neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sci-Fi or Fantasy?
Sci-Fi 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Fantasy 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Sci-Fi or Fantasy?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

My co-worker and I were having a discussion this past weekend. You can like both. That's perfectly fine. Which do you prefer. All-encompassing. Movies, tv, books, games, etc, etc. Where does your line stand?

I'm still not sure. I probably put Sci-Fi shows/movies in a better light than most fantasy (Sans GoT), but there are some really great fantasy films. The problem is the fantasy shows that are bad, are pretty bad. Sci-fi shows that are bad are pretty terrible, but there are more tolerable ok ones too.
Games, I'll take anything. I'm not sure.
Literature I don't think I've read as much fantasy or sci-fi. I just kind of read. I just read The Hobbit for the first time ever about 2 months ago. It was ok. I bought a few books in both genres and will run through them too.

Basically, I'm still not sure....But I think Sci-fi, maybe. You can re-vote in the poll if your mind changes over time too.

I was just wondering what other people thought.

Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi or Fantasy?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:02 pm 
Resident Poet Laureate

It was a difficult choice, having just finished an excellent fantasy series by R. Scott Bakker. After some thought, I chose science fiction. My reasoning is that there is more good science fiction out there than fantasy. When fantasy is good, it's extremely satisfying, but it's just so rare. I feel that science fiction offers greater diversity in terms of characters and storytelling, and evolves as a form as real science marches forward. Hell, we could even argue that there's a feedback loop, given the number of devices we have today that were first conceived in the minds of science fiction writers. Fantasy on the other hand gets mired in tropes more often, and it seems that most fantasy stories don't try to challenge the expectations of the genre. But like I said, the exceptions are, well, exceptional. I'm interested in hearing an opposing argument.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I enjoy both, but definitely prefer Sci-Fi over Fantasy,for several reasons.

Movies - Good fantasy movies are usually REALLY good, like the Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, or LOTR, where as BAD fantasy movies are really, REALLY bad (Twilight). Bad Sci-Fi movies are still watchable most of the time, even without the Riff Tracks. I haven't seen a Sci-Fi movie that was bad enough that I couldn't still make fun of it (I don't count Starship Troopers 2 in this category because that's not a movie, it's just a remix with recycled shots from the first one).

TV - I can't count the number of "good" Sci-Fi shows that I've seen. Eve the mediocre ones are still watchable as background noise. Fantasy, on the other hand, I can't even think of any bad ones off-hand because they were so bad I didn't watch past the first few episodes. There are, of course, the rare amazing ones like Game of Thrones, but that's hard to enjoy fully because of some of the fans.

Fans - I can talk to nearly any Sci-Fi fan about anything and hold a descent conversation, but the most hard-core Fantasy fans tend to bug the shit out of me. This may just be a small sampling out of people I know, but I'll give you a few examples.

The core of this forum and the people around there that I would actually call friends seem to greatly enjoy both, but no one's really a hard-core Fantasy fan. There are several people that I hang out with occasionally who think that Game of Thrones is the best thing to ever hit books or TV, but look down on trekkies. I find that these people are fucking dipshits, as people in general.

A few people I know come to mind, very particularly. They start a conversation about how much they love Game of Thrones and how sexy it is / how turned on they get, but then the discussion turns to church and how gays shouldn't get married, although they were just talking about how the two chicks with their titties hanging out on the TV were awesome in that lesbo scene. Then if someone mentions Star Trek or Star Wars in their vicinity, they snicker at you. Then they wonder why they haven't seen me in a few months....

It's cause you're a fuck-nut.

I also can't understand how people can be as big of fans of Twilight, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones at the same time and think they're all on the same level of awesome. My dads like that, for some reason. He's a fan of Sci-Fi and Fantasy both almost equally, yet he can't tell the difference between good and bad of either. He recently got caught up on Game of Thrones and loved it, he's a huge Harry Potter fan (owns his own wand and a robe, which he wears to Universal to visit Potter Land) but he also LOVES Twilight.

And I mean he REALLY fucking loves twilight. That whole side of the family does for some reason. He owns all the movies, the books, AND the books on CD.

Like, he got a wedding invitation from my aunt up north, saw the date, an instantly knew that it was actually a party for the premier of Twilight 4 PT1. He drove to Penn to go to the bridal shower for Bella. They had a fucking wedding cake. He printed his own t-shirt that say "Team Jacob? Team Edward? Screw that, I'm hot for Bella!". Every guy there wore that shirt, while all the girls wore their Team Jacob and Team Edward shirts. I'll also add that the average age at the party was around 60. Then, when part 2 came out, they had a baby shower, same deal as the bridal shower where they all went to the first showing together.

All that being said, I can't rag on him for getting really into what he loves. Hell, I own a light-saber and have a hallmark enterprise ornament signed by every main character from ST-TNG. What I don't like about it is that they can't admit that Twilight sucked. They won't even entertain the idea that the first movie was worse than the others and that the series got better (I actually hear that the 3rd book is readable and the second half of book 4 is worth reading the rest of the series to get to). Like, I really enjoy BAD sci-fi, but I KNOW that it's bad and I like it for being bad. X-files had some crummy episodes, and the pilot I couldn't get into at all, acting blows at first, whatever. Seven Days was mediocre through most of the series, original Star Trek had some damn near unwatchable episodes, Starship Troopers (original) was cheesy as shit, and Riddick really isn't that GOOD of a series, but I fucking love them all INCLUDING the bad stuff. Twilight fans, on the other hand, think those zombies are the best actors in the world and even dare to compare them to things like LOTR and Game of Thrones.

I just don't fucking get it.

Also, and Nameless will attest to this, we've played D&D with several people who were hard-core fantasy fans that we have never spoken to outside of said games. The D&D games actually provided a huge sample base of the lines between Sci-Fi and Fantasy fans.

Example - Guy I played with here in town. 8 of us in the game, 7 of us Sci-Fi fans, 1 guy a Fantasy fan. It should have been a warning sign when we were all watching Deep Space Nine (season 6, some of the best shit), and he was rolling his eyes the whole time. This guy was a shithead. He was a foot shorter than me, double my size (I was "Chris" he was "Double Chris") constantly complained that him being fat was anyone's fault but his own while he was stuffing down buckets of KFC (he would actually complain about the media making him fat WHILE eating family sized meals), lived in his grandparents basement and didn't pay rent at age 32 ( this was 10 years ago) and threatened to move out and stop talking to them when they asked him to help out around the house with chores. HE was also extremely homo-phobic and if you told too many dick jokes he would try to change the subject.

He was just the first in a long series of people like this who were self-proclaimed Fantasy Fans. Another guy we played with at Borderlands up in Jax gave himself a name out of an anime show although his real name was as Christian as they come and wouldn't answer to anything but that name. He thought he was the best cross-dressing cosplay artist the world had ever seen, but every time he approaches you just think "Fuck me, that's an ugly dude!" It's like he didn't even try. No make-up, didn't stuff the tube-top, pants were too tight and he didn't tuck, and he did NOTHING with his hair but bragged about how no one would know he was a dude. He also played a "Chaotic Stupid" aligned character and insisted that he collect squirrels to place on people's heads in the game. I tried to explain that there was no way his character would have even survived to the game's starting level with that kind of mentality, but he insisted that "Chaotic" meant "Crazy." We changed game location after a couple sessions and didn't tell him where to go.

There was a couple that we played with at a game in St. Aug that were intolerable, again self proclaimed Hard-Core Fantasy Fans. They just didn't understand common logic. The guy asked the whole D&D group to help him move one weekend (you know those awkward requests) and didn't understand why we all backed out after he told us that we had to do it before 2PM on a Monday so that his wife wouldn't know until she got home and all his stuff was gone. He wasn't even living there at the time, he had just gotten a hold of one of the keys.

Wow, this turned into a long rant.

To summarize - I like both, but can't stand a lot of Fantasy "fans."

tl;dr - D&D groups can be used to identify fuck tards.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:01 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I knew a guy who loved Sci-fi, we once casually discussed which was better, his answer was "Sci-fi because it's science", also this guy was an idiot, and annoying, and rude, and gross.

I think you are just unlucky with the people you know, Locrian.
I know a few fantasy fans and sci-fi fans, with almost equal amounts of smart, cool people and dumb, annoying people. I prefer fantasy myself though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:08 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Neon Jackal wrote:
I knew a guy who loved Sci-fi, we once casually discussed which was better, his answer was "Sci-fi because it's science", also this guy was an idiot, and annoying, and rude, and gross.

haha, actually, I know a few people who were like that. Well, KNEW a few people like that. I'm glad I don't hang out with most of the people I knew from high school anymore.

Neon Jackal wrote:
I think you are just unlucky with the people you know, Locrian.
I know a few fantasy fans and sci-fi fans, with almost equal amounts of smart, cool people and dumb, annoying people. I prefer fantasy myself though.

This is entirely possible. A lot of the people I know here in town fit a very particular shade of dumb. One of them (Twilight fan again) actually thinks that D&D is evil and doesn't want her children to even be in the room when anyone mentions it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:33 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

I used to be into fantasy but I got bored by basically everything traditional except Terry Pratchett. I still like Urban Fantasy though. But these days, I'm way big into SciFi again (I did start my reading career with Perry Rhodan books). And no matter what: Literature, Movies, TV, Games... even Metal, I love me some space stuffs.

It just began to feel like trad. Fantasy was in a rut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:47 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke.

[/thread]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 pm 
KSK Mastermind

I love Star Wars so..... Science Fantasy....

*drops the mic*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Honestly fuck both

Horror is the superior niche genre

Fantasy is the worst, every time I see a fantasy thing it's the same boring derivative bullshit

I like fantasy in video games tho because usually fantasy means options; in sci-fi games you usually just shoot dudes

Sci fi movies can be really good; Blade Runner and Alien are the best (Alien brings in dat horror genrefusion which makes it superior)

I'm also a huge fan of Ghost in the Shell so there's that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i tend to prefer science fiction as it offers up more tingly moments for my brain. it brings some of that weirdness of science out onto a platform where it's okay to talk about it without people thinking you're insane. i can't just walk up to people and say "hey, did you know solid objects aren't actually solid and gravity warps space/time?" i'm being general, but some of the more alienating topics of science, physics in particular, see more conversation due to the presence of science fiction.

fantasy has people talking about. . . . . not much of importance. it's mostly drama. occasionally you get loose crossovers like Shadowrun and Warhammer 40k, but straight cut elves and dragons fantasy tends to be pretty mindless unless it's exceptionally well written. like The Witcher.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:17 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

S1eepy wrote:
i tend to prefer science fiction as it offers up more tingly moments for my brain. it brings some of that weirdness of science out onto a platform where it's okay to talk about it without people thinking you're insane. i can't just walk up to people and say "hey, did you know solid objects aren't actually solid and gravity warps space/time?" i'm being general, but some of the more alienating topics of science, physics in particular, see more conversation due to the presence of science fiction.

fantasy has people talking about. . . . . not much of importance. it's mostly drama. occasionally you get loose crossovers like Shadowrun and Warhammer 40k, but straight cut elves and dragons fantasy tends to be pretty mindless unless it's exceptionally well written. like The Witcher.

This.

Basically the only pure fantasy books I liked in recent years were Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles.