neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:43 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

sounds like something that hit me a while back. I think you got hit with a rootkit

go to this page if you can and download TDSSKILLER
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

run it in safe mode... If it detects anything you're gonna have to format your computer because Rootkits are deeply integrated into your system and will come back eventually

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:17 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Does the browser crash, or do you think it's a network timeout?

Are you on wired or wifi?

Also, why do you have so much AV? Running multiple antivirus doesn't help anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:47 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
Does the browser crash, or do you think it's a network timeout?

Are you on wired or wifi?

Also, why do you have so much AV? Running multiple antivirus doesn't help anything.

This

All you need is Security Essentials if you're on Windows, I use malwarebytes if SE fails to catch anything (MB stays shut off unless I get hit with something really nasty that SE can't kill... other than that I only run SE)

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm 
Bucket Of Flud

I normally just run avast, but after i had the issue I was just trying everything. Browser just times out..actually it never does anything at all. I have a wifi (public) and wired connection. Both work for a few minutes then stop. They both work fine on my ubuntu side.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm 
Bucket Of Flud

Nothing found... but i guess i will just reformat.

which leads to question 2

my new dell has no cd/dvd drive. how the hell do i reformat it

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:07 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Well, since Skype and online games still work, I would double-check a few more things before you go with reformatting-

First, let's say you did have some kinda rootkit/virus. They'll usually fuck with your system proxy settings (in the internet control panel), so I'd go look at that and make sure it says "no proxy." Do the same in your browser settings. If they're anything but default (No Proxy/Direct Connection), there's a good chance you have/had something.

Have you tried booting in safe mode w/ networking? Does that work?

Have you tried another browser?

When you reformat, Windows is gonna overwrite GRUB - so you won't be able to boot into Linux, unless you either a) install Grub4NT or whatever that's called, or b) use some kinda system rescue disc to re-install grub after you finish installing Windows.

As far as having no CD/DVD drive goes - most Dells come with some kind of recovery partition to deal with this, you'll hit some key at bootup to get there, I dunno what it is, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 am 
Bucket Of Flud

Im not at home so I just searched for screen shots.

I tried Chrome and IE.

When I click on the proxy button on chrome it brings up this window (NOTE THIS IS NOT MY PC THIS IS A RANDOM IMAGE OFF OF GOOGLE)

But where it says ADA VPN its blank. My computer is in Korean, and my Korean isnt exactly good enough to do advanced computer functions. Sorry for sounding more noobish than I am.

I'll try safe mode when I get home.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 am 
Bucket Of Flud

Networking in safemode is working.

Also here is my proxy settings.

Attachments:
제목 없음.png
제목 없음.png [ 18.65 KiB | Viewed 3515 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Try that "LAN Settings" button, I think that's where your proxy info is. Make sure that's blank.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:37 pm 
Bucket Of Flud

Only thing selected there is auto detect settings. No proxy set up.

Other issue Dell's support site says to reformat press f8 at the dell splash screen. That does nothing... Ugh...i guess im stuck on linux only or pirate windows.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

fludbucket wrote:
Only thing selected there is auto detect settings. No proxy set up.

Other issue Dell's support site says to reformat press f8 at the dell splash screen. That does nothing... Ugh...i guess im stuck on linux only or pirate windows.

Networking is working in safemode. You don't have to reformat.

Completely remove *all* your antivirus and try that. I keep forgetting you have like, a billion AV softwares running. That's probably the problem.

If you have any firewall software installed, try disabling all of that, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:54 am 
Bucket Of Flud

I only had Avast when the problem first started. I installed most of those after the issue occured, but I will try when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the help duder.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 am 
Bucket Of Flud

Fixed <3 you all with mouth

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:56 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

fludbucket wrote:
Fixed <3 you all with mouth

What was the fix?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:12 am 
Bucket Of Flud

Safe mode with networking -> update all av -> scan
Delete said av _> go back to reg windows

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:25 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

fludbucket wrote:
Safe mode with networking -> update all av -> scan
Delete said av _> go back to reg windows

Good deal, man.

So if you're not running AV, I suggest you go get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and does a pretty good job.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:52 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

My computer's decided to start shutting off on its own the last few days.

The screen goes black, and then it acts like I told it to shut down.

This is usually after it's been running for awhile and playing a game or something else intensive.

Does this sound like overheating to anyone else, too? What would be the best solution to this? I'm thinking if that is the case, I just need to get a new external fan or something.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Nameless88 wrote:

This is usually after it's been running for awhile and playing a game or something else intensive.

Does this sound like overheating to anyone else, too? What would be the best solution to this? I'm thinking if that is the case, I just need to get a new external fan or something.

Download Speedfan and run it. I used that to discover that my PC was DANGEROUSLY overheating and doing what yours is.

None of the temps should go over 75c from what I can tell. If it goes higher then shut your PC off and fix the issue otherwise you can burn up your CPU or GPU.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:17 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Stomphoof wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

Download Speedfan and run it. I used that to discover that my PC was DANGEROUSLY overheating and doing what yours is.

None of the temps should go over 75c from what I can tell. If it goes higher then shut your PC off and fix the issue otherwise you can burn up your CPU or GPU.

K, thanks, man. I'm looking at it right now, and stuff is running at about 64-65C right now.

Is that about normal, or is that running kind of high?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Stomphoof wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

K, thanks, man. I'm looking at it right now, and stuff is running at about 64-65C right now.

i try not to let anything go over 55C.
my idle is around 20-30C

65C is stupid hot for not being under a heavy load.
pc?
when was the last time you opened it up and dusted?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
Stomphoof wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

i try not to let anything go over 55C.
my idle is around 20-30C

65C is stupid hot for not being under a heavy load.
pc?
when was the last time you opened it up and dusted?

Also, I assume you would have said if this wasn't the case, but does speedfan show all your fans running at full speed?

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Laptop. I was playing Binding of Isaac for a pretty long time, and my external fan isn't working.

Seems like the area at the front of the laptop gets pretty hot, like below the keyboard, next to the mousepad.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:56 pm 
Web Slinging KSK

Make sure your Laptop is free of obstructions on the bottom side, thats where all of the vents are. Buy some compressed air and try to blow out as must dust as you can, I usually do it until there is no more dust.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Guys. GUYS.

I'm able to get on the school's network, but I can only view this place and reddit and shit when I go into Private Browsing mode.

Does that mean they block shit by keeping a tabs on my cookies or something?

Any way I can circumvent that, because fuck em?

Hmm, so, the ethernet connection works in my room now (they labeled the two plugs in the wall backwards. Ethernet is the phone jack, and the phone jack is ethernet. Durp.)

Soo...there's a log in page, right? I click on the internet, it redirects me to gatekeeper.fit.edu or something...but if I activate Private Browsing mode...I don't have to log in.

Also, I can get to other websites, like Reddit and this forum, and it wouldn't let me get to it regularly. Claimed that I needed to wait for my computer to be registered, and maybe release and renew my lease to get it to register properly. I have no idea how to do that, and it's already 11 pm, so I can't really talk to anyone about it, either.

But, private browsing seems to function. So, that's fucking interesting. :cookieshmm:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
Guys. GUYS.

I'm able to get on the school's network, but I can only view this place and reddit and shit when I go into Private Browsing mode.

Does that mean they block shit by keeping a tabs on my cookies or something?

Any way I can circumvent that, because fuck em?

Hmm, so, the ethernet connection works in my room now (they labeled the two plugs in the wall backwards. Ethernet is the phone jack, and the phone jack is ethernet. Durp.)

Soo...there's a log in page, right? I click on the internet, it redirects me to gatekeeper.fit.edu or something...but if I activate Private Browsing mode...I don't have to log in.

Also, I can get to other websites, like Reddit and this forum, and it wouldn't let me get to it regularly. Claimed that I needed to wait for my computer to be registered, and maybe release and renew my lease to get it to register properly. I have no idea how to do that, and it's already 11 pm, so I can't really talk to anyone about it, either.

But, private browsing seems to function. So, that's fucking interesting. :cookieshmm:

These things all work pretty differently, but, I doubt they're using cookies.

Quick background: every computer/server/etc on the internet has an IP address. There's a system, called the Domain Name System (DNS) that exists to resolve domain names to IP addresses. So, when you type in http://www.neskimoforums.com, your computer sends out a packet saying "Hey guys what's the IP address for neskimoforums.com" and something says "Oh it's 72.29.93.91"

So, the way these "registration" things usually work is this - your computer asks for the IP address of neskimoforums.com, and the school's DNS servers say "Hey who's looking up neskimoforums.com? Is he in the list? No? Fuck that guy, send him the IP address of our login/signup thing instead." Then, you get your computer signed up, and next time, you can do what you want.

So, it MIGHT be that your browser has cached it's DNS request. Because, how often does the IP address of neskimoforums.com change? Fucking never - so your computer might be saying "Oh hey I just looked that up like an hour ago I'm not gonna bother looking it up again." But I don't think it's your browser that caches the IP address, I think it's the system that does that. But I'm not entirely sure - it would make sense that, if the browser is doing the caching, private mode would dictate "every time you need a DNS, look it up - don't skimp."

So, my recommendation - unplug your ethernet cord, reboot, plug it back in. You'll re-do your DHCP stuff (which is what they mean by release and renew your lease - they mean your DHCP lease), which should hopefully tell your system "hey man you need to actually start looking up IP addresses again."

EDIT: Another tidbit (and this might just be me being paranoid) - you're using their network equipment, and you have NO IDEA what exists between you and facebook.com, right? Your data's gonna go through their shit, and you have absolutely zero control over it.

Unless you use HTTPS for like, everything. It's not perfect, but when you're on equipment you can't completely trust, you should use it.

There's an extension for Firefox, called HTTPS Everywhere, made by the EFF - https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/ - which will try to make as many connections as possible use https instead of normal http.

EXAMPLE: Let's say I plug into their network. I can look up the IP address of their gateway, and send out a thing saying "hey guys I'M actually the gateway you should send your things to me first" -- and if you're using plain http on facebook, I can hijack your facebook session and post giant dicks on your friends' walls, and it'll look like you're the one doing it. Because I'm on facebook under your account.

Unless you're using https from the get-go - then I can't do all that much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next