neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:42 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
Messed around with an Xbox One....

I think it's worth the price point. I think Kinect is totally great for it. I can see how it's an entertainment console for everyone as well as a very solid home video game console. I'm going to screw around with a PS4 for a few days, but I'm pretty sure the Xbox One might be better. Open judgement until I do, but the Xbox One has a lot of things going for it.

Kinect works. It's really nice and spiffy. I even did 20 minutes of a P90x work out (because there are like 50 work out videos given to you included with Gold) and it kept track of what muscles were being worked out, my heart rate, the whole sha-bang. Dead Rising 3 was fun, looked great, and being able to pause, do any other app and come right back to the game was great. The interface is really awesome. Even the simple Snap was fun. I could listen to music or check out something while playing. If a game is super hard I could totally see checking out a tutorial while I'm playing it. I was on a 60" and we had my friend's fiance making cookies and stuff. A bit into Killer Instinct we turned Netflix on and had it playing an episode of An Idiot Abroad for her while we played games on the same screen. Granted, the game got about 2/3 of the screen, with the 60" you could clearly see the show.

So, yeah, after playing with it I totally get it all. I wasn't ever "fuck the xbox one" but I wanted to see it. It intrigued me. As someone, like most of you I presume, who use consoles for Netflix and other streaming a lot more nowadays....it fits very nicely.

Sony will have to wow me, because that system sitting with my Wii-U would just be perfect.

I have an Xbox One. I really like it. Just got a cable box in my room (mostly to DVR Olympic hockey while I'm at work) and hooked it up through the Xbox. Kind of a pointless gimmick when you can easily just pick up a remote, but the OneGuide is kind of cool. It's cool to just say "Xbox, watch Comedy Central" and the channel changes. Or ask "Xbox, what's on HBO?" and the channel guide pops up. On top of that, like you said with Killer Instinct and Netflix, Snapping the TV app while playing a game is cool. Not very useful if it's a game you need to hear, but if I'm playing Peggle or something and there's a movie I want to watch on TV, it's pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

I've had that feature since back in the ps2 days. It's called a small crappy tv, a cheap dvd player, and every season of The Simpsons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

There's some cool things Microsoft could do with the Xbox One and that hdmi input.

Fantasy Football. Imagine having a football game on, and having you and your friend's fantasy football scores live-update on screen! Shit, wouldn't even need the game on. It'd be cool to just be watching a movie or something and have shit pop up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:10 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

I like my PS4 because because there's a lot less seedy marketing bullshit surrounding it and games run on it as the entire new generation of hardware has been advertised

Also PS Plus rules and PlayStation Now looks potentially hype

That said I'm not going to suggest it is better since I haven't touched an Xbox One but in the meantime I'll be playing Tomb Raider at 1080p and 60 fps with new features on a console because wow damn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:42 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Napalm Man wrote:
There's some cool things Microsoft could do with the Xbox One and that hdmi input.

Fantasy Football. Imagine having a football game on, and having you and your friend's fantasy football scores live-update on screen! Shit, wouldn't even need the game on. It'd be cool to just be watching a movie or something and have shit pop up.

I'm pretty sure there's already an ad campaign centered around that exact idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:

so the idea is to route the cable box through it or something?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:51 am 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:

so the idea is to route the cable box through it or something?

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:20 pm 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Quote:
It'd be cool to just be watching a movie or something and have shit pop up.

This, to me, is the exact opposite of cool. I used to watch movies on my X360 and having a friend alert or some such ping and pop up during a tense scene is one of the most annoying things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
Quote:
It'd be cool to just be watching a movie or something and have shit pop up.

This, to me, is the exact opposite of cool. I used to watch movies on my X360 and having a friend alert or some such ping and pop up during a tense scene is one of the most annoying things.

Agreed, but if I'm just watching a movie out of boredom I don't mind. Like, if it's a movie I've seen a million times anyway. If it's a movie I've never watched? Yeah that's annoying as shit. But usually if I'm watching, say, Super Troopers, Clerks, Ghostbusters, etc., I'm usually doing something else anyway, so a distraction wouldn't bother me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:10 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
watch out of boredom

i'm afraid it's life that imitates art. maybe the return of wild stallions will save us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:58 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sleepy be like "hey, this is the thread for people to confess things in a judgment-free environment, I better imply someone is leading to the retardation of the entire planet based on part of one of their sentences taken out of context!" :coookieesssss:

On topic, I have a confession. I kind of really like the guitar part towards the end of Insane Clown Posse's "Miracles". It's a terrible song, for sure, from terrible "artists", but that part near the end where they stop rapping and the guitar kicks in for a little bit is genuinely pretty groovy, if not terribly original. Like, if it was in another, much better song, I think people would be talking about how cool that little guitar part was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:37 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

class Morte{
if (register != 'i see wut you did thar') {output = righteous indignation};
}

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:15 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

S1eepy wrote:
class Morte{
}

Holy shit s1eepy that's going way too far. This code is total shit it's like you didn't even attend the lecture.

Where the fuck are your scope declarations? And no methods? How are people supposed to use this? Also you should know that you can't use spaces in variable names, and single quotes are for decaring characters, not strings. Also you can't use boolean operations to compare string objects. This is awful. This bullshit won't even compile.

I'm giving this an F- see me after class

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
class Morte{
}

Holy shit s1eepy that's going way too far. This code is total shit it's like you didn't even attend the lecture.

Where the fuck are your scope declarations? And no methods? How are people supposed to use this? Also you should know that you can't use spaces in variable names, and single quotes are for decaring characters, not strings. Also you can't use boolean operations to compare string objects. This is awful. This bullshit won't even compile.

I'm giving this an F- see me after class

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm 
KSK Mastermind

A million to Juan is one of my favorite movies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

It's been a while since we've had a confession and I recently learned something that I feel like sharing. Not a typical 'confession' but I wanna get it out there.

I have never had a 'type' of woman. I've been attracted to individuals rather than characteristics if that makes sense. I definitely have preferences, I love curvy women, but there's no one type of girl that makes me melt. I've been attracted to tall, short, thick, very thin, white, black, Latin, Asian, etc. There's never been one group that instantly got me.

Recently I've discovered, or realized I guess, that I am INSANELY attracted to Desi women.

Like...holy shit the above is gorgeous to me. I'm still attracted to other women but I get the feeling if you put the most beautiful Asian girl and the most beautiful European girl next to like, the eighth most beautiful Desi girl...I'm going Desi.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Desi women are super fucking hot. Pls provide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:19 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Snifit wrote:
It's been a while since we've had a confession and I recently learned something that I feel like sharing. Not a typical 'confession' but I wanna get it out there.

I have never had a 'type' of woman. I've been attracted to individuals rather than characteristics if that makes sense. I definitely have preferences, I love curvy women, but there's no one type of girl that makes me melt. I've been attracted to tall, short, thick, very thin, white, black, Latin, Asian, etc. There's never been one group that instantly got me.

Recently I've discovered, or realized I guess, that I am INSANELY attracted to Desi women.

Like...holy shit the above is gorgeous to me. I'm still attracted to other women but I get the feeling if you put the most beautiful Asian girl and the most beautiful European girl next to like, the eighth most beautiful Desi girl...I'm going Desi.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:52 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

This is my first post on the throwaway account here. Fallout, I'm sure you could track who I am, but please don't. I don't want to do this on Reddit because the community there is full of shit heads who I don't know. I know you all and think you can appreciate why I want this to stay anonymous.

I'm someone all of you know. I might be a member of the forums, I might not. I might just post in this thread under another name to throw you all off, I might not. Whatever, I still don't really know what I'm doing here.

I was abused as a child. It's fuzzy and I can't recount all the details, but it was mostly emotional abuse. Not by family, or friends, in particular, only 2 people and they were teenagers. I have a very strong mental block when it comes to the particulars though, and I don't know what to do about it. It happened for a very short time when I was about 4 or 5, maybe 6. I haven't seen either of these people since then and don't even remember their full names. It was only a couple of instances that I can remember and most of it was just them being silly and trying to impress each other by scaring the little kid. There is also a memory which gives me strong indication that I may have been sexually abused at some point, but can't remember the instance.

Other than this little bit of my life, everything else is good. I've barely even thought about this until a few years ago. I have a job and a good relationship with everyone in my life, for the most part.

So here's my question. What the fuck should I do about this? Nobody I know in real life knows about this and I'm not even sure what all happened. I don't want to go to a therapist again mostly because they cost a ton of money and I tried it before but to no good result. My previous therapist was an idiot and I think it was her first job after college so she was no help at all.

Input?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:35 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

nobodyinparticular wrote:
This is my first post on the throwaway account here. Fallout, I'm sure you could track who I am, but please don't. I don't want to do this on Reddit because the community there is full of shit heads who I don't know. I know you all and think you can appreciate why I want this to stay anonymous.

I'm someone all of you know. I might be a member of the forums, I might not. I might just post in this thread under another name to throw you all off, I might not. Whatever, I still don't really know what I'm doing here.

I was abused as a child. It's fuzzy and I can't recount all the details, but it was mostly emotional abuse. Not by family, or friends, in particular, only 2 people and they were teenagers. I have a very strong mental block when it comes to the particulars though, and I don't know what to do about it. It happened for a very short time when I was about 4 or 5, maybe 6. I haven't seen either of these people since then and don't even remember their full names. It was only a couple of instances that I can remember and most of it was just them being silly and trying to impress each other by scaring the little kid. There is also a memory which gives me strong indication that I may have been sexually abused at some point, but can't remember the instance.

Other than this little bit of my life, everything else is good. I've barely even thought about this until a few years ago. I have a job and a good relationship with everyone in my life, for the most part.

So here's my question. What the fuck should I do about this? Nobody I know in real life knows about this and I'm not even sure what all happened. I don't want to go to a therapist again mostly because they cost a ton of money and I tried it before but to no good result. My previous therapist was an idiot and I think it was her first job after college so she was no help at all.

Input?

Well, I've never been had that kind of thing happen to me, so I can't offer too much advice there.

Regarding therapists - remember that they don't fix things, like a surgeon might. They guide you along with helping yourself. They're just people, y'know? So don't write off talking to a therapist. Ask around, more people that you realize have also talked to therapists about things before (myself included), you can probably get a good recommendation without giving up too many details about this.

From what you've written (and please please keep in mind, I'm working off not a whole lot here, I'm honestly trying to not offend or anything if I come off that way) it sounds like you had an unfortunate experience with two jerk-head teenagers.

Somebody being emotionally abusive gets mitigated when you see them get some kind of come-uppance - a parent punishes them, somebody gets suspended from school, etc - you get some kind of closure out of it. Sometimes it takes a long, long time - like when kids come out about being abused years after the fact. I think one problem here, is you were denied that - they got away with it, and there's not really anything you can do about it now. Hopefully they've grown out of it by now, maybe they're still jerks to other kids, shit, maybe they're dead in an alley, and maybe if they saw you, they'd apologize profusely. Unfortunately you'll never know. It's a hard truth you just can't do anything about.

For me, that kind of hard truth is something you have to find a way to accept, figure out what kinds of things it hopefully taught you (if anything, maybe it didn't), and strive to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you've got kids, let them know about emotional abuse, how to identify it, and what to do about it. If you see somebody being emotionally abusive, you put a stop to it.

Fortunately, you're in a good position of having a relatively stable life (it sounds like). I bet if you reached out to people that know you, you'd find great support and people willing to help anyway they can, even if it's just a shoulder to cry on.

That's about all I got, really. Maybe somebody with more experience can weigh in, I hope what I said helps in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:11 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I dunno. I mean, do you think it's effected your everyday life? I knew someone in high school who I think was molested when they were young and she was really shy about any sort of physical contact. I think in the 7 years of going to school with her, I maybe saw her hug someone a handful of times.

Is it effecting you like that? Or is it just like a "holy shit, this happened to me...should I do anything about this?" kinda thing?

I've never really had any experience with anything like that, personally, so I don't really know how I'd feel if I suddenly remembered something like that.

Maybe if you can't find a therapist or some sort of professional to talk to about it, you could find a support group or something?

I honestly really have no idea.

I mean, it's fucked up, but...if you don't think that it's really effecting your life on a day to day personal level...maybe just shrug it off. I mean, it's not like you can remember their names and confront them about it now or something, and if you're pretty much happy besides that, and everything else is good, does it really matter what happened to you in the past?

That's probably terrible advice. But, I think if I was confronted with that, that's probably what I'd do.

But maybe it's also just something that you want to delve into because you want some answers or something. And I can completely understand that. I think it would kind of bug me forever to have a rough memory of something terrible happening to me, and then not being able to recount what happened.

But, you're still here. And, hopefully, the people that did that shit to you, well, what goes around comes around, and even if I don't believe in a cosmic karma, I think that if people do bad things, they're going to eventually create their own karma and bad things will happen back to them. Maybe there's some cold comfort in that.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I second Napalm Man. Therapy really does help with things like this, even if it doesn't feel like it. At the very least it helps you confront these issues and see them. Then you can get to a point where you can recognize current problems and when they are real or just manifestations of repressed issues. And yeah, sad to say, he's right. You'll probably never get that sense of justice from seeing these punks again. That you'll just have to accept and try to better yourself every day.

Really wish there was more to say other than we, as a community. are totally here for you. I think the best thing is to just sort of talk things through and try as best as possible to move on. Not the best sounding advice but I kind of understand where you come from. Not nearly to the same degree, but I have some issues that trace back to some bad childhood experiences. That's why I recommend sticking with therapy. Because of it I can recognize problems that stem from legitimate day to day problems and ones just in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

To NapalmMan and Snifit

Yes, I agree with you on therapy. I probably just had a bad experience in the past.

To Nameless88

To an extent you are correct, that is horrible advice for some people, except that it is exactly how I feel. There are certain aspects of my life that I believe have been affected by what happened but they have not severely altered me. I'm not a serial killer and I've never had thoughts of reciprocating the abuse to anyone else. As far as confrontation goes I do know the first names of the people involved and their addresses at a certain point in their lives, so it would be very easy to track them down. Thing is though, this was 15+ years ago and if they were shit heads back then and did this kind of stuff all the time they probably won't remember any specifics anyways.

My only problem is the gap in the memories. There is an instance where I have a clear memory and looking back on it feels like this.

I observe what happens through my eyes but with my much older mentality and think HOW THE FUCK could they think that this was an ok thing to do?

But then the memory suddenly stops. There's a huge gap of something that happened on a particular evening but there were alterations to myself after that make me think something really fucked up happened.

I'll describe it like this. When I was a little older, sometime in middle school or late elementary school, I watched a video about sexual assault awareness and how to avoid it happening to you. There was a scenario where a young boy, probably 10 years old, was approached by his mom's boyfriend. He got all buddy-buddy with the kid and then one day said hey, you're old enough now, time for you to learn about something. They sat on the couch together and the mom's boyfriend put his arm around the kid all buddy buddy again while he put a porno in the betamax player.

Yes, a betamax player, this was a very old video.

The kid then asked a few questions, the man answered, and suddenly he tried to pull the kids pants off. Kid runs out of the room, mom breaks up with boyfriend and files restraining order, kid feels guilty about ruining his mom's relationship and then they try to piece his life together and deal with it.

Take that scenario, except that it wasn't my mom's boyfriend, and copy it exactly until just before the part where the guy tries to fuck the kid. The memory just stops right there, but before that point it's almost a scene for scene remake of something that happened to me when I was around 5 or 6, only with different characters. It's like someone yelled CUT at just the right moment to keep me from seeing anything that happened next. I remember everything leading up to there and I remember going to bed several hours later, but nothing between those two points.

One affect this had on my life was that the constant quest for porn started when I was 5 or 6 instead of at puberty. I'm in a healthy relationship now and don't really rely on porn anymore, but for about 10 years I was that friend who could always find a dirty magazine when no one else could.

By the way, thank you so far. This is exactly why I posted here instead of on another forum. I'm still glad I posted anonymously though because I don't want to put the burden of knowing this happened to me on anyone in particular. I feel like it would always be in the background of the person's mind during every conversation and I wouldn't want to do that to anyone I know. At least not until I am sure that I want someone I know to know this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:59 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Don't be so sure about people knowing being a "burden" on them. I found out that a good friend of mine was molested by a family member a long time ago and the only affect it had on me in that respect was an increasing urge to hug / comfort.

That was worded badly... She was molested by one of HER family members when she was young, like 7 or 8 years old. First way I put it sounded like someone I knew had done it.

I had a crummy councilor in college. I was trying to get over my urge to do nothing but smoke and drink all day and talking to this woman did nothing but make me want to bang her. She brought nothing to the table (besides tits). There are good councilors and therapists out there, though, you just have to know where to look.

All that aside, friends and family can help. The girl I know only spoke about it to me once but it certainly changed our relationship for the better, in some ways.

Oh, I should point out, this person in question isn't the one that lied about cancer and cheated all the time either, I never dated this girl.

Shit, I just realized I had two female friends that had the same thing happen. In both cases the knowledge had the same affect - increased urge to protect and hug more often.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:28 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Repressed trauma is tricky. On the one hand, if you don't deal with it, it could lead to mental health issues later in your life. On the other hand, the reason people repress those things is precisely so they DON'T end up with mental health issues; that is, repression is a defense mechanism. The other thing to keep in mind is that in trying to recover that memory/deal with what happened to you, the mind can be really tricky, and likes to fill in gaps of memory with false information based on stuff you've read/seen in the media, and it can be hard to know which things actually happened to you.

Not saying you shouldn't seek out help for it, because long-term it's PROBABLY going to be something you have to deal with at some point, just giving you a warning that if/when you do, it's a long and probably very difficult road in which things will probably get worse for a while before they get better.

Also, yeah, some therapists suck. All you can do is keep seeking new ones until you find one that works for your needs. Hope the best for you, and hey, if you're someone on these forums I do know, know that you can message me privately if you need to talk, that I promise to be 100 percent judgment-free, and that I'd in no way view that as a burden.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next