neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:02 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

No idea what this HTTPS Everywhere thing is, but if you think it'll thwart potential hackers, then up up and away! :coookieesssss:

Also, okay, how do I release my DHCP lease? Also, what's a DHCP? haha

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Napalm Man wrote:
So, my recommendation - unplug your ethernet cord, reboot, plug it back in. You'll re-do your DHCP stuff (which is what they mean by release and renew your lease - they mean your DHCP lease), which should hopefully tell your system "hey man you need to actually start looking up IP addresses again."

Heh.

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Control Protocol.

Basically, when you hop onto WiFi or plug in an ethernet cord, your computer says "HEY GUIZE I NEED AN IP ADDRESS PLZ" and some other machine (typically the router) will say "Oh OK we'll call you 192.168.1.109, and we'll hold that IP address for you for like 3 days"

That's why it's a DHCP lease - you get IP address assigned to you for a specific length of time. After three days (or whatever, it's entirely up to the network admin how long one lasts), your computer will ask for an IP address again, and it may get assigned a different IP address.

Releasing your DHCP lease means your computer says "Hey guys I'm heading out for a bit don't hold this IP address for me anymore"

And renewing is when you come back and your computer says "I AM SO SORRY I EVER LEFT YOU PLEASE TAKE ME BACK"

There's a billion different of ways to release/renew in Windows without doing an unplug+reboot, but it's a lot easier for me to just type "unplug, reboot, plug in" and call it a day

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:01 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Fair enough, then, haha.

"release your DHCP lease" is a lot more complicated than saying "unplug, restart, replug in" haha. Kind of wish they'd have those instructions on their website.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
Fair enough, then, haha.

"release your DHCP lease" is a lot more complicated than saying "unplug, restart, replug in" haha. Kind of wish they'd have those instructions on their website.

Well, like I said - there's a couple of ways to do it.

Method one: fire up a command prompt (start, type in cmd.exe, enter), type "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" - that's the fastest, and in my opinion, easiest way. Significantly quicker than the whole reboot thing.

There's some way to do it via GUI, but, I don't even bother when I know I can just type some commands and hit enter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Okay, well, I'm thinking they just blocked the front page of reddit.com

Here's the dumb part: reddit.com/r/all works *just* fine.

So, here's my question: How can I bypass that shit?

Also, I think they block me from uploading anything, so I can't upload stuff to imgur.com, any idea how I can fix that, too?

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
Okay, well, I'm thinking they just blocked the front page of reddit.com

Here's the dumb part: reddit.com/r/all works *just* fine.

So, here's my question: How can I bypass that shit?

Also, I think they block me from uploading anything, so I can't upload stuff to imgur.com, any idea how I can fix that, too?

Huh. You typically don't block individual pages, you usually block whole domains. Plus, usually school-provided internet is fairly lax on content filtering. They really don't give a shit what you're looking at, they really just don't want you abusing the internet connection.

Question: is it that reddit.com isn't working, or do you get an actual "this page has been blocked please call this number if you think it's wrong"-type message?

Also, if they blocked uploading, the internet wouldn't work for you. At all. You simply can't do it. So, I don't think that's the problem with imgur.

Lemme know about what happens when you go to reddit (simply not work vs a school-provided "We block this, because fuck you" message), that'll give me a better idea of what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:37 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

it tells to me log into my school account and then says that my device hasn't been registered yet when I log in.

Quote:
ERROR: Connection Settings Not Applied

Your device may not have received its new settings.
You may need to release and renew your lease to receive your new connection settings.
If you do not know how to do this then please restart your computer and try to access the internet again.

After successfully reconnecting you may view your registered devices at:
https://gatekeeper.fit.edu/clientreg.

Only certain sites, though, for whatever reason. Reddit.com's main page is one of em.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
it tells to me log into my school account and then says that my device hasn't been registered yet when I log in.

Quote:
ERROR: Connection Settings Not Applied

Your device may not have received its new settings.
You may need to release and renew your lease to receive your new connection settings.
If you do not know how to do this then please restart your computer and try to access the internet again.

After successfully reconnecting you may view your registered devices at:
https://gatekeeper.fit.edu/clientreg.

Only certain sites, though, for whatever reason. Reddit.com's main page is one of em.

This sounds like a legit error and not them actively blocking anything.

Have you tried calling their helpdesk and complaining?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Not yet because I honestly wasn't sure if it was just a blocked site or not, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Okay, so, reddit.com now loads, along with everything else, no problem.

Except, I can't upload to imgur. It freezes at about 41% and just sits there. Both the Flash and HTML versions. Weird shit.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:

Except, I can't upload to imgur. It freezes at about 41% and just sits there. Both the Flash and HTML versions. Weird shit.

Did you ever call your campus' HelpDesk?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:39 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Napalm Man wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

No, the websites just kinda fixed themselves. :coookieesssss:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:20 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Nameless88 wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

No, the websites just kinda fixed themselves. :coookieesssss:

Okay, so, I figured it out. The Imgur thing is something with my computer, not the internet.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7. What plug-ins should I have on here?

So far I have:
Adobe Acrobat, Java, Shockwave, VLC web plugin, Windows Live photogallery, and Silverlight.

I'm not sure if that covers everything. Also, I don't even remember installing Silverlight.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 am 
In-House Sax Machine

ninite.com, choose what you want.

It's awesome and fast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:50 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I figured out why imgur wasn't working. It was that https everywhere thing. I have to disable it when I want to upload a picture or something, I guess?

Imgur worked just fine in IE, and when I disabled the https everywhere add-on, it loaded just fine in Firefox, too.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
I figured out why imgur wasn't working. It was that https everywhere thing. I have to disable it when I want to upload a picture or something, I guess?

Imgur worked just fine in IE, and when I disabled the https everywhere add-on, it loaded just fine in Firefox, too.

Weird! I don't have that problem, huh. Strange strange strange.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:26 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Computer has a fucking annoying habit of going into an infinite restart loop. And then after like 6 hours of trying to make it work, and having nothing work at all, it just suddenly goes like "Ooooh. You want me to start? Fuck, why didn't you say so, bro! Yeah, here's your password screen. :coookieesssss: Lol, umad?"

It only does it when it fully shuts down. I have no idea what's causing it, and fixing it seems to follow no logic whatsoever, either.

I'm taking it to my dad's tomorrow to have him look at it. He's good at this shit. But, seriously, what the fuck?

Btw, it is working now. I let it run the Repair Start Up thing, and after saying the first time that it had no idea what the fuck was wrong and it couldn't fix it, letting it do it again fixed it. :cookieshuh:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah, I think my computer is fucked. It locked up last night, got stuck in that reset loop again, and now when it finally does load it freezes on my desktop.

Part of me wants to say it was HTTPS Everywhere, because that's the only thing I've put on there that I'm unfamiliar with. It seems like it made Firefox lag really bad. Whenever I ran Cleansweep, it would have like over 1.2 Gb in shit to clear off, which is fucking crazy.

I have no idea why that add on would make it crazy, but that's my only guess, even though it was around for a month before the problems started.

I don't want to have to do a system restore to defaults thing, but it won't save any restore points I make and it might be the only way to have a functioning laptop again is to nuke everything. Fuck. :/

*edit*

I let it stay off for a little while, and it loaded pretty much just fine.

Maybe it's just an overheating problem? I do leave it on overnight and listen to music. Maybe I shouldn't be running it 24/7.

*edit again*

Last time it fucked up, I wrote down the shit that it froze on, and I was able to search for that online, figure out that it's actually kind of a common problem, and I was able to make some fixes from there. And if it gets set in the infinite reset loop again, I have a way to tell that to go fuck itself, and I wrote it down and I'm going to keep it by my computer so I can fix it.

Also, did some defragging, so that should help with the lag. It seems to be running a lot smoother now.

Gotcha, motherfucker. :drmario:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

I don't think a Firefox add-on could cause problems like that.

At least, not an add-on like HTTPS everywhere. Some weird-o "torrent toolbar" probably could.

If you've gotta wipe it at some point... you should totes switch to Linux.

I'm telling ya, I haven't looked back. Everything just works, it's amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:19 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I dunno, I've never really messed with Linux. Can I still use Steam and whatnot? Cuz, if I can internet, and play games, I'm basically good, haha.

Also, it's running beautifully now. So, whatever Advanced SystemCare did to it, it fixed the issues, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Nameless88 wrote:
Can I still use Steam and whatnot?

Soon! It's in beta right now - http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410

Also - http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

The first game they're going to port is Left 4 Dead 2. I believe all the other Valve games will be ported shortly thereafter.

Now, the 3rd-party games sold through Steam is a different story, no idea what's happening there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:14 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I might consider that in a few years, then. But, my main tech support guy (my dad, haha) knows Windows in and out, so, I'd rather stick with what he knows how to fix, I guess, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Not really a problem since it's easily managable, but my TV and Monitor are confused. I have my LCD monitor connected by DVI and my LCD TV connected by HDMI. I often use the shortcut windows key+P to switch between Monitor, TV and extended display but the Computer and Projector options are backwards, Computer outputs to my TV and Projector outputs to my Monitor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Neon Jackal wrote:
Not really a problem since it's easily managable, but my TV and Monitor are confused. I have my LCD monitor connected by DVI and my LCD TV connected by HDMI. I often use the shortcut windows key+P to switch between Monitor, TV and extended display but the Computer and Projector options are backwards, Computer outputs to my TV and Projector outputs to my Monitor.

I've never been a fan of the Windows+P shortcut. It's built for laptop users hooking up one external display. You can't configure it or anything -- why can't I go in and say "Hey, this display is a projector, this display is a TV" or even better, configure what options I want it to show when I hit Windows+P ? It's really dumb.

I just configure things with the display control panel when I'm on Windows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:51 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

My graphics card overheats sometimes. I clean my computer regularly, give it a good amount of space on all sides, have all my fans running at 100%, etc, but once in a while it still happens. Any advice? It actually recently got to a point where my video card got totally fried (my fault; I knew it was running hot and continued playing Shogun 2 for several hours without doing anything about it) and fortunately still had it under warranty, so I have a fresh card and things are running well for now, but I want to avoid more incidents in the future, if possible.

Also weeeeeeeeeeee run-on sentences. :coookieesssss:

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next