neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Play-by-post D&D?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Posted a topic about this in the minecraft section a few weeks ago, had mixed responses. Anyone interested in a play-by-post d&d game here on the forums?

I'd start it off as a level 1 campaign and I'd be willing to help those who haven't played before create their characters / get used to the game.

Whatdayathink?

Post subject: Re: Play-by-post D&D?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:32 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I'd be interested depending on what the campaign is about.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:34 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I fit the "Haven't played before" category.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

What version?
I've played a little bit of 4.0 and a little bit of the original game (oldschool, I know) in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:26 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

4.0 is WoW for pen and paper, which means it blows, lol

I'd be running 3.5. I pretty much have the core books memorized.

I was thinking of running my old campaign that I never got going : Swords Scales and Fur. Set in Cintas Mountains where factions of martial arts practicing clans of Bugbears and Kobolds occupy a vast section of the population. Either that or a slightly futuristic campaign with limited technology taking place during a massive war.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:29 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Considering how much I'm enjoying my Bugbear Monk in our tabletop D&D game we play, I think I would really enjoy Swords Scales and Fur.

Also, if enough interest is generated, we can maybe make a subsection of the Misc. forum dedicated to the D&D campaign. I'm not sure exactly how to do that, but I'm sure one of the mods (coughFalloutcough) would know how. :buddy:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:30 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
4.0 is WoW for pen and paper, which means it blows, lol

I'd be running 3.5. I pretty much have the core books memorized.

I was thinking of running my old campaign that I never got going : Swords Scales and Fur. Set in Cintas Mountains where factions of martial arts practicing clans of Bugbears and Kobolds occupy a vast section of the population. Either that or a slightly futuristic campaign with limited technology taking place during a massive war.

if it starts taking off i'll give it a shot. i still want to make my bard/sorcerer/dread pirate i've written up several times for campaigns that never got off the ground.

though i doubt any character i make will top the awesome that is Bognus Brunn aka The Monstroserous. only character i've seen make it from 5 to 30. though being half-giant had everything to do with it i'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

Neon Jackal wrote:
I fit the "Haven't played before" category.

Seconded

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:07 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I feel compelled to try playing as a Dragonborn Bard, because it'd be hilarious. I almost did it with the current campaign I'm playing but pussied out and went Ranger, which is still fairly funny that I'm a 300 pound 6'7 dragon dude doing flips and acrobatic maneuvers in combat, duel wielding with a sickle and a handaxe.

Or a Dragonborn Monk, just because it'd be silly for similar reasons to the ranger, and my breath attack would work well with my lack of ability to use weapons.

I don't know a lot about what all races and classes are available in 3.5 though, I'd have to take a look.

Edit: I found this 3.5 character generator, it looks useful, idk if everything on here is kosher though, let me know, I'm not too familiar with this stuff.
http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

A concern would be honesty when rolling characters, maybe we should just set a total point limit rather than going with random rolls?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

If we're playing in Locrian's homebrew world, there's the standard races - elf, dwarf, human, gnome, halfling, basically everything you can find in the Players Handbook 3.5. There's also a small population of Thri-Kreen, Githyanki, and a slightly larger population of Bugbears and Kobolds.

He also has a homebrewed race or two, too. Brutes - half bugbear half dragon, shadow elves (purple elves with the ability to walk through walls a certain number of times a day), dracofiends (half fiend, half dragon), celestiafiends (half angel half fiend), annd....I know I'm missing a few.

But, Brutes, Dracofiends, and Celestiafiends are all very, very powerful creatures, so the level adjustment is like +8 on all of them. Unless we were playing an epic campaign where we all started at level 25 or something, I wouldn't suggest playing one of them. For those who haven't played before, level adjustment is exactly what it sounds like, it adjusts your level because the race you chose to play as is so awesome you basically take that many levels in just being one of them to get their special abilities. For example, Brute: +8 to strength, sometimes large sized, and has a breath weapon? If you were allowed to be lvl 1 with all those abilities, you'd be the most broken fuck of a character ever. So, you basically get held back a grade or two, learn to be a Brute first, then after 8 levels of just being you (because being you is so kewl :buddy: ) you get to train as an actual class.

Oh, also, Morte, I wanted to do that exact same thing. Firebreathing monk, ftw. That's why my current character is a Drunken Master. At level 10, they get the ability to convert alcohol they've chugged into a breath weapon, and this is like...once a round. Crazy shit, right? You gotta be like level 15 before you can even get the ability, but shit is it worth it. Granted, might've just been easier for me to be a damn half dragon, you know? Haha.

And if anyone's wondering how the fuck we got half dragon/half demons, and bugbear dragons and shit in this world, a couple of our old characters that we played for about 5 or 6 years got to around level 30, got bored, and basically started a eugenics project to see what kind of fucked up things we could make to put into an army. :coookieesssss:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Hmmm, I don't really know much about that setting (obviously) but it sounds intriguing enough. Worst case scenario if I wanted to be something that doesn't quite fit in the setting I could just be "a traveler from a distant land" or some similar such nonsense, right?
Also, is drunken master a custom class, or what?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Thri-Kreen is awesome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:49 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Hmmm, I don't really know much about that setting (obviously) but it sounds intriguing enough. Worst case scenario if I wanted to be something that doesn't quite fit in the setting I could just be "a traveler from a distant land" or some similar such nonsense, right?
Also, is drunken master a custom class, or what?

Drunken Master is a prestige class from the book Complete Warrior. You have to have a couple of monk abilities and basically be like level 5 or 6, but you take 10 levels of it, and it's essentially a class that learns how to properly bar fight, they can drink alcohol to gain strength of constitution at the cost of their intelligent and wisdom (sounds pretty accurate :coookieesssss: ), and they can use improvised weapons along with their hand to hand combat for additional damage. Like, in one round, I chug a bottle of beer, then I use the empty bottle against your head first as a crushing weapon, then as a slashing weapon for an additional 1d4 of damage. If you stack feats and everything right, you can be a fucking power house.

Oh, and at level 8, a couple of times a day, you can convert alcohol in your body into a healing potion. I am all that is man. *flex*

I think you can probably find every D&D book from 3.5 in a torrent that's only like 100 Mbs or so if you want to research some of the different classes.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:10 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Probably. So, it's like, after you reach a certain level as a monk, you can switch to that? What do you mean by "You have to have a couple of monk abilities and basically be like level 5 or 6, but you take 10 levels of it"?

Also, I personally have a tendency to go rogue/assassin/something of that nature.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:50 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Was trying to explain it without using the technical jargon in the game, since I didn't want to confuse you. I'll try to elaborate.

Basically, a prestige class is a specialization. Think of it like your regular class is like your general field of study, and your prestige class is picking a special field you exceed in. Like, having a degree in anthropology, but specializing in archeology. Or, an english major with an emphasis on library science. Or, a monk with a degree in Bar Fighting (minoring in Booze Chugging).

You can actually be any class and take Drunken Master, but Drunken Master does benefit greatest if you use hand to hand combat, which monks use. You could be a fighter, technically, and still be one. But you have to meet certain criteria which a monk can get a lot faster. In D&D, you can train in any feat (think Fallout 3's Perks) or put points into any skill, but if you put points into a skill that your class doesn't use, those points count less. This is called Class Skills and Crossclass skills. Imagine your entire life you've been locked away in a library studying magic, and you suddenly try on a whim to study nature and survival skills. Obviously, you're gonna kinda suck at them compared to someone's whose roughed it outdoors for years like a Ranger.

(Looks up the actual class skills) Okay, you might have to be a monk to take this class because it requires The Furry of Blows ability, which is a monk class ability, but I don't know if you can get it otherwise, you'd have to ask Locrian about that one. Basically, monks can attack several times on one enemy in a single turn, at higher levels think Fist of the North Star "yaaahhhhhh atatatatatata!" :awesome: . So, Drunken Master requires you to have Furry of Blows, 8 ranks in the skill Tumble (you can start with 4 ranks, and get one each level after that, sooo, lvl 5 if it's a class ability, and about lvl 10 if it isn't a class ability[crossclass skills level up in half points instead of full]), the evasion ability (another feat, but it's a class ability for Monks again), the feats Great Fortitude (adds +2 to fortitude saves), Dodge, and Improved Unarm Strike (or the monk's unarmed strike ability). So, in theory, you could be a fighter and take this class, I think, but almost all of those prerequisites are ones that a Monk gets already, so, it's easier to do if you're a Monk.

Also, as for the question about leveling. Basically, instead of leveling up your character as a Monk, once you reach the prerequisites, you can take up to 10 levels in Drunken Master, which is a specialized offshoot from your regular class. Once those 10 levels of Drunken Master are over, you can go back to leveling up your Monk abilities. I've actually been gaining one level of Monk, one of Drunken Master back and forth the last 3 or 4 times I've leveled up.

Hope that wasn't too much. Sorry for wall of text, haha.

*edit* Wait a minute, you're one of the guys that's actually played before. I feel kinda dumb trying to explain it outside of D&D lingo now. :facepalm:

Well, fuck it, that's for anyone who hasn't played now, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:29 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I've played very little, and it was mostly 4th edition which looking into 3rd edition stuff 4th seems very dumbed down (particularly in how abilities work), so what you said was still useful knowledge.

idk, I'd probably just play a basic class anyway. Only exception is if I did a rogue I might try to move towards eventually going Assassin, and if I rolled a Paladin it would be with the intention to eventually abandon my god and go with that one thing that's like a dark Paladin and gains more abilities the higher level I was as a Paladin before I switched.

Also, I seem to recall reading that if you're a monk or a paladin and take a second class, you can no longer gain levels as a monk/paladin. Or is this not true for prestige classes, since it's more of an offshoot than actually multi-classing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Drunken Master has a caveat that says you can still take Monk levels afterwards.

I dunno about Paladin, I never play that class. I've played evil characters for so long, I've gotten used to just hating the fuck out of that class. Plus, everytime I play, I like to straddle the moral gray area too much. Like, there's no fun if you've gotta be the buzzkill class everytime. At least with a monk, you can be Lawful Evil. :3 muahahah

But, I wouldn't worry too much about prestige classes. If we start at lvl 1, it's going to be a while before we can get to any of that stuff, probably.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:01 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm still not sure about how exactly we'd play. Like, in particular, how would dice rolls or dungeon maps work?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:34 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

The way Locrian used to do it was, he'd roll the dice for us. That way, someone wouldn't "miraculously" get 20s every round.

The way maps worked, he would usually hammer one out in MS Paint. Actually, he used my account on photobucket for awhile, so i can give you an example, haha:
Each character is marked by a letter or two, enemies have markers.

Every movement and action we take, we correspond to Locrian and he does the rest.

I can link to our old game, too, so you get a feel for how it flows.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:53 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I think I get the idea, it sounds like this could really work. Would Locrian probably be DMing?
I'm excited to get this going, actually.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:53 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, Locrian would DM it. I might be able to help with questions, but I don't know nearly as much as he does about D&D.

Here's an example of one of the campaigns we played:
http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=92
That was our lower level game,

and, here's the epic game we played:
http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Looking through both of those, you can kinda get the idea of how it'd play out. There'd be a lot of roleplaying, since it's play by post, and combat tends to go kind of slow, but it works out nicely if you're playing a game that people in different towns want to play together. There are kinks in the system, but I think it works nicely given the circumstances.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Perhaps a good starting point would be for everyone interested to go to this site http://goonmill.org/millwheel/ and build a character sheet, and present any questions in character building to people who might know the answers?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:15 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

How many people do you need?

EDIT: I tried that link and it got confusing. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I can't think we would at any point reach a place where we have "too many", given how unpopulous these forums are.
Gal Edge and a friend of his might wish to join in, FYI. And I think the three of us might all do monster classes for the lulz.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:50 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I can't think we would at any point reach a place where we have "too many", given how unpopulous these forums are.
Gal Edge and a friend of his might wish to join in, FYI. And I think the three of us might all do monster classes for the lulz.

if allowed i'm so doing an atronoch.