neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Play-by-post D&D?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:06 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I played a half thri-kreen half elf psionic science experiment gone horribly right in an old game online. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Locrian's probably cool with you doing some wacky shit, too. :awesome:

I'm really trying to figure out what I want to play. I'm thinking melee combat oriented wizard. I did it before, and it was a blast.

Thinking it over still, but it should be fun if I do it right.

Locrian, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about with that idea (Brutus). We're starting at Level 1, correct? It'd be awhile before I get anything good out of that build, though. Hmm...

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:58 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
I played a half thri-kreen half elf psionic science experiment gone horribly right in an old game online. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Locrian's probably cool with you doing some wacky shit, too. :awesome:

I'm really trying to figure out what I want to play. I'm thinking melee combat oriented wizard. I did it before, and it was a blast.

Thinking it over still, but it should be fun if I do it right.

Locrian, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about with that idea (Brutus). We're starting at Level 1, correct? It'd be awhile before I get anything good out of that build, though. Hmm...

*strokes beard* what is the ruling on large characters? i've rped them before if that makes a difference.

i've really really wanted to play an athach for the longest time.

edit: fuck it. i don't care. i'm rolling one anyway.

yup, here it comes athach fighter out of complete champion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:43 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I don't think my character will be a very good fighter at all. Battles may be my weak point....that should become interesting....but it may not be that bad. The magic should work pretty ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i'll worry about equipment later. Athach are op as fuck, and come with a +5 adjustment, however, i have to waste a ton of points on int to get any skill points whatsoever. i'll also need to take fighter//athach levels separately. i'm hoping my back story opts me in though. (maybe even bonus exp :buddy: *crosses fingers*)

:fuckingsun:
:coookieesssss:

Last edited by S1eepy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:56 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I think a Large character gets bonuses and minuses depending on size.

Wait, think? Fuck that shit. I've got the entire library of D&D books at my arsenal. I'll get you a direct ruling in a second.

Also, Bogey, as long as you have ranks in hide, you'll be fine. Sneak attacks are the bread and butter of an arcane trickster (which I'm guessing you'll be going for once you reach the prerequisites.) Hide, sneak attack with a lightning bolt or something, rofl, hide again.

Bogey: Arcane Trickster Prereqs are
Any Nonlawful alignment
Decypher Script Rank 7, Disable Device Rank 7, Escape Artist Rank 7, Knowledge Arcana Rank 7.
Must have the ability to cast Mage Hand and at least one Arcane spell of 3rd level or higher
Must have Sneak Attack +2d6

I think that comes out to being about lvl 6 in both sorcerer and thief. But, man, once you get there, it's a pretty sweet ride.

You get the ability to pick locks, disable devices and use sleight of hand (pickpocket) from a range of 30 feet. You get sneak attack damage on your spells, and sometimes you can do a sneak attack as if you were hidden when you really aren't. Oh, and you still level up as if you were a Sorcerer in terms of Spells Per Day and what level of spells you know. It's magnificent.

Okay, and on to Sleepy's question. Large sized characters get the following bonuses/penalties:

Hmm, I apparently don't have the book that has their player stats in there, but
http://anime-adventurers.net/books/Sava ... WEB%29.pdf
that has the stats for Athach in there.

As for being large sized, I can't find it in the books. Locrian would know off the top of his head, probably. I know they have an added level adjustment, so you might be a few levels behind the rest of us. I think they get additions to Con and Str, and possibly a penalty to AC for being a big target. The exact numbers I do not know, though.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Okay, and on to Sleepy's question. Large sized characters get the following bonuses/penalties:

Hmm, I apparently don't have the book that has their player stats in there, but
http://anime-adventurers.net/books/Sava ... WEB%29.pdf
that has the stats for Athach in there.

As for being large sized, I can't find it in the books. Locrian would know off the top of his head, probably. I know they have an added level adjustment, so you might be a few levels behind the rest of us. I think they get additions to Con and Str, and possibly a penalty to AC for being a big target. The exact numbers I do not know, though.

i have all of the 3.5 books. i know the bonuses and penalties for large characters. which is mostly just ac penalty, speed boost, reach, gear cost, and grapple modifiers which scale with each size class. i used savage species, complete champion, and PH1 to roll my character. athach start out as medium and progress to huge once they hit 19 levels in athach. which i probably wont be getting to as i'm also taking levels in fighter and they have a +5 level adjustment ( so i need 10k exp to hit level 2) with crushing int and cha penalties. for a 1 fighter//0 athach that character is good to go. though tbh i might switch it to 1 athach.

edit: yeah. i'm reworking this.switching from fighter to athach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I know he's let me have a large sized character in the past, so he shouldn't have any problem with it. Just as long as you know there's an adjustment for it and all. That's gonna be a nasty bastard you're playing, too. Wow.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

o'ht'ga
6'8''
Eyes:Gray
Skin:Dull Green
230lbs
0//10,000exp

Athach: 1
Chaotic Neutral
diety:Bahamut

str:14(2)
dex:16(3)
con:14(2)
int:8(-1)
wis:16(3)
cha:1(-5)

hp:10
ac:14
initiative:3
speed: 30
darkvision:60ft
speaks: giant, common

fort:2
reflex:3
will:6

bab:2

skills:

climb:4
Craft:-1
jump:3
listen:3
profession (door opener):3
spot:4

Racial Abilities:
+2 Wis
-4 Int
-4 Cha

Proficiencies:
Simple weapons
Light Armor

feats:
Air Devotion:
-Air Mantle [1/D]
swift action: +1(per 4 levels[+6 max])) sacred AC bonus.
projectiles have automatic 50% miss.
1 minute effect

Multidexterity

inventory: 15
backpack
belt puch
bedroll
flint and steel
hempen rope (50ft)
sun rod:2
Rations:10days
waterskin

Equipment:

Background:
o'ht'ga work for tiny metal man. he lives in tower on
underside of sky. o'ht'ga stand outside most time. keep
back angry black vines. o'ht'ga not slave though. wake up
one day; not know who is what. walk for long time and see
big shiny far away. when close o'ht'ga hear little
ticking. not know anything else move o'ht'ga see tiny
little man spray fire at black vines. he tell me they
want to hide tower from him. he also say him need me for
open doors. he has tiny baby hands not big enough for
heavy doors. o'ht'ga crush vines until blue ground turn red.

little man take o'ht'ga to shiny big door. him tell me
that what inside control everything outside. but that he
can no go there because of lots heavy doors and hard
locks. tiny man say he have no other choice; i only one
he see. and am me can be only one here who can open
doors. and am he can be only one to open locks.

o'ht'ga been with tiny man at shiny tower for many fogs.
tiny man say not measure days by sun and dark. that they
always change. he say fog always on time. o'ht'ga not
sure day, but know fog. one time tiny man get excited.
say him found how to open angry lock. but what him need
not here. tiny man say he can't go himself, and is afraid
to let o'ht'ga go. again tiny man say him have no choice.
must be me.

o'ht'ga kill vines for not so many fogs and tiny man say
him have something for me. him give me blindfold and say
put on eyes. then feel big ouch on arm. tiny man say
o'ht'ga stupid and let angry vine inside. tiny man then
give o'ht'ga little cold ring on piece of rope. tiny man
say when take blindfold off hold ring then say ****** and
i will get chest of prizes and image? of what tiny man
need me get him. tiny man say he know when o'ht'ga have
what him want. tiny man say o'ht'ga must do this or black
vines will hide tower again, and tiny man will need to
wait big lots more fogs before him can find it again.
tiny many say no more parts left. tiny man say he was
very big. but am small and weak so him can keep repair.
tiny man then say if o'ht'ga get what tiny man need that
tiny man can give o'ht'ga anything o'ht'ga want. no need
worry about time, him say, just find what him need and
o'ht'ga can have anything.

tiny man then quiet and windy for long time. o'ht'ga get
hot so take blindfold off to get o'ht'ga cold. o'ht'ga
see big hot sky fire and fuzzy green ground.o'ht'ga not
know who is what anymore. but o'ht'ga not know who is
what before, so o'ht'ga not think much new.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:32 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I like it so far.

Ok, here's the thing on large sized characters. Large = 8' or taller, so Sleepy's character would not need any further adjustments to his character since he's "only" 6'8". Large sized characters add a +2 level adjustment, just fyi tho.

Ok, seeing as how pretty much EVERYONE wants to play something a little ridiculous (by race standards at least), I think we're going to start the campaign in this way.

There will be a prologue where everyone is level 1, and after a few events we will fast forward to a time when everyone isn't so sucky compared to the average of their races. It will all be story line based.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:54 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

So, prologue where we're level one, then we move on to when we actually have class levels and shit? Cuz that'd be nice.

If we could start at like level 6 or 8, that'd be kick ass. Sorcerers could have a few levels of nice abilities. I could be a fighter/mage, large sized, and have a few feats so I don't suck in combat. I could get behind this idea, I think.

Oh, also, dude, your phone won't let me call you. Just an FYI.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:06 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Hmmm, the toughest part of D&D for me has always been figuring out what I should do when I level, but that sounds alright assuming I can get the hang of it. Or I could just roll my character as both a level 1 character and a level 6. I'm actually starting to think I might want to be something else, but idk, the Grippli ninja is pretty awesome. If I picked something else it'd probably be some sort of Saurial (good natured dinosaur people) just because
1. There don't seem to be any "good" characters in our party so far
2. They're dinosaurs
3. "Flyer" saurials are pterodactyl people and that's amazing. They get a dex bonus and can fly short distances. If I did that I might still go Ninja, or maybe just rogue, or possibly something else altogether. I could also be one of the other kinds and go bard, for the novelty of being a singing dinosaur.

But I'm probably gonna stick with ninja frogman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
singing dinosaur.

:awesome:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
I like it so far.

Ok, here's the thing on large sized characters. Large = 8' or taller, so Sleepy's character would not need any further adjustments to his character since he's "only" 6'8". Large sized characters add a +2 level adjustment, just fyi tho.

Ok, seeing as how pretty much EVERYONE wants to play something a little ridiculous (by race standards at least), I think we're going to start the campaign in this way.

There will be a prologue where everyone is level 1, and after a few events we will fast forward to a time when everyone isn't so sucky compared to the average of their races. It will all be story line based.

he attains large size at 9 levels in athach (huge at 19)

athach is probably one of the most dramatically scaling races i've seen.

by 19th lvl they look more like this:
14d8hd
+14str
+12con
+2dex
+30 natural armor
size:huge
speed:50ft
15ft reach
2d8 natural bite that does primary and secondary str damage(1d6,2d6)

might want to look it up if you've never seen their chart before. i shit bricks when i first saw it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

most leveling will be needing assistance with. I have no books or anything like that (I may have some torrents) but leveling up and such in 3.0 I'm not sure is exactly like 4.0...thus...uh....possibly. That thing posted above seems to be where I'd like to work towards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Leveling up is ezpz. That's actually one of the things I can do on my own in this game now, haha.

If you need it, I have an "extra copy" of the PHB that I can "mail" to you, it has everything you need.

You might also want a copy of Complete Warrior, if you're using melee and ranged weapons as your main character's attack focus (as in, not using magic predominantly). Or, if you feel bad about "borrowing" books from me, I can just copy sections of it and tell you things you might like.

Also, for magic users, Complete Arcana. And if you want to be a good guy, The Book of Faggotry Exalted Deeds is pretty righteous.

I kinda wanna play a good character, but I dunno. Like, I'm feeling like I want to play someone who has a righteousness to them. I was playing Fallout New Vegas a few days ago, and I committed raider genocide and it was one of the first times in my video game playing history that being the good guy didn't make me feel like a fucking tool. What alignment would it be that destroys everything in his path in the name of justice and truth? Would that be Lawful Neutral? Cuz I could get behind that, man. Granted, if I caught anyone stealing in character, I think I would have to swordomize them, so I'd be a major cockblock. I dunno how that'd work. But, the alignment is fitting into my idea of a character to play.

I'm thinkin Fighter/Wizard, focuses on abilities like Enlarge Person. Bonus feat of Monkey Grip to hold a weapon a size category larger than they are. We're taking a Large sized fighter, with mage buffs, running through town with a Huge sized weapon. At lvl 9 spells, I would be able to destroy everything you love with a Shapechange spell. Gargantuan man with a Colossal weapon. Fear. Me.

I'm thinking Fighter/Wizard, because they both get bonus feats, and a Human to get the bonus feat for being completely vanilla raced.

Actually, you know what? I'm fuckin doin this. Put on your 3D glasses, cuz I'm comin for ya. :fuckingsun:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I would think it would be Lawful Good probably.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:36 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I wouldn't be able to seriously play Lawful Good, I think. I'd be stepping on everyone's dick goin like "LOL, I SAW YOU PICKPOCKET THAT GUY! I'M TEEELLLLLIIIIINNNNGGGG!"

I'm gonna investigate some more. Also, anyone know where I can find a good Fill in The Blank character sheet template? I found one, but it won't let me save the information in it, what a piece of shit.

Also, for future references, in case anyone is interested in alignments, I did find a pretty comprehensive list of what each alignment entails and what their belief structure is and how they respond to common situations:
http://easydamus.com/alignment.html

Pretty awesome. It has like a creed for each alignment, what is honorable/dishonorable, etc. It helped me figure out how to play a Lawful Evil character pretty nicely. Or, at least gave me a shove in the right direction.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

God damn this must take a lot to remember.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Alignment page I just posted, you don't have to follow it directly. It's more of a guideline.

I don't understand the concept of following laws but being evil at the same time, so I instead use Lawful Evil as a character who is a bastard but will be forthright with it and has an honor system. Either way, I'm going to kill you, but you'll see me coming at you head on instead of poisoning you or stabbing you in the back. Begging for mercy, the best I will do is kill you painlessly.

I think it's really up to the individual player to decide how you want to play your alignment. My problem is I've only played a mix of Chaotic/Neutral/Evil, so Lawful is kind of new grounds for me. I think I got the hang of it, though, so I think I'm going to move to a Lawful Neutral and see how that works. If I can handle that? I may try a Paladin someday, but being an evil character for so long, I fucking hate Paladins. I'd play one in the way that I've viewed them all, as a righteous cunt who thinks he's better than everyone else. As a Lawful Neutral character, I can still be a bad ass without being some do gooder pussy who's only joy in life is helping the downtrodder and gargling his god's balls.

Baby steps, man, baby steps.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:10 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Oh yeah, the alignment looks much easier to follow I'm just talking about everything else.
I'm overwhelmed.
I feel like that little kid who wants to play a video game with all the big kids where I couldn't possibly understand what's going on and I'll spend the whole time dying and pissing everyone else off. :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Dude, that's how everyone feels when they start this game. My best friend who's been playing this with me since we were both like 10, he still doesn't understand parts of it, haha.

Once you get the hang of it, it'll be a lot easier. Playing online is super easy, too, the DM does most of logistics of it like rolling the dice and keeping track of damage and stuff, you just tell him what you want to do.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:35 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Hmm, I've never had issue rationalizing Lawful Evil. Laws are sometimes evil, being a lawful character in that context makes you lawful evil. But to each his own.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Well, to me, if you follow the laws (don't murder people, don't steal, etc), you're really limiting yourself on evil things to do.

I figure, as a lawful evil character, I have certain bonds to people I won't break. Example, I am loyal to my friends. If my friends go off and start fucking things up, it's my duty to help them and protect them. If they happen to rob a bank, I'll protect them because I've made my allegiance with them. I personally won't rob the money myself, but if I get a share of it, I'm not going to deny it on the grounds that I'm morally against stealing.

I think more like Gangster or Mafia member. They obey the laws within their organization. They use the society's laws to get what they want and achieve a seat of power. Doesn't mean I have to obey the laws, exactly. But, blatantly disregarding the laws will land me in hot shit, and I don't want that, because I won't be able to convince people that I am a trustworthy person and deserve power over them. So, in secret, break laws if you furthers your goals. But, do it in an organized crime kind of way, not in a "let's go stab an orphan. What's he gonna do, tell his parents? :coookieesssss: " kind of way.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:56 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I think a gangster fits the bill of Lawful Evil pretty well, yeah, because the gang is an organization that has laws. However, think a knight could be Lawful Evil as well, it would just mean he was serving a corrupt king.

I view Lawful as meaning the character acts in accordance with some sort of ruling body. Lawful Good vs Lawful Evil depends on if that ruling body is good or evil. If your king orders you to slaughter innocents, doing so is Lawful Evil. Disobeying is Chaotic Good. Disobeying and establishing a new monarchy to replace the current corrupt administration is Lawful Good. Disobeying, killing the king, and then going back and killing the people he told you to kill is Chaotic Evil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:23 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, that sounds about right, haha. I've always heard Darth Vader as being a Lawful Evil character. Serves an evil emperor, has honor regarding the Jedi religion. I mean, second scene he's in, someone's like "durp durp, the Force is retarded" and he chokes a bitch. He's evil, but he's got his standards.

I feel that's what Lawful Evil is. It's Evil, but with standards. The evil exes in Scott Pilgrim could be Lawful Evil, too. I mean, Patel fucking sends him an email telling him that he's going to kick his ass. :lol: Seems pretty organized, if you ask me.

ExPostFacto wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next