neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Going into business
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i'm just going to throw it out there: arcade health club. membership dues for X hours a month; no coin-op. think about it: you know this one would fly.

i'm intending to do this if i ever get around to creating my VR system.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:37 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

There is a place by the Hippo called The Rhino that does like a gaming thing.

I'd keep an eye on them, and see how they do. I haven't been inside yet, so I don't know exactly what they have. But, still, I think they're kind of what you have in mind, at least halfway.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

why do you want a shop? if you want to do a retail kiosk/stall thing, sell things online. most people i know are addicted to ebay or a shopping website.
imo provide a service, don't be a tertiary seller

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

gimp wrote:
why do you want a shop? do retail online, you won't have rent and a much larger client base. most of the people i know are addicted to ebay or some other shopping website.

Yup.

Here's my problem : I'm severely fucking lazy. If I don't have a location to go to at a set time, I'll put it off forever.

Now, if my income was dependent on it, I might move a little faster, and it's a definite possibility that it might be coming soon, so we'll see how that goes. My general desire for a shop, as well, is that I actually like customer service. I would be great managing guest relations at a hotel or something, as I love working with people. Working at the gas station was one of my favorite times at a job, not just because it was easy, but I met a shit-ton of interesting people.

True, some of them were crack heads, but there were a lot of highway patrol guys that hung out, long distance truckers, and travelers of all shapes and sizes who hung out in the store. Everyone had a story, and I liked listening to them. That's the reason I kinda want a shop.

The online thing, yeah I'm doing that right now, but I want to get a physical business somewhere too. Something I would actually have to visit and manage, cuz I can turn off ebay with a flick of a couple switches...

In fact, I did that a few weeks ago when I went on vacation. Still haven't turned it back on yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

LocrianDm wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
I think downtown St. Augustine is a really tough market to crack, but a sandwich and smoothie/coffee shop would be your best bet. Think about how many places there are to eat in downtown, and then think about how many actually sell a good sandwich. If someone opened up a sandwich shop that could crank out cold subs as fast as Jimmy John's, it could do some serious biz. Add in smoothies and iced coffee and you're money. Minimal seating, no Sega, no booze (for now), fast food. Boom.

Yup. You're talking about a little place called "Cousin's" that used to be on St. George street. Place was always hoppin when I went in there, from the time I was 8 until I lost interest in downtown (after highschool? /shrugs). Don't know why it went under eventually, but they had fast, good sandwiches and cherry limeade. Only place in town I remember you could get limeade.

Problem with that area though, is the rent. Tiny space goes for thousands a month.

Dude, I practically worked at Cuzzin's during high school. Two of my best friends actually did work there, and I hung out there almost every day. They ended up going out of business because of rent being jacked up repeatedly, and losing a lot of their business at the same time. It was pretty fucked, because they had been there for years, and it was a family business, run by really great people.

I wish there was still a place like theirs anywhere near downtown. It seems like if you could keep it simple enough, it would catch on like crazy. Instead of having to worry about hot food, keep it like Jimmy Johns and just do cold subs and salads. The only thing time consuming would be making shakes or smoothies or limeades (Good god, I miss Cuzzin's cherry limeades). Get people in and out quick during lunch and dinner. Then, get ready for a curveball, transition to a dive bar after 8 p.m. Serve beer and cheap wine, maybe clear a corner for a band, have a ball.

Added bonus, cover the walls in local art, possibly made with your bead thingy, and sell that crap for a small amount.

I feel like there's good ideas in here somewhere, we just need to work them out. Also, someone bring me a cherry limeade.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:18 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

S1eepy wrote:
i'm just going to throw it out there: arcade health club. membership dues for X hours a month; no coin-op. think about it: you know this one would fly.

i'm intending to do this if i ever get around to creating my VR system.

I like this idea. Though, if you REALLY want it to be successful, open it near an asian area of town and make sure you have DDR and Percussionfreaks and InitialD, seems to keep the arcades around here in business.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:08 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

How are card/game/comic shops in your area?

Why not open a comic shop / board&card game shop that maybe you can afford a liquor license for and make it all like "Hey come and play in some magic tourneys or Catan / Small World games and buy a beer while hanging with friends."?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:11 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

nothing will make someone into an idiot faster than beer and tv.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:43 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Idiots tend to spend money easier...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:33 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
nothing will make someone into an idiot faster than a bear.

agreed

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:53 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Retail is an awful, awful way to make money. Because you can't.

Better to develop a skill that is valuable to other business and then sell it to them (consulting, services, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Fallout wrote:
Retail is an awful, awful way to make money. Because you can't.

Better to develop a skill that is valuable to other business and then sell it to them (consulting, services, etc.)

that too.

I'm also looking into tutoring again on the side. Was making $25 an hour before I finished up school, so maybe I can break into a higher tier now.

As far as retail goes though, it can certainly be profitable. just have to find the right niche.

Example : my dad used to sell fireworks during the summer. He explained all the ways it wouldn't work here in florida, and I tend to agree. He had one big advantage - he was a cop in D.C. He knew just who to get in touch with for the permits at just the right time of year, and on top of that, Fireworks are illegal in D.C. except for like 3 weeks before the 4th, so the market was fucking killer when he had the stands up. With a $4,000 investment, he made over $30,000 his last year.

So if I could find something like that down here (like setting up when the Pope supposedly comes and sell "altar" candles that I make in the plaza in front of the cathedral) then there's a good chance I could get something good going.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i'm pushing ahead with a kickstarter project. a card game; proven to have a pretty solid base. working through patent bs and numbers. have some tweaking to do after some more minor testing. once that shit is done: crash; you're getting a rough prototype, locarian can share with nameless, and bogey will also. these will be hand made; i'd like to not have to crank out more than 3 more. i know this is your thing. i'll use that feedback to take another look; maybe open it up for one more round if it's still lacking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

S1eepy wrote:
i'm pushing ahead with a kick starter project. a card game; proven to have a pretty solid base. working through patent bs and numbers. have some tweaking to do after some more minor testing. once that shit is done: crash; you're getting a rough prototype, locarian can share with nameless, and bogey will also. i know this is your thing. i'll use that feedback to take another look; maybe open it up for one more round if it's still lacking.

I've been kicking around an idea of a board game, actually. A card game as well. I'll gladly play-test yours when you get it up and running too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:27 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
i'm pushing ahead with a kick starter project. a card game; proven to have a pretty solid base. working through patent bs and numbers. have some tweaking to do after some more minor testing. once that shit is done: crash; you're getting a rough prototype, locarian can share with nameless, and bogey will also. i know this is your thing. i'll use that feedback to take another look; maybe open it up for one more round if it's still lacking.

I've been kicking around an idea of a board game, actually. A card game as well. I'll gladly play-test yours when you get it up and running too.

as would i. if you follow it through; joining forces might not be out of the question. i'm done fucking about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

S1eepy wrote:
LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

as would i. if you follow it through; joining forces might not be out of the question. i'm done fucking about.

good idea. Let's follow through with our own projects and swap / play test. Maybe we make gaming company...

Sleepy Samurai games presents : A board game that doesn't suck!

(my avatar used to be a kobold samurai...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

good idea. Let's follow through with our own projects and swap / play test. Maybe we make gaming company...

I demand that you title the game "A board game that doesn't suck!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:42 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
LocrianDm wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

I demand that you title the game "A board game that doesn't suck!"

that would be funnier if there weren't so many amazing ones.

also: if we do: i'd like to do more of a conglomeration than a single business. we shall call that conglomeration Legion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 pm 
KSK Mastermind

im working on a board game too :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:46 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I think this idea is much more doable than the others. As long as we all get on board with some non disclosure contracts and patent our ideas correctly... You can get about 100,000 cards printed for a couple hundred bucks.

Also, "A Board Game That Doesn't Suck" was actually my first idea for a name. I think I might go with that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

LocrianDm wrote:
I think this idea is much more doable than the others. As long as we all get on board with some non disclosure contracts and patent our ideas correctly... You can get about 100,000 cards printed for a couple hundred bucks.

Also, "A Board Game That Doesn't Suck" was actually my first idea for a name. I think I might go with that.

Uhhh...I think that might be a game?

I know there's one called We Didn't Playtest This, haha.

Also, dude, kickstarter project for it. If it's a good idea, you can get some solid backings for it. Cards Against Humanity rocked the house on that shit.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Nameless88 wrote:
LocrianDm wrote:

Uhhh...I think that might be a game?

I know there's one called We Didn't Playtest This, haha.

Also, dude, kickstarter project for it. If it's a good idea, you can get some solid backings for it. Cards Against Humanity rocked the house on that shit.

Now THAT... Is an awesome idea. Checking out hte site now

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

i sell sperm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

That's actually not a bad idea either... To bad the nearest place around here is Orlando.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:31 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I've heard it's actually really difficult to qualify to donate semen, and also that in order to do so you have to not cum for like, two weeks before each donation. Not my lifestyle, sorry.