neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:54 pm 
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp

(I was inspired to write this after reading that article. And to be honest, stuff like this, the reasons people do things has always fascinated me)

This is possibly one of the most interesting articles I have ever read. Ever. Here: http://www.esquire.com/features/learning-to-smoke-0308

Have you read that? It’s a bit long I admit, but for those who want the TLDR version here it is: Writer for esquire goes and starts smoking at the age of 46, trying to reach a 1 pack a day level within a month. Accomplishes it, and writes all his thoughts. Oh and quits at the end of it.

I have often wondered why people would smoke, and how they started. In this day and age smoking is known to be damaging, we get bombared with ads both promoting it (in magazines/stores) and denouncing it (radio and tv). While I do not smoke, I have enough respect to not harp on people who do. I grew up around it. My father smoked, my mother smoked, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, every one of em did it.

I never picked up the habit. Far from it, I stayed as far away from it as I could. Never have smoked and never will in fact.

But I have often wondered: My parents are fairly intelligent. Why did they start smoking? It took a heart attack to get my father to stop. He has not smoked for a good 15 years now. My mother however wont stop, and is now plagued with Asthma and High Blood Pressure among other things. Doesn’t help that my mom is a stoner either but I digress.

I get why people smoke things like weed/crack ect. It produces a chemical high, a feeling of europhia in some fashion. While I don’t agree with it and have never done it, I again don’t care if others do.

But smoking? As far as I had known it did nothing.

After reading that article however I can start to see another side of the coin. A different world. I have always watched it from afar really. Smokers seem to be drawn to each other, connected by that little stick in their hands. I have seen total strangers walk up to people and ask for a smoke, get one, and proceed to just chat while puffing away. Its like there is this world of smokers and non smokers, and we non smokers just don’t quite “get” it.

Further, it seems that the social “high” the rush of the being lawless could also be a factor into smoking and continuing, despite all the dangers. And I had no idea that smoking eventually causes the brain to release dopamine.

For those unaware: Dopamine is a chemical produced in the brain that has a variety of effects, and abnormal levels of it can cause all sorts of reactions (including ADD and ADHD, who knew? Guess I should have that checked haha)

Apparently its that chemical being released that can lead to addiction, as our minds somehow connect the smoking to releasing that. Its all very technical and I am sure as hell not qualified to talk about it. But apparently the release of dopamine can make you feel "good" and "rewarded" as if you had done something right.

So that obviously plays into addiction.

But again, why persist in it? I understand that quitting is VERY difficult but at the same time numerous methods exist in helping you get off the horse as it were.

Perhaps some of you all out there could explain to me why you continue to smoke and possibly how you even got started. Do you regret it? Do you wish you could stop? Or do you just not care and continue to do it regardless of the consequences?

And no judging each other here either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:17 pm 
KSK Mastermind

i smoked cloves once (just to look cool and impress S1eepy >.>)

I've tried smoking cigars and can't do it.

Weed however, I'm still newish too (maybe six months?) and it makes me feel good.

Noel used to smoke cigarettes when I met her. I was pretty blunt to her and said "You know, i might not kiss you as much cause it tastes funny to kiss a smoker" and she laughed and the next day quit cold turkey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

"it tastes funny" is putting it nicely... it tastes like licking an ash tray

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:46 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

let's get something straight right off the bat.

tobacco it's self is not inherently bad for you. yes, tar in your lungs can lead to emphysema. yes too much nicotine can lead to high blood pressure.
however, tobacco in and of its self does NOT cause cancer.
why cigarette smoking is linked to cancer has to do with the fertilizer and pesticides they use on the plants.
the tobacco plant is very very good at drawing radiation out of the surrounding environment; the fertilizer they use to grow it is, in fact, radioactive.
which in turn the plant will absorb and become radioactive its self.

also: fire safe cigarettes are a big no no. they pushed a mandate through requiring the papers to be treated with carpet glue which causes the cherry to burn out. you should not want to consume this for very obvious reasons.
no to mention fiberglass filters and other various additives.

basically: tobacco isn't really that bad for you; the tobacco companies just make them in such a way to shorten the lifespan.
rolling your own is pretty much the safest way to go about it.
that is: if you don't want to grow your own.

now, on the up side: there is the social aspect, which has already been covered.
it is also a muscle relaxant and a mental stimulant. i shit you not, the smartest people i've ever met either do smoke or have smoked.
dumb people do too, but i'm talking about the stay up all night doing research and working on a project types.
a smoker is going to be able to push themselves further in non-physical areas than a non-smoker. no contest.
it is also an appetite suppressant.

while not exactly about tobacco, this book has some very interesting things to say about how tribal cultures use the plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cosmic_Serpent
they use it, to effect, as a shamans plant. to them it is the sign of a healer.
i found this very interesting.
we really do just about everything backwards in this country.

i've quit smoking three times already, and went back the first time because i had to deal with the dumbest guy i've met in my entire life. the second two were because i genuinely like the habit. the only reason i quit the times i did was because i let the media get in my head about it. this is going to sound odd, but a lot of the perceived negative effects of tobacco smoking are psychosomatic. i ran some heavy trials on this.
i found that if i sat around chastising myself every time i wanted a cigarette; i would feel horrible. waking up the next day feeling like shit.
however, if i didn't worry about it, enjoyed smoking however many cigarettes i'd smoked: i'd feel perfectly fine at the end of the night and the following morning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

on weed: it's good for you. just don't smoke ditch weed or anything ratty/shitty.
sativa is where it's at. once the training wheels come off it will turn your brain into a computational powerhouse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Fuck cigarettes. Plain and simple. Fucking cancer sticks. Roll your own or something. I love a hookah.

Weed is fun, been smoking a few months longer than crash. I like smoking and vaporizing it. If you vape it, you can reuse it for cooking! :

How did I start? Adventurous. I wont smoke cigs because my whole family did and I found them to be disgusting plus cigarette companies are incredibly shitty. However, I started with hookah back in 2009 ish. Love the hell out of it, it was a ton of fun. Ever since, I've tried various things, not just smoking. However, nothing crazy (heroin, crack, etc). Next on my list is MDMA. However, I'd rather do that when I am dating.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:44 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

S1eepy wrote:
went back the first time because i had to deal with the dumbest guy i've met in my entire life.

I can't find the picture, but I'm assuming you're talking about that tool with the pickup truck and horrible photoshopped pictures of himself with said pickup truck. I believe there was a tv screen involved too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
went back the first time because i had to deal with the dumbest guy i've met in my entire life.

I can't find the picture, but I'm assuming you're talking about that tool with the pickup truck and horrible photoshopped pictures of himself with said pickup truck. I believe there was a tv screen involved too.

Hahahahaha, holy fuck, I remember that picture. God dammit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

I also remember someone wiping their ass with his shirt and the guy not finding out

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Blackman! wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

I also remember someone wiping their ass with his shirt and the guy not finding out

:911::

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:36 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Started because I like to try things that won't possibly immediately lead to danger (ie hard drugs)

Turns out I'm a weirdo and liked the taste and the feeling. I only quit because lol baby. Still gonna buy a pack or two for MAGfest

I'd articulate further but I'm drained also because lol baby

But basically yeah I live totally in the present and have a hard time caring about long term side effects. Vice rules. Nothing beats beer and cigs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:41 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I like smoking marijuana because it's fun and relaxing. I don't smoke anything else because I've never felt terribly inclined to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:32 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I like smoking marijuana because it's fun and relaxing. I don't smoke anything else because I've never felt terribly inclined to.

ever try mushrooms?
they are seriously one of the best things you can do for yourself if you respect what you are doing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

S1eepy wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

ever try mushrooms?
they are seriously one of the best things you can do for yourself if you respect what you are doing.

+1

This exactly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sanctusorium wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

ever try mushrooms?

+1

This exactly.

I've heard that, yeah. I think at some point I'd be into it, but probably not in the very near future.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:47 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I've never been one for smoking. You smell bad and your clothes smell bad. I dated a smoker for a bit, it was obnoxious - couldn't get through a movie without taking a cigarette break.

I will, on rare, rare occasion, smoke pot. It's definitely relaxing, tokin' up a bit before playing sax? ah. mazing. Everything just *makes sense* when I do that, it's really cool.

The day I can buy it without going through a lot of hassle is the day it becomes a regular thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:53 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I smoke when I'm drinking because it makes me look cool.

But I don't inhale. True story.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:04 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Hookahs are delicious. That's what draws me to smoking from them, haha.

Cigarettes smell like shit, though, and I can't stand em.

Cloves smell nice when they're unlit, but their smoke is just gross to me. Same with Cigars.

Oh, and in terms of weed...man, like, I kinda wanna smoke. But I've just got too much shit going on in my life to get into that, you know? Plus, I have no idea how to even go about buying it, and I'd probably look like I'm an undercover cop or something because I'd be so fucking clueless about it. :coookieesssss: Probably for the best, though, I don't need that shit in my pee right now. I'm gonna be a rocket scientist, motherfuckers. :science:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Hookahs are delicious. That's what draws me to smoking from them, haha.

Cigarettes smell like shit, though, and I can't stand em.

Cloves smell nice when they're unlit, but their smoke is just gross to me. Same with Cigars.

Oh, and in terms of weed...man, like, I kinda wanna smoke. But I've just got too much shit going on in my life to get into that, you know? Plus, I have no idea how to even go about buying it, and I'd probably look like I'm an undercover cop or something because I'd be so fucking clueless about it. :coookieesssss: Probably for the best, though, I don't need that shit in my pee right now. I'm gonna be a rocket scientist, motherfuckers. :science:

Right. That reminds me, I need to stop smoking for a while since I'm job searching. Dammit. My past job didn't drug test. Hopefully I'll find another that doesn't.
But man, smoking weed really isn't that big of a deal to worry too much about. Like, if you have friends who smoke and just want to do it from time to time, it's something you can do pretty casually without much/any noticeable side effects. But if you're worried about drug tests and whatnot, that's understandable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:13 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
The day I can buy it without going through a lot of hassle is the day it becomes a regular thing.

i don't go through anyone unless they're a friend first. i don't expect special pricing or anything; just that they are someone i can hang out and have a good time with regardless of their 'occupation'. it's also nice to know who i'm helping out with any extra income. if i don't have any friends slinging it: i don't buy it.

basically; you want a friend who deals a little on the side. then it's easy and hassle free.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Right. That reminds me, I need to stop smoking for a while since I'm job searching. Dammit. My past job didn't drug test. Hopefully I'll find another that doesn't.
But man, smoking weed really isn't that big of a deal to worry too much about. Like, if you have friends who smoke and just want to do it from time to time, it's something you can do pretty casually without much/any noticeable side effects. But if you're worried about drug tests and whatnot, that's understandable.

I'm also kind of worried that I'll like smoking pot more than I like giving a shit about schoolwork. :coookieesssss:

But, I dunno if Work Study does a drug screening, so, I'm gonna wait and see before I even try it casually again.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
I'm also kind of worried that I'll like smoking pot more than I like giving a shit about schoolwork. :coookieesssss:

smoking pot isnt a thing that you do that you enjoy, it is a thing that makes you enjoy everything.
trips are a thing that you do, but you don't necessarily enjoy them. :cookieshuh:

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

gimp wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

smoking pot isnt a thing that you do that you enjoy, it is a thing that makes you enjoy everything.
trips are a thing that you do, but you don't necessarily enjoy them. :cookieshuh:

Yeah, maybe that's true. I haven't smoked enough to know for sure.

But, I'm still paranoid about a drug test, too.

I mean, pot is so fucking tame, who gives a shit...but...jobs give a shit.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 am 
KSK Mastermind

you can always smoke with me Nameless... really that goes for all the NESkimites, but yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:02 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Faking out piss tests is very easy too ;)