neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

LOL J/K Probably cancer. :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Man, Obama is in even more trouble now that there are less Jobs in America. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Pancreatic Cancer... I guess it was the... PC... that killed him? :yeeeeahhhhh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Pfft... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

God I feel like such a dick now.

Although I saw someone bitching about people making fun of his death earlier and I was thinking, "So? Like that's the first time someone's done that?"

Not to mention he's only getting attention because he was famous for creating the Apple product.

Maybe it's just hatred towards Macs or something and that's why I don't give a fuck. :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Attachment:
stevejobs.png
stevejobs.png [ 101.51 KiB | Viewed 5483 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:52 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

This is pretty lame, dude was fucking brilliant and pretty far from being old, god damn cancer

Cid_Highwind wrote:
Not to mention he's only getting attention because he was famous for creating the Apple product.

O...only?

Tell you what, go try shaping the very face of technological culture and come back and tell me again how insignificant Steve Job's contributions have been

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

RIP Steve Jobs, the man who helped kill the CD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:55 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
This is pretty lame, dude was fucking brilliant and pretty far from being old, god damn cancer

Cid_Highwind wrote:

O...only?

Tell you what, go try shaping the very face of technological culture and come back and tell me again how insignificant Steve Job's contributions have been

Yeah, Cid, joking aside unless you're just trolling I gotta side with Bats on this one... Easily one of the most influential people of our time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

as much as i don't like apple as a company, jobs pretty much single handedly brought apple back from the brink of extinction. the man was an innovator and was pretty much the only thing keeping apple alive in the past few years. he's destroyed pretty much every company when it comes to mp3 players, and led the way for some pretty awesome things, but without his ideas, apple is pretty fucked. i liked jobs as an innovator, but apple can go suck a bag of dicks

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I don't care how much you love or hate Apple, or why you do.

Apple, under Steve Jobs, led the way at figuring out how to take awesome technology and make it usable for the normal person.

Remember MP3 players before the iPod? They were total shit for your average person. In fact, most MP3 players are almost unusable by John Q Driveway to this day.

Remember computer MP3 players before iTunes? Total shit for your average person. And again - normal people generally just go with iTunes, because it's dead-simple.

Remember smartphones before the iPhone? They were shit, too (again, in terms of what a joe-schmoe wants).

Pretty much 90% of Mac OS X uses technology developed by Steve Jobs when he started NeXT computers (later bought up by Apple as part of bringing Steve Jobs back in).

Shit, Mac OS X was the first OS to say "Hey guys let's render the desktop in 3d wouldn't that be cool?" Expose (or whatever they call it now) may be one of the most dead-simple but awesome things to happen to personal computers. Before that, Virtual Desktops were reserved for Linux geeks. Not anymore.

Again, Steve Jobs was remarkable at recognizing that technology can be both powerful, feature-filled, and retard-simple to use.

If you're one of those HURR-DURR APPLE SUCKS PC ROCKZORZ FUCK MACS THEY'RE STUPID well, listen. There's this cool new thing, it's called pulling your head out of your ass. You should try it. This is directed at Cid. There. I said it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Napalm Man wrote:
Remember computer MP3 players before iTunes? Total shit for your average person.

Winamp was pretty simple. And it really whipped the llamas ass, too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:16 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
I don't care how much you love or hate Apple, or why you do.

Apple, under Steve Jobs, led the way at figuring out how to take awesome technology and make it usable for the normal person.

Remember MP3 players before the iPod? They were total shit for your average person. In fact, most MP3 players are almost unusable by John Q Driveway to this day.

Remember computer MP3 players before iTunes? Total shit for your average person. And again - normal people generally just go with iTunes, because it's dead-simple.

Remember smartphones before the iPhone? They were shit, too (again, in terms of what a joe-schmoe wants).

Pretty much 90% of Mac OS X uses technology developed by Steve Jobs when he started NeXT computers (later bought up by Apple as part of bringing Steve Jobs back in).

Shit, Mac OS X was the first OS to say "Hey guys let's render the desktop in 3d wouldn't that be cool?" Expose (or whatever they call it now) may be one of the most dead-simple but awesome things to happen to personal computers. Before that, Virtual Desktops were reserved for Linux geeks. Not anymore.

Again, Steve Jobs was remarkable at recognizing that technology can be both powerful, feature-filled, and retard-simple to use.

If you're one of those HURR-DURR APPLE SUCKS PC ROCKZORZ FUCK MACS THEY'RE STUPID well, listen. There's this cool new thing, it's called pulling your head out of your ass. You should try it. This is directed at Cid. There. I said it.

i've been using winamp since before the iPod. I had an iPod once (a gift) - it lasted less than 3 months, which is about a dozen times worse than any of the walkmans or cd walkmans i used before it.

to sum up: not really. he had the same approach his whole career, and it only worked when the market could support it. that's hardly something to be proud of. Whoopdidoo, he cancelled Newton only to make the iPhone 10 years later.
as far as I'm concerned the man is responsible for the 486 and the Macintosh - those are achievements. distorting global market trends through a questionable kind of salesmanship isn't something that I respect. All the man did in the last 15 years was reintroduce old technology.

Steve Jobs is dead. who cares. he wasn't known to be charitable or anything. he struck me as a fundamentally selfish man, and he's only this famous because he provided a scene for people to hate on microsoft (WHAT IF WE MAKE IT WHITE?). As far as I can tell, he got lucky once (during a lifetime of opportunism) and then had enough money to let other people do most of the work from then on.

edit: for the record, since i'm a digital artist I don't hate on Apple, though none of this iCrap appeals to me. I generally use the cheapest high-end hardware I can get to suit what I'm doing.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

Last edited by gimp on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

itt butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:25 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

since when does anybody miss businessmen? the man was on the Disney board of directors, surely a sign of true evil.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:05 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

gimp wrote:
since when does anybody miss businessmen? the man was on the Disney board of directors, surely a sign of true evil.

You know how he got there? He bought the computer graphics division from LucasFilm and turned it into Pixar.

Steve Jobs Made Toy Story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
gimp wrote:

You know how he got there? He bought the computer graphics division from LucasFilm and turned it into Pixar.

uncanny valley

Yeah after getting fired from Apple for being a waste of money.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
gimp wrote:

he produced it, yes. did steve jobs outright make Toy Story? no. he facilitated it. there's a big difference.

he made profitable decisions. no one ever said he didn't. back in the day during the advent of computers making actual progress WAS a profitable decision. however, when you try to corner a market progress no longer becomes profitable. making tiny tweaks and reselling the same products over and over again becomes far more profitable than trying to redefine anything.

steve jobs was a remarkably successful profiteer. he pioneered and redefined a great number of marketing and branding techniques. he established a successful business model centered around convincing people that a product of inferior specifications was worth more money than one of superior specifications. he convinced people that a product which serves the same form and function as the rest of the competing products somehow made these people 'unique' in their preferences; despite the fact that all of apples products look the same and are more limited in customization than the majority of the respective markets. therein lies the true genius of steve jobs.

but when i'm asked to take collective look out at what he has done to his involved markets; what he has done with the consumers and am asked if i think this is ultimatley a good thing. i say nay. the long term results are, quite frankly, appalling. especially when corporations started to take notice of his methods. he may have said fuck you to big brother in the very beginning when he stood to gain from it, but in the end he gave big brother one of the biggest boons they've ever had. in the end he showed corporation exactly how to brainwash a customer into fanatic brand loyalty. a wet dream for propaganda enthusiasts everywhere. it won't taste good, but its something to chew on for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg have a hell of a lot to account for concerning violating the privacy of millions.
Anyway, i figure he took a far bigger interest in NeXT than Pixar - that was the rich-man's equivalent of an investment. He certainly imposed no creative limitations on the team.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:24 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
gimp wrote:

he produced it, yes. did steve jobs outright make Toy Story? no. he facilitated it. there's a big difference.

I'm well aware that One Single Man did not make Toy Story. C'mon man. Kind of insulting.

S1eepy wrote:
he established a successful business model centered around convincing people that a product of inferior specifications was worth more money than one of superior specifications. he convinced people that a product which serves the same form and function as the rest of the competing products somehow made these people 'unique' in their preferences; despite the fact that all of apples products look the same and are more limited in customization than the majority of the respective markets. therein lies the true genius of steve jobs.

See, I think it's an issue of perspective.

Are their computers the same specs as others? Duh.

Do they perform the same basic functions as others? Also, duh.

Are they more limited in customization options? Yes.

What Apple does is make things simple and straightforward for the normal person. That's what they've always done. For you and me, that's limiting, for a lot of people, though, it's fantastic.

They divide their computer products into four basic categories - consumer mobile, consumer desktop, pro mobile, pro desktop. Figure out what you need, buy the product. Wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am/

Is it expensive? Yes. But they exist to make money. You're not their target market, apparently, big whoop. Doesn't mean they're doing anything bad. They're not brain-washing people.

Some people don't wanna learn computers. The Mac is perfect for them. I have this one friend - her wireless stops working. I say "Oh, you should probably go reset the router." She had no idea what I'm talking about. Next thing I know, she's calling up Comcast to try and get help. Some people are beyond help at learning computers, I tell them to get a Mac, and they're happy as a clam. They have Things To Do and they don't wanna fuck around.

Their OS is pretty straight-forward, it's rock-solid, and I argue that when you wanna get under-the-hood, you can do a lot more than a Windows machine. I can get all my favorite command-line unix tools on there and do whatever the fuck I want. It's amazing.

I don't know what these bad long-term ramifications are, but, I'm not worried about it. You wanna buy more advanced stuff? It's not like Apple is somehow stopping this from happening.

Are they arguably taking advantage of people not-so-good at computers? Probably. But, anybody I pay to change my oil is taking advantage of me not really getting cars all that much, which is fine. I don't wanna fuck around with cars, I wanna throw money at somebody and have it just work. Same idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 pm 

Napalm Man wrote:
Are they arguably taking advantage of people not-so-good at computers? Probably. But, anybody I pay to change my oil is taking advantage of me not really getting cars all that much, which is fine. I don't wanna fuck around with cars, I wanna throw money at somebody and have it just work. Same idea.

And this is why you are a flawed human being who is living in an outdated society that thrives on stifling the individual. You NEED to break away from these false and incorrect beliefs. The modern world exists solely as a corporate fueled economic-centric orgy that takes advantage of people who are too compliant to open their eyes and see the TRUE world that exists which is taking advantage of their every desire to be lazy.

You say you just want to throw money at a problem to make it go away but what you fail to realize is throwing money only continues to fuel this ever growing problem of greed and disillusionment that the hoarding masses desire. People WANT their problems to go away instead of solving them which is why avarice infused businessmen exist. The sloth of the common drone is the problem which creates every negative aspect of what passes for civilization in our times. This is why Steve Jobs is dead. This is why are country is falling into a toilet. It is all because technology is being given to untrained ignorant fools who couldn't operate a light switch instead of the wealth of artistic creative minds who should be unfettered and unrestrained to do anything they want to broaden their minds.

Jobs, and by extension Apple, have only existed to steal money away from clueless masses and further restrict those few individuals who are able to look past them and see the true world which is nothing but a bleak existence of fools who shackle the creative might by forcing them to adhere to outdated and archaic dogma. Simple to use computers are pointless because true technology should enlighten us to a point where dreams of artists can be achieved and not be wasted by blindly following routine and forced to work to service of those same clueless idiots.

This message brought to you by sleepy :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:53 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:15 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:

And this is why you are a flawed human being who is living in an outdated society that thrives on stifling the individual. You NEED to break away from these false and incorrect beliefs. The modern world exists solely as a corporate fueled economic-centric orgy that takes advantage of people who are too compliant to open their eyes and see the TRUE world that exists which is taking advantage of their every desire to be lazy.

You say you just want to throw money at a problem to make it go away but what you fail to realize is throwing money only continues to fuel this ever growing problem of greed and disillusionment that the hoarding masses desire. People WANT their problems to go away instead of solving them which is why avarice infused businessmen exist. The sloth of the common drone is the problem which creates every negative aspect of what passes for civilization in our times. This is why Steve Jobs is dead. This is why are country is falling into a toilet. It is all because technology is being given to untrained ignorant fools who couldn't operate a light switch instead of the wealth of artistic creative minds who should be unfettered and unrestrained to do anything they want to broaden their minds.

Jobs, and by extension Apple, have only existed to steal money away from clueless masses and further restrict those few individuals who are able to look past them and see the true world which is nothing but a bleak existence of fools who shackle the creative might by forcing them to adhere to outdated and archaic dogma. Simple to use computers are pointless because true technology should enlighten us to a point where dreams of artists can be achieved and not be wasted by blindly following routine and forced to work to service of those same clueless idiots.

Snifit with the cold voice of truth S1eepy out of left field.

uh, just out of interest, are you saying pancreatic cancer would be cured by now if america had it's priorities right?
it's a pity about $180,000 shot directly into the bloodstream only cures AIDS, huh?

I'll be interested to see how Apple Evangelism transforms to deal without him, but from right now it looks like he's sent Apple down a road that won't be turned back on until the company is in ruins again. a new 1984 ad campaign would be hilarious.

For the record Napalm, I learn to do my own mechanics, electronics, crafting, etc because i'm not developmentally challenged and it is far cheaper, more rewarding and less time consuming to do things for yourself. There's nothing to it, I just set objectives and then accomplish them.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:33 pm 

It was a faux rant in the vein of how discussions always turn into rants against conforming to society to show how ridiculous that always becomes.

The basic fact is this, a man died. None of us knew him but we were all touched by things he did, otherwise we wouldn't be feeling emotions about it. The world lost another soul. Nothing more. Nothing less. Everyone has a right to grieve or not grieve. If you choose not to grieve that's fine but don't say anything against those that have chosen to grieve, as they are only exercising the same right that you have.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:48 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Surely most of us are mature enough to have this conversation without resorting to either fanboyism or inverse-fanboyism.

The fact of the matter is, the man has had a lot of public negative critism, both from within and without of his companies - this is true of a lot of millionaires, but he is clearly a special case. His loudest contribution to the world was for iCrap, in the form of religious terminology, and the repackaging of old technology labelled with lofty ideals that no product could ever live up to.

The man was a manipulator, and a rich one at that. Why on earth should we respect him when all he would have thought of us as is sheep with wallets?

Again to Napalm: The iPod scroll wheel and the iPad and iPhone touch screens are not intuitive to use. Don't put Apple computers user-friendliness in the same boat as Steve Jobs - since he took over they have tended to go for alternatives to the norm over the purest simplicity.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

gimp wrote:
Surely most of us are mature enough to have this conversation without resorting to either fanboyism or inverse-fanboyism.

iCrap