neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

This is probably one of the neatest things I have seen in a long time and I wanted to share it with my fellow Neskimites!

http://www.udacity.com

Here is their About Us Info:

We believe university-level education can be both high quality and low cost. Using the economics of the Internet, we've connected some of the greatest teachers to hundreds of thousands of students in almost every country on Earth. Udacity was founded by three roboticists who believed much of the educational value of their university classes could be offered online for very low cost. A few weeks later, over 160,000 students in more than 190 countries enrolled in our first class, "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence." The class was twice profiled by the New York Times and also by other news media. Now we're a growing team of educators and engineers, on a mission to change the future of education

This was a venture started by David Stavens, Mike Sokolsky, and Sebastian Thrun.

I just signed up for their Intro to Programming How to Build a Search Engine course. Seems pretty badass and I hope to see more classes get added in the future!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I love the premise. I really think education should be FREE - the quasi privatized system lets way too many people slip through the cracks due to overwhelming disadvantages. However, to be taken seriously they will need to gain accreditation and build a really good reputation. I really hope that happens and that they expand their topics. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sanctusorium wrote:
I love the premise. I really think education should be FREE - the quasi privatized system lets way too many people slip through the cracks due to overwhelming disadvantages. However, to be taken seriously they will need to gain accreditation and build a really good reputation. I really hope that happens and that they expand their topics. ;)

to be honest: accreditation means fuck all to me. i'd rather see them make their push without ever becoming accredited as a fuck you to the current educational system. sort of a ''this is no longer a system worthy of respect". because, frankly, the current archetype of the educational system is pretty abysmal. its 3/4 political 1/4 learning. that's not education; its indoctrination.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:12 am 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Sanctusorium wrote:

Rather then bother with accreditation they seem to be selling their services to employers. Basically a company can pay to get access to their highly trained and specialized student body to offer them jobs. Google, Twitter, and a few others have all gotten on board for this access.

Also they are adding physical testing centers where you can go and, for a nominal fee, pay to get a real certification in whatever subject / topic you test for.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:29 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Stomphoof wrote:
Sanctusorium wrote:

Rather then bother with accreditation they seem to be selling their services to employers. Basically a company can pay to get access to their highly trained and specialized student body to offer them jobs. Google, Twitter, and a few others have all gotten on board for this access.

Also they are adding physical testing centers where you can go and, for a nominal fee, pay to get a real certification in whatever subject / topic you test for.

really neat.

hold on you your pants guys. . .

*sleepy thinks this is a good thing*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:02 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

that's pretty cool. pity it's all robots and maths and shit.

http://www.compass-education.co.uk/open ... duct_id=61
This is what I'll be doing if I can ever afford it. I don't actually have another option for a definitive canine behaviour course, and I don't have the time, resources, or desire to study animal behaviour.
everyone should just start an everything-is-always-free-for-dave initiative. that'd work.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house