neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

best advice I can give: get a big SDHC card. Download all your games. Physical is nice and all but it is far too awesome to switch from Mario to Luigi's Mansion to Pokemon X and Y without having to keep games around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Stripping away all the marketing and the image (that has done very successful and has kept people talking which is a key to keeping your sales and things up for mainstream artists nowadays due to the nature of pop culture continually having a quicker half-life) I have to admit something I think people just want to pretend isn't true:

Miley Cyrus can sing and she isn't that bad at all. Her just standing and singing with none of the bullshit. She is good. Wrecking Ball is a damn fine song.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
KSK Mastermind

it is rather catchy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

It's catchy because the MIAA (in conjunction with the reverse vampires) has been spraying mind control via chemtrails! WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:09 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Whoever wrote it, congrats to them. That song is just great. Catchy, sticks in your head, and you can listen and be like "Yeah, I've been there." The kid can sing, and she makes that shit sound sincere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:02 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
It's catchy because the MIAA (in conjunction with the reverse vampires) has been spraying mind control via chemtrails! WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah. . . . those people give conspiracy theory a really really retarded connotation by attaching themselves to the first thing they see without any research, fact checking, or use of common sense in general. real conspiracies look a hell of a lot more like insider trading or bills showing heavy favoritism to a particular industry. like if all of the sudden tax law didn't apply toilet paper manufactures. or if EVERYBODY votes for the same popular candidate. looking at high school politics is actually a really good way to gain a grasp on real conspiracy. 90% of them don't get any more sophisticated than that. just people trying to do things they think are good for themselves, whether or not they have any understanding of if it actually is: that's up in the air. 50/50.

hmm. this brings me a good new idea.

i'd been thinking of ideas pertaining to a voter screening. my rant was leading me to saying something along the lines of "people with no bullshit detectors and eager believers shouldn't vote. that they do is what makes democracy dysfunctional."

originally the idea was to have an exam of sorts where you'd have to prove you understood the platforms of the candidate you were voting for. if you were too far off: your vote would get thrown out. but that has problems when you consider a case of a very good thing that most people don't understand. and the idea isn't that the voter explicitly understands politics, but that they are electing someone who does.

i think instead: screening people for tendencies to believe everything they see, and on the opposite end, to deny everything they see. so like: sees something in a video game and assumes it's fact, and, travels back in time 65million years, sees dinosaurs, and still denies they exist. lop off both extremes and gives no fucks about how many people get cut off by it. democracy does no work if the uninformed vote can sufficiently skew an election. and in the case of america: it most certainly does. right now: we can't handle a democracy. the condition of the general public is insufficient for it when what accounts for a significant portion of beliefs are provable lies.

i also have thoughts on how to alter that trend, but i might as well do some testing and ask: what are your (guys) thoughts on that? agreeable? any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

There ought to be some basic test you take to get a voter card. I don't think it would require you understand every single thing re: candidate's platforms, but just a basic bit of civics, economics, etc. Stuff you should have learned in school. If you can't name the three branches of government along with their roles, you shouldn't be voting. Real basic stuff.

It'd be tricky though, to administer it and not violate various laws. There used to be reading tests, which would exclude really poor (and mostly black) people from voting. Those are obviously pretty illegal nowadays.

We also really need to re-do how campaigns are run. We need to get rid of PACs and Super PACs. Super PACs are supposed to be disconnected from a candidate, but oh, look, former staff members of those candidates are running them. It's ridiculous.

I would love it if we did away with political parties entirely. Just throw them out - every candidate just runs independently. There could be some process where they don't spend any money - instead, everybody would be mailed some standardized flyer, with a listing of candidates and their main beliefs and goals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I agree with the voter test, but you can't really make one without bringing to mind the LAST time people tried that.

Basically what I do, and I suppose this works as a confessional, is go to wikipedia about a month before the election starts. They monitor the shit out of their political pages to make them as objective as possible. They usually have a nice listing under each candidate that states core beliefs and platforms and I go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
There ought to be some basic test you take to get a voter card. I don't think it would require you understand every single thing re: candidate's platforms, but just a basic bit of civics, economics, etc. Stuff you should have learned in school. If you can't name the three branches of government along with their roles, you shouldn't be voting. Real basic stuff.

It'd be tricky though, to administer it and not violate various laws. There used to be reading tests, which would exclude really poor (and mostly black) people from voting. Those are obviously pretty illegal nowadays.

We also really need to re-do how campaigns are run. We need to get rid of PACs and Super PACs. Super PACs are supposed to be disconnected from a candidate, but oh, look, former staff members of those candidates are running them. It's ridiculous.

I would love it if we did away with political parties entirely. Just throw them out - every candidate just runs independently. There could be some process where they don't spend any money - instead, everybody would be mailed some standardized flyer, with a listing of candidates and their main beliefs and goals.

i agree 100%. banning advertising on elections would also go a long way. i certainly don't think people would be less informed because of it. but then again: this all assumes the votes matter. obama was a ringer when stood up next to a mormon. and it didn't seem to matter who anyone voted for during bush jr's 1st run.

hmm. idk. as far as testing goes: i'm more or less thinking of something along the lines of a few statements, and asked to pick which one is a lie. i'm reminded of the liar/truth/truth or lie riddles. basically checking to see if they have at least some level of bullshit detector. i think the major parties would be shocked to find that much of their demographic does not.

idk. we have the electoral college: swap that out with a reasonable screening and i think things look better so long as the wording is careful and overtly neutral.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

You know what would be cool, and maybe slightly crazy?

Have voters vote on issues, not candidates. You could have candidates somehow register for issues, maybe, and they get votes based on what issues they're connected with.

That probably wouldn't work, but I would love to just say "Yeah, I'm pro-this anti-that" and my votes automatically go to the guy who's a close match.

Even better is if you could say how important an issue is, like "I'm pro-this and feel really strongly about it, I'm anti-that but really I couldn't give less shits about it" and I auto-vote for the highest-matched candidate.

Basically, have OKCupid run elections.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:00 pm 
KSK Mastermind

as well as remove the party system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:43 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
You know what would be cool, and maybe slightly crazy?

Have voters vote on issues, not candidates. You could have candidates somehow register for issues, maybe, and they get votes based on what issues they're connected with.

That probably wouldn't work, but I would love to just say "Yeah, I'm pro-this anti-that" and my votes automatically go to the guy who's a close match.

Even better is if you could say how important an issue is, like "I'm pro-this and feel really strongly about it, I'm anti-that but really I couldn't give less shits about it" and I auto-vote for the highest-matched candidate.

Basically, have OKCupid run elections.

i really like that idea. the biggest hitch i could foresee(post-implementation) would be two candidates running under the same primary platforms. sort of like how political triangulation works. though if there's some sort of accountability for not addressing their stated platforms: it would have some real potential. i get and like that the idea that you vote for actions rather than the man. it makes it less of a popularity contest, which is awesome about it. and to me: it sounds a lot more democratic than the current system. it also accomplishes the general aim of the screening without exclusion. i'll give this a bit more thought over the next few days. see what comes to mind. i really think you're on to something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

This voter test can only work, if the electorate is well educated and well informed about the politics and understands the consequences of their decisions. Given that most people are rock stupid, the media is more interested in furthering certain agendas or celebrity nipple slips, this won't work. Were it different, you wouldn't need such an exam in the first place.

Also, people tend to only see short term gains. So if a politician wants to further a cause that may seem disadvantageous in the short term but is actually designed to bring positive change in the long run, they will never ever vote for it. If a politician is willing to brute force it for the good of the people, he basically can kiss his career goodbye. Happend in Austria in the 70s.

And THAT's why we can't have nice things.

I had this conversation more often than I'd like: There is no big conspiracy, only greed, short term thinking and stupidity. The holy trinity of ass.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I think Board Gaming is 100% better than video games. Yep. There.

Video games are fun. I'm not saying they aren't. Video gaming with friends on a couch and having a good time is great too. Gaming online all the time isn't that fun. I'm (we) are just from a generation where that isn't how shit be done. I would still like to ask "you guys wanna hang out?" and have a board game night with the board dwellers here.

If given the choice board games (and the personal and social experience there-in) is always more enjoyable. You're sitting at a table with friends, chatting, facing each other. Sure you're all still playing a game, but it's a social lubricant where jokes can be told and the games tailor to the audience so they can be enjoyed.

Just saying. Tabletop Gaming > Video Gaming

edit: a night of N64 on a couch with some friends is still a totally rocking time. Smash Bros and WWF No Mercy all night long.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:13 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bogey wrote:

Video games are fun. I'm not saying they aren't. Video gaming with friends on a couch and having a good time is great too. Gaming online all the time isn't that fun. I'm (we) are just from a generation where that isn't how shit be done. I would still like to ask "you guys wanna hang out?" and have a board game night with the board dwellers here.

If given the choice board games (and the personal and social experience there-in) is always more enjoyable. You're sitting at a table with friends, chatting, facing each other. Sure you're all still playing a game, but it's a social lubricant where jokes can be told and the games tailor to the audience so they can be enjoyed.

edit: a night of N64 on a couch with some friends is still a totally rocking time. Smash Bros and WWF No Mercy all night long.

ever been to a lan party?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
Bogey wrote:

ever been to a lan party?

yes. I'll still take a night of Smash-Up, Pathfinder, Once Upon a Time, and more

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:43 pm 
KSK Mastermind

I agree kind of but for me its any kind of local multiplayer involving tom foolery and tangents. Both can be achieved with table top and couch multiplayer.

I wish i could table top game more, but alas. there are tons of games i want but a year ago i decided to not buy any more table top games because they end up just sitting in the corner and making me super depressed.

Also, I like Owl City and Carly Rae Jepson.... so... yeah... its just happy music.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:38 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
I agree kind of but for me its any kind of local multiplayer involving tom foolery and tangents. Both can be achieved with table top and couch multiplayer.

I wish i could table top game more, but alas. there are tons of games i want but a year ago i decided to not buy any more table top games because they end up just sitting in the corner and making me super depressed.

Also, I like Owl City and Carly Rae Jepson.... so... yeah... its just happy music.

small attempt at help. A once a month game night can do wonders for play of a collection and awesome friend time hang outs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:32 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Lan is fun, console gaming is awesome, and I love board games. But nothing beats a couple hours of D&D or "Everyone's John".

As long as we're on the subject of conspiracy theories, the list of people that have me on /ignore on Everquest grew today.

Conversation went like this. Some douche was in chat channels insulting everyone who didn't believe the Mr. Bush flew the planes into the trade center. Even though this stats off sounding fucking nuts, I decide to humor him.

Me: "Ok, so what exactly are you saying?"

Douche: "it just sucks that Bin Ladin is dead and the real people that did 9/11 are free. I can't stand people that refute concrete scientific evidence!"

Me: "sure, what evidence are you speaking of"

Douche: "Just google it, I'm not going to do your work for you"

Me: "I know real conspiracy theorists. They can't WAIT to tell you exactly what their conspiracy is and their proof for it. So, which conspiracy is it that you think happened, cuz I found about 10 already"

Douche: something about me being an idiot and "I used to think Locrian was alright but now I know I was wrong..."

Me: "well you're officially just an idiot. You read one thing that goes against someone you don't like and believe it to be truth for no reason. You're pointless. Your life is worthless. Everything you're doing has no meaning. You're just as fat and lazy as me and every other middle-aged obese guy sitting in his underwear at his computer calling people morons to make themselves feel better. You are just like me, you come on this game to escape your life and the fact that nothing you ever do will matter, or you wouldn't be wasting your time here. Calling people stupid in the chat channels of a game primarily consisting of 12 year olds and middle aged men with aspergers is the only outlet to keep you from killing yourself."

That's paraphrasing, I actually went on for a while longer. Chat was silent for a good 5 minutes except for people sending me private messages about how they wanted to say just that but couldn't think of how to.

BEST part is, I think this guy was actually someone that I've been trolling in chat for about 5 years, but he's never realized I was trolling him until today. If that's true, OMG I LOVE IT!

I'm petty, I'm pointless, but I managed to make an asshole who thought I was their friend for about 5 years realized I thought he was a fucktard the whole time. Everyone hates this guy, and it feels good to crush his feelings. I'm a jerk, and I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:21 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

*applause smily*

i won't go far in, i won't even assume bush to be liable: all i'll say is that we've done really shitty things as a pre-text for war in the past: that we would do it again should be absolutely no surprise.

and that to claim possession of truth at the whim of hearsay is a child's trait that takes work to mature. and it appears people hate work unless they're being paid for it these days. even if one is not totally wrong; if they are misinformed: they are still wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:46 am 
KSK Mastermind

Bogey wrote:
Crashman wrote:

small attempt at help. A once a month game night can do wonders for play of a collection and awesome friend time hang outs.

i've tried and no one can ever commit due to conflicting schedules and logistics.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

More like conflicting bullshit, am I right? :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:58 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

LocrianDm wrote:
Lan is fun, console gaming is awesome, and I love board games. But nothing beats a couple hours of D&D or "Everyone's John".

I use the term "tabletop gaming" to adhere to anything you sit at the table and play: munchkin, D&D, Rummy, Uno. Granted, the tabletop name gets stretched in definition when Werewolf, 2Rooms&aBoom, and others get added it.

Note: Two Rooms and a Boom is a free-to-print tabletop game for groups from 6-30 (my recommendation is at the 10 player level). Here is a link

http://tuesdayknightgames.com/tworoomsandaboom/

it is extremely fun. Try it sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Messed around with an Xbox One....

I think it's worth the price point. I think Kinect is totally great for it. I can see how it's an entertainment console for everyone as well as a very solid home video game console. I'm going to screw around with a PS4 for a few days, but I'm pretty sure the Xbox One might be better. Open judgement until I do, but the Xbox One has a lot of things going for it.

Kinect works. It's really nice and spiffy. I even did 20 minutes of a P90x work out (because there are like 50 work out videos given to you included with Gold) and it kept track of what muscles were being worked out, my heart rate, the whole sha-bang. Dead Rising 3 was fun, looked great, and being able to pause, do any other app and come right back to the game was great. The interface is really awesome. Even the simple Snap was fun. I could listen to music or check out something while playing. If a game is super hard I could totally see checking out a tutorial while I'm playing it. I was on a 60" and we had my friend's fiance making cookies and stuff. A bit into Killer Instinct we turned Netflix on and had it playing an episode of An Idiot Abroad for her while we played games on the same screen. Granted, the game got about 2/3 of the screen, with the 60" you could clearly see the show.

So, yeah, after playing with it I totally get it all. I wasn't ever "fuck the xbox one" but I wanted to see it. It intrigued me. As someone, like most of you I presume, who use consoles for Netflix and other streaming a lot more nowadays....it fits very nicely.

Sony will have to wow me, because that system sitting with my Wii-U would just be perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Bogey wrote:
Messed around with an Xbox One....

I think it's worth the price point. I think Kinect is totally great for it. I can see how it's an entertainment console for everyone as well as a very solid home video game console. I'm going to screw around with a PS4 for a few days, but I'm pretty sure the Xbox One might be better. Open judgement until I do, but the Xbox One has a lot of things going for it.

Kinect works. It's really nice and spiffy. I even did 20 minutes of a P90x work out (because there are like 50 work out videos given to you included with Gold) and it kept track of what muscles were being worked out, my heart rate, the whole sha-bang. Dead Rising 3 was fun, looked great, and being able to pause, do any other app and come right back to the game was great. The interface is really awesome. Even the simple Snap was fun. I could listen to music or check out something while playing. If a game is super hard I could totally see checking out a tutorial while I'm playing it. I was on a 60" and we had my friend's fiance making cookies and stuff. A bit into Killer Instinct we turned Netflix on and had it playing an episode of An Idiot Abroad for her while we played games on the same screen. Granted, the game got about 2/3 of the screen, with the 60" you could clearly see the show.

So, yeah, after playing with it I totally get it all. I wasn't ever "fuck the xbox one" but I wanted to see it. It intrigued me. As someone, like most of you I presume, who use consoles for Netflix and other streaming a lot more nowadays....it fits very nicely.

Sony will have to wow me, because that system sitting with my Wii-U would just be perfect.

fuck the xbox one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next