neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://comics.ign.com/articles/121/1217662p1.html

I'm cautiously in the middle on the idea of this. I'll probably end up getting all of Ozymandias...or probably the whole damn thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

what made the watchmen good had nothing to do with them being super heroes. this makes me facepalm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

S1eepy wrote:
what made the watchmen good had nothing to do with them being super heroes. this makes me facepalm.

I respectfully disagree. What made the Watchmen good was that they were superheroes with serious issues. Nit Owl isn't a good character because he's a Blue Beetle pastiche. He's a good character because he's a Blue Beetle pastiche with self doubt depression, and a dependance on an alter ego to feel adequate.

That being said, this is a horrible idea. All it is is blatant pandering to the idiots who dress up like Dark Knight Joker and will buy up anything Rorschach related.

Now they could be amazing stories with amazing artwork (love Adam Hughes, Darwyn Cooke, AND Amanda Conner) but even if they do expand and improve the universe of characters, they will still be unnecessary.

I hope I'm wrong but all I see is this:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Snifit wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

I respectfully disagree. What made the Watchmen good was that they were superheroes with serious issues. Nit Owl isn't a good character because he's a Blue Beetle pastiche. He's a good character because he's a Blue Beetle pastiche with self doubt depression, and a dependance on an alter ego to feel adequate.

That being said, this is a horrible idea. All it is is blatant pandering to the idiots who dress up like Dark Knight Joker and will buy up anything Rorschach related.

Now they could be amazing stories with amazing artwork (love Adam Hughes, Darwyn Cooke, AND Amanda Conner) but even if they do expand and improve the universe of characters, they will still be unnecessary.

If you want to get REALLY technical, none of them were really SUPER heroes except Dr. Manhattan. But then by that argument we can easily disqualify Batman and Ironman too, but I digress.

I think Sleepy may be saying the same thing you're saying, Snifit, just worded differently. That it wasn't a traditional superhero story, and the reason it was good was because of the characters themselves. The fact that they were costumed crimefighters was almost secondary to that.

I'd still check this out, but I have pretty low expectations. Not expecting much out of this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

right, which in its self does not require the pretext of being a super hero to be relevant. you could have just as compelling characters that were, idk, firefighters or something. as i see it the superhero bit is to fit the characters with the fantastic situation unfolding. the characters themselves should be appropriately fantastic.

i'd argue that the characters being super heroes was more so people would pay attention to it. what makes the watchmen really stand out is that the protagonists all doubt the world they are trying to 'save' while the antagonist never doubts it for a moment. in their doubt we see a reflection of our own world.

Snifit wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:11 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I would totally read Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm 

The only one that really interests me at all is the Minutemen because I'm a sucker for old styled superheroes (Golden Age or Silver Age) and because it's Darwyn Cooke writing and drawing it. He's damn good at that style (read DC: The New Frontier) and the Minutemen always seemed to be in the back burner of Watchmen. I'll probably flip through the Silk Spectre one just because Amanda Conner does amazing pin-up style female heroes (her Power Girl is THE Power Girl, in my opinion)

Over all, I still think it's just more trying to milk something popular rather than find something new to explore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Snifit wrote:
Over all, I still think it's just more trying to milk something popular rather than find something new to explore.

I don't think you have to think that. That's exactly what's happening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Snifit wrote:

I don't think you have to think that. That's exactly what's happening.

But even still, it could end up being worth the time. Unnecessary, yes, but that doesn't automatically mean bad. I'm willing to give it all a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

If it was with the consent of Alan Moore, maybe it'll be worth it. But something tells me that since he isn't involved in any of the projects, this might just suck.

Then again, I did read the 6th Hitchhiker's Guide book that was writen after Douglas Adam's death, and I did enjoy it...it was kind of weird, because it was clearly not written by him, but it was written as an homage to him, so, it was still a good read.

Still, I dunno. I don't generally like sequels where the originals weren't really involved in it. It just feels weird to me, you know?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
If it was with the consent of Alan Moore, maybe it'll be worth it. But something tells me that since he isn't involved in any of the projects, this might just suck.

Then again, I did read the 6th Hitchhiker's Guide book that was writen after Douglas Adam's death, and I did enjoy it...it was kind of weird, because it was clearly not written by him, but it was written as an homage to him, so, it was still a good read.

Still, I dunno. I don't generally like sequels where the originals weren't really involved in it. It just feels weird to me, you know?

I can see that, but I wouldn't pass judgement based on Alan Moore's reaction. Sure, he's the original creator, but he's also batshit insane.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

interesting take

http://comics.ign.com/articles/121/1217692p1.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm 

I agree with his point in theory. The thing is, Watchmen was created to be a sole story and not the serialized continued saga like other comics. While he's right, that the characters are owned by DC and they can continue to do whatever they want with them, the story of Watchmen was a single story to be told and it was told.

This isn't so much a case of "Geoff Johns is writing Green Lantern? But he's not John Broome!" as it is Alexandra Ripley writing Scarlett

EDIT- Wow, that's two obscure references in one post. Yay me?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I can see that, but I wouldn't pass judgement based on Alan Moore's reaction. Sure, he's the original creator, but he's also batshit insane.

Everyone says that about Moore and honestly I think it's unfair. He's way out there, but "insane" means something very different from that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Alan Moore is a ponce and he along with his pretentious fanboys can eat a dick, JMS, Cooke, and fucking Azzarello? This is p much confirmed for being awesome, regardless of what franchise its tied to. Watchmen is overrated anyway.

Snifit wrote:
Geoff Johns

Green Lantern

obscure

I'll give you the other one but

what

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I've always seen Watchmen as an alternative to superhero comics, in the vein of the adult graphic novel (Rorschach is almost straight out of hard-boiled film noir). That they're superhero's is imperative to the story IMO. A prequel/sequel though? Why?

This reminds me that I need to get Akira.

Edit: well what do you know http://www.mangareader.net/101/akira.html

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am 

TheBatman wrote:
Alan Moore is a ponce and he along with his pretentious fanboys can eat a dick, JMS, Cooke, and fucking Azzarello? This is p much confirmed for being awesome, regardless of what franchise its tied to. Watchmen is overrated anyway.

Snifit wrote:
Geoff Johns

Green Lantern

obscure

I'll give you the other one but

what

Snifit wrote:
"Geoff Johns is writing Green Lantern? But he's not John Broome!"

And yeah, I have a weird love/hate relationship with Alan Moore. On one hand he writes great stuff. On another, he needs to tone it down a bit.

And Nameless, those are fucking awesome. :\m/:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

How did I miss that, what the hell

You edited that in later to make me look like a fool didn't you

He doesn't need to just tone it down, he needs to shut the hell up and suck Grant Morrison's cock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 pm 

No I only added the comment about obscure references. Why would I make a big deal about a GL writer and NOT bring up Broome? Especially considering that argument is what the article posted was referring to.

And as much as Moore needs to tone it down...he created Mogo. I can't hate him because of that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Can you guys actually name a specific example of him "being a cock" or "needing to tone it down"? Because I honestly have never been sure where all this hate comes from; "pretentious" has always struck me as an overused, rarely backed-up critique.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:06 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
"pretentious" has always struck me as an overused, rarely backed-up critique.

i know right?

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 am 

He just rarely makes a statement about anything without saying how the comics industry, movie industry, government, or nearly anything isn't devolved, pathetic, and useless. I understand that's his viewpoint and he has every right to express it but the man writes comic books for a living. Anyone who gets to live by creating art should be thankful they get to live by creating art.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Can you guys actually name a specific example of him "being a cock" or "needing to tone it down"? Because I honestly have never been sure where all this hate comes from; "pretentious" has always struck me as an overused, rarely backed-up critique.

Try reading an interview with him

WHY SHOULD WATCHMEN HAVE A SEQUEL, MOBY DICK DIDN'T GET A SEQUEL

You write comic books you fucking ahsdnalfnoieanoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

Try reading an interview with him

WHY SHOULD WATCHMEN HAVE A SEQUEL, MOBY DICK DIDN'T GET A SEQUEL

You write comic books you fucking ahsdnalfnoieanoi

Nothing will ever top the 1966 Batman movie.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

I don't see what that has to do with that post but yeah that movie was pretty rad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next