neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 pm 
Boo Diddly
Boo Diddly

I got a laptop to use as a mobile recording device (with my Fast Track), and I use Audacity to record stuff with.

However, when I record something (guitars, let's say), and I want to dub it with vocals, the monitoring through headphones gives a small delay.

I googled this a bit, and found out that using hardware monitoring is better that the Audacity software monitoring. Still, it's not perfect. There is still a small noticeable delay.

Any ideas?

XOXO
Jonathan McBaneski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Jonny McBane wrote:
I got a laptop to use as a mobile recording device (with my Fast Track), and I use Audacity to record stuff with.

However, when I record something (guitars, let's say), and I want to dub it with vocals, the monitoring through headphones gives a small delay.

I googled this a bit, and found out that using hardware monitoring is better that the Audacity software monitoring. Still, it's not perfect. There is still a small noticeable delay.

Any ideas?

XOXO
Jonathan McBaneski

yeah man - if it's not your soundcard it's your cpu. i have that same problem. the only real solution is to use an audio interface. there are a few little things to improve it - namely switching drivers and software, but you still won't be able to synchronize tracks. You'll need to spend somewhere around $140+ otherwise you'll have to manually splice up tracks to correct the timing, like i do atm.

i have an intel multicore (and no audio interface), and afaik they all screw up the timing when the sound approaches silence - the CPU suddenly switches to an intense workload when it attempts to deal with floating point numbers.

Alternatively use a multi-track then export the tracks to the laptop for mastering etc. a digital 4-track costs what, $10?

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

Last edited by gimp on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:37 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Jonny McBane wrote:

Any ideas?

XOXO
Jonathan McBaneski

Firstly, make sure you're using the headphone port on your Fast Track (I'm assuming you are). In fact, while recording you'll want all audio input/output to be through that one device.

Are you on Windows? The default Windows sound driver is called DirectSound, and the way it works is:

Application (including its own processing) -> DirectSound -> (OS-level audio processing and such) -> Hardware

So, the problem here is you've got latency being introduced by the OS-level audio processing.

I think that on Windows, most pro-level audio applications used what's called ASIO to access the sound card, where the path is:

Application -> ASIO -> Hardware

Which really reduces the latency.

From some quick Googling, it looks like Audacity CAN use ASIO, but they don't distribute it - you have to compile it yourself, or you could try another program like Wavosaur.

I don't really remember if you need to download separate ASIO drivers/software or not - I think you do? I'm not that sure - I've been using Linux for so long, I'm pretty out of the loop about recording audio on Windows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:facepalm: fast track. right. learn to read gimp.

yeah Nape. it's called ASIO4all. My hardware configuration means that ASIO4all has pretty much exactly the same problem, but that should solve any problems with fast track.

my experience with audacity is that it actually inconsistently places the recording on the wrong spot on the timeline. *shrug*
steal something decent like Sonar.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house