neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 392, 393, 394, 395, 396  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

For what its worth, I've been finding myself stumbling on words a lot lately. Its weird because diction and pronunciation used to be really strong for me in the radio days and now I stammer. Could just be a natural thing that happens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

I blame violent videogames

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:08 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I tend to stutter or stammer a lot, too. I think it's a confidence thing with me, because a lot of the time I feel like if I don't get out what I'm trying to say as fast as possible, people are going to lose interest in what I'm saying, or they're going to talk louder than me and the thing I wanted to say will be lost in the conversation. That's happened a lot to me, so I can see that stemming from what makes it come up.

That, or if I'm overly excited, I'll talk really fast, too. So, it's either a "fuck, I need to say this now, or I won't get a chance to!" thing, or a "Aaah, I'm excited, here is words. Many words, I am excite to say words to you and for your ears to hear them!"

If I catch myself doing that shit, I can slow it down. But when I talk I feel like I'm talking really slow. Like Cleavland Brown or something.

Point being, though, anyone who is worth talking to will listen to what you have to say. So, don't rush it, and take your time thinking about what you have to say. And, if you have to go "Oh, hey, so, we were talking about ___ earlier, I just wanted to say ____", that's fine, too. I've started doing that if the conversation moves too fast, and it's not optimal, but, hey, it works.

Social anxiety is a bitch, though, so I totally feel you. It sucks to second guess yourself. I think that's why I like typing more, because right now we're having a conversation that's taking place over several days, as opposed to right on the spot, so we all have time to think and plan out what we're saying, and can edit it afterwards. I'm pretty comfortable with talking online because it offers that leniency with a conversation. Talking to people IRL is kinda shitty sometimes, especially if you're already nervous for whatever reason.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:26 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

This may be the same for a lot of people, but I feel the best way to describe this feeling is it is like my brain speaks a different language, or that I think in a different language, which occasionally leads to errors and stuttering, or ideas feeling impossible to verbalise.

I've found that recently when people start cutting me off mid-sentence or talking over me, I have a tendency to yell at them and call them rude.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Neon Jackal wrote:
This may be the same for a lot of people, but I feel the best way to describe this feeling is it is like my brain speaks a different language, or that I think in a different language, which occasionally leads to errors and stuttering, or ideas feeling impossible to verbalise.

I've found that recently when people start cutting me off mid-sentence or talking over me, I have a tendency to yell at them and call them rude.

Yeah, if I get cut off, I'll light-heartedly say something like "Hey hey hey, hey Robert? Robert! Can I finish my sentence here?"

That's something that drives me nuts, too. Most people don't realize they're doing it, I don't think, so I try to be funny about it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:45 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, it's such a bullshit thing when people do that.

Also, speaking of bullshit, Binding of Isaac Rebirth won't run on my computer. It's an error that a bunch of people are getting at the moment, but it's driving me fucking nuts.

Also, the medicinal marijuana bill didn't pass, it looks like.

And Rick Scott is probably reelected, too.

Fuck. Today's got a serious Empire Strikes Back feel to it.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:48 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I find myself increasingly frustrated with the culture I live in and the state of the country I have inherited, but also feel powerless to do anything about it. I realize I am not exactly alone among my generation in this feeling, but it still blows. I don't want to get into a big thing about how important voting is or isn't, but I will say that my frustration is compounded by people telling me that this is all my generation's fault, that we can solve this if we all just get out and vote, etc. Yeah, that's great and might help somewhat, but I'm not expressing this feeling of impotence based on pure cynicism. We have an electoral system which does not choose representatives based on what best represents our citizenry (first past the post voting is broken), and even if we do elect the representatives we find more favorable, it's been statistically demonstrated that our representatives do not make legislative decisions based on the opinions of their constituents; representation is so skewed in favor of lobbies/interest groups that the impact of public opinion on lawmaking is considered statistically negligible:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... id=9354310

Telling young people to go out and get involved, and sure, to go vote, is a good thing. We should all be doing that; however, it's intellectually irresponsible to make the claim that we are responsible for the state of the country we've inherited, and it strikes me as an easy "out" to make the claim that we, within the confines of the U.S. legislative process, have the power to change or "fix" the situation. We simply, factually, do not, by any measurable account.

As well-intentioned as so many groups I follow and support (planned parenthood, a number of feminist and human rights groups, etc) are being when they give big promotions about getting out and voting, I can't help that feel that while they are right in asserting that this is a good thing for us to be doing, they're also implicitly condoning the system that has taken power away from the people they're supposed to be protecting. If you tell people that their best course of action is to try to enact change through a system in which the mechanism by which we enact change is fundamentally broken, to some degree you are engaging in a logical fallacy; you are trying to use a broken tool to fix itself, and I feel like telling people, particularly young people just starting to get involved in these sorts of issues, that the best thing they can possibly do is get out and vote is dangerous in the same way certain types of internet "slacktivism" are. It takes issues which need addressing and gives you an easy course of action to make you feel like you're enacting a change while at the same time not in any way assuring you that your actions had any real impact.

I feel like this comes across as cynical or maybe just lazy, like what I'm saying is "we don't have any power and we're all screwed, so why bother doing anything," and that's not where I'm coming from. I just feel a great deal of frustration because I genuinely would like to be able to do something meaningful in this planet I've been born into, and with the date I have available it really doesn't seem very likely that I can.

(To be TOTALLY clear, I don't think voting is worthless. I get that even if representatives are representing nothing but corporate lobbies and other wealthy interest groups, there still is some merit to choosing certain interest groups over others, and I also am aware that public referendums are a thing, and that occasionally we do get to bypass our so-called representatives and directly vote on issues. I also am aware that these issues are significantly less prevalent the more local you go. This isn't my "voting is bullshit and we're all dumb for doing it" rant, it's my "despite us having a vote, I get the distinct impression that we're all basically powerless, and I don't think that's how that's supposed to work" rant.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Well, the biggest problem is that money talks way louder than words, so the influence that a company or a super rich person has over the campaign of a national level election is much higher than anything than an individual can contribute. So, if your guy that you're backing gets in, and you're a company, you can say "Hey, we helped you out, you remember that shit, man, and vote for X, Y, and veto Z or we won't fund you next time" and of course they will, because they want the extra funding for when their next reelection comes around.

And while special interest groups and lobbyists should theoretically be able to sway this back to the power of the people - a bunch of people get together who don't have a ton of money, throw together 10 bucks each, and suddenly they have enough to talk as loud with their money as a large company, etc - this is also problematic, because money is still the contributing factor, so anything that the super rich or a company wants will be much more easily obtainable.

Is the system fundamentally flawed? Maybe. But, I've seen balance of powers shift, too. Florida was a Blue state this last presidential election, which is fucking crazy to me. Granted, it was about 50/50, and we just barely got by. And in this last mid term I guess enough democrats didn't come out to vote and that tiny little fraction was just enough to make the shift back to a completely Red state.

But it isn't so much a broken system. I think that we can work in the system itself to fix it. The problem is that we need strength in numbers to do that, and not just in one place, but across each district, state, the whole country.

But then even if we *do* get a ton of young people out to vote for the change they're looking for, we've still got the Baby Boomers looming over head, and they're probably always going to outvote, because 1. there's a lot of them, and 2. old people fucking love politics and voting and watching a shit ton of the news and getting scared about things.

So, we're kind of at the mercy of that huge demographic of people, unfortunately, too. Which is kind of bad, because we're stuck with a large group of people who grew up in a much different time than the current generation, and that can keep us based in an older, more "traditional" mindset as a nation, I guess.

I dunno, I think we do matter, and even if the system isn't built for us, if we get enough of us out there, when the time comes to vote to change the system to something better, maybe our voice will be loud enough.

Basically:

(ignore the video name, it was the only one I could find of this clip :coookieesssss: )

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Coming to the end of my programming course, it was very disappointing. My only real take away from the course is I hate databases and documentation(which is 99% of the course, 1% is maybe coding, and 90% of that was copy/pasting code). Don't know if I want to continue programming, so now I'm back at square one, yet again with no idea what I want to do. I'm getting too old for this shit, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:22 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Neon Jackal wrote:
Coming to the end of my programming course, it was very disappointing. My only real take away from the course is I hate databases and documentation(which is 99% of the course, 1% is maybe coding, and 90% of that was copy/pasting code). Don't know if I want to continue programming, so now I'm back at square one, yet again with no idea what I want to do. I'm getting too old for this shit, etc.

What kinda programming were you doing, exactly?

I remember my entry-level courses being pretty rough, but if you stick with it it gets really fun and rewarding.

On a day-to-day basic, I use a decent amount of coding stuff all the time, but very little of it is what I learned in my first few years. Like, I have *zero* reason to implement a sort algorithm. I'll just use whatever my environment's default sort() method is and call it a day. I rarely write programs in C or Java - most of the time I can find some other program that gets me 90% there, and I just have to write the "glue code" for it.

It's especially useful when you run into, say "oh, you need these 10,000 image files sorted into folders by image size?" I could fire up eclipse, load up whatever Java's image handling library is and get to work. Or, I can make use of ImageMagick (a bunch of command line utilities for dealing with images that's on every linux system ever) and a quick shell script.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

for file in *.jpg
do
  folder=$(identify -format "%wx%h" "${file}")
  if [[ ! -d "${folder}" ]]
  then
    mkdir -p "${folder}" || exit 1
  fi
  mv -v "${file}" "${folder}/" || exit 1
done

You don't exactly need a CS degree to make a basic bash script, but look at it - we've got:

• loops (for (x) in whatever)
  • Conditional execution (we're making sure the directory exists before we make it)
  • Error checking (if the mkdir or the mv commands fail we quit with that "exit 1")

And people have no idea how much stuff like this is used. I write short things like this all the time.

It's really nice when you can't find a program that does something exactly the way you want it to, so you just go and write your own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

So far we've been "taught" C# and Java, had a lesson on Javascript as well. They just really hammer us with documentation and essays and databases. ERDs and normalisation make me want to just shoot myself into the sun and be done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:09 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

One of my friends from school died yesterday in a motorcycle accident. I wasn't really close with him, but he was a really great guy, and just one of those instantly likable people. Like, one of those guys that you just can't really say anything bad about him, because there isn't anything bad to say.

Fucking sucks. He was just about to graduate, he was a better student that I was, and probably way smarter, and really had a bright future ahead of him. Left behind a wife, too. I think he was like 23 or 24.

Just...man, I've never really had anyone close to me in age that I was really close to die. I knew a girl in high school that died in a car accident, too, a few years ago, but I never really talked to her that much. She was always really sweet to me, though.

It just feels fucking weird. I'm gonna miss that guy, though. Kinda sad that I never got to know him better.

Anyway, yeah. I dunno. I wrote something nice about him on facebook and I might go to a funeral or a remembrance thing for friends/family down there if they have one down in Melbourne.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:34 pm 
KSK Mastermind

It sucks being totally broke and knowing it will be like this for a few months especially with my birthday and christmas coming up. I may try and sell some of my NES games since my NES doesnt work anyway. I don't have a ton, but I at least have 200 bucks worth based on price charting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:09 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

@morte/nameless:

there are too many problems with elections. i think so long as voters remain uninformed in majority and candidacy is a high-profile high-expense activity: democracy does not work and can not work.

it's a great shell for a puppet-show however. it makes the less willful feel like they've had a say. but for anyone wanting to put in any sort of effort, or see things progress beyond petty bickering over matters of aesthetic preference: the system is an abject failure.

if you want to change things what you need is a goal, and a couple of people who agree on this goal. fuck money, fuck the man in a suit solving the problem for you. you need people who agree because that is the area where the wedge has been driven deepest between people. i have a million good ideas, but many of them never go anywhere because when it comes time for someone else to lift a finger: nobody ever does; in spite of preliminary interest. everybody is so wrapped up in their own shit or the security of working for somebody else that there no precieved need for individual fulfillment. sports, tv, videogames, magazines, and other such bullshits coddle us out of having any real spine. "open wide! here comes the airplane!" *zrooooom*

why do something when you can sit around talking about how fucked up honey booboo is to make yourself feel better about your shitty decisions and position in life?

our culture has become trash, as have those who consume nothing but.

so if change is really wanted: push yourself every day, get mad, and get yourself to a point where you can be responsible after having shucked off any need you may have for external laws and authority. then, if you can't afford to pay your agenda into fruition: you need extra hands.

i'm still convinced that five people who agree on the same goal can take over the world starting with $0.00.
people don't really agree on anything, but if you can make the relationship all about the one thing you do agree on: that's where you'll get somewhere.
to get somewhere stable you only need two people who are comfortable rolling up their sleeves. three and you have easier growth. four and growth becomes exponential.

the key is belief in what you're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:35 am 
KSK Mastermind

When I put them up for sale I had come to terms with what I was doing, but the sting was still there. Friday I sold my N64 and games. The weird part is when it comes to birthday game memories, the N64 comes to mind in the greatest detail. Ocarina of Time was magical and I stayed up super late playing it. Star Fox 64 was another. That rumble pack was something! I remember almost beating it the easy way that day!

Today I sold all but two of my NES games as well. Sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:15 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I feel ya, man. I cleaned out a lot of my old toys a few years back when I was cleaning my room, and it really stung a bit. But, I gave em to charity and I know that some kid is going to love that stuff, so that makes it hurt a little bit less. Even the ones that I have fond memories of them being Christmas presents.

Just think, maybe someone bought em off you who never had a chance to play them originally, and they've got all that fresh greatness ahead of them. Something that brought you such great joy and hours of entertainment is going on to a new person who can experience all of that, too.

It's hard to say goodbye, even to something as silly as an inanimate object. But, you gotta look on the bright side, too, ya know?

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 am 
KSK Mastermind

the worst part, is the guy i sold my NES games told me he was a reseller and was restocking... so he was just going to jack up the price and sell em.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:10 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Crashman wrote:
the worst part, is the guy i sold my NES games told me he was a reseller and was restocking... so he was just going to jack up the price and sell em.

It sucks that he told you that, but my experience selling things (on Craigslist, anyway) is that's what everybody's doing.

Way back when, my parents sold our old, beat-up '89 Toyota Corolla to a family for about $500. The whole family came over, looked at the car, and gave my parents the impression that they really needed this car. My parents initially wanted more, but y'know, here's this family, it's gonna be their kid's first car blah blah blah, and they got talked down to $500.

A week or two later I'm on the way to Publix, and what do I see? That same car with some new rims/hubcaps/whatever, lookin' all shiny (new clear-coat, I guess?) with a for sale sign for $1500. Fuckin' pissed us off.

So, even if you're sure you're selling to somebody who's not a dealer/reseller, chances are they're still totally a dealer/reseller, or just wanna flip the thing, etc.

I know it's not the same, but you could probably find a USB N64 controller for pretty cheap, same goes for a USB NES controller, and emulate the games on your PC. Hook the PC up to the TV and you're halfway there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Napalm Man wrote:
Way back when, my parents sold our old, beat-up '89 Toyota Corolla to a family for about $500. The whole family came over, looked at the car, and gave my parents the impression that they really needed this car. My parents initially wanted more, but y'know, here's this family, it's gonna be their kid's first car blah blah blah, and they got talked down to $500.

A week or two later I'm on the way to Publix, and what do I see? That same car with some new rims/hubcaps/whatever, lookin' all shiny (new clear-coat, I guess?) with a for sale sign for $1500. Fuckin' pissed us off.

Well, they are just the worst kind of people. What the fuck, man, that's so shitty.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Throwing up is fucking terrible.

I'm not sure who or what gave me a stomach bug, but it sucks.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:00 am 

Oh man, I'd rather get kicked in the nuts over throwing up. I hate throwing up more than anything else. I was doing good, had a streak of like ten years without it. Then I got super drunk on red wine. That night did not end well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:11 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I think the last time I threw up was several years ago. It was either when I got shitfaced at DragonCon and threw up in a crowded room (that was fucking terrible), or when my sister's dog took a massive wet shit on the carpet, and I was the only one home so I had to clean it up.

But, yeah, throwing up is the fucking worst. And then when you're all out, but you're still dryheaving? Fuck. I hate it. I fucking hate it.

I haven't done it since last night, though. I think whatever was making me do it, I got it out. So, hopefully this was just a 24 hour stomach bug.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 am 

See that never seems quite s bad to me. Like that feeling of "Ok, I'm done now" makes it better in some weird way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I've thrown up twice in the last 10-15 years, both due to alcohol. It was a rare occasion I would drink, now I don't at all.
It's never been so much the act itself, but the anticipation and dry-reaching/heaving to the point where it can get painful, that's what I could never handle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:25 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Dryheaving is definitely the worst part of it.

It always feels way better after I throw up. Like, whatever it's needing to do to the contents of my guts, it's working. Either getting rid of the copious amounts of alcohol, or the bad bacteria in there, or whatever. I feel better after throwing up.

But the act of it and the moments leading up to it are fucking terrible. And just hacking into the toilet when you're completely empty with tears streaming down your face? Fuck. I hate it.

I think I'm in the clear now, though. I have no idea what caused it. My nephews are sick, but they both have like a cough head cold, not a stomach bug. And my brother and I ate the same thing over the weekend when we were working at the flea market, so it's not like I got food poisoning (and even if I did, why would it manifest like 24 hours later?).

ExPostFacto wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 392, 393, 394, 395, 396  Next