neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:36 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

For about 5 years now I’ve been wanting to build a collection of albums that I think everybody should own. Rolling Stone lists are very unsatisfying in this regard.

For 5 years, I have been unable to quantify exactly what qualifies an album for inclusion in this collection. Some of them are obvious. Others, like Beatles albums, pose a challenge in which one particular album to choose, other artists like Tim Buckley are so versatile that I simply cannot make a valid choice, and yet another group of artists, like Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan etc are not going to appeal to a lot of people regardless of the validity of them being in this list. Essentially, this is a list of albums that most people already have, the value of the list being in the albums that you don’t own. I have limited myself to one album per band.

I’m going to start with the obvious, and puzzle through some of the bigger band’s discographies. Please contribute to this list with any album, new or old, that you consider to be something that everyone should own, as otherwise this thread is just going to be my personal bias. I’ve clearly ignored metal, since I don’t want to argue with anyone. :P

Here’s my list of maybes (updated 7 Nov 11)
Leave Home (ramones)
Raw Power (Iggy Pop)
Close to the Edge (yes)
The Man Who Sold the World (david bowie)
Methodrone / Spacegirl / Give it back (brian jonestown massacre)
Cheap Thrills (Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin))

Please PM me if you're going to add an obvious album, i have a list of 22 I'm working through.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

Last edited by gimp on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 am, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:36 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'll edit in a few more here as I feel it's appropriate, rather than make a bunch of posts.

Abbey Road
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Abbey Road was the last album recorded by the Beatles, and I am not alone in considering it to be their magnum opus. Unlike some of their other albums, it isn't innovative, rather a culmination of their career. Highlights include the white-noise and sudden ending of I Want You (She's So Heavy) which marks the end of the A side, and the amazing B side medley that begins with You Never Give Me Your Money.
Of course, almost every Beatles album is worthy of this list. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band is arguably the most influential album ever made. The Beatles (aka the white album) is a stand-out as a superb, confused mix of tracks. Rubber Soul and Revolver are just sublime.

Forever Changes
"When I did that album," commented Arthur Lee, "I thought I was going to die at that particular time, so those were my last words."

My girlfriend put it this way: Love Forever Changes is incredibly reminiscent of all the music I've heard from the 60s, and is completely different to all of it. It has everything you're looking for that typifies the music of that period: horns, strings, acoustic and electric guitars, lyrics that convey the essence of the 60s, and it's all presented in a hauntingly beautiful package. It is now widely considered to be one of the best albums of all time.
The album title comes from a story that Lee had heard about a friend-of-a-friend who had dumped his girlfriend. She exclaimed, "You said you would love me forever!", and he replied, "Well, forever changes."

Harvest
"It's such a fine line that keeps me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting old."

My fondest memory of this album is of finding it in a friends vinyl collection, and playing it softly in her room at 3:30am. It's a country album, with tracks varying from simple acoustic instrumentation, to backing from the London Symphony Orchestra, to the under-produced loud distorted electric guitars of Neil Young's trademark sound.
The lyrics are beautiful, at times hauntingly so, and very personal.

In the Court of the Crimson King
"Confusion will be my epitaph as I crawl this cracked and broken path."

This 1969 King Crimson album is the precursor to progressive-rock, stripping the blues from rock music with a new style influenced by jazz and classical music (it was categorized at the time as art rock). People picked up this album based on the highly unusual cover, thinking "What the fuck?" When the first track exploded out of their speakers, the thought must only have intensified. The other four tracks are colourful and mellow, with fantasy inspired lyrics.
The turn of the decade then ushered in the most pretentious period in rock history.

Odessey and Oracle
"She watches her flowers grow while lovers come and go, to give each other roses from her tree - but not a rose for Emily. Emily, can't you see there's nothing you can do? There's loving everywhere but none for you."

Characterised by pianos and harmonies, this bittersweet album by the Zombies is more British than the Beatles and is best known by the track Time of the Season. The atmosphere is almost cheery, the lyrics dealing with heartache, war, and a prison romance, interspersed with love songs.
The band broke up before the album released, with only one hit single in the US, which perhaps explains why this critically acclaimed album is not as well known as it deserves to be.

The Dark Side of the Moon
"I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime." Abbey Road doorman.

This album by Pink Floyd is widely considered to be one of the best of all time. It is a concept album on universal themes of the human condition, with the sides are structured to flow together start to finish. It has a highly polished sound incorporating recorded sound effects and vocal samples.

Kind of Blue
"It must have been made in heaven." Jimmy Cobb

Kind of Blue is the best selling Jazz album of all time. It is ground-breaking in that it followed the publication of a paper that abolished the classical ideal of major and modern keys, and instead introduced scales, which paved the way for Miles Davis' experimentation with modes. The entirety of this album is revolutionary in that it is all based on modal structure. Prior to this time, music was based on chords and chord progressions, and the tracks have been a direct influence on many famous songs and musicians.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:47 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

The different eras of Iron Maiden:

Paul Dianno- I personally prefer Killers over Iron Maiden. Wrathchild and Murders in the Rue Morgue are possibly the best songs they did with their original singer. I loved the vocals on both of these albums. I first heard them after everything Bruce had done up to about 2003, as I first discovered Maiden after Brave New World and worked my way backwards. It was an interesting change from the powerful, operatic vocals that Dickinson brought to the band, to the raspy vocals of Dianno. I sometimes wonder what it would sound like if Dianno had stuck around, but whenever he contributes to any form of tribute album, he's always singing "Wrathchild," almost as if trying to remind people "HEY GUYS REMEMBER ME? I SANG THIS SONG WHEN I WAS THE LEAD SINGER OF THIS BAND."

Bruce Dickinson's first stint- Number of the Beast. Quite possibly the best Iron Maiden album of all time, and Dickinson's debut with the band. A classic, and an absolute must own for any metalhead. Not a single bad track on it, I believe this album was a defining moment of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. This era was Maiden's heyday, so if I had to pick a runner up or two, I'd go with Powerslave or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. But Number of the Beast is really the #1 choice.

Blaze Bayley- You can really go either way on this one. These albums are kind of the black sheep of the discography and I feel they don't get the respect they deserve. Blaze's vocal range is no where near as wide, so during his tenure, they had to cut a lot of songs out of live sets that had previously been staples of a Maiden show. You can hear this in the two albums, X Factor and Virtual XI. His voice is consistently deeper, and in my opinion, the music itself took on a bit of a darker tone. Not bad at all though (better than No Prayer for the Dying at least.) I personally prefer X Factor, especially the opening track Sign of the Cross, which is one of the few Blaze songs the band still plays live occasionally.

Bruce Dickinson Returns- These albums are strange. There have been 4 albums since his return to the band, and I initially didn't care for three of them. Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, and Final Frontier all had to grow on me, but once they did, I loved them. The only one I didn't have to let grow on me was Brave New World, Bruce Dickinson's (and Adrian Smith's) first album back with the band, and also the first Maiden album I ever heard. With Smith returning on guitar and both Janick Gers and Dave Murray staying with the band, this is the first album the band did with three guitarists. It sounded different than anything else the band had done before, blending the sounds of Bruce's first tenure and Blaze's era, in my opinion, flawlessly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:22 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Thriller
"And though you fight to stay alive, your body starts to shiver. For no mere mortal can resist the evil of the thriller."

Seven of this album's nine songs were released as singles (three were collaborations with Paul McCartney), and all reached the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. Why? Not just because he was a consummate performer. Not because of his lyrics, despite their whimsical appeal. While a lot of us don't connect music with dancing (unless you count head-banging), it's hard not to break out in dance when a Michael Jackson bass line drops.

Nevermind
"I feel stupid and contagious. Here we are now, entertain us."

Listening to Nirvana post-Bleach is essentially listening to a huge crowd of teenagers gradually kill Kurt Cobain. "He's the one," he screeches on the immortal In Bloom, "who likes all our pretty songs, and he likes to sing along, and he likes to shoot his gun, but he don't know what it means, don't know what it means and I say" before dropping in volume to deliver a "yeah". Meanwhile in the crowd, and pubs and homes across the world, teenagers are yelling "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" to the simple melody of the deliberately catchy riff.
The music is based around power-chords with pop hooks, and dissonant guitar rhythms.
So what if he stole the loud-soft dynamic from the Pixies, and hated the album, and buying it sends money to Courtney Love? He's dead, and I never said you had to pay for it that's what she said.

The Velvet Underground and Nico
"Hey white boy, what you doing uptown? Hey white boy, you chasing our women around? Oh pardon me sir, it's the furthest from my mind, I'm just looking for a dear, dear friend of mine. I'm waiting for my man."

Lou Reed's lyrics capture a lifestyle and era, and the grittiness of life. Nico adds an amount of class to The Velvet Underground on three mellow songs, a move suggested by their manager Andy Warhol, who apart from that allowed them full creative freedom. The music at times features a screeching viola, and the drummer generally plays without cymbals. The album ends with a crashing, trance inducing jam. The famous banana on the album cover was actually a sticker - the small text reads "PEEL SLOWLY AND SEE". Peeling it off revealed a bright pink peeled banana underneath.
The band severed it's relationship with Andy Warhol following this album.

Discovery
"Work it harder make it better do it faster makes us stronger more than ever hour after our work is never over."

Music for robot humans, this was the big album for Daft Punk, arguably the biggest name in club music. It is a departure in style from Homework, and a precursor to Human After All. Alive 2007 is a brilliant album showcasing their talents as DJs, mixing their songs and affecting them uniquely at every concert, mixing their whole repertoire into itself. This works very well, as the album versions of the songs are generally simple.
A significant amount of sampling is present on the album. Rather than simply creating new music out of the samples, they worked with them by writing and adding instrumental performances.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I just added Odessey and Oracle to my first post.

Five Leaves Left
"Fame is but a fruit tree, so very unsound. It can never flourish till its stock is in the ground. So men of fame can never find a way, till time has flown far from their dying day."

This is folk musician Nick Drake's first album, and like his others it did not receive much recognition in his lifetime. The mood and themes are often melancholy and sombre. He struggled to perform live, and he died five years later. He remained unknown until the 80s, when he was claimed as an influence by many popular musicians.
The acoustic guitar work on this album far surpasses his later work, and is characterised by unusual tunings that enable the use of cluster chords, which are made of notes that are next to each other chromatically, and therefore normally only used on pianos.

Graceland
"There is a girl in New York City who calls herself the human trampoline, and sometimes when I'm falling, flying or tumbling in turmoil I say "Oh, so this is what she means.""

This Paul Simon offering is an eclectic mix of music styles, with a heavy influence from the South African musicians who played on the album. Rolling Stone described it as "an album about isolation and redemption that transcended "world music" to become the whole world's soundtrack," and is deservedly included in most "best of" lists.

Grace
"Well I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord, but you don't really care for music, do you?"

Grace is the only complete studio album by Jeff Buckley, and it attained chart success posthumously. He is best known for his emotive performance of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. This album is haunting, and listed as a favourite of Jimmy Page, Brad Pitt, and Bob Dylan, among a score of others who claim him as an influence.

The Best of the Doors
The band took its name from Aldous Huxley's book The Doors of Perception.

I think this 2-cd set is the most appropriate choice for this influential band. I don't own it, since it's a compilation album, but it is excellent as a driving album or on a road trip. Jim Morrison's antagonism and cult of personality may be what made the Doors famous, but the real stand-out is the amazingly odd interplay of Ray Manzarek's organ and keyboard work with Robby Krieger's unique style of flamenco guitar. The album Strange Days is the best example of this.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:10 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I just added the Dark Side of the Moon and Kind of Blue to my first post, and now here is my first entry that is completely out of left field.

Hi, How Are You
"I really don’t know how I came here. I really don’t know why I’m stayin’ here. I am walking the cow."

You've probably never heard of Daniel Johnston, but I bet you've seen this image before. Give up? In an era before the internet, this home-made cassette was often duplicated through Daniel re-recording the songs, and it was distributed by hand and shared by fans through cassette duplication. It was released on vinyl LP in 1988.
Daniel Johnston is somewhat of a cult-figure, with a diverse range of famous fans, which may seem surprising when you first hear the child-like production of this album. He suffers from bipolar disorder, and claims he suffered a nervous breakdown during the making of this album, and one word describes it: raw. I highly recommend watching the documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston.

Kid A
"Everything. Everything. Everything. Everything. In its right place. In its right place. In its right place. Right place."

This album marks the point where Radiohead turned away from guitar music and embraced an electronic sound, and while they are not the first successful band to do so, it marks a turning point for the music industry in the commercial appeal of doing so.
Thom Yorke suggested the title refers to the first human clone, which is a befitting interpretation of what he describes as brutal and horrible subject matter. This is a fantastic album.

Pet Sounds
"I may not always love you, but long as there are stars above you you never need to doubt it, I'll make you so sure about it. God only knows what I'd be without you."

This is one of the most important album releases of all time. Why? Because they rose to meet the intense competition coming from the Beatles across the pond. As with other Beach Boys albums, it is characterised by elaborate vocal harmonies. This album is an important stand out due to it's early use of sound effects and unconventional instrumentation.

Led Zeppelin II
"It'll go down like a lead balloon." Keith Moon, on the possible formation of a Jimmy Page supergroup.

This marks the most influential period of Led Zeppelin, with their evolved riff-based, blues-derived musical style being the most cited precursor to heavy-metal. Jimmy Page is in top form for his solos (unlike his later, heroin-addled performances), and the bass and drums are as tight and thunderous as ever.

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

This is the end of my list. I'll add more if I can think of anything.

Surrealistic Pillow
"The volume was so far up that it was hard to know what was playing unless you knew Surrealistic Pillow almost note for note...which I did, at the time" Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
This is the definitive Summer of Love album. Jefferson Airplane pioneered psychedelic folk, as well as recording some great examples of generic psychedelic rock. This album is a great example of what the 60's revival movement is imitating. The track Today is particularly beautiful in it's simplicity.

Freak Out!
"You rise each day the same old way and join your friends out on the street, spray your hair and think you're neat. I think your life is incomplete, but maybe that's not for me to say. They only pay me here to play."
This is the first album by Frank Zappa, and it is a satire of his perception of American pop culture. Zappa gave up on The Mother's of Invention after a lack of success. He went on to become probably the most versatile musician ever, releasing over 60 albums.
It's very weird. Frank Zappa is pure genius.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it."

Remember when I send I was limiting myself to one album per band? I lied. Pink Floyd when it was lead by Syd Barrett was essentially an entirely different band. At that time, it was known for it's long jam concerts on songs based on a movement structure, incorporating free-time and other jazz-composition elements into a rock band, dripping with tape delay. Interstellar Overdrive on this album is an example of their psychedelic freak-out style.
At a time when British pop mimicked American pop, most of the tracks on the album are pop-songs, characterised by Syd Barrett's exaggerated British accent. The lyrics are cryptic at times, and reflect a nostalgia for childhood play and imagination.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

OK Computer > Kid A

=-=-=-

I'll detail this more a little later.

Glass Houses by Billy Joel

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 by Coheed and Cambria

Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bogey wrote:
OK Computer > Kid A

maybe as a eulogy for guitar centric popular music

frankly OK Computer doesn't belong next to any of the other albums in my list.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:11 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Disillusion - Gloria
if you listen to this album two to three times and still can't figure out what is so special about it: you need to get your ears replaced with ones that work.

Solstafir - Kold
there aren't many doom metal bands out there, and as small as that number is virtually none of them do justice to the sound archetype. Solstafir stands out as being the only band i've come across to be able to take washed out droning guitar and give it an air of beauty and intensity without diminishing the monochromatic vibe. its both ambient and engrossing at the same time. there are tracks where the music will sneak up on you and pull you in without you realizing it. there's a rare hypnotic quality to this album.

Sybreed - Antares
i could post any of their albums here. very few other bands have had such consistently good albums. they are approaching their fourth album and so far have yet to stick anything but their absolute best on their albums. a flawless blend of metal and industrial. a rare gem in the ocean of terrible industrial metal bands. Sybreed sets a new benchmark for just how well the sound can be pulled off and backs it up with intelligent and relevant lyrics.

Turmion Katilot - Hoitovirhe
the first album. the one that entirely redefined just how energetic music could be. the sound its self is very catchy great sounding mosh music, but that alone isn't enough to warrant it as a must. you could be laying on your death bed with the world fading before your eyes; if this album were to start playing you'd suddenly posses the collective strength of all in valhalla and set out on an epic journey of won-ton destruction; along the way you would have deformed the face of every baby on the planet with your fist. so that everyone in that generation knew exactly who the fuck you were and couldn't forget it even if they tried. listening to this band is like tapping into a nuclear reactor. never have i heard a band that has a sound anywhere close to as energy instilling as Turmion Katilot.

Shpongle - Nothing Lasts . . . but Nothing is Lost
until future notice: this album is the most inspired, uhm, i'm not really sure what to call it. it doesn't have a genre, and its not exactly songs. the album plays out like a singular composition blending such a wide array of influences that if you try to attach a genre label to it you wind up contradicting yourself. i'll just go with: the most inspired work of pure audio creativity to have ever been released as an album.

i feel obligated to mention Front Line Assembly, but we all know about the amazingness that is Bill Leeb already. you can't really pick one of his albums and say "listen to this because its awesome". his body of work is quite widely varied and his sound is always evolving. there's just going to be tracks you'll like and ones you won't. Bill Leeb does not give a fuck about what people are interested in listening to. music is just what he does.
so instead i'll dig up one of his lesser known but equally awesome projects:

more later possibly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Although I'm not entirely sure how this list is being compiled here's a few nominations I'd like to throw in. Granted, they're all personal opinions of what I think are superb albums, but from what I've seen they're all generally regarded as such by the masses:

Sigur Ros - ( )

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Between the Buried and Me - Colors

Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Filmore East

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#∞

Insomnium - Above the Weeping World

Mew - No More Stories Are Told Today, I'm Sorry They Washed Away, No More Stories, The World Is Grey, I'm Tired, Let's Wash Away

Oceansize - Frames

Operation Ivy - Energy

The Reign of Kindo - Rhythm, Chord, and Melody

The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum

What the gay?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:41 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

the dear hunter is pretty great. i need to listen to them a bit more often.

Also, this should go without saying, but Boston's self titled debut is one of the greatest classic rock albums ever recorded. I would say that's just my opinion, but I don't know if that's the case, or if it is simply fact.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bubble Man wrote:
Although I'm not entirely sure how this list is being compiled here's a few nominations I'd like to throw in. Granted, they're all personal opinions of what I think are superb albums, but from what I've seen they're all generally regarded as such by the masses:

whatever you think is good is good enough for me. whitney houstons soundtrack to the Bodyguard sold 17x platinum, so who's judging.
whatever you think forum goers would appreciate, i guess.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Also, this should go without saying, but Boston's self titled debut is one of the greatest classic rock albums ever recorded.

Yes, it should. :bluev:

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:

The Color Spectrum is new (it just came out in August) but it's brilliance is rivalled only by it's ambition. The Dear Hunter has managed to create a collection of 36 songs encompassing eight different "colors" (each with their own distinct style and emotion) creating a brilliant concept with too many good songs to count.

So yeah, you should listen to it. They're other albums are good too, but this is the only one that has the potential to belong on a list like this.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bubble Man wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:

The Color Spectrum is new (it just came out in August) but it's brilliance is rivalled only by it's ambition. The Dear Hunter has managed to create a collection of 36 songs encompassing eight different "colors" (each with their own distinct style and emotion) creating a brilliant concept with too many good songs to count.

So yeah, you should listen to it. They're other albums are good too, but this is the only one that has the potential to belong on a list like this.

i've had a flick through it. sounds uninspired and samey to me.

the problem with crossing genres is in not doing any of them well enough and appealing to no-one.

edit: I'ma post personal favourites from now on.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Nameless88 wrote:

Last edited by gimp on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:00 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

The first ambient album.

"The music was designed to be continuously looped as a sound installation, with the intent to defuse the tense, anxious atmosphere of an airport terminal. Eno conceived this idea while being stuck at Cologne Bonn Airport in Germany in the mid 70s. He had to spend several hours there and was extremely annoyed by the uninspired sound atmosphere."

Basically sounds like a Wii waiting room.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:46 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Hmm...needs a Muse album in here, too.

Black Holes and Revelations is really good, but The Resistance is really good, too. I'd say one of those is definitely a must own.

Um, shit, what else?

Frampton Comes Alive. I mean...come on. Do You Feel Like We Do? Yeah, that's true. :cookieshmm:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

The only album mentioned in this thread I like is Blackwater Park.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:33 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I think I'm the only one who has heard of this album, and probably this musician, but this album is amazing. A concept album about a man traveling through space the songs go from simple and happy (Everybody Needs A Robot) to some darker songs with a strong message (A Cautionary Tale) and every single song is memorable. The things this guy can do with synthesizer and a piano are amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:37 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Frank Turner- Love, Ire, and Song
Folk rock artist. Some of his lyrics have a tone of rebellion in them, but I feel like this album (his second) really focuses on leaving those ideals of punk rock and disorder behind in order to grow up. I love all of this guy's music, but this album is fantastic. From the energetic, almost anthemic opening "I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous" to the calmer, reflective tone of the closing track "Jet Lag" this is a solid album through and through. His most recent album, England Keep My Bones is comparable in quality, but I really feel a connection to this one for some reason. Check out either one of those, and if you like them, then look into his first and third albums Sleep is for the Week and Poetry of the Deed, respectively. Also solid albums, but not quite as good as the first two albums I mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

forgot this in my earlier post for some reason.

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

gimp wrote:
forgot this in my earlier post for some reason.

i'll +1 this

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:07 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:coookieesssss: (see what are you listening to thread)

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Or

If you can take only one you won't go wrong with either of these.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:20 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bogey wrote:

Or

If you can take only one you won't go wrong with either of these.

the choice is between thriller or bad imo - i mean, speaking from what the market was like before and after they were released. Thriller had the most singles of any Michael Jackson album.

Nameless88 wrote: