neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Going into business
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

While difficult I think opening a brick&mortar business isn't terrible. I, personally, have been working up everything I'd need to start a card/comic/game shop. It's something I enjoy and could be around for a long period of time without wanting to kill anyone. Stress? Yeah. Worthwhile stress? I think so.

If you want your own business find something you enjoy and see if a market exists. If you enjoy gaming in all of its forms and there aren't too many shops...take the shot. Hell, turn that into a bar / hangout place and who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Yeah, problem is that there's not enough of a market for that in this area. Jax has several of those places, most of which I hear tell are not very profitable. Like, just enough to stay in business but not much more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:06 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
Yeah, problem is that there's not enough of a market for that in this area. Jax has several of those places, most of which I hear tell are not very profitable. Like, just enough to stay in business but not much more.

right; which is why you don't want a store. if people want something specific: order it offline. you can always get hold of a rep to get distributor pricing.
what you want is space. conference room type areas people can rent out for regular sessions. then you're not pigeon holing yourself into exclusively gaming related profits. something like this could easily have a bar room. oh look; a business meeting went long: fuck yes i want some beer. you'd still get to pick who and what, but it opens things up a little more. you cater to who you want. you get gamers: you get them games. you get crazy sex parties: you get them lube. you want more of a specific group: host events, run promos, ect. also great for lans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Been working on my ebay and etsy inventory lately. Gonna have business cards in soon as well. Gonna have a lot more time to work on this too, what with getting laid off and all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 am 
KSK Mastermind

you got laid off?! wtf!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:52 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Crashman wrote:
you got laid off?! wtf!

ugh, sorry bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:03 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Fallout wrote:
Crashman wrote:
you got laid off?! wtf!

ugh, sorry bro

Yeah, they've delayed it by over 2 weeks now. Whoever made the call really didn't think it through. They even offered me casual every day these last two weeks and full pay even though I'm out of the officce for half days at least one a week for doctors stuff for baby and trying to find a new job. We were in the middle of a huge project and no one knows all the stuff that I know how to work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

LocrianDm wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Crashman wrote:
you got laid off?! wtf!

ugh, sorry bro

Yeah, they've delayed it by over 2 weeks now. Whoever made the call really didn't think it through. They even offered me casual every day these last two weeks and full pay even though I'm out of the officce for half days at least one a week for doctors stuff for baby and trying to find a new job. We were in the middle of a huge project and no one knows all the stuff that I know how to work.

So, and update to this situation. I ran into a guy I used to work with, not actually an employee of the company but with another that works closely with them, and he just rolled his eyes and told me "Man, those guys are INSANE!" I asked him what he meant and he wouldn't answer, but made it sound like they were doing some crazy shit. I'm glad I was the first in the round of layoffs, cuz apparently a lot more came after that. I really think they're getting ready to sell the company.

But, GOOD NEWS! Not only am I gainfully employed with real leads coming in and paychecks on the way, I just got my first round of inventory up on E-bay for my Lego resales!

Lego themselves denied my wholesale application, mostly because they're just out of stock with nearly everything around the holidays, but I think I have a good chance at getting a real account in February or March. In the mean time, I'm shopping around online and at various retail locations and buying in bulk to get better rates. It's not something that will pay my bills yet, but it's a big start!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

If you become a lego retailer I shall easily order and buy any legos I need from you. There is this really little guy I know who is getting near the age where legos are a cool toy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Win.

Right now I'm just buying packs on sale and breaking them open to sell the mini's. I'll have more soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:01 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

LocrianDm wrote:
Win.

Right now I'm just buying packs on sale and breaking them open to sell the mini's. I'll have more soon.

So, and update on this for everyone.

It's working, very slowly.

I have over $2,000 in sales over the last two months, with only $1,800 in original seed money, all on credit so it was nothing out of pocket. I still have over $1,800 for sale as well.

After e-bay fees and shipping and everything, that's about $1,400 in profit. However, since money was so tight right now, I haven't paid off the cards yet, instead I've been paying bills with it.

So good news is, I'm getting a shit-ton of sales, much more than I expected in such a short time. Bad news is, can't re-invest any of it yet until bills are paid. Either way, it's going better than I expected.

To everyone who had similar ideas and ambitions to start doing something you love : I'm proof that it can fucking work! If I didn't have the bills to pay right now, I'd have over $4,000 in inventory stockpiled and would probably double my sales this month. I did all of this legally without breaking any shipping laws or regulations, and I did NOT get an account with Lego yet. If you want to do something, just fucking do it. Don't let the haters (and I have several) distract you. I did mine all on a small credit card that I haven't used in years, and the monthly bill is only $25 until I can pay it off completely.

To all those haters (not you guys, but others that have been telling me it won't work) out there:

Suck the fattest part of my Lego selling dick, bitches!

Now I just have to start making good money at my job so I can pay off the original and get more inventory...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:25 pm 
KSK Mastermind

so explain to me why you needed the credit card to start doing this. didnt you just like, go to wal mart, grab some lego boxes, buy em, get the mini figs and sell em?

explain for me, as... well it sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

now i just need $1800 seed money OH WAIT

jerk. i will totally buy my kids lego off you, but i expect a discount :coookieesssss:

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:32 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Crash - Didn't want to put cash up front for it.

Gimp - A discount would mean retail prices, cuz that's what I paid for them :coookieesssss:

I would still need seed money to actually get the account with Lego, so I'm just selling overpriced minis to people in countries where they don't distribute for now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:39 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

nigga please we have mega bloks. i'll be hitting you up in a few years.

also: that is actually a sweet business model, i was wondering about demand, good stuff.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

gimp wrote:
nigga please we have mega bloks. i'll be hitting you up in a few years.

also: that is actually a sweet business model, i was wondering about demand, good stuff.

yeah, shit's a little crazy on there. You can buy a pack for $13 with three mini's, and one of them will sell for $14 without any of the other pieces. People are insane, man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Good luck Locrian. Good luck indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 am 
The so-called robot with admin powers

Stomphoof wrote:
Good luck Locrian. Good luck indeed.

what he said

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:17 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Considering I am looking to get into the Game Reselling business (via ebay and possibly a flea market stall once a month) I figured giving the Karma means I might get some Karma :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Wow, I had completely forgot about this thread. No one had posted in almost a year. So UPDATE!

Total sales for 2013 were $4,050, but my cost was $3,500, so since I made less than $600 profit I don't need to claim it.

I still have over $3,000 in inventory, however, so if it keeps on selling, I will most likely have to claim it this year.

Also, the candle business is picking up. I have 2 stores selling my wares now, and I'm putting them up on ebay / etsy again.

In addition, I've opened up a Bricklink store. I only have 1 mini-figure up there right now, but I'm going to have a ton more in the near future. Store name is Lots By Locrian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:38 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

UPDATE!

I think I can finally consider myself "self-employed." I made enough to pay the bills this month, so WOOT!

Selling candles and Lego on ebay, candles on Etsy, and both of them at the local flea market. Also, went to Megacon and sold over $800 of Lego to dealers (as well as a few other random items). The market for Lego at the flea market is actually really good. About 50% of the kids that walk by buy something, which is a surprisingly high number. I told myself that if I could average over $100 a day out there, it would be worth coming back. My average is $130 and I had a $200 + day on Sunday.

Oh, also, starting another endeavor with my dad. Going to be picking up recycling for some local scrap yards / dumps. First client is likely to be the apartments in which we live. Since I'm not directly disposing of said trash, I don't need any additional licenses either.

Additionally also, I have a PT job answering a phone in the evenings during the week. It's really easy.

WOOT! So glad to be employed again.