neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:13 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 pm
Posts: 9147
Location: One Day's Brain Flight From Earth
gimp wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Image

Or

Image

If you can take only one you won't go wrong with either of these.

the choice is between thriller or bad imo - i mean, speaking from what the market was like before and after they were released. Thriller had the most singles of any Michael Jackson album.


Although Bad has the most #1 singles of any album in history (Katy Perry has tied it at this point)

"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
"Bad"
"The Way You Make Me Feel"
"Man in the Mirror"
"Dirty Diana"

It's a complete toss-up between the two albums...but man...tough call between them.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:22 am
Posts: 7581
Location: Madison, Wii
hahaha. oh that is sad.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:11 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 pm
Posts: 9147
Location: One Day's Brain Flight From Earth
S1eepy wrote:
hahaha. oh that is sad.


What? That Katy Perry has tied a record Michael Jackson has set? Or the greatest entertainer ever has a record he more than deserves?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:01 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:29 am
Posts: 5674
Location: Quills, Australia
Bogey wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
hahaha. oh that is sad.


What? That Katy Perry has tied a record Michael Jackson has set? Or the greatest entertainer ever has a record he more than deserves?

The first one is definitely sad, but just look at the best selling singles of all time. White Christmas and Candle in the Wind. Definitely not a mark of quality.

_________________
Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 am 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:22 am
Posts: 7581
Location: Madison, Wii
gimp wrote:
Bogey wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
hahaha. oh that is sad.


What? That Katy Perry has tied a record Michael Jackson has set? Or the greatest entertainer ever has a record he more than deserves?

The first one is definitely sad, but just look at the best selling singles of all time. White Christmas and Candle in the Wind. Definitely not a mark of quality.

yes and yes.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:57 am 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:29 am
Posts: 5674
Location: Quills, Australia
michael jackson is a legend. turn on a subwoofer and then crank this shit.



how can you not tap your feet. one of the greatest drops ever.

_________________
Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:12 pm 
Offline
Nameless NESkomic Artist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:15 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: St. Augustine, FL
I just pulled this album out for the first time in a few years, and I forgot how fucking good it is, so I figured it belonged here.


Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magick

Got a bunch of good songs that everyone knows about, but the great part is that every song that isn't played on the radio is actually even better than the already popular ones.

Along the same vein, Bush - 16 Stone is a fucking amazing album, too. About 90% of it is a hit song that gets radio play time, and that remaining 10% is just as fucking good.

So, there we have some 90s goodness in there. :awesome:

_________________
Image

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:22 am
Posts: 7581
Location: Madison, Wii
Nameless88 wrote:
every song that isn't played on the radio is actually even better than the already popular ones.

that's almost always how it goes.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 am 
Offline
I got bann3ded!!1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:07 pm
Posts: 21774
S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
every song that isn't played on the radio is actually even better than the already popular ones.

that's almost always how it goes.

Almost always, but I've felt that more often than not RHCP's singles are more impressive than a lot of their other stuff. Then again, I dont think I've really listened to any of their albums straight through more than once or twice a piece.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:23 am 
Offline
Nameless NESkomic Artist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:15 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: St. Augustine, FL
illblamesum1else wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
every song that isn't played on the radio is actually even better than the already popular ones.

that's almost always how it goes.

Almost always, but I've felt that more often than not RHCP's singles are more impressive than a lot of their other stuff. Then again, I dont think I've really listened to any of their albums straight through more than once or twice a piece.

See, the awesome thing about both of those albums I listed is that the singles are all really, really good songs, too.

So, the fact that the stuff that isn't played on the radio is actually better is really quite a feat because the radio stuff is already really good.

Here's a few examples:



These guys are filthy, and I love them, haha.

_________________
Image

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:09 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:29 am
Posts: 5674
Location: Quills, Australia
sorry, doesn't top , let alone .

i'm not a fan. Give It Away is one of the best songs from the 90s but.

i hadnt heard those other songs in about a decade

_________________
Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
I got bann3ded!!1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:07 pm
Posts: 21774
I still fucking love the intro riff to Snow.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:19 am 
Offline
Nameless NESkomic Artist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:15 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: St. Augustine, FL
gimp wrote:
sorry, doesn't top [Suck My Kiss], let alone [Give It Away].

i'm not a fan. Give It Away is one of the best songs from the 90s but.

i hadnt heard those other songs in about a decade


Hey, dude, guess which album both of those songs are originally off of? :awesome:

Seriously, Blood Sugar Sex Magick is fucking wonderful. It's...it's magic. Sex magic.

_________________
Image

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:25 am 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:29 am
Posts: 5674
Location: Quills, Australia
Nameless88 wrote:
gimp wrote:
sorry, doesn't top [Suck My Kiss], let alone [Give It Away].

i'm not a fan. Give It Away is one of the best songs from the 90s but.

i hadnt heard those other songs in about a decade


Hey, dude, guess which album both of those songs are originally off of? :awesome:

no shit. i was responding to:
Nameless88 wrote:
See, the awesome thing about both of those albums I listed is that the singles are all really, really good songs, too.

So, the fact that the stuff that isn't played on the radio is actually better is really quite a feat because the radio stuff is already really good.

and i just think it's wrong. Most RHCP songs are pretty formulaic, their albums are mostly filler just like every other shit band. BSSM is their best album sure (Frusciante after all), but slap bass and bland vocals that sound the same in every song just dont do it for me.

_________________
Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:22 am
Posts: 7581
Location: Madison, Wii
prob my favorite 90s band. mostly for the lyrics.




dude has a lot of things spot on.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm 
Offline
Nameless NESkomic Artist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:15 pm
Posts: 16881
Location: St. Augustine, FL
gimp wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
gimp wrote:
sorry, doesn't top [Suck My Kiss], let alone [Give It Away].

i'm not a fan. Give It Away is one of the best songs from the 90s but.

i hadnt heard those other songs in about a decade


Hey, dude, guess which album both of those songs are originally off of? :awesome:

no shit. i was responding to:
Nameless88 wrote:
See, the awesome thing about both of those albums I listed is that the singles are all really, really good songs, too.

So, the fact that the stuff that isn't played on the radio is actually better is really quite a feat because the radio stuff is already really good.

and i just think it's wrong. Most RHCP songs are pretty formulaic, their albums are mostly filler just like every other shit band. BSSM is their best album sure (Frusciante after all), but slap bass and bland vocals that sound the same in every song just dont do it for me.


I notice they use the same vocal pattern a lot, yeah. BSSM actually has songs that sound different, though. Like, the only ones that sound a lot alike are their radio singles. Although some vocal riffs/motifs do repeat a lot.

_________________
Image

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:58 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:29 am
Posts: 5674
Location: Quills, Australia
Nameless88 wrote:
gimp wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
gimp wrote:
sorry, doesn't top [Suck My Kiss], let alone [Give It Away].

i'm not a fan. Give It Away is one of the best songs from the 90s but.

i hadnt heard those other songs in about a decade


Hey, dude, guess which album both of those songs are originally off of? :awesome:

no shit. i was responding to:
Nameless88 wrote:
See, the awesome thing about both of those albums I listed is that the singles are all really, really good songs, too.

So, the fact that the stuff that isn't played on the radio is actually better is really quite a feat because the radio stuff is already really good.

and i just think it's wrong. Most RHCP songs are pretty formulaic, their albums are mostly filler just like every other shit band. BSSM is their best album sure (Frusciante after all), but slap bass and bland vocals that sound the same in every song just dont do it for me.


I notice they use the same vocal pattern a lot, yeah. BSSM actually has songs that sound different, though. Like, the only ones that sound a lot alike are their radio singles. Although some vocal riffs/motifs do repeat a lot.

Eh they're just really unadventurous IMO, considering how talented some of them are. I think a sign of a good band is that they aspire to have musical variety while still appealing to the same core demographic. That said, almost every mainstream rock band makes the same song over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I might try and listen to BSSM all the way through for the first time in forever for your sake though dave :coookieesssss:
actually fuck that, im listening to the Living End - the Living End for my nostalgia trip today


edit: speaking of songs on 90s albums that are better than the singles



i got so bored by the end, im glad this album is over now

_________________
Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Must-Have Albums
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am 
Offline
Goomba
Goomba
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:33 am
Posts: 82
Image

Alkaline Trio - Goddammit

this is one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands. alkaline trio's first album is completely stripped down (it's almost as if they just went into a room and played each song live). while they havent really gone into their dark punk/pop direction yet, some hints shine through, especially in the lyrics that are both smart and catchy (e.g. "cracked my head open on your kitchen floor to prove to you that i have brains, meanwhile tin-men are led by little girls down golden roads that lead to no where" from the song "nose over tail"). this is the place to start if you've never listened to the band before or just want to hear a great punk/pop record in general.


Image

Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Easily the best album by the band, this album channels so many different emotions that no song feels exactly the same as the previous. This is a dark album, both musically and lyrically (from what i've heard, a lot of the songs were written following the divorce of lead singer Tim Kasher). songs like "Art Is Hard" and "Butcher The Song" both talk about dealing with the pressure of success (e.g. "keep churning out those hits, 'till it's all the same old shit" from "Art Is Hard"), as well as depression (e.g. "The Recluse"), angst, etc. This is absolutely an album you need to listen to once in your life.


Image

Bright Eyes - Digital Ash In A Digital Urn

This album is really a part of a double album (It's counterpart "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" was released on the same date), however, where "I'm Wide Awake" was a very acoustic/folk driven record, this album was (as the title suggests) more samples and other electronic elements. The whole theme of this album seems to be dealing with death, and the emotions that go along with it, ranging from the fear and anxiety to the blissful optimism and general feeling of relief. if you listen to any song off this album, it should be the album's closer "Easy/Lucky/Free" (conor oberst is easily one of my favorite lyricists of all time, and this song is a prime example of why).


Image

Desaparecidos - Read Music/Speak Spanish

another of conor's many bands, this time he took a stab at punk rock, and holy shit did he do it right. only 9 tracks long, each track is catchy, fast, and full of energy, with lyrics that focus more on politics than some of the themes found on bright eyes albums. you NEED to hear this album, you'll be listening to it on repeat in no time.


Image

Kevin Devine - Split The Country, Split The Street

Kevin Devine is a brilliant singer/songwriter, and this is his best album imo. the music ranges from agressive rock to mellow acoustic songs. lyrics range from complex topics like politics, loss, and religion, to seemingly picturesque songs such as "Haircut" and "Probably", all while maintaining a pop sensibility that manages to get stuck in your head. no matter what you listen to, you're bound to like at least one track off this album.


Image

Silverchair - Diorama

one of my favorite bands since high school, Diorama was more or less a complete reworking of the band's sound. this album was almost a complete 180 for the band; they decided each song had to have an orchestral arrangement, and the songs became much more complex in both style and lyrics. Daniel John's voice is pitch perfect (no auto-tuning at all on this album, which is mind-blowing once you start to listen), and while the songs are much more pop driven, there are some very heavy songs on the album (e.g. "One Way Mule" and "The Lever"). the orchestra complements each and every song, and it remains the best album they've ever done imo.

i would've included The Dear Hunter somewhere in this but it's been discussed. either way, Act II remains my favorite from them.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group