neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Ya know... If I make a killing at this open enrollment during March like I think I'm going to, I'm going to buy that book. Because, fuck it, it's the American Dream, damnit!

Also, I shit myself again yesterday. Two days in a row man... Fucking sushi.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Purchased all my parts last night and will have them at my house around Thursday. Might not have time to put it together until the week after, but I've bought and will be building a computer. I've become one of those guys. As a bonus my graphics came with a free copy of Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

I'm also looking at computer programming degree programs at Purdue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bogey wrote:
Purchased all my parts last night and will have them at my house around Thursday. Might not have time to put it together until the week after, but I've bought and will be building a computer. I've become one of those guys. As a bonus my graphics came with a free copy of Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

I'm also looking at computer programming degree programs at Purdue.

let me know once you've got your computer assembled. i might be able to help you save a fuck-ton of money on that degree.

i've been there; done that. i'm here to tell you that, with programming, a good portfolio blows a degree out of the fucking water.
the only real problem is that terminology can be tricky to hunt down when you don't know what you're looking for is called.
for this; it is nice to have a few (e)books laying around to fill in the gaps.

programming can be reduced simply to finding solutions to problems. a billion different little problems whose solutions can incorporate the solutions to other problems. i'll show you what i mean.

i just started a project myself. i'm being lazy (eg:realistic) and using game maker since it's just me. game maker is basically a rendering system, compiler, and library, with some light gui tools. it saves you time on some things, but as making a game is a huge project; it is a good starting point for a smaller scale project that can later be blown up with a bigger team. getting the ball rolling is the absolute hardest part. though it will never stop being challenging.

i'm working out a tower defense game because, well, i've been playing a bunch lately and i think i could do a pretty good one. i was on fire when writing out the concept and have one 70% done from two hours of down time at work. it's a little bit different of a spin on the traditional.

i don't know how much you know about programming, but to start out you have a couple of different things. i won't go into the basics much, but with a TD game, you typically want some sort of grid environment to base the game on top of. technically the display area and maps are already a grid anyway, but you want something with a little bit heftier unit size than 1 pixel. so we have to make our own grid.

not only do we ask how we make our grid: we also ask which way will give us the most options later on: and what is the most efficient way to do so?

so we take note of that problem and first figure out our unit size. i'm using 32x32, so the sprites i will be using will also be 32x32.

we could make the grid any number of ways, but what i am doing is a little bit more complicated than just drawing the grid and using one corner of each intersection to denote location. it will give me a foundation i can do a lot of things with later. if you will: a solution that can solve a number of different problems more efficiently than it will solve a single problem less efficiently.

there's a lot of foresight involved. especially in the earlier stages.

so, how i am making my grid:

i have an object called a Cell. it contains all of the information related to, say, (0,5 or (2,3).

if i want my grid to be 20x20; i want to arrange 400 of these objects into a square. i'll be using these cells to display the terrain or which structure is on a particular cell. as well as be able to tell which creeps are within it. ect, ect. this breaks up my effects into square bases. i could move to a triangular grid by doing different maths to round the corners.

now; i have a problem. i need to know how to call each Cell individually. as they are created their ID is 0,1,2,3,4,ect.
i could reference them all directly by ID, but how i do that would change if i want to use different sized grids. so i need a scalable way to store that information.

so to do this; i'm going to use an identical structure; a 2d array. so Array[0,0] corresponds to grid location (0,0).

i could do assign them manually, but again, scalable ways are better. they solve more problems later on. doing lots of things one at a time must always be too much work.

i start by creating a few variables
var ax;
var ay;

these will take input from something else. by for now, we worry about the grid. we've left a hook and that's the important part.
these will be the dimensions of the grid.
next, i also grab the pixel dimensions to denote where the grid lines will be for the map area.

bx = ax * 32
by = ay *32

multiplied by my unit size. later i'm going to come back and make this scale as well; so that my grid size and cell size can be scalable.

so now i have what i need. i make my array
Array[ax,ay] = 0;
ax, ay are the dimensions for the grid which are being called in externally. equals 0 so that the array cells have an initial value.

now; my new problem is how do i create my cells? making 400 of them one at a time is way too much work.
i'm going to use a loop. i don't need something fancy for this, so i'm just going to use a repeat loop, which runs however many times you tell it to, and then it moves on. but my array is 2 dimensional, so i'm going to use two loops. and i'm going to use ax and ay again. and i'm going to grab the ID of each cell at the same time. this is so i have an affixed location that i can reference them from later. pretty neat-o.
Code:
i = 0;
j = 0;
repeat(ax){
       repeat(ay){
              Array[i,j] = instance_create(i*32, j*32, Cell);
              j +=1;
       }
i +=1;
}

this will cycle through the array cells at a rate of i * j. the cell is created at the pixel grid lines, treating one corner of each intersection as the grid. so grid 1,1 is pixel space 32x32. it's both a grid of dots and cells. while the cell is created, it's ID is moved into the corresponding array cell. so Array[0,3] is the ID of the third Cell created, which is also grid position (0,3) and pixel position (0,96).

great. now i have a scalable informational grid.

the next step is to then go on and develop the cells by allowing different objects to occupy them.

programming is a constant series of problems that are a hell of a lot more complicated than you would assume as someone who doesn't program.
but it's immensely gratifying when you get a good solution. progress is fought for. good solutions are well fought victories.

another tip: take lots of notes. don't try to do a lot of code in your head. not because it can't be done, but way down the road, you might run into a problem, and you might not remember what you were thinking when you first went through. then, you wind up changing it, and chasing errors all the way back up to where you just were, at the same intersection all over again. then, you finally remember what you were thinking and have to change it all back. and god fucking forbid you do it again. you'd be happier with the air rushing through your hair as you jump off of a bridge.

^this. right here^^. not fun. sometimes the problem you have to solve is you.
taking notes is less work. must always do the least work possible to arrive at the desired solution as efficiently as you can.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I read a developer's ama awhile back. Paraphrasing they said that if your notes aren't at keast as thick as a small phonebook you're going to have major issues. I believe that 100%. I have some "projects" that fill up decent sized three ring binders. Im meticulous as fuck when it comes to ideas and possible problems, not saying I'm going to have a easy time if/when I decide to actually go through with creating them. But if I do I'll be able to understand what I'm trying to accomplish and why. Although if I change anything itll be a pain to track how that affects any story or mechanical elements.

I'm playing around with a way to keep track of things via a timeline and "character relationship" map, and individual notes for things pertaining to certain mechanics, and characters (as long as it doesn't affect any story arc significantly)
My friend told me its basically how he runs/creates his d&d campaigns while DMing haha.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
i don't know how much you know about programming.

In high school I took basically every programming class they had, it went through Basic, C++, HTML as a freshman because, why not, and then a Java class. I've kept up on the basics for years and delved into one or two bigger things over the years. I've been sitting back over the past few weeks and was looking at my current life direction, especially when it comes to classes, and just thought "what the fuck am I doing in business?" I mean, I like it. It's fun. I just look at everyone I know who has any type of business degree. My Aunt is the only one who isn't the manager of a retail chain store. I just don't think I can do that kind of thing.
I really enjoyed doing programming and when I was doing them in classes I picked it up pretty quick and usually got through without too many problems. Me building a computer just lined up at a time with this thought process. The computer building has been in my head for months. If I make this switch I'll have done something I didn't really do when it came to my business classes: invest money into myself because I see me getting it back ten fold.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

if you want to work on a code project; let me know. i know up to a certain point it's mostly a solitary thing, but once you have the foundation down it opens up.

if any; what type of programming interests you the most?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I appreciate the offer but I'm steeping myself back into the basics now because I just want to understand I fully remember/brush up on things to make sure I know them.

Right now I'm going through the Computerscienceforeveryone.com thing someone posted a year back for someone else. Making the tic-tac-toe game. As for what kind of programming...I dunno. I love games, obviously, but I'm not stuck to the idea of doing those.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i've been working on a rock song, i have the rhythm guitar, bass and vocals.
so yesterday i thought "why the fuck am i straining myself trying to make real sounding instruments on a computer when i can just play up the electronic aspect?" and i don't know how to answer that question.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

gimp wrote:
so yesterday i thought "why the fuck am i straining myself trying to make real sounding instruments on a computer when i can just play up the electronic aspect?" and i don't know how to answer that question.

I started writing out a rock song about 9 years ago. I had the bass line, guitar part, and drums all thought through, and even had the chorus and two versus written. It was all really clear in my head (and a bit on paper).

Then a few weeks later on the radio "Got a treat for everyone! Ya know that guy from STP and that guitarist from GnR? Well, they made a band, here's Velvet Revolver with 'Slither'".

With the exception of the lyrics it WAS that song I had been working on. A little different when you get to the chorus, but close enough for me to say "fuck it" and trash the whole thing. I should have kept trying... If I could come up with something so close to a song that made it so big, I might actually have a real hit somewhere in my head, know what I mean?

But that's beside the point. Don't give up, Gimp! Electronica can kick ass if you do it right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

A pizza truck crashed across from my dad's work where I was at for a bit to grab some stuff and talk to him. The guy was fine, the truck was completely broken down. We were then handed 4 boxes of random pizzas because the truck was going to go bad outside.

48 free pizzas :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Bogey wrote:
A pizza truck crashed across from my dad's work where I was at for a bit to grab some stuff and talk to him. The guy was fine, the truck was completely broken down. We were then handed 4 boxes of random pizzas because the truck was going to go bad outside.

48 free pizzas :coookieesssss:

Party at your place?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
gimp wrote:
Don't give up, Gimp! Electronica can kick ass if you do it right.

Right now it looks like I'm using a Moog for a lightly fuzzy verse bass and live drums, and using a beefed up clav bass (uhh think electro) on the chorus, for a sudden giant contrast (where the guitar is more distorted). we'll see how that goes. not too confident about my drum samples atm. i'll have a better idea once i have my harmony instrument. i'm going to play with dumping loads of effects on a piano.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

At my job we have these small BS "attaboy" type award to give out. There's a little pin and a card where you can write why you're giving them out. Well this afternoon I came into work and saw two for myself and the supervisor I closed with last night. The card was from the opening supervisor who explained that we had done such a good job closing it really made the morning run smoothly and she was grateful for our hard work.

Here's the thing, we didn't work hard last night. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and actually FORGOT to do this extra cleaning task I was supposed to do last night. I have this really weird feeling about this because on one hand, I got recognized and got a pin and people think I did a great ob. I have that warm fuzzy pat on the back feeling that's the whole point of these things. On the other hand, if my MEDIOCRE job warrents recognition for excellence...then I work with some really shitty workers.

:?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
At my job we have these small BS "attaboy" type award to give out. There's a little pin and a card where you can write why you're giving them out. Well this afternoon I came into work and saw two for myself and the supervisor I closed with last night. The card was from the opening supervisor who explained that we had done such a good job closing it really made the morning run smoothly and she was grateful for our hard work.

Here's the thing, we didn't work hard last night. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and actually FORGOT to do this extra cleaning task I was supposed to do last night. I have this really weird feeling about this because on one hand, I got recognized and got a pin and people think I did a great ob. I have that warm fuzzy pat on the back feeling that's the whole point of these things. On the other hand, if my MEDIOCRE job warrents recognition for excellence...then I work with some really shitty workers.

This is my daily work routine, except everyone just admits our 3rd shift does so little that the shift I'm on just has to be "better than worse" and we're fucking stars. The takeaway? While you need the job, that fucker is probably going to be there. :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:

When I worked at the food court in my college I consistently came in drunk, often over an hour late. I was told when I left that I was easily the best employee they ever had...

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:43 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Snifit wrote:

Remember when they gave Obama the Noble Peace Prize right when he got in office?

He didn't do shit yet, but they just handed it to him.

Maybe it's something like that. You didn't do shit, but if you get recognition for doing an outstanding job closing, you have to continue doing a good job closing up so that you don't tarnish your reputation as an excellent closer?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 pm 

Apparently someone was sick today and that's what it was all about. They were short staffed but got through everything because we didn't suck last night. So....yay us.

I get rewarded for competence.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Dude came to math class today in pajama bottoms riding a razor scooter.

The definition of Don't Give A Fuck. :cookieshmm:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Had an excellent laugh just now.

I was calling a client and transposed a couple of letters in her name. I called her Takira, when her name was actually Tarika. She didn't know who I was looking for, but figured it out after a few moments.

I hang up and say "oh, Tarika, Takira"

And the wife, without missing a beat declares "Jamacia, OOH I WANNA TAKE YA!"

I almost fell over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

watched a just over 1 year old boy have a seizure, stop breathing, turn completely blue, then start puking as I called 911 at 4am. Holy fuck, this was quite possibly the most frightening thing I've ever witnessed. Apparently, when children that young are getting sick and their temperature spike, they just have seizures every once in awhile. Blood tests and everything were nothing and it was just "Yeah, he got really hot so he had a seizure, stopped breathing, then his brain kicked back in and threw up. It's ok. Give him children's Tylenol and advil and keep cooling him down with a warm dish rag."

What the fuck? :cookieshmm: How come no one ever mentions the "kids just randomly can have seizures, it's a big deal, but not really" thing when they tell you about babies?

My body is now starting to shut down after that adrenaline rush and massive fear, five hours later, and I'm going to bed because I have to be at work in 3 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 am 

I've gotten a couple art requests through deviantart and they always kinda make me smile. On however small level it's nice to see people request your talent. So far every one has been polite and asked if I was taking requests then giving me their ideas. Well today I got this message. Please note, I have not taken the main part out of context. There is no additional part. This is the message in its entirety.

"can you do ufus (from gogo crazy bones) and he is in holoflux armor and here the image by the way: [link] (and also his armor is yellow) and have a epic fight off with lord vorselon (from ratchet & clank) and as of alex (from totally spies) she is gagged and tied up and in a sack or inside a sack and also the sack is all chained up and finaly she is in a the water filling tank that is fill up with water, and also the background will be inside lord vorselon ship and here the video what i am talking about : [link] can you do that of me plz, and here some images to help you out.

ufus: [link]
lord vorselon: [link]
alex: [link]"

On the one hand I am always looking to make connections and challenge myself and do different work. On the other hand...I kinda want to explain that I'm not really doing requests right now...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:02 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i'd wager it's a kid.
saying you're not doing them right now just invites him to ask again later.

you'd be better off saying that it's too complicated to fit something like that into your schedule. then say you'd so one of the characters, or maybe the two fighting. depends on your mood. but then explain that way you can still make other requests and not have to dedicate all of your time to one.

or. . . .just leave it at too complicated. depends if you want to leave him with a pat on the head or a 'bugger off'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

This is going to be very long, as I'm trying to put into words something I've been wanting to say for a long time. It's a question I get a lot as a Devils die hard... How did you come to be a fan?

Well... the greatest thing that I feel sets the NHL apart from any other major American sports league is the Stanley Cup. Sure every league has their own championship trophy. But this one is special. The NFL, MLB, and NBA all have a different trophy every year. A new one gets made and the winners stick it on a shelf somewhere. Not The Cup. Winners have their names engraved on it, each player spends a day with it, and it got back to the Hall of Fame to be awarded to the next champions. Long time Devils announcer Doc Emeric said it best when he said "these guys sacrifice so much for a ring that's too big to wear, and their names on a trophy they can't keep." There is so much incredible history in this trophy. It may be just a hunk of metal, but it's the same hunk of metal that all the greats proudly skated around the ice while celebrating victory. Players play for a chance to lift the exact same trophy that their lifelong idols lifted 10, 20, even 100 years ago. The sheer history of this trophy is overwhelming, for players and fans alike. That alone, in my opinion, makes it the greatest trophy in all of sports.

As you guys know, I'm a huge NJ Devils fan. My brother is a big NY Rangers fan. These two teams have one of the biggest rivalries in the NHL. It all started when we got a Super Nintendo (late in that generation, I think Christmas 1994, only 2 years before N64...) and with it, a copy of NHL 95. Our dad, who is not that big into hockey, is also a Rangers fan whenever he is watching. When we were little, he took my brother to a game or two, so my brother became a Rangers fan as well. I was too young to stay out that late, I guess, so I never went. I had no allegiance. Then came that SNES and NHL 95 cart. My brother would insist that I play with him, and he always picked the Rangers. On top of being "his" team, this was the first game released after they won the Cup in '94 (their first in... 54 years? and to date, their last :twisted: ) I didn't know at the time, but the Rangers had also beaten the Devils in the Conference Finals to move on to the Stanley Cup Finals. My brother would never let me play on the same team as him and always insisted that I play against him. But, he would also never let me pick the Rangers as well. So, while cycling through the teams, I decided to be what I considered the REAL home team, and picked New Jersey. He was 12 at this point, and I was 6, so needless to say he always kicked my ass. But nevertheless, that was the beginning of my NJ Devils fandom, which I am sure will last me the rest of my life.

While he always beat the crap out of me in game, the Devils did much better in real life and won the Stanley Cup that year. And then again in 2000. And then made the finals again but lost to the Colorado Avalanche in 2001. And then won again in 2003. I followed moderately during those years, cheering them on when I saw them on TV, and following a bit closer in the playoffs but never going out of my way to watch. I was a fan, but not quite a die hard. The playoffs in 2003 was when I really got hooked, and what a great year to really start watching. I vividly remember a hard fought series against Tampa Bay, witnessing live that if he really wanted to Scott Stevens could easily kill a man on the ice with a well timed body check (how Paul Kariya came back that game and scored a goal is still beyond me,) and most importantly, I got to watch, live for the first time in my life as it was happening just a few miles up the Turnpike, the Devils winning the Stanley Cup. I was hooked.

However, my newfound addiction was shortlived. A lockout in 2004-2005 cancelled an entire season and I lost interest for a couple seasons, still occasionally checking in on the standings and stuff, but not caring too much. Then Dfraz invited me to a game with his then-girlfriend during the 2007-2008 season (incidentally, a game against the Washington Capitals; the team that would draft a childhood friend of mine just a few short months later) and I fell back in love with the game. I started following it again. A little over a year later, in the early spring of 2009 a good friend of mine, John, passed away. While some of my friends regretfully turned to alcohol to cope, I started turning to hockey. I began following closer, and caring a little more than I had before. Also around this time, I was stabbed in the back by a former friend, which didn't help much with my mood that spring... This was the beginning of the time in my life where I really felt lost. I began pushing people away, perhaps out of some irrational fear of loss- death or just crumbling relationships. Perhaps "pushing people away" isn't the right way to put it... It wasn't an active thing. I just started to grow indifferent to a lot of the relationships of people around me. Whatever you wan't to call it, it wasn't intentional. I didn't even notice it at the time, but I just started to feel.... Empty.

That fall, Dfraz and I were roommates when we transferred from county college to a 4 year school. Both having grown up moderate Devils fans, we were both rediscovering the sport at the same time. Our dorm didn't have get any channels that broadcast NHL games, so we resorted to finding live streams wherever we could online and hooking a laptop up to the tv. That spring (2010,) I lost both of my grandfathers about two months apart, and the anniversary of John's death fell right in the middle. I felt myself starting to go further into a sort of depression; one that I'm still not entirely the same from, but I've tried my best to hide it from everyone to varying degrees of success. I continued pushing everyone away, for the lack of a better word, though again, not actively. I just noticed that during this period, I wouldn't let anyone new get close, I felt myself starting to drift from even some of my oldest friends, and I wouldnt go out of my way to hang out with anyone I didn't really know. I had suddenly become much more introverted than I was in high school. It had been going on since John died, before transferring (GREAT way to meet new people at a new college, I know....) and this just magnified it. I hadn't made any really close friends at school (in fact, the only ones I'd consider friends at all outside of my field of study, I got to know most by playing in an intramural floor hockey league... We sucked...) but I was living with one of my closest friends who also happened to be a fan of the same hockey team. I latched on to hockey even more during this time and immediately felt better whenever it was on. I guess it kind of became a coping mechanism. For a few hours a night, on a handful of nights a week, win or lose, everything felt alright. While the prolonged depression carried over into my senior year of college, my passion for this sport, this team, only seemed to grow, despite that season being one of the biggest disappointments in franchise history. They lost damn near every game and sat in dead last, well behind 29th place at the midpoint of the season. With a new coach for the second half, they went on a tear, destroying nearly every team they came across, rallying the fans behind them as they attempted the greatest comeback in the history of the sport. Unfortunately, they fell just three wins shy of making the playoffs only a few short months after sitting, practically cemented, in dead last. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if it is because I invested so much energy in the sport when I used it as an escape, but their climb out of the basement floor of the standings coincided with me 2+ year long depression finally starting to improve.

Near the end of that '10-'11 season, I got a call from the arena, asking if I'd be interested in season tickets. I said I'd think about it and call back. I knew I didn't have the money, so I immediately called my parents. I asked if I could either borrow the money, or get the tickets as a birthday/graduation present. They agreed. So then I immediately called Dennis and told him the information I had gotten about pricing and seating and all that. We bought a pair of season tickets together. A few days later we both received a call informing us that the Devils organization were looking to start a supporter section, for fans who were willing to stand and cheer the entire game and try to bring more energy into the building (Devils games are notoriously quiet compared to many other teams in the league) and we jumped at the opportunity. Two seasons later and we are both big parts of this group, The Section 122 Diablos, and the group has a lot in store for the future. It has gotten to a point where if I miss a home game for whatever reason, the next game there will be at least one person I've never met before in my life coming up to me and asking where I was the other night. I even started playing hockey (on foot because I can't skate for my life) with a few friends, although not nearly as often as I'd like. But, with every game I attend and every minute I play, that lingering depression that I said has never fully left gets chipped away at little by little. It may never fully disappear, but the more involved I get, the better I feel. I'm sure that if there ever comes a day where I can honestly say that I feel everything is completely back to normal, hockey will still be there.

So there it is. The reason I can never give a simple answer when asked how I became a fan or why it means so much to me. Ice hockey and the Devils have had such a large impact on my life that I can honestly say that it goes beyond simply cheering on a sports franchise. It provided something for me to lean on when I needed it most, in a time when for some ungodly reason I refused to let that job fall upon family and friends. It's been an outlet for any negative emotion I've had for about 4 years now. Without it, I have no idea what kind of person I'd be. What would have happened if I hadn't turned to hockey for relief when I wasn't letting anyone in? Would I have spiraled? Would what I consider to be a long, minor depression turned into a long major depression? Who knows?

WAAAY TL;DR- The Devils are more than a team to me. Hockey is more than a game to me. It was my ladder out of a hole when I needed one most, and or that reason, it is, to an extent, always linked in my mind to the memories of those I've lost. It's also one of my earlier memories of spending time with my brother when I was 6, sitting on the floor in front of the SNES, even if I lost all the time, and even if he inadvertently drove me to become a fan of one of his team's biggest rivals.... His interest seems to have grown just as much as mine, as it is one of the biggest common grounds we have today, nearly two decades later. Nineteen years ago, having no clue how much it would affect my life, we used to sit around fighting over a little 16-Bit Stanley Cup. So with all that hockey and the Devils mean to me, we couldn't miss the opportunity for this photo op.

pictures with the Stanley Cup, with the person that sparked my interest in hockey when I was six

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

While some of the differences in overall life moments are different, I get it dude. Glad you found something like that to make you feel better and a safe place to be at when things got rough. I have/had the same thing with pro wrestling. Shit was always there for me even when times in life got super hard. It attached to me for that.

Also, that is awesome taking the picture with the cup. I'm not a big hockey person or anything but I'd love to take a picture with that thing. It is huge. And I got to learn something today. I knew there was only one cup. I also knew that each player got to keep it for a single day if their team won it. But I thought the cup stayed in the winning team's league office until the playoffs started/the finals of the playoffs started. After each player gets it does it really go back to the NHL Headquarters?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
After each player gets it does it really go back to the NHL Headquarters?

It's on display in the Hall of Fame in Toronto. It's basically a hockey museum. I'm not entirely sure at what point it leaves the team's possession and goes back though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next