neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ancient City Con 8
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:07 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I won't be doing the video game room this year. Among other reasons, it just costs too much. Spent about $200 last year on new controllers and they didn't even remember to give us staff shirts, so fuck it, going as a vendor this year.

Will be running a Smash Bros tournament still, 6:30 PM on Saturday after the dealer room closes.

So checking in, who all is planning on going to ACC this year? I ~might~ be getting a hotel room and would be more than happy to split it with 1 or several persons. Pretty sure it's just me going and not the wife, so we can make it a big party room if we have enough.

I'll be selling the Lego stuff as well as random goodness like the Pikachu plushies again. Will also have room in the vendor booth to sell stuff for other people if you have anything you want me to try and hock there.

This year is Friday - Sunday, July 18th - 20th.

Post subject: Re: Ancient City Con 8
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 am 
KSK Mastermind

I am considering it again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:11 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I would honestly love to go one year, but that Gencon sits right around the corner just weeks away from it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:11 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Ahh true. ACC isn't the kind of convention that you would drop a great deal of money on either. Like, if I went as a regular con-goer, including hotel and transportation, I could probably spend $300 for the weekend and have an awesome time. Less if I had people split the room with me.

I think i paid about $800 for Gencon the one time I went, and I shared a room. I did have to fly up there though, so that was about $300 of it.

Also, I just got some AWESOME display cases for Lego stuff. Sold one big one, but now I have 7 left. My booth at ACC and Belle Con (weekend of May 2nd - 4th) is going to be fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:46 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

How big is the show and what's the Creator's Alley look like?

Not for this year, but possibly next year and definitely the year after I might be in a position to register up. I can't really get a feel for the show from the website so I thought I'd ask here...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

A certain lego dealer on this forum has an intriguing question from me in their inbox. They should totally check that out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:16 am 
KSK Mastermind

Snifit wrote:
How big is the show and what's the Creator's Alley look like?

Not for this year, but possibly next year and definitely the year after I might be in a position to register up. I can't really get a feel for the show from the website so I thought I'd ask here...

they can NEVER seem to make a decent website for the con. The artist alley is usually fairly small. The convention is fun but it is pretty small. It gets a few inches bigger every year though. I just wish the website was more helpful and not a pain in the ass to navigate. People have complained in the past about it, and it ends up being exactly the same each year. I've also heard some negative stories from people who have helped work with the con as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Yeah, the deal with the con is that it's just one guy who runs it, really. I started helping him in the first year, 7 years ago, and just kinda kept helping. That's the same for the guy that does the website, the shirt designs, the guys that works the front, everything. Completely volunteer to help get the con going. PRoblem is, 7 years later we have 1,500 atendees and there's really no compensation of any kind. About 4 years ago I was told that the next year we might be able to get a free hotel room in exchange for continuing to help out, but that was the last year they even remembered a staff shirt for me.

I'm still doing the Smash Bros tournament this year, but there's no Dave and Buster's sponsorship like the last 3 times. The new manager is.... well....

Ok, I know I can be annoying at times in person. I like to talk way too much for my own good and I think I'm awesome far too often and really just need to shut up half the time. I'm aware of this fault of mine. The new manager at D&B is that, plus add what I think is some cocaine and a severe lack of faith in local advertising. I'm not even going to bother asking again this year.

Not sure what happened to Donnie, but apparently it was a real shit fest for him. He pulled out right after the last convention. Only reason I'm still doing the Smash Bros tournament is because they've been advertising it since last year and I'm the only one associated with the convention who has a Wii with everything unlocked.

Bogey - Got your message, sent a response. I'm not sure I can get those, but the prices aren't coming down anytime soon either way. Lego had a great business model, so those are going to be hard to find for a while.

Artist alley had like 10 to 15 or so people last year. About 30 vendor booths, I want to say, total too. Attendance was like 1,537. I expect that around 1,700 will be there this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Just paid for my booth, so I'm committed now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:30 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I'm in the process of packing stuff up for the convention now. Among the massive amounts of Lego products I have for the con, I also have the following.

Handmade Adventure Time themed hats.
Pikachu Hats
Pokemon, Adventure Time and MLP (old verstion) plushies as well as some really (note: I cannot spell 'weird' correctly) looking Simpsons toys (they might be dog toys).
A few awesome Lego collectors items, such as the Darth Vader technic set from a while back.
Hero Clix superhero figures I got from a buyout sale.

My booth isn't going to be amazing, but it's definitely going to be better than the last convention.

Oh, and also, I just confirmed my booths for MEGACON 2015!!! Yes, that's right, Booths with an s! I've got two of them, right near the entrance!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:43 am 
KSK Mastermind

Awesome! I probably wont be coming this year. Awesome about the megacon news too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Convention was great. Ran a very intense Lego speed building competition as well as the usual Brawl tournament which was AWESOME!

Seriously, no less than 10 times people jumped up and down screaming at sudden death kills, and one time about 6 chairs were overturned when 2 brothers faced off against each other resulting in what was just about the most awesome sudden death I've ever seen in Brawl.

Also, doubled what I originally set as my "break even" point for the booth at the convention, so that's a good thing. Now to find more cons in which to sell.