neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:56 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
My graphics card overheats sometimes. I clean my computer regularly, give it a good amount of space on all sides, have all my fans running at 100%, etc, but once in a while it still happens. Any advice? It actually recently got to a point where my video card got totally fried (my fault; I knew it was running hot and continued playing Shogun 2 for several hours without doing anything about it) and fortunately still had it under warranty, so I have a fresh card and things are running well for now, but I want to avoid more incidents in the future, if possible.

Also weeeeeeeeeeee run-on sentences. :coookieesssss:

did you try throwing a slot cooler under it?
you can get one for around $10.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I don't understand this shit at all. If I'm on the public wifi, youtube, and dailymotion and all the video sites will load just fine.

But, if I go through my router (which is just an added security on top of the school's wifi, and has been working fine for months now), youtube won't load shit.

This didn't start happening until yesterday. I watched like 2 hours of youtube minecraft videos, and then I tried to watch some 40 second shit, and it wouldn't load. But it'll load just fine now on the shitty public wifi.

If it was a firewall issue, that wouldn't have been a problem that just started 12 hours ago, right? I mean, it's the same fucking internet that I've been using for the last like 6 months now. :cookieshuh:

(edit) apparently, it's campus wifi being retarded. Which is weird because when I use the campus wifi, it's fine, but when I use my wifi that's hooked into it and encrypted, it goes stupid. But, other people around campus are having the same problems. Weird.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
I don't understand this shit at all. If I'm on the public wifi, youtube, and dailymotion and all the video sites will load just fine.

But, if I go through my router (which is just an added security on top of the school's wifi, and has been working fine for months now), youtube won't load shit.

This didn't start happening until yesterday. I watched like 2 hours of youtube minecraft videos, and then I tried to watch some 40 second shit, and it wouldn't load. But it'll load just fine now on the shitty public wifi.

If it was a firewall issue, that wouldn't have been a problem that just started 12 hours ago, right? I mean, it's the same fucking internet that I've been using for the last like 6 months now. :cookieshuh:

(edit) apparently, it's campus wifi being retarded. Which is weird because when I use the campus wifi, it's fine, but when I use my wifi that's hooked into it and encrypted, it goes stupid. But, other people around campus are having the same problems. Weird.

Well, so, your encrypted Wifi probably isn't using the campus wifi, but rather an ethernet connection, right? I'm going to make that assumption, that your router is actually wired into a port.

When you do that, your router adds a decent amount of complexity to the setup. If they made same change to how the ethernet connection to your room works, that would totally explain everything going to crap.

I can't really give advice without making a whole lot of assumptions about how your school network works, though. But basically - the ethernet and the wifi are likely two pretty different beasts. For example, at my job, our wired connection and our wireless can't even talk to eachother, at all. It's intentionally done that way.

The best way to figure it out - try wiring your laptop into your ethernet port instead of the router, and see what happens. If everything works fine, then they probably made some change to how the back-end works for your ethernet connection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

It's kind of a weird set up at my apartment.

When I first moved in, they didn't have wifi at my apartment complex, so I brought a router from home, and plugged it in to the ethernet cable to get wifi.

Then they mounted a router for their wifi stuff into the wall, and the only way to get to the ethernet jack is through that now.

So, I have a router that's hooked into their router. It's using campus internet, but, it's using my router so I have some added security, I guess.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, honestly, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

It sounds like the internet is crapping out elsewhere, too, from what my friends are telling me. So, I think it was the entire campus being wonky.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
It's kind of a weird set up at my apartment.

When I first moved in, they didn't have wifi at my apartment complex, so I brought a router from home, and plugged it in to the ethernet cable to get wifi.

Then they mounted a router for their wifi stuff into the wall, and the only way to get to the ethernet jack is through that now.

So, I have a router that's hooked into their router. It's using campus internet, but, it's using my router so I have some added security, I guess.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, honestly, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

It sounds like the internet is crapping out elsewhere, too, from what my friends are telling me. So, I think it was the entire campus being wonky.

So, here's the thing about secure wifi. You're only encrypting what's happening between you and your router. That's it. All your data goes past the router, back to the plain-jane unencrypted internet.

Basically, here's what happens to all data on plain, open wifi.
You computer sends data to your wifi card, which broadcasts it. Your router picks it up, and sends your data on its way.

Let's say you do it on encrypted wifi:
Your computer sends data to your wifi card, it encrypts it, then broadcasts it. Your router picks it up, decrypts it, and sends your data on its way.

The only thing it stops is people sitting nearby with packet sniffers, which is rarely ever an actual problem. The main benefit of encrypting wifi is to keep random schmucks from stealing your internet and running a billion torrents. But since you're plugged into an open router anyway, that benefit is gone. In fact, since your router is plugged into an open one, yours may as well be open. I could hop onto the open one and talk to your computer, and do all sorts of nasty shit.

Now, if you're interested, I can write up how you can secure your laptop so that you could join any open wifi network, and be pretty sure nobody's going to read your data. But that could be a whole separate post.

The main point is: there's no benefit to setting up your own, encrypted wifi router when the router it connects to is open anyway. There is, literally, no extra security.

Look into whether or not your campus offers VPN services (they almost always do). When you go onto ANY open wifi, log into the VPN, and boom - encrypted traffic. It's a lot more secure.

I wouldn't recommend wifi + vpn when you're playing games online, though. Heck, I don't recommend playing games on Wifi, period. Just plug your laptop into that ethernet port when you sit down to play games. You'll much better latency (aka lower ping)

So, to recap:
1) Just ditch your router entirely. You're not getting any extra security, you may as well be on the open wifi.
2) Get your laptop setup to use the school's VPN (they have people that can help you with this)
3) Plug into ethernet when you want to play games/skype/things like that

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

What's the ballpark shelf life for a wireless router?

We've been having a lot of difficulties with our internet connection lately (websites not loading, videos taking forever to stream) and I'm not sure if its just our provider or our router. We have a total wireless hookup. The signal beams to a box that's plugged into our router. I know, it's a pretty bad set up but it's inexpensive, super close to our apartment, and had virtually no set up. When we first moved in it was great. Now on cloudy stormy days we get shitty signal. Totally understandable. Within the last few days we've had great weather, perfect signal on our box, and no fucking connection what so ever.

I know the ideal solution is to switch providers. I'm just wondering if there could be a router problem. I'd hate to pay for a brand new installation only to still not get any internet connection because of a bad router.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:00 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

How old is your router?

Also, I mean, I don't know if it could be the router or not, but I imagine anywhere you'd buy a router from would have a return policy, so you might as well try it out and see, I guess? If you don't want to commit to spending money switching providers, that's probably your best route on the short term.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

We've had the router for a little under four years. Just didn't know if routers regularly crapped out after a length of time or no. I mean, a router is not that expensive. Just didn't want to add more to a provider switch over if I didn't have to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Earlier, the desktop's internet was buggered, but I was able to get onto wifi just fine. I think I fixed everything by just powering everything down and back up again. It's been fucked up for like 36 hours, though, and I feel kinda stupid that doing that happened to fix it. :cookieshuh:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:52 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

My old black monolith is getting a little long in the tooth. I built it back in 2008 and slowly but surely it is showing its age. So, time for an upgrade. It'll happen in July. So far, I intend to buy the following:

Intel Core I7 4770K
Zotac GTX770 4GB
Ausus Gryphon Z87
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MhZ 8GB (For a start)
Samsung 250GB SSD

This brings me to about € 1.170,-. I chose this particular Asus board because auf two PCIe x16 slots since I plan to add a second GTX770 further down the line. RAM will also be extended later on.

I will have this thing hooked up to my 50" TV as well as my monitor. The reason being that, with steam Big Picture (which I already use. My Laptop can play most recent games on max settings at 1080p, especially UE3 titles), I won't have to buy into the next console generation. I'll be PC only from then on out, except maybe a WiiU, IF Nintendo gets around making another good Metroid game.

So, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Snifit wrote:
We've had the router for a little under four years. Just didn't know if routers regularly crapped out after a length of time or no. I mean, a router is not that expensive. Just didn't want to add more to a provider switch over if I didn't have to.

Shit, I wish I wasn't so late on this.

So, your router is probably fine. What's likely happened is WiFi's gotten a lot more popular, and now your area is congested with WiFi traffic. Do you have a bunch of WiFi networks you can see in your apartment?

If so (and I'm talking "a bunch" being 5 or 6 or so), that's likely the problem, and there's a few things you can do to fix it:

1) Find out what's the least-populated WiFi channel and use that.

WiFi has 11 available channels in the US. One trick about channels, though, is they overlap eachother somewhat, you're really unlikely to find a non-used channel.

A lot of people spout "1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels" which is true, but if you're dealing with a lot of networks, it's a moot point. However, that likely means everybody else is using 1, 6, or 11, so something like channel 8 would be great, since it'll have SOME interference, but not as much as 3 guys all on channel 6.

There's an app for Android called "WiFi Analyzer" that I'm a fan of - it'll show you who's currently using what channel and visualize everything for you, and you can figure out what channel to use for your router.

2) Upgrade to use 5GHz networking.

This option probably requires spending some money, but it'll be worth it. All Wireless B and Wireless-G devices operate in the 2.4GHz space, but wireless N allows you to use 2.4GHz OR 5GHz, and fucking nobody is using 5GHz in your area, I bet.

This would require research - Wireless-N devices aren't required to use 5GHz, so you'll wanna double-check. And some older devices probably wouln't work, like Nintendo DS's and whatnot. But it'll be blazing fast and solid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:59 am 

This is my new setup

I downgraded a little bit from what I posted above since the price of what I originally intended to buy was in no relation to the performance gain compared to what I have installed now.

Building it was a bit of a bitch. It's been six years since my last complete build, but I managed without a hitch. Installation was a dream, fast and easy.

So far, I played Borderlands 2, FarCry 3 and a beefed up Skyrim, both on my monitor and my big screen TV. FC3, for example: 1080p, all details maxed out and it was smooth as freaking butter to play. I had to restart the game from the beginning since the difference between medium and max details is just so profound.

Now I just need a game to really put it through the ringer but I'm neither interested in Crysis3 nor ArmA3 nor Battlefield3. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

minecraft with an uncapped render distance and a 1024x1024 texture pack.
http://www.9minecraft.net/hyper-realism ... ture-pack/

then start building with redstone.

both your processor and video card should start crying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:48 am 

I'll give it a try, though I might be too lazy :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Bioshock Infinite is kind of a bad game in retrospect but it looks great, so that would probably be worth fooling around with

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So my speakers work, but they don't work when plugged into the audio port of the PC. They worked for about 2 months and then randomly on one turn-on stopped. The device drivers all seem to be working fine and everything. I tested the speakers and they work.

Do I just reinstall the drivers or am I missing something else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:11 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Bogey wrote:
So my speakers work, but they don't work when plugged into the audio port of the PC. They worked for about 2 months and then randomly on one turn-on stopped. The device drivers all seem to be working fine and everything. I tested the speakers and they work.

Do I just reinstall the drivers or am I missing something else?

Have you tried plugging other speakers or headphones into that same audio out port?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15