neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Play-by-post D&D?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 pm 
Resident Poet Laureate

How are we doing HP? Rolling? I figure if we're doing point-buy we might as well have a static HP advancement system so that we stay balanced. In my group we usually take the full Hit Die value at first level, then alternate half/half+1 for even and odd levels respectively. It ensures that everyone can take at least one hit, and in the end it doesn't make it too difficult for us to die if we really shit the bed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Soruja wrote:
How are we doing HP? Rolling? I figure if we're doing point-buy we might as well have a static HP advancement system so that we stay balanced. In my group we usually take the full Hit Die value at first level, then alternate half/half+1 for even and odd levels respectively. It ensures that everyone can take at least one hit, and in the end it doesn't make it too difficult for us to die if we really shit the bed.

i did full hd + con mod.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

S1eepy wrote:
he attains large size at 9 levels in athach (huge at 19)

Ohh, you're talking about advancing him in monster levels, not class levels. Here's the problem with that : If you advance strictly in monster levels, you don't get any of the class abilities that the others would get. Your "typical" athach is given by the normal stats in the book you found them in, with the given level adjustment. At 14hd, yeah, you would be huge, but everyone else in the group would have abilities that you just couldn't measure up to by playing a strictly monster-classed creature.

Edit : Also, HP for level 1 is max 1 HD for whatever class you are (or monster) plus your con modifier. That's the typical way for starting out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:06 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

Ohh, you're talking about advancing him in monster levels, not class levels. Here's the problem with that : If you advance strictly in monster levels, you don't get any of the class abilities that the others would get. Your "typical" athach is given by the normal stats in the book you found them in, with the given level adjustment. At 14hd, yeah, you would be huge, but everyone else in the group would have abilities that you just couldn't measure up to by playing a strictly monster-classed creature.

Edit : Also, HP for level 1 is max 1 HD for whatever class you are (or monster) plus your con modifier. That's the typical way for starting out.

i know, which is why i'm multiclassing him fighter. the athach levels are mostly for feats, stat mods, ac bonus, and to beef up my will save a little bit. i probably wouldn't want to take more than 9 levels in athach. the rest of those levels are should he survive to epic level. yes he might end up lacking ability wise, but he should make up for it with superior stats ,above average amount of feats, and a large hit point pool. maybe start sinking skill points into craft armor so obtaining large monstrous plate won't be impossible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 am 
Resident Poet Laureate

LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

Great. Svaltvinter is all rolled and ready to go. Do you have a preferred method for determining starting equipment or should we use the class starting gp?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:48 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

We have a temporary section for the threads needed. They will temporarily be stickies in the Land of Teh Clevar.

Post your characters here. ONLY YOUR CHARACTERS IN THIS THREAD. It is for quick reference.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8187&start=0

Out of Character discussion here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8188

Game Mechanics / questions about character creation here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8189

I will be making a post with general information about the new races for this world if anyone is interested in them. For now, it's these three threads. When the game starts, I'll make a new one for each chapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i've had a change of heart. i think i'm switching to a rather special build i came up with a while ago. i'm not going to ruin the surprise, but its awesome. the athatch is going to be too slow. i'm going to redo the whole thing (good thing i love rolling characters), and rework the backstory so its not written by a retard. i'm feeling something capable of ascension.

edit: god damnit. this is going to take me all day. this is by far the most precise character i've ever come up with. i fuck up a single level and hes trash.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Is it worth me attempting to try this even though I'm going away for a month on the 24th?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

If you're away for awhile, your character can be shoved off on a side mission, or you can kill him off and make a new one when you come back. Totally fine, man.

Gonna try to work on this dude. Gotta figure out a name and stuff.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:38 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Neon Jackal wrote:
Is it worth me attempting to try this even though I'm going away for a month on the 24th?

Here's the nice thing about play-by-post : One month of play time can be nothing but talking, or a single fight or two. But then again, we can blow through 2 or 3 chapters in a matter of weeks too. Just all depends on how in-depth the role-playing gets.

And here's the thing, it's not like you need to spend a great deal of time online any day. You will usually have to post AT MAXIMUM, once a day. When we're in a combat situation, you might not need to post for 2 or 3 days at a time. More posts are always encouraged if we're in a RP heavy section, but not necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:26 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Maybe I'll sit this one out and just keep an eye on the threads to see what it's like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:08 am 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Alright I'm in, but it'll take me a bit to re-familiarize myself with everything, I'm used to super old school 2.0 rule-set so I'm thinking about torrenting all the books and reading up and everything again. >_>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I think the DM can handle most of that stuff, I'd just focus on character creation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:21 am 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I think the DM can handle most of that stuff, I'd just focus on character creation.

Yeah after doing a quick Demonoid search for 3.5 books, I've come to realize there's a lot more to this than there used to be, or rather what I'm used to playing with. I think I'll just create a char and then go from there.

Edit: My only qualm is that I'm not sure about some specific weapon restrictions. Like for instance my bard character I'm planning on rolling used to need at least 15 str to use a Composite Longbow, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Load up the character generator I linked, try to make that character, see if it lets you.
Maybe get the Zen Archery feat if you don't have enough STR. Do bards have high wisdom?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:30 am 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Load up the character generator I linked, try to make that character, see if it lets you.
Maybe get the Zen Archery feat if you don't have enough STR. Do bards have high wisdom?

The way I used to play I recall Int and Wis being the lowest for bards, and Dex / Char being the highest. (In fact you couldn't have lower than 15 Char). Which is another thing I'm not all to sure about. I'm using the link you gave though so hopefully this all works out.

Edit: I'm retarded pretty sure I need at least moderate Int to cast spells. Derp.

Double Edit: Holy shit I want to play this build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529

Not that I have any idea how to play, but it looks hella fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:07 am 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

FUCK I am pissed. I can't figure out why in the hell I can't use a composite longbow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:27 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Need martial weapons proficiency I would imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Hey, so I played D&D forever ago and I want to play on the forum but I have no idea where to begin and was wondering if you could help get me started and point me in the right direction...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:00 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Hi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:38 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

After hearing kliq talking about this new online D&D game, I thought I would see if it was cool to join in the campaign? Ive playing 3.0 a long time ago. If so, I was debating some type of melee support class such as the Hexblade (complete warrior) or perhaps a Ranger (never actually played one of these).

EDIT: I was thinking about the Shadow Elves as a possible race, is there a certain book that this race is in or are they a home brewed race?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

KevronSB wrote:
Hey, so I played D&D forever ago and I want to play on the forum but I have no idea where to begin and was wondering if you could help get me started and point me in the right direction...

well

you might want to start by reading the thread :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Homebrewed race.

Annd, fuck, I can not find the stats on them.

I know it's something like a +2 or 4 to Char, + to Hide, and they have a passwall ability that is equal to their HD+Charisma Mod+4. Oh, and they're +2 Level Adjustment. You'd really have to ask Locrian, they're his baby, haha.

Also, more the merrier, and we haven't started yet, so I don't think anyone's going to be opposed to you two joining. Hell, even if we already had started, I'm sure you'd be welcome to join in late.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 pm 
Resident Poet Laureate

Nameless88 wrote:
Homebrewed race.

I know it's something like a +2 or 4 to Char, + to Hide, and they have a passwall ability that is equal to their HD+Charisma Mod+4. Oh, and they're +2 Level Adjustment. You'd really have to ask Locrian, they're his baby, haha.

Also, more the merrier, and we haven't started yet, so I don't think anyone's going to be opposed to you two joining. Hell, even if we already had started, I'm sure you'd be welcome to join in late.

Drow?

Also for people wanting to learn: You're on the internet. Use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Soruja wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
Homebrewed race.

Drow?

Also for people wanting to learn: You're on the internet. Use it.

+1
i taught myself how to use my toolset by giving my teachers the finger and using the tubez.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next