neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

It’s a thought that’s been on my mind now since the close of Nerdapalooza.

While the bands who played there may not be as famous as say a movie star or a big name rock band, in our community of Video Game Nerds and VG Music lovers, they are famous enough.

So how do they handle it?

I started wondering this after I met Dr Wily, the lead guitarist of the NESkimos in person. On the official forums, he has been mostly absent during my time. I happened to have joined the forums right when the NESkimos were going on their 5 year break, and during my time there he was absent as far as I could tell. I know that plenty of the forum members had met him in person during the shows in St Augustine before my time, and even were on a first name basis with him and the other band members, but for me to meet him in person…

It threw me off. And yes, I actually did initiate the conversation. Don’t ask me why. I guess I had a sudden urge to make myself look like an idiot. FAILHOOF MODE GO GO.

When I told him my forum name and he recognized me, however, I had no idea how to react honestly.

But at the same time I wonder what was going through his head. Was it “Who is this guy that’s bothering me while I smoke?” Was it “oh great another rabid fan?” His outward appearance once I mentioned my name was that of a super friendly guy. I am FAIRLY certain that he, along with Bruce and Dylan, genuinely were happy to see a fan, and given that Wily actually stood there discussing some of his hopes and plans for the Orlando nerd community with myself and Brou as well as taking a picture with me (at his request with his camera), says to me that he is actually a really nice guy.

It got me thinking. Some fans idolize these guys, but they are people just like you and me. They have day jobs, hopes, dreams, and fears just like us. But at the same time…I just am not sure what to think of them, and how to handle meeting them.

My first example of this.

I was in the Subway near the venue on Saturday night, prior to the Metroid Metal stuff. And in line, standing in front of me, is Brentalfloss. When I realized it I couldn’t help but call him out. Thankfully the place was empty, and he didn’t seem super bothered. But at the same time he seemed uncomfortable to have been noticed. I left him alone after that, and he went and got himself some Sun Chips.

Sunchips are tasty.

Here is another great example.

Wily, for whatever reason that I have yet to fathom, invited me and Brou (my friend Dan) to go to this Beer Pong Tourney / Afterparty thing. I was honestly surprised and honored by such an offer and after some thought I let him know that we were game. At least for the hanging out part (I don’t and can’t drink, personally)

However, when I got to the room I was told to go to, Wily was no where to be found. When the door was opened and I was staring at the band members of Metroid Metal, for the briefest instant I worried that Wily had set me up to make a fool out of myself. Again, I had no idea what to think in this situation. And just to be clear: Wily never did show up before I left at Midnight, an hour and a half after I got to the room. I have no idea if he showed up later, although on my way out I did catch Dylan and let him know what room the beer pong was in.

Thankfully. I discovered that the Metroid Metal guys were all really cool and once I managed to explain to them how I found out about the party, they seemed to accept me and Brou and we hung out for about an hour. Brou chatted with the bassist and another guy (who turned out to be very similar to us, not part of any band but apparently knew and were friends with the Metroid Metal guys)

I ended up spending most of my time talking to the artist for the band, FoxxDragon. I learned that all the guys had day jobs. One was a pharm tech. FoxxDragon was actually a game animator. And so forth. We ended up even going with them up to the beer pong room and hanging out for a bit there before leaving because there was simply TOO MANY PEOPLE.

However, when Day 2 came along I had no idea how to act around them. Was I an acquaintance? Would they even remember who I was? Why would they? As they pointed out a few times, I was an unknown no name guy. Which is true.

I didn’t want to seem a pest either.

So I basically stayed away from the ones I saw. That is of course till I ran into them at the Danimal Cannon show. And surprise, the guys didn’t seem to bothered by our presence and actually stood around and chatted with us again. I actually chatted about Danimal with the keyboardist of Arm Cannon, whose name I do not remember.

But I still wonder in my head…….how do they think of me? Just another sycophant trying to get into their good graces?

Next I could mention the guys from Random Encounter. Now the guitarist who wears the bandanna always seems to be running around in the crowd, and is generally very approachable. He also seems very earnest and friendly. But the rest of the band? Not so much. Although I did meet and chat briefly with the other guitarist and the bassist of RE, and they gave me high fives (for some reason I have yet to figure out)

Its feelings like these that make me avoid the merch tables and “meet n greets”. I don’t WANT the band members to think of me as some crazy desperate fan, because I am not. I respect their work, but I don’t put them on a pedestal. And I really don’t want them to look down on me as some sort of nut job. And at the same time, I don’t want to deal with the obsessive fans.

Its weird the thoughts that go through my head huh.

Now how does this time in to how do THEY handle fame? Well, I imagine that they must have similar thoughts running through their heads.

Just think about it. They are there to entertain us, and in some cases they depend on us for their livelihood. But what kind of thoughts are running through their heads as they stand on that stage?

I recall something Dylan (the bass player for the NESkimos) said to me while he was onstage for the sound check. I called out and sarcastically had said that he appeared enthused. When in reality to me he looked kind of nervous. The response I got?

“I am just taking it all in.” He said this while looking out over the concert floor. And his voice had a hint of nervousness in it.

It’s a real fear I would expect. If they mess up during a set (any act) they can possibly piss off the crowd. Just look at the MC Chris stuff that’s been happening lately.

Furthermore, I wonder what goes on in the heads of the band members when the meet a fan. Given the state of our society were stalking, violence, and craziness is all you ever hear about, its hard to not instantly assume that this person could be any one of those sorts of people. Yet you have to maintain at least a cordial appearance, or you could trigger that person. At the same time if you appear TOO friendly, you might get someone who takes it the wrong way.

And heaven forbid if you are a female band member, like the flautist or the guitarist in Descendants of Erdrick. Or the bassist in Random Encounter. Given that the majority of the nerd population in male, and, to be frank, the aforementioned females are VERY attractive, I can only imagine what goes in their heads. The flautist for example almost looked like a deer in the headlights when I ran into her during the Random Encounters set.

Its this intricate dance of strange social customs, and I hate it. There is a divide, a gulf, between fans and the bands in my opinion. Its this gulf of social status. How to handle each other. And I don’t think it needs to be there.

So here is my question, to those band folks who ACTUALLY read this:

What’s it like, being on that side of the divide? What runs through your head? What thoughts go on in there when you meet a fan?

And to those on my side, the onlooker side.

How do you react when you meet someone famous? How do you handle it? And what do you worry about?

I guess my insecurity about this stuff stems from the fact that this weekend, with all its insane meetings, was the first time something like this has happened to me.

And honestly I am fucking confused about the whole bloody thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:38 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Read a little more than half of that, will read the rest later, but for the most part I can relate as having the same questions.

First REAL star-struck moment I ever had was running into Adam Savage on the escalator at Dragon Con. I looked up and was internally like "HOLY FUCK!" So much so that I followed too closely and stepped on his shoe. I apologized quickly, let a calculated second pass, and then (knowing that he wore costumes at conventions) inquired jokingly

"Is that a costume, or is it really you?"

He replied with a joking smile,

"Oh, it's me!"

I proceeded to shake his hand, tell him that I loved his work (to which he kinda did a double take like I was the first person to EVER tell him this. DragonCon that year was apparently his first convention where he mingled with the con-goers) and asked at what time he would be doing his panel. He filled me in and I thanked him, and wished him a great convention. I didn't try to talk to him further because his wife was with him and I didn't want to be a bother.

Well, I go to the panel and, being so fucking star struck, plan on publicly inviting him to the Firefly party that night so that everyone can hang out and party with him. Panel goes long so it doesn't go as planned. Afterwards, I jump the barriers when everyone is leaving and talk to him briefly back stage where I tell him about the party (which he didn't seem to know about) and invite him on behalf of the fans. He accepted, seemingly flabbergasted that he was so popular.

Well, apparently about 50 people stopped him on the way back to the hotel and did the whole screaming fan thing. We were in the elevator to go back to our room when the door opened on the third floor and alone stood a solitary man. He looked up and saw the elevator was full and turned away. Then like the whole elevator exclaims, almost in unison "OH, THERE'S ROOM!!! GET IN, GET IN!!!" Now, he already looked rattled, but now I could tell he was just creeped the fuck out. 10 seconds of pure silence filled the elevator, Adam staring at the blank door the whole ride. When he got off, three of the guys in the elevator left to get their picture taken with them. Now, these three guys, I could tell they were dicks, and Adam was looking for an escape route at this point. So, as expected, he didn't show up at the party that night, nor anywhere else except for his scheduled appearances. The next year at DragonCon, he was never in the public areas that we could tell, and always had at least a couple of the con volunteers handy (not the usual ones either, but bigger guys in polo shirts). Still though, nicest fucking celebrity I ever met. He actually gave free autographs and took time to talk with everyone who got one, and posed for pictures.

Now, do I think that he viewed me as the screaming, creepy fan? No, but I'm certain that I was much more tactful than most of the people he ran into that were like that. Since then I've had a much more mindful approach to celebrities. I've tried to sense when they just didn't give a fuck and then I would make myself scarce (Gates Mcfadden, for example, was making it very clear she didn't want to talk to ANYONE at dragoncon last year, so I quietly fucked-off).

But yeah, I would love to know if I fit into that category of "Oh fuck, another one of these guys" or "hey, he was a pretty cool guy!" I know I'm in the better category when it comes to Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flannery and David Della Rocko, but that's because they kept talking to me and the wife until we actually had to say "we gotta go dudes." 3 of the coolest celebs ever, go buy every movie, TV show, spoken poetry album, whatever they make cuz they deserve to be rich. That's how cool they are.

Wow, that's a long post...

tl:dr - Yeah, what stomp asked. Also a Cool Story Bro about a few famous people I met.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Here's my thought process:

Nothing wrong with approaching somebody, saying "Hi, my name is so-and-so, and I'm a big fan of some thing you made." Having a brief conversation about mutual interests, related works, all that is great. Most people love getting feedback, positive feedback feels good.

Asking for a picture is probably annoying to them, but it entirely depends on what they're doing - if you're at an event doing a panel, you can expect to be accosted for pictures while walking around said event. If you ran into a celebrity like, out to lunch with his kid, y'know. Leave him alone. He's trying to have lunch with his kid. Maybe say "Hi there, I'm sorry to interrupt, I like this thing you did, just wanted to let you know, I'll let you get back to lunch," but that's about it.

Now, going up, inviting them to an event, whatever, is usually crossing a line - just because you like something they did/do doesn't mean you're suddenly friends now.

On the other hand, if you have what you think is a real, meaningful conversation, it can be OK to invite the person to a party. It's all about exercising judgement.

Think of it like this - they're strangers. Pretend they're not famous, and that the person is just another person, and keep the conversation comfortable given that situation. They're a complete stranger, don't go off telling your whole life story to somebody you don't know.

Pretend the person is just another fan of the NESkimos that you struck up a conversation with. If I met some fan at a show, talked with him a bunch, and thought he was cool - yeah, maybe I'd invite him to a party I'm about to head to.

If I talked to a guy for like, five seconds, and all I got out of it was that he likes the NESkimos, too - probably not gonna invite him to said party.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:28 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Interesting thoughts. Still not sure about this weekend but it helps put things in a bit of perspective.

I wouldnt say I was star struck, but it was a "holy shit all these famous people just talking and walking around and shit".

I am thinking that after this weekend I may just avoid approaching anyone remotely famous as I am too bloody nervous and worried that I will come off as some nutter >.>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 pm 
KSK Mastermind

typically, I just go up to someone, shake their hand, say hello, or that I am a big fan. That way I feel like i acknowledge that they are awesome. If they wish to say something to me or they aren't busy, i might try and spark up a lil conversation or something. Its all situational and weird.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Crashman wrote:
typically, I just go up to someone, shake their hand, say hello, or that I am a big fan. That way I feel like i acknowledge that they are awesome. If they wish to say something to me or they aren't busy, i might try and spark up a lil conversation or something. Its all situational and weird.

Yea....see I don't like feeling that way :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Napalm Man wrote:
Now, going up, inviting them to an event, whatever, is usually crossing a line - just because you like something they did/do doesn't mean you're suddenly friends now.

yup.

that's one of the reasons I liked Spooky Empire down in Orlando. The who convention is one giant drunken party on a resort with like 3 pools and a bar at each one. The guests just wander around and get drunk with the con-goers.

Favorite story from that convention is Gary Busey tongued some chick who asked him to take a picture. Afterwards she stated, very matter-of-factly,

"Gary Busey tastes like whiskey..."

At the convention the next year, this couple was telling me the story when she stops and goes,

"watch this... GARY BUSEY...?"

And several people in the crowd exclaimed

"TASTES LIKE WHISKEY!!!"

great convention....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Nerds are different, sirrrrrrrr.

They are like you and meeeee. Though I admit my experience is different because I met them before I heard their music.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I know Mario and Wily from the Neskimos pretty well, since I've followed their band for the last...what? 10 years, almost?

I introduced myself to the bass player over the weekend, but I felt kind of awkward, because I mean, I don't really know the guy. He seemed nice enough, though, I chatted with him a little bit, let him know that I've been a fan of the band since I was a teenager, they sounded awesome up there that night, etc. But I didn't engage him for very long, he was just there to watch Protomen, too, so I let him enjoy it.

From personal experience with Wily and Mario, I can tell you that they're actually sincerely really nice people, though. Fuck, at the show at Nobby's, Wily actually bought me a beer and pointed out that I'd made it to like every show they've done, even when I couldn't get inside and I'd sit out in the parking lot. He made a bar with about 50+ people cheer for me. So, yeah, for these guys? I'd say that they definitely care about their fans. I've seen Mario a few times outside of shows, and he's always really nice and engages in conversation.

Sorry if he ditched you to do something else, but I know a few times at ACC, we tried to get them to come to the game room and chill out, too, but they didn't show up. I'm guessing they had a lot of shit to take care of, so it probably wasn't anything personal. Also, nerdapalooza was like the biggest show that they've done since they've come back, so I'm guessing if anything went wrong, they were panicked like fucking crazy trying to fix it.

In terms of famous in general, I think a lot of people just seem pretty amazed that they're actually recognized and admired for what they do. I got to meet Jonathan Coulton at DragonCon a few years ago, and I told him that I really liked his show and he seemed to really enjoy what he was doing up there, and he just kinda laughed and went "Yeah, it's hard not to enjoy it."

So, I think a lot of people who are famous, they're really just grateful for it and enjoy it. But, have some courtesy, and don't be a dick and feel like they owe you something just because you like what they do, ya know?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Nameless88 wrote:
Sorry if he ditched you to do something else, but I know a few times at ACC, we tried to get them to come to the game room and chill out, too, but they didn't show up. I'm guessing they had a lot of shit to take care of, so it probably wasn't anything personal. Also, nerdapalooza was like the biggest show that they've done since they've come back, so I'm guessing if anything went wrong, they were panicked like fucking crazy trying to fix it.

Didn't mean to imply ditching but I was trying to be honest as to the fact that I was unaware of whether or not it was to mess with me. I am used to being messed with by people so its hard for me to get a handle on stuff like this.

Nameless88 wrote:
So, I think a lot of people who are famous, they're really just grateful for it and enjoy it. But, have some courtesy, and don't be a dick and feel like they owe you something just because you like what they do, ya know?

Never meant to say that they owed me anything at all! :O Unless you are saying that in a more general sense and not directed at me specifically.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Naah. Dude, that last part was meant generally, ya know?

Like "Hey, Jonathan Coulton! I heard you on Portal. We need to hang out, you bearded fuck!" :coookieesssss:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 am 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

I don't think you should feel weird about approaching famous people, unless you're interrupting them or interfering with some sort of larger goings-on. That said, you definitely shouldn't feel weird about approaching The NESkimos, because they're really down-to-Earth, run-of-the-mill, fun nerds. Also, they're not famous.

If they ever show up to this topic, I'd be interested to know how they, as normal people who have just about the weirdest sort of internet fame possible, deal with guys like Stomphoof knowing who they are. It's gotta be weird, but I bet they get some warm fuzzies from being recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:12 am 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
I don't think you should feel weird about approaching famous people, unless you're interrupting them or interfering with some sort of larger goings-on. That said, you definitely shouldn't feel weird about approaching The NESkimos, because they're really down-to-Earth, run-of-the-mill, fun nerds. Also, they're not famous.

If they ever show up to this topic, I'd be interested to know how they, as normal people who have just about the weirdest sort of internet fame possible, deal with guys like Stomphoof knowing who they are. It's gotta be weird, but I bet they get some warm fuzzies from being recognized.

I would say they are famous in the Ninten-metal circles.

And what do you mean "guys like Stomphoof" EH EH?!

While I would love to hear the thoughts of any of the band members I sincerely doubt they browse any part of the forum beyond the general section. Unless one of you people wanna PM em to let em know about this topic.

I sure as hell aint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Stomphoof wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:

While I would love to hear the thoughts of any of the band members I sincerely doubt they browse any part of the forum beyond the general section. Unless one of you people wanna PM em to let em know about this topic.

I sure as hell aint.

I can actually weigh in a tiny, tiny bit on this:

One time, at a party about a year ago, this guy was like "...Hey, you're Napalm Man! I loved Mega Man X!"

I'm not... I wish I could make that up. This actually happened, I swear to God it did. This guy, Bryan, somehow recognized me as Napalm Man, the guy that played sax on a NESkimos track. All this, despite the NESkimos having not made any music or played any shows in a long, long time.

It was so awesome. And a little bit weird. But mostly awesome, I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Napalm Man wrote:
Stomphoof wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:

I sure as hell aint.

One time, at a party about a year ago, this guy was like "...Hey, you're Napalm Man! I loved Mega Man X!"

I'm not... I wish I could make that up. This actually happened, I swear to God it did. This guy, Bryan, somehow recognized me as Napalm Man, the guy that played sax on a NESkimos track. All this, despite the NESkimos having not made any music or played any shows in a long, long time.

It was so awesome. And a little bit weird. But mostly awesome, I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

See if I met you, I dont think I would have an issue cause I have chatted with you for the last like 5 years haha :P

Even if you are a badass sax player.

How on earth did he even identify ya though?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Stomphoof wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
Stomphoof wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:

I sure as hell aint.

See if I met you, I dont think I would have an issue cause I have chatted with you for the last like 5 years haha :P

Even if you are a badass sax player.

How on earth did he even identify ya though?!

you'd be surprised. Wily threw out some posts on my weight loss attempts I posted in a totally separate section of the forum. Seemed really nice. I, personally, have been moving really slowly on the goal.

Nameless88 wrote:
Like "Hey, Jonathan Coulton! I heard you on Portal. We need to hang out, you bearded fuck!" :coookieesssss:

I kind of want to see someone do this now. Something about doing this at a con (very sarcastically) would entertain me. Cons are weird. Everyone there has a common thread that makes very few people think "I'm superior." We all basically see ourselves as equals. I figure they feel the same.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

So my blog post (yes this was posted to my shitty blog) actually got a response from, of all people, Danimal Cannon. I don't think he realizes who I am haha. Which is good I guess?

Here it is, for another perspective.

Quote:
Had a conversation about this very topic over the weekend.

As people are very different, this experience can vary greatly from each artist's view, so I'll try to speak from my own perspective.

At this stage of the game, we're not movie stars, we just look like unapproachable gods up on stage with epic sound systems and lighting designed to make us look like we have magic powers. Think Zardoz. Same thing with magazine covers and photoshop touchups on modeling photos.

So, at a show, personally I love receiving praise after a show, but when someone goes over the top and treats you like a god, it puts a barrier between yourself and them, you put them on a pedestal. When that happens, it makes it difficult to engage in conversation and it usually ends up pretty awkward. Meanwhile, if you give praise that's respectful but you talk to them like you would a peer, that feels natural and is genuinely awesome. Just think about what you would say to a good friend of yours who just completed something awesome. I'm not saying that you need to treat artists like your best friend, but more so referring to the casual nature in which you communicate.

For the most part, keep it brief unless you have a specific question to ask, whether it's about gear or if so and so was influenced by a certain artist or something like that. Most artists enjoy geeking out about their craft, but not necessarily. I guess, don't be afraid to come up and say something, but keep it casual, keep it brief unless the conversation just magically keeps going, and also know that some artists might respond distantly. Maybe it was a bad time, maybe they're shitty people. Who knows.

EDIT: And got another one, but no idea who this time.

Quote:
First, I'd like to say that this was well written and that I feel the exact same way when meeting with performers, in spite of being someone who got on stage this weekend.

What's the other side like? More or less like the other side of a mirror. Imagine being around a bunch of musicians you idolize, respect, and love who might know "of"' you but don't particularly know YOU or what you look like. Then imagine being at a party where a lot of people know you but who you're not sure who you know because it's a sensory overload and a lot more people than you're used to being around. Festivals and Conventions in particular are confusing because you're generally not sure if you're chatting with a distant online friend (from a forum or something who you might have never met in person), a fan, a random friendly person who doesn't know you but feels chatty, or another musician from a band you're less familiar with, but the person talking is being friendly and seems familiar. All the different faces you see kind of blur together in that moment so I always try to be friendly, respectful, and honest (the whole "be yourself" thing) with the people i'm meeting, which is often hard to do until you figure out who you're talking to.

When meeting a fan (which is still a very strange thing for me, that people enjoy what I do) it's kind of awesome and humbling. It's fun talking to someone who cares what you're up to or what you've done, and to learn more about them. It's one thing when your website says '10 listens', it's another when you meet one of those 10 people and chat with them about what they thought about your song, what kind of music they listen to, or what kind of projects they're working on. Seriously, like half the people I talked with are working on some sort of awesome music or art project.
A lot of people who started off as 'fans' have become friends I really enjoy being around. I just don't know how to handle complements. When someone says they really like something you've made or a show you've played or just appreciate you it feels like the end of a conversation and I don't often know where to go from there beyond "thanks", which is kind of a closed-ended answer (forcing one of us to work to keep the conversation going).
So what are the thoughts in my head when meeting people who enjoy what I do?
Something akin to "Wow, someone likes my stuff."
However, i'm generally on your side of the divide, meeting people I admire and respect, wondering if my socially awkward self is bugging them, and telling them how much I really really love their music, because I do.

How the hell did they find my shitty little corner of the web 0_0 THATS WHAT I WANNA KNOW

From here:
http://ikadventures.wordpress.com/2012/ ... /#comments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:14 pm 
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo

I have met a handful of "celebrities. " it's almost always disappointing. I decided a long time ago I didn't like meeting celebrities and I don't go out of my way to Do it anymore. That said I recently met and was hired by a professional football running back and he was the nicest guy ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Mariorg wrote:
I have met a handful of "celebrities. " it's almost always disappointing. I decided a long time ago I didn't like meeting celebrities and I don't go out of my way to Do it anymore. That said I recently met and was hired by a professional football running back and he was the nicest guy ever.

What happens however when YOU are the Celebrity in question, and others are meeting you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:12 pm 
KSK Mastermind

all you have to do is make sure to invite them to your house to pick up a video you made of them. Then have your coon hound jump on their back scratching them thus making an unforgettable impression.

This is a true story by the way :P

though, the dog thing wasn't actually planned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

Crashman wrote:
all you have to do is make sure to invite them to your house to pick up a video you made of them. Then have your coon hound jump on their back scratching them thus making an unforgettable impression.

This is a true story by the way :P

though, the dog thing wasn't actually planned.

NOTE TO SELF
Never visit Crash's house lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 pm 
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo

no way, Black's coon hound was the bomb. I love dogs.

I'm flattered you think us celebrities, but we're not. If you must know, I just think of what it's like meeting people I am impressed by and then it gives me perspective. I think that most people who get put on pedestals forget that, a sense of perspective. My shit stinks just like everyone else ... or as my wife will have you believe, far far worse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Holy fudgesicles...

That is an awesome dog.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 pm 
KSK Mastermind

I feel you guys are a part of the nerd music scene and sort of celebrities in that sort of way. But I also feel that we've known eachother long enough, just by going to see you play and hanging a bit, that you guys are friends. I think if we all lived closer, we might actually hang out. If that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:42 pm 
Pork Town NESkimo
Pork Town NESkimo

Crashman wrote:
I feel you guys are a part of the nerd music scene and sort of celebrities in that sort of way. But I also feel that we've known eachother long enough, just by going to see you play and hanging a bit, that you guys are friends. I think if we all lived closer, we might actually hang out. If that makes sense.

Exactly! we play vg music because we love it, you listen to vg music because you love it. We all have a lot in common.

And to be honest of the 5/6 years I was out of the band I had no idea what the scene had become, and when I showed up at Nerda everyone kept telling me stories about how we were their inspiration and their first introduction to this genre. It's very honoring. I honestly had no idea whatsoever what we had accomplished.