neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I think Alan Scott is my favorite Green Lantern. This is kinda cool news. Still think DC's whole reboot is dumb, but more diversity is cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

it seems a little forced to me. its a hot political issue right now; lots of companies are throwing in their two cents.

idk. i don't have any fundamental problems with gay people, but to a lot of them being gay seems to mean wearing $300 pairs of underwear, being as attention hungry as possible, and drinking ridiculously expensive bottled water like Evian (naive). i would say i'd like these people to shut up and go eat a dick, but, you know.

i've met exceptions who are just people doing their thing. i've had gay friends. but the flamboyant sort, they're ruining the image of the gay individual. gay pride seems just as stupid as white pride. anything pride never ends anywhere good. if the LGT community wants their right to marriage they should be focusing on being a part of their community and not parading around the streets oiled up and spedo clad. they are alienating themselves by doing so. damaging their own chances at equal rights. showing the public they want to be treated like freaks by, for all intensive purposes, acting so far away from the norm to be viewed as freaks. its like black people who constantly play the race card. feeling discriminated against empowers them; they want to feel that their actions are justified by wallowing in anguish. the behavior is not unlike many addicts.

playing the victim only creates more victims; never victors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:38 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

can it, honky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:54 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

all i'm saying is that the reasons the LGT community is having problems are the same reasons why the public never accepted the hippies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:03 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

If you watch (or read about) a gay pride parade on the news you're gonna see nothing but oiled up speedo clad weridos. You go to an actual parade, it's like a Thanksgiving or St. Patrick's Day Parade, mostly boring floats and crap with flurries of the weirdos. The flamboyant, $300 underwear, vintage perrier drinking, attention whore homosexuals are actually the exceptions. Most gay people I know are normal, I've only met one "eccentric" gay guy in my life, he hasn't come out the closet yet, but it's so obvious that he's gay. He also happens to be my adopted uncle (who's younger than me) but that's a different story.

While I agree with you 100% that playing the victim only creates more victims (and when this happens everyone loses), I don't agree that gay people as a whole, or even as a majority are acting like freaks. It's just the very few that the news and media play up like crazy to turn up ratings (and to push their agenda but that's a whole different subject).

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:45 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

every gay guy i went to highschool with (that was out of the closet at the time) was mega flamboyant.
sister had a gay friend for a while. . . until he got her setup (guess he hung out with snitches) and sent to jail for a year and a half.
dude is now a play thing for some old dude a few states away after having a short run as a prostitute.

it wasn't really until college that i'd seen that not every gay person acted like such a fag all the time.
with the picture i'd been viewing: i could never understand why being into dudes made these people act like such idiots.

though later it dawned on me just how stupid people in general tend to be.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

S1eepy wrote:
with the picture i'd been viewing: i could never understand why being into dudes made these people act like such idiots.

Maybe it's just something about loving penises that make a lot of people stupid. Not necessarily men liking wangs, but women as well. There seems to be a disturbing shortage of intelligent women in these parts (JERSEY SHORE WANNABES EVERYWHERE :facepalm: ) That's not to say there aren't "normal" homosexuals or straight women, but around here they do seem to be outnumbered by the crazy.

I shall coin a new term for this. These people have gone "dickmad."

It sucks for a few of my friends who are gay, because they're the kind of people that you wouldn't know were gay unless they told you, and none of them are into flamboyant or effeminate men. They're into the kind of guys that they themselves are, where their sexuality isn't blatantly LOOK-AT-ME-RAINBOWS-EVERYWHERE advertised. and there's really no way of going out and meeting anyone for them. Going to a gay bar will have them surrounded by the dickmad because that's all that inhabits those places, and other than that there's no way of knowing who's gay and whose not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:23 am 
KSK Mastermind

i still dont get why this is even a political topic. thats why i fucking hate politics. WHO THE FUCK CARES WHO IS SHOOTING CUM DOWN YOUR THROAT?! How about we worry about economy, healthcare, and whether or not we are gonna get fucked by nukes/EMP weapons?

This whole gay marriage thing shouldn't ever even be a topic for political debate. Sure, the churches can stew about it and protest or whatever, but as for being part of our country's political equation... NEVER!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 am 

Taking a walk around Uptown or any other neighborhood in Chicago with a big gay population shows a lot of regular looking, though mostly thin, dudes who want to hold hands and spend time with their boyfriends. There are few really out there "OMG I SOOOOO GAY LULZ!!" types, but a lot of rainbow flags in buildings. Just like there's a lot of Mexican flags in my neighborhood. I'd say most gay people in Chicago are just gay.

Unless you go to Boystown. The "gay neighborhood" has all the flaming queens. And most of the gay people I know fucking HATE Boystown for that reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
every gay guy i went to highschool with (that was out of the closet at the time) was mega flamboyant.
sister had a gay friend for a while. . . until he got her setup (guess he hung out with snitches) and sent to jail for a year and a half.
dude is now a play thing for some old dude a few states away after having a short run as a prostitute.

it wasn't really until college that i'd seen that not every gay person acted like such a fag all the time.

High School: Everyone acts like an exaggerated stereotype of what they are. Well, not everyone, but...you get the idea.

It's also not really cool, or logical, that you're basing this on entirely anecdotal evidence. The fact of that matter is, ten percent of people are gay. Perhaps one or two percent of people are flamboyantly flaming homosexuals.

There's also a really good reason why certain individuals in oppressed demographics do behave in a very "in-your-face", exaggerated sort of way. Homosexuality is, if not expressed fairly openly, largely an invisible demographic. It's very easy to just pretend gay people don't exist, which is indeed what western civilization has done basically since the fall of the Roman empire. That's not tolerance or equality; not being openly oppressed because you're "passing" as something else is not sufficient. The reason why some gay people project their gayness in a noticeable way when they could easily speak and behave in a manner that does not come across as gay is because they WANT to make people uncomfortable, they want to be noticed, and in doing so drive home the fact that gay people are out there and not afraid to be seen as what they are. That's more or less how it's been explained to me from the gay dudes I know, anyway. I imagine some gay people have different reasoning or opinions on the issue.

That said, yeah, some of the behavior you're describing is obnoxious and unproductive and just serves to reduce gay people to an absurd stereotype. There's a difference between being larger than life for the sake of driving a point home and actually becoming caricature of what you're trying to represent. Most gay guys I know are even more annoyed by that sort of person than I am, PARTICULARLY because a lot of the time those guys aren't even necessarily gay, they just like the image of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

itt a bunch of whitebread nerds talking about how gay people should conduct themselves

illblamesum1else wrote:
Maybe it's just something about loving penises that make a lot of people stupid. Not necessarily men liking wangs, but women as well. There seems to be a disturbing shortage of intelligent women in these parts (JERSEY SHORE WANNABES EVERYWHERE :facepalm: ) That's not to say there aren't "normal" homosexuals or straight women, but around here they do seem to be outnumbered by the crazy.

Holy shit what's wrong with you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I think people should conduct themselves however the hell they want, but I certainly see why most gay guys I know get annoyed by the flamboyant, over-the-top shenanigans the media likes to pretend portray "gay culture", for the same reason I get annoyed any time a demographic I belong to is overly generalized or exaggerated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:22 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
itt a bunch of whitebread nerds talking about how gay people should conduct themselves

illblamesum1else wrote:

if you're talking about the use of the quotation marks I just mean that I find the use of the word "normal" to be extremely relative. In hindsight, given the context it's in, that does look to come across as implying homosexuality isn't right.... not my intention at all and didn't even think about it that way when posting it.

As for the rest of the comment, it was mostly joking. We all know there's equal amounts of crazy no matter what demographic. I just felt like the conversation was getting a little too serious for "Hey, Green Lantern's gay now." Seriously, any post where I use a word like "dickmad" should not be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:58 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I just read the first issue of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, I thought it was pretty great, looking forward to the rest, especially after how that issue ended.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Neon Jackal wrote:
I just read the first issue of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, I thought it was pretty great, looking forward to the rest, especially after how that issue ended.

I've never heard of this, but by title alone I really need to read it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Neon Jackal wrote:

I've never heard of this, but by title alone I really need to read it.

+1

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:02 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

wat
TheBatman wrote:

+1

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Entered this thread expecting to see comic book/graphic novel recommendations. Instead I found a critique on gay culture in America.

I'm just getting into comics and such -- read Watchmen in the past, just read The Dark Knight Returns, some Saga of the Swamp Thing, and some old Uncanny X-Men -- also ordered the complete Astonishing X-Men online. Where should I go next?

What the gay?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bubble Man wrote:
Entered this thread expecting to see comic book/graphic novel recommendations. Instead I found a critique on gay culture in America.

I'm just getting into comics and such -- read Watchmen in the past, just read The Dark Knight Returns, some Saga of the Swamp Thing, and some old Uncanny X-Men -- also ordered the complete Astonishing X-Men online. Where should I go next?

If you like fantasy/metafictional stuff, Sandman is a great choice. Hellboy is a lot of fun. Oh, and Y: The Last Man is fucking great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:

Walking Dead. Get all of it and read it asap. I don't know nearly enough people that are up to date on the comics.

I just read the first issue of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe the other day. It was pretty awesome. I will be reading issue 2 shortly.

I'm also currently reading Before Watchmen. I'm only 3 issues in, but it's not bad so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:02 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Space Punisher! It's Punisher, but in space.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:31 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I +1 The Walking Dead, it kinda lulls at the prison, but after that it's pretty fucking intense...

For a nice one shot try We3 and Wanted (completely different from the movie). Both are pretty short and damn good.

The TLDR of We3 is this: Disney's Homeward Bound with cybernetic killer pets. I'm dead serious.
I read that We3 was being made into a movie, I both love and hate that this is a possibility haha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 am 

A friend of mine gave me her whole comic collection. She's moving and needed to cut down on stuff. She was a huge Batgirl fan so it's mostly Bat-family stuff. There's a few odds and ends though.

Apparently Witchblade and Battle of the Planets did a crossover. I am interested in this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:02 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Bubble Man wrote:

You seem like you want to read the classic entry-level stuff so

Batman: Long Halloween

Batman: Year One

Ultimates/Ultimate Spider-Man/other Ultimate stuff if you dig that. Maybe start at All New Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

Frank Miller Daredevil

Sin City

V for Vendetta

All-Star Superman

Superman: Red Son

I read Whedon's first Astonishing X-Men arc after watching the Avengers and was pretty thoroughly disappointed. Don't really know my X-men much though.

If you like Ultimates and Red Son, another good Mark Millar book is Marvel 1985. Millar is a decent NEW TO COMICS guy with his franchise stuff. Avoid Kick-Ass though it's fucking dreadful. Also after you read Daredevil, Year One, and Sin City drop Frank Miller like a sack of bricks unless I'm forgetting something

Other writers I like that you should look out for are Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis and Dan Slott. Spider-Island in particular is great hollywoodesque modern Slott Spider-Man stuff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:28 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
Bubble Man wrote:

You seem like you want to read the classic entry-level stuff so

Batman: Long Halloween

Batman: Year One

Ultimates/Ultimate Spider-Man/other Ultimate stuff if you dig that. Maybe start at All New Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

Frank Miller Daredevil

Sin City

V for Vendetta

All-Star Superman

Superman: Red Son

I read Whedon's first Astonishing X-Men arc after watching the Avengers and was pretty thoroughly disappointed. Don't really know my X-men much though.

If you like Ultimates and Red Son, another good Mark Millar book is Marvel 1985. Millar is a decent NEW TO COMICS guy with his franchise stuff. Avoid Kick-Ass though it's fucking dreadful. Also after you read Daredevil, Year One, and Sin City drop Frank Miller like a sack of bricks unless I'm forgetting something
All noted. Thanks.

I read through the first half of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (the first two arcs) -- I think it's great so far. The dialogue between the X-Men is what holds it all together, looking forward to seeing where the story is going.
Other writers I like that you should look out for are Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis and Dan Slott. Spider-Island in particular is great hollywoodesque modern Slott Spider-Man stuff

[EDIT] - Did I initially not write anything here? How is that possible? ...I probably posted it in another thread.

Thanks for the list Bats. I'm really interested in great stories, so anything else you could recommend, that might not be obvious to a newcomer, would be much appreciated.

What the gay?

Last edited by Bubble Man on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next