Rat Queens is fantastic, it was one of my favourite new series.

Sex Criminals was another surprise for me, it's so funny. Saga was really good for ages, it's trickled a bit since but is still really good. Hawkeye vs Deadpool isn't over yet but has been pretty good so far.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:38 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Hush is fun at times but intensely overrated, Year One deserves its spot as a classic

Saga seems legit, and yeah, Bendis is often a shitty writer but his Miles Morales stuff is good

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I finished Faith Healers. It was depressing. James Randi came to my suburb, to my favourite music venue, and I missed it because my family are a pack of cunts and I was penniless and homeless that week. He's 86, I'll probably never get the chance to see him again. :yellowv:

I just read Now Wait For Last Year by Philip K Dick which I heartily recommend to any sci-fi fan who is or has been trapped in a loveless marriage. Then I finally reread Reaperman by Terry Pratchett and now I'm working through the half dozen or so discworld books I have left to read.

:cookieshuh:

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I've been reading through Going Clear for a bit (time is limited, so I've stretched this out) and it is damn interesting. I'm disappointed I'll be finishing it right before the documentary hits HBO, instead of in Nov/Dec when I planned to be done. L. Ron Hubbard was a fascinating person. This is all added to the fascinating world/existence that is Scientology. The whole thing is just....something special. Read the book if you want/can. I'm assuming the HBO documentary (airing March 16th) will cover a chunk or most of it. The only main thing I know about that is HBO has lawyered up with about 120 lawyers to fight lawsuits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30