neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:12 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I think we've tried this before, but I know a lot of us are avid readers and like to discuss books. We've got a movie/TV thread, so, why not talk about some good books.

I just recently started up Clockwork Orange for the...4th time? I really like that story, and I'm catching new bits and pieces of awesomeness this time around.

So, what's everyone else reading? Have a favorite author we should know about? Favorite book? Got a good book that's being turned into a movie that you think we should read before we go see it in theaters?

Sky's the limit, folks. :drmario:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:23 pm 
Resident Poet Laureate

I think my favorite set of books are the Ender's Game series. It fits that whole sci-fi morality exploration I enjoy. I hear they're making a movie for it. That could be interesting.

Let's see, I recently read Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. It's non-fiction, and some wild shit let me tell you. I haven't started anything new lately.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:43 pm 
Thwomp
Thwomp

Favorite Books: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller and Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

There are more I'd recommend but those are the ones that I remember being profoundly life altering. Clockwork Orange is pwn though. Do you have the American or British version? I read the British.

Currently I have to read some boring ass biographies on Carl Gauss, well I don't HAVE to read them I just hate researching stuff on the Interblag.

I have taken a liking to the Dresden Files, they're pedestrian, sometimes predictable, although for action-mystery books they still manage to suprise me a few times which is impressive because I'm pretty good at guessing the endings of most. There are alot of bad puns, subverted cliches/tropes and they range from 200-400 pages so I finish one a day when I have them.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

EVERYBODY READ WATCHMEN NOW BEFORE MARCH 6, 2009 ROLLS AROUND, OTHERWISE DIAF. SRSLY.

Also, V for Vendetta=MUCH better than the film.

Another one of my favorite books is becoming a movie shortly, directed by Peter Jackson last time I checked. "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Seabold (might be spelled wrong.) Not quite sure I agree with the casting as of right now, but who knows. Could be good. Very intriguing story about a girl who is raped and murdered, and is told from her point of view looking down from heaven at the aftermath of her murder and the effect it has on her friends and family.

I also picked up the Night Watch trilogy at Barnes and Noble because I liked the first two movies so far and decided to read the books. I have yet to start them, but after I read them I will go into some more specifics about how the Russian films compare to the (English translations of) the novels. From what I hear, there is one more book left in the series. But I may be wrong on that one.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:01 pm 
Resident Poet Laureate

I went out and bought Dune: The Machine Crusade. Shortly afterwards, I realized that I had three of the other prequels that I hadn't read yet :P

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:04 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

Right now I'm reading a book on the Spanish Civil War. Its called The Battle for Spain and its pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:20 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

@ExPostFacto: British Version. I didn't know there was a difference when I bought the book a few years back, but...Christ, that last chapter MAKES the book, I think. I mean. That'd be like the Lord of the Rings leaving out the whole part with Frodo and the Boat in the end, you know?

The movie for Clockwork Orange always pissed me off. It just seems like it completely misses the point. It focuses on the "wtf" and "lol, raep raep raep" more than the message that the book is supposed to give. I love Kubrick, but that movie was like "oooh, man, close but no cigar! So sorry!"

Also, Sojura, I never read any of the prequels to Dune, but I did read the original triology. Are the prequels worth looking into? It was my understanding that they weren't writen by the original author, but by his son or something....But maybe it's fitting that a series writen in the Dune universe should be transferred on to another generation. That's what the Sisterhood focuses on, afterall, right? Experiments and studies that lasted for generations after generations. Hmmmm....

Oh, also also, for anyone who hasn't heard me yammer on about it already: Dark Tower. Read it, get the audio book, inject it directly into your bloodstream, just freakin go out and go through the series. It's totally pwn. :\m/:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:33 am 
Resident Poet Laureate

The prequels are written by Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson. I have not read enough to determine their quality, but most are best-sellers, so I can hope for something decent.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:18 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

The new Matt Ruff, Bad Monkeys. Short and sweet. Now The Echo Maker by Richard Powers.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:36 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Soruja wrote:
The prequels are written by Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson. I have not read enough to determine their quality, but most are best-sellers, so I can hope for something decent.

Hmm. Have you read the original triology, too?

I'd be interested in if they live up to the original stories.

I had to end on God Emperor of Dune, because...man, it was getting a little too weird for me at that point. Great story, though. Dune Messiah is probably my favorite out of the first three books, though. I think that The Matrix plays a tribute to Paul. Might just be coincidence, but I totally saw a connection.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'd recommend everybody read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:48 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Finishing up Night Shift by SK. Then i'll consume Needful Things again since for whatever reason i only read that one once. THEN i think i might try and tackle Don Quixote again. I made it through the fisrt "book" but lost interest a few chapters into the second. The giant collected book thingy of it is HUGE! It's definitely an interesting read.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:39 pm 
Banned

I'm currently reading Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice and trying to finish the Vampire Chronicles.

I like the Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy. Took me awhile to read it.

I'm hoping to get my hands on this trilogy about a native american woman by Linda Lay Shuler but it's hard to find it. I've read the first two but I can't find the third one ever. I saw them all at the library here but I was already reading something and I haven't gone back since.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:13 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Alistair Reynolds - Revelation Space

Hard Sci-Fi with a plotline somewhat similar to Mass Effect. Picked it up at Elliott Bay Book Co, 1 block from my home, for like $2. It's one of America's greatest bookstores --- they have thousands of books with little hand-written notes underneath with peoples' opinions on it. An amazing place. You can see some of the notes in this photo:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

got into a big chuck hit lately

books:
Choke
Fight Club
Survivor
Lullaby
Haunted

and Snuff comes out on Tuesday...cant wait

Manga:
Full Metal Alchemist (up to book 6)
Death Note (up to book 5)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:00 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Oh, hey, did you hear they're making a movie out of Choke? I think it's staring Sam Rockwell, the guy who played Zaphod Beeblebrox in the new Hitchhiker's Movie that came out a few years ago.

Should be a good movie...but since a lot of the book is about him being a sexaholic, I think it's gonna get some serious cuts to it.

Like The scene where he stages a fake rape because it's this one lady's fantasy, and she's bossing him around and telling him not to cum on her sheets because they're expensive, so he's like "fuck this" and he shoots his load all over her bed and is like "Later! lulz" And...Well, shit, the whole part with the Anal Beads. That's kinda important to the story, I think.

Granted they can probably find ways to do the scenes I'm thinking of tastefully without having to graphically show them. The movie will have to be R, though.

I always like Palahniuk's book Survivor. The way the page numbering goes backwards from the mid-300s to 1, it just fits in with the book's kinda basic theme, and it just adds a sort of frantic element to it all, I think.

I'd love to see a movie version of Lullaby or Invisible Monster. I really enjoyed Lullaby...but...seeing as how it's about a song that hearing it kills you, it seems like a movie version of it would be a disaster. :lol: "Box office smash! No survivors!" :lol: I mean...I don't know how they'd even convey the song in the movie and suspend my disbelief about it. Still be a cool movie if they could pull it off though.

Oh, wow, wall of text. Make a fortitude save vs. crushing, everyone. :lol:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

I really, really, really, really hate "Chuck's" stories.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I also read Pride of Baghdad a few days ago. Really awesome short graphic novel, not really like anything else.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:10 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Fallout wrote:
I really, really, really, really hate "Chuck's" stories.

I get where your coming from. Basically all his stories have the same underlying plot, are kind of predictable, and feature very similar characters...But at the same time, I still like them as something to read sometimes. Granted I don't really like his newer books as much. Haunted was just kind of fail. He also does in every single book, the "start in the middle of the story, go back to the begining" style naration. Which, yea, that's cool, it worked for Fight Club...but, he really needs to throw in a different pattern everyonce in awhile.

So, yea, not the best author, but...I still kinda like his stuff sometimes if I'm in the mood for it.

I need to pick up something new to read soon. Thinking maybe "I am America and So Can You." I've heard it's really funny.

Any suggestions on what to read though? I heard Watchmen mentioned earlier. What genre is that story?

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:10 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

as for choke the movie the screenplay writer was quoted as saying "i got writers block half-way through and threw the book in the drawer...then went my own way with it".

so apparently its only gonna be loosely based on Chuck's book. but chuck gave it a thumbs up....so heres hoping.

=-=-=-

as for his new book snuff (which I must go grab today :D) its basically the worlds biggest train talked about from the perspective of smoe of the people in it

like the first dude, then the sixth, then the 17th, and so on and so on until you get the last guys perspective

fuck to me thats badass.

also....I think some of the stories in Haunted are hilarious. and I love Choke...it be awesome

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm reading Marvel Zombies! ... No wait... wrong thread. :mrgreen:

Actually, I need to start reading Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov.
Tis a good read. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
I heard Watchmen mentioned earlier. What genre is that story?

a little bit Graphic novel and a little bit Awesome.

Seriously though, it's a bit of a whodunit mystery from the beginning, with loads of characters and plot development and some very philisophical parts too. Dr. Manhattan's chapter about time is one of my favorite things ever written. BUY IT NOW.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:54 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
I heard Watchmen mentioned earlier. What genre is that story?

a little bit Graphic novel and a little bit Awesome.

Seriously though, it's a bit of a whodunit mystery from the beginning, with loads of characters and plot development and some very philisophical parts too. Dr. Manhattan's chapter about time is one of my favorite things ever written. BUY IT NOW.

YOU MUST BUY IT NOW IT IS AMAZING NO THINKING JUST BUY! NOW! *forces Nameless*

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I'll have to pick it up after I finish Clockwork Orange again. Cuz you guys ussually point me in the right direction with good books to read. Case in point: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I wouldn't have known about it unless I heard it mentioned on the forums here a few years ago.

So, Watchmen it is, then. Who's the author of it?

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:59 pm 
Thwomp
Thwomp

Nameless88 wrote:
I'll have to pick it up after I finish Clockwork Orange again. Cuz you guys ussually point me in the right direction with good books to read. Case in point: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I wouldn't have known about it unless I heard it mentioned on the forums here a few years ago.

So, Watchmen it is, then. Who's the author of it?

Alan Moore

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next