neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Noteworthy News
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
this is an old idea they've been trying at for ages.

Yeah, they always talk about how "oh, the public isn't going along with it..." Like we would actually be able to do a damned thing if we didn't want it. It's the same thing with putting up those solar panels in New Jersey and everyone complained that they had to look at them all day. It would save several billion, so they should just fucking do it already and tell everyone to deal with it. It's not like vending machines don't take credit cards or 5's now anyways.

i think it's just an excuse not to do something. i'm not even sure they even poll anybody about things like that.

i guess we must have really wanted all of the stupid and shitty things our socioeconomic/political systems do on a regular basis. god fucking forbid they do something that makes sense. we won't let them will we?

but we're all for bombing the shit out of a country because some dude with a moustache didn't have nukes because a couple of guys on the cia payroll who just happened to be camped out in the country next to mustache land decided they wanted to crash a plane into a building belonging to the country that's been funding them.

btdubs, al quida are who we armed when the russian army tried to take the middle east. castro, hitler, sadam, bin laden, countless others. we manufacture "bad guys" and put them in power so we have some place to fight a war. at the core: we're about as fucked a country as north korea.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:39 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Yeah, fuck dollar coins!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Yeah, fuck dollar coins!

not what i'm getting at.

it's my thinking that any actual form of public opinion has nothing to do with the decision.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

S1eepy wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Yeah, fuck dollar coins!

not what i'm getting at.

it's my thinking that any actual form of public opinion has nothing to do with the decision.

I do a lot of coin collecting in my spare time and have talked to a great number of people about this. Apparently there were a great number of banks that were on board with promoting the circulation of the coins and the mint even offered them at face value with free shipping to the public on their website for quite a while.

Unfortunately, no one would buy them at the bank to use as change except for the post office, and everyone who bought them at face value with free shipping just turned them into the bank to pay the cc bills so they could max out their card again and repeat. Some guy did this for over $800,000, and now he has enough airline miles to fly free for the rest of his life. Their promotions bombed so they cut back. I think they ended up spending a lot more money trying to promote than actually making the coins.

I also tend to find that the collectors are holding back projects like this. I got some change from a bank about a month ago and they mentioned that they had just received new pennies, so I bought $50 worth - two sealed boxes where you could see the dates inside. I put both on ebay, and they each sold for $32.50, plus shipping. One of the guys that bought actually lived within driving distance so I met him to deliver the coins. We talked for about 30 minutes or so and he told me that he had over $4,000 in his garage of nothing but the new 2012 shield pennies, and that he "had no idea why he kept buying them."

He then wondered outloud why they keep making them. I said "because people like you keep stashing them and they need more." He just kinda chucked and said "yeah.... me and everyone else I know..."

Oh a side note, they're thinking about doing away with the "nickel" contents of the nickel and making them out of steel to reduce price (also the congressman who's pushing for it is from Pennsylvania and it would be a big boost to the steel industry there...)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

S1eepy wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Yeah, fuck dollar coins!

not what i'm getting at.

I would agree with that part of your message, and if your post had ended without bringing up Iraq and Al Qaeda, it would've made more sense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Yeah, but if the government discontinues one form of currency in favor of another, it's just a matter of time before they get replaced, regardless of public opinion. And I think Sleepy's right; I kind of don't think public opinion is THAT strong about this. Like, maybe if you asked most people if they'd prefer to have dollar coins or dollar bills, most people would say bills, but I kind of doubt that they give much of a fuck about it. If it suddenly changed, I don't think the country will get in an uproar. We remained silent when a president faked a nuclear threat in order to go to war with another country; I feel like dollar bills becoming dollar coins won't be that big of a deal. While we're at it, let's actually get rid of pennies and nickels after talking about it for so long.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:38 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Yeah, but if the government discontinues one form of currency in favor of another, it's just a matter of time before they get replaced, regardless of public opinion. And I think Sleepy's right; I kind of don't think public opinion is THAT strong about this. Like, maybe if you asked most people if they'd prefer to have dollar coins or dollar bills, most people would say bills, but I kind of doubt that they give much of a fuck about it. If it suddenly changed, I don't think the country will get in an uproar. We remained silent when a president faked a nuclear threat in order to go to war with another country; I feel like dollar bills becoming dollar coins won't be that big of a deal. While we're at it, let's actually get rid of pennies and nickels after talking about it for so long.

:buddy:

that's exactly what i was getting at.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:11 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

S1eepy wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

:buddy:

that's exactly what i was getting at.

Yup, dat true. The point of my wall of text was just that upon minting a shit load of coins, they just sat around in vaults for a long time because whenever anyone got them they would turn them in for bills. This caused the mint and the banking industry to shit a mini brick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:25 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Right, but if it was actually a move towards officially shifting our currency, people wouldn't be allowed to exchange the coins for bills.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:05 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Right, but if it was actually a move towards officially shifting our currency, people wouldn't be allowed to exchange the coins for bills.

Truth. People would just carry around $5's as their small bills for the most part. I think the way to go would really be to replace 1's, 5's and 10's and have coins for each, that way we'd only have to print 20's and up. If you could save 5 billion on the 1's, I'm sure you could save more on the 5's and 10's. Just use a card anyways, I actually get paid a LOT of money from my bank for using mine. Unless I'm at a local store, then I try to use cash as much as I can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://www.ted.com/talks/hod_lipson_bui ... obots.html
:met:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:48 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

and our notes are plastic! what a riot.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:57 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141757.htm

\m/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:48 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pram.html

the news done did a news about me.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:56 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Wow, what a wanker. Can't believe someone would do that, well I guess I can, people are a bit shit sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

it was amusing. what is more amusing is the trash the daily mail printed about it.

Nameless88 wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14