neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Cooking Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:46 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I guess I don't mind if this thread is re-purposed to include deep fried bacon-wrapped bacon and foods that look like other foods and so on, but for the mean time:

Let's post the recipes we cook the most/find the most useful at home!

We cook 2 meals a day at my house, and we use the same basic stock of ingredients, and try to eat as varied and delicious a diet as possible. Most of my recipes are based on traditional flavourings for ingredients, and I've substituted seasonal, uncommon and expensive ingredients in a lot of cases.

Hamburgers
I don't like using mince meat much, but I make a mean hamburger for about $3 a serve. If you're using 'regular' mince, or some other euphemism for fat, squish the fat out of them when they're cooking with a spatula (turner??), and soak up all the excess grease with kitchen paper before serving.
These are actually Jamie Oliver's Elvis Burgers.1kg of meat stretches to about 7 burgers. For lunch today I'm making two giant patties from 500g. I dunno what you're measurements are like, so here I go with 1 kg. I have added diced bacon to this mixture when short of beef and it worked very well.

Finely chop 1 chilli and half an onion - the smaller, the more likely it will stay in the patty. Through it in a bowl with your meat. Add;
a good pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of mustard (Dijon)
2 tablespoons of Parmesan
a handful of breadcrumbs - this greatly contributes to the 'hamburger' taste
1 mixed egg - sticks it all together
A good amount of a fresh green herb. Tarragon rocks, but I don't have it much. Wild Rosemary grows near my house, and that is great - otherwise I just go for good old reliable Basil. If you only have dried herbs, I suggest Thyme or Rosemary.

Mix it all up by squishing it up with your clean hands. Pound it all down in the bowl so it's firm and stuck together, then use a knife to divide it into equal portions. Mould some fat round discs, then put them on a plate evenly spaced in the fridge for at least 20mins-1hour. This keeps the mixture together.
Get your pan or grill nice and hot, season generously with salt and pepper and then cook them evenly spaced apart for about 12 minutes, turning every minute. Serve on a toasted bun - add whatever you normally have, but I make massive ones and just have it with a bit of BBQ sauce. Sensational.

Blood Orange Chicken
Normally I marinate chicken breasts in lemon juice w/ Oregano. I was given a couple of bags of Blood Oranges and decided to put them to good use. Season your chicken breasts and fry them. De-glaze your pan with olive oil and sauté 2 garlic clove halves per portion. Add the juice of an orange per chicken breast, and an equal amount of chicken stock, as well as some thyme. Reduce the sauce on high heat, then fish out the garlic and thyme. You should be left with a sticky, red glaze. Yum with mashed potato.

Honey Mustard Chicken
I whipped up this quick bastardization of an asian stir-fry the other day that is a keeper. Cook your chicken and some garlic, then mix equal parts honey and mustard (wholegrain or Dijon) (about 1/4 cup of each per person) with a splash of soy sauce. Serve on rice with fresh coriander. I threw in some basil, string beans, and thinly sliced capsicum and carrot.

Fried Rice
Quite easy, really, just throw in a colourful mix of vegies. I use capsicum, peas, chili, carrot, corn and spring onions, and chicken and bacon marinated in soy sauce which I cook while the rice (basmati) is cooking. For the omellete bits, crack and egg into the wok and mix it up before cooking the vegies. For an authentic flavour, use lots of Sesame Oil, ginger, soy sauce and chili. Coriander and peanuts are good for a twist.

Pastas!
Carbonara serves two
The most basic version of this sauce is simply butter, parmesan and the water the pasta is cooked in.
While your pasta is cooking (fettuccine);
Gently sauté (don't let the butter brown) a clove of garlic, a little bit of onion and bacon in butter. Add a handful of grated parmesan and stir in cream until combined. Add a lump of butter to finish the sauce.
When your pasta is cooked, through it in the sauce along with a few tablespoons of the pasta water - the starch from the pasta thickens the sauce. Mix in 1 or 2 egg yolks and season with salt and pepper. Very filling! Great with chicken and a bit of lemon juice.

Bolognaise
This will take a long time - Soffritto and vegetarian version, mince beef (and pork) version, and my normal, fantastical Beef w/ Red Wine Ragout.

Sweets
Ganache
A ganache is the standard chocolate sauce - with less cream it sets hard in the fridge in a few hours. Use 70% cocoa solids or more dark chocolate.
THIRD CUP CREAM + 1/4 CUP CHOCOLATE + dash of salt + sugar to taste

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

Post subject: Re: Home Cooking Recipes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I demand that Fallout repost the Godburger recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:29 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:1up:
illblamesum1else wrote:

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:00 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i want to add this to my arsenal http://www.masterchef.com.au/crepe-suzette.htm

flambé!

i'll be making beef shin ragout tomorrow, so ill write down the recipe as i go

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:10 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Blackman! wrote:
:1up:
illblamesum1else wrote:

Umm, shit, let's see.

If I remember correctly:
white zinfindel
sundried tomatoes
red onions
bread crumbs
basil
ground sirloin

Mix em all in a bowl together until it looks right (not too runny from the wine), grill them, and then serve with sourdough buns and swiss cheese.

I don't think he had any actual written down recipe, but we've tried recreating them several times over the last year or so, and that's always what we did, and they always came out tasty. Maybe not *as* tasty as his, but, close enough. :awesome:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

gimp wrote:
Bolognaise
This will take a long time - Soffritto and vegetarian version, mince beef (and pork) version, and my normal, fantastical Beef w/ Red Wine Ragout.

So I have it on the stove right now (4 hours to go!)
Soffritto:
(celery not pictured)

cinnamon
crush and dice garlic
dice; onions
chili
capsicum

grate; apple
carrot
zucchini
celery

Throw the whole lot in your pot, drench in olive oil, add some Brown Sugar and a splash of Balsamic Vinegar and fry/sweat until caramelised.

The rest
(red wine and bacon not pictured)

If you just throw some tins of tomato, or a jar of passata, or a generic tomato sauce, or fresh tomatoes and tomato paste, and your herbs, you've finished your vegetarian pasta. If using mince meat, add your cooked meat, cover and simmer for 20mins at least then serve. Put your wine in now, if you're using it. I prefer red, but white is just as good for beef and pork. Add a splash of vinegar to complement the wine (balsamic for red, white for white).

I threw in 4 tins of diced tomatoes since I have no wine, then lots of dried Oregano, Basil and Bay leaves, and some Rosemary and Thyme. Since I'm cooking for around 5 hours (the shin takes at least 3), I won't be adding fresh herbs until the sauce is nearly finished.
I left that to reduce, and generously seasoned the Beef Shin with Salt and Pepper, and a pinch of Nutmeg before dropping it in the pot and covering it.
Dice Bacon. Add Sage and a pinch of Nutmeg, then drop it in the pot.

Normally I would use about 2 kg of beef shin for that much Soffritto, I'm entertaining on the cheap tonight.

A note on pig-meat:
Bacon is cheap and tasty, so usually ends up in large quantities in my pasta. My old mince-meat recipe called for pork and veal mince, with a 3:2 cow to pig ratio. My personal favourite is to use as much Prosciutto/Pancetta as I can get away with.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:53 pm 
KSK Mastermind