neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:28 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

So I'm looking at finally replacing my '80 Camaro as a car to get me to and from work every day with something a little more...modern. So far, the choices are down to a Mazda3 or a '09-10 VW GTI. Kinda leaning towards the GTI, as a few others in my family have had VWs in the past without much problems. Knowledge or opinions of either car would be fantastical. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:34 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

if you have the money to throw: go for electric if its viable in your area. using gasoline as a fuel seems beyond retarded these days. we haven't needed it for a long time. lots of people still want to milk that industry for all its worth.

not to mention an electric motor has way the fuck more torque than a gas or diesel engine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

S1eepy wrote:
if you have the money to throw: go for electric if its viable in your area. using gasoline as a fuel seems beyond retarded these days. we haven't needed it for a long time. lots of people still want to milk that industry for all its worth.

not to mention an electric motor has way the fuck more torque than a gas or diesel engine.

I don't know much about cars but i hear the Prius gets really good mileage. Ford also just announced a plug-in hybrid, i forget what it was called, that's going to get 100 miles to the gallon. No price announced yet, but I'd look into it if it turns out to be fairly affordable and if/when my current car craps out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

The Nissan Leaf runs about 35k. Comes with a 3-year "anywhere you run out of juice" warranty that will tow your car home for free no matter where you happen to lose power. Goes about 101 miles per charge. Each charge takes about $2, supposedly. Was going to test drive it, but only had time to sit in the thing for a few minutes and play with the buttons. The thing is a fucking space-ship.

However, I don't like that the car doesn't have a gasoline backup. Unless you have another mode of transportation, the Leaf is not recommended for anything besides commuting or going around town. The volt, on the other hand, holds a 10-gallon backup tank for distance travel and still gets 35 mpg after the charge runs out (which will last 50 miles on a full charge). This one will supposedly cost about 42k after all the items that need to be installed in your garage.

All-in-all, I'd wait about 2 years on the electric. Go for whatever you can get that's most reliable. VW's run for fucking ever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:09 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

If long lasting is what you're concerned about and not so much looking like a cool dude while in your car, Civics are pretty damn nice. I drive a 95, and the little thing just an absolute trooper.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:22 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Nameless88 wrote:
If long lasting is what you're concerned about and not so much looking like a cool dude while in your car, Civics are pretty damn nice. I drive a 95, and the little thing just an absolute trooper.

2005, and besides basic maintenance and a couple blown tires, not a damn thing has ever gone wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I drive a '98 civic, and it's been fairly reliable. I do want to go electric as soon as I can afford it, though.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

A Mini Cooper S Hardtop and a Mitsubishi Lancer have not been added to the list. I'm all for environmental awareness, but electric cars are slightly out of my price range. Not to mention I tend to travel quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

chevy volt? 50 miles to the charge doesnt seem that impressive if its already getting 35 per gallon of gas. you're getting less than the equivelant of 2 gallons of gas by using the electric. Sure it probably adds up over time, but it doesn't seem worth it with a 42k price tag.

I really want to wait and see how much Ford's hybrid will cost. Luckily my grand am should do perfectly fine for another 5 years or so at least, provided i keep up with maintenance. Maybe by the time I need a new car, electric will be standard and affordable. Or we'll have flying cars.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Questions: What's your price range, and what do you like in a car? Like, for me: I buy cars strictly on practicality, I've never seen a point in having a particularly sporty car. But, it looks like your priorities might be a bit different.

Going gas-free would be cool and all, but as you said, you travel a lot. Unless you've got a good way to recharge every hundred miles, you're probably outta luck there. I just did a 500-mile trip, and man, when you're cruising down the interstate in the middle o' nowhere, electric is definitely a no-go. It sucks ass that we've got <100miles down pat (cars, even electric), and anything over 500 down pat (via flying), but it seems like between 100 and 500 miles totally sucks ass. You're either paying too much to fly or stuck driving for way too long. But I digress.

Sidenote/digression: why the fuck isn't there a train from Jacksonville to New Orleans? Man. That sounds like it'd be really useful and totally kick ass)

So, going with used cars in general: can't beat a corolla or volvo. Again, practicality.

If you want distance AND wanna raise environmental awareness, you could go nuts and make a vegetable oil car.

Warning: I will freely and openly admit that I'm totally talking out of my ass here and have no experience at this whatsoever.

That aside, it looks like you could get a diesel Jetta for about 8-10k and get the greasecar kit for like 2k. I have no idea what's involved in installing this thing. What's cool about this is, you can still just run on regular diesel, so if you go on a long trip, you're not totally fucked.

I've heard those things make you smell like french fries, though.

Again, I'm totally talking out of my ass and know next to nothing about cars, but this seems like a cool idea to a complete layperson like me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

xero256 wrote:
A Mini Cooper S Hardtop and a Mitsubishi Lancer have not been added to the list. I'm all for environmental awareness, but electric cars are slightly out of my price range. Not to mention I tend to travel quite a bit.

for me; it has nothing to do with environmental awareness. it has to do with shitty business practices.

castrating innovation so a few people can log a new high score in their bank account.

my dad had told me about a news story that made a few waves back in the 70s.
a canadian man had come up with a new style of fuel injector.
this thing was so efficient that he was able to get over 300 miles per gallon out of a gasoline engine.
shortly after the headlines were made he was bought out for a ridiculous sum of money and his injector never saw production.

http://www.byronwine.com/files/ShellP222.pdf.pdf
in 1976 1141MPG. i don't give a fuck what the restrictions on it were; don't you think we could have done SOMETHING with that by now?
we're simulating black holes now for fucks sake. our nations interests clearly do not consider the citizen.
at all.

this is how america operates.
we're lied to and wanked around so often we accept it as common place.
how fucking sad are we?
what narcissistic cowards we've become.
maybe i can catch that new episode of super sweet 16.
or listen to that cool new song where some dude tells me how cool he is.
for 12 tracks straight. super cool, dude.
why don't you tell me about all of the things you've fucked next album?

but no. . . we won't do anything about it will we?
that would be toilsome.
lets all go back to playing Arm Chair Commander.
or perhaps Couch Surfer Xtreme (for the Xbox crowd).
examining the world we live in is frightening.
i can't recommend it. we might make some progress if we did.

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:53 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
xero256 wrote:

for me; it has nothing to do with environmental awareness. it has to do with shitty business practices.

castrating innovation so a few people can log a new high score in their bank account.

my dad had told me about a news story that made a few waves back in the 70s.
a canadian man had come up with a new style of fuel injector.
this thing was so efficient that he was able to get over 300 miles per gallon out of a gasoline engine.
shortly after the headlines were made he was bought out for a ridiculous sum of money and his injector never saw production.

http://www.byronwine.com/files/ShellP222.pdf.pdf
in 1976 1141MPG. i don't give a fuck what the restrictions on it were; don't you think we could have done SOMETHING with that by now?
we're simulating black holes now for fucks sake. our nations interests clearly do not consider the citizen.
at all.

this is how america operates.
we're lied to and wanked around so often we accept it as common place.
how fucking sad are we?
what narcissistic cowards we've become.
maybe i can catch that new episode of super sweet 16.
or listen to that cool new song where some dude tells me how cool he is.
for 12 tracks straight. super cool, dude.
why don't you tell me about all of the things you've fucked next album?

but no. . . we won't do anything about it will we?
that would be toilsome.
lets all go back to playing Arm Chair Commander.
or perhaps Couch Surfer Xtreme (for the Xbox crowd).
examining the world we live in is frightening.
i can't recommend it. we might make some progress if we did.

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/

Dude's lookin' for practical advice on purchasing a car so he can continue functioning in the society he's living in.

Also:
That website you linked to wrote:
What you are about to read is true and will shock you.
Without your knowledge, you were stolen from your parents at birth and automatically became the judicial property of a commercial company pretending to be your government.

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapt15.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

ah hahahahaha oh my god

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

I love the handling of the 3, but the GTI seriously pulls.

Or buy a Miata for a few K, they're a blast and will go forever. Cheap to keep alive.

DO NOT BUY AN EXPENSIVE CAR IT WILL NOT GET YOU LAID AND DEBT IS SLAVERY 4 srs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:57 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Fallout wrote:
DO NOT BUY AN EXPENSIVE CAR IT WILL NOT GET YOU LAID AND DEBT IS SLAVERY 4 srs.

This.

Buy a little riceburner beater car for a couple hundred, then save up and buy a new car with cash in a few years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:41 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba