neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

How about some Sonic songs? I olny know of one band that does a sonic song, and that is Megadrive with ONE song. Songs I really want from the Sonic series are

1. Lava Reef Zone
2. Ice Cap Zone
3. Hydrolic City
4 Hidden Palace (Sonic 3)
5 Green Hill Zone
6 Emerald Hill Zone

Good versions of thouse would make me cry...

(No, OCRemix doesnt cut it, I really like my music with nonsynth music... Well, with out a reliance on synths)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

Quarter Circle Jab did a version of Oil Ocean
here's the soundclick download

*waits for Napalm Man to notice SEGA*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:33 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

That was good, but not what I am looking for =/
I find stuff like that on OCR..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:30 am 
Paragoomba
Paragoomba

How about this?
The green hill zone cover is very relaxing and laid back, but full of very organic sounding instruments (unlike most ocr material).
There is also a sonic and knuckles cover here -
http://www.myspace.com/spriteslowdown
Parts are pretty heavy on synths, but still geared towards a live sound over "remix" styled sounding soft synth stuff. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:42 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Well, while were commiting blasphemy, there's one song that absolutely must be covered:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Boss Music (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... otnick.mid)

Beyond that, there's a few other songs that I believe get overlooked:
Sonic & Knuckles - Doomsday Zone (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... lboss2.mid)

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Launch Base Zone Act 1 (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... base1A.mid)

and lastly, I think you outta try out a cool-ass, laid back version of:
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - Star Light Zone (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... light4.mid)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:29 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

uote="bucky o'hare"]How about this?
The green hill zone cover is very relaxing and laid back, but full of very organic sounding instruments (unlike most ocr material).
There is also a sonic and knuckles cover here -
http://www.myspace.com/spriteslowdown
Parts are pretty heavy on synths, but still geared towards a live sound over "remix" styled sounding soft synth stuff. 8)[/quote]

I actually like thouse, expecially the Sandopolis sone one. If they foucused less on the synths, it would be exactly what I am looking for.

Napalm Man wrote:
Well, while were commiting blasphemy, there's one song that absolutely must be covered:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Boss Music (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... otnick.mid)

Beyond that, there's a few other songs that I believe get overlooked:
Sonic & Knuckles - Doomsday Zone (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... lboss2.mid)

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Launch Base Zone Act 1 (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... base1A.mid)

and lastly, I think you outta try out a cool-ass, laid back version of:
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - Star Light Zone (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... light4.mid)

Yeah, I left all thouse out... I just listed the top part of my list. I wouldn't mind if the whole Genisis series was covered to tell you the truth. Except Mystic Cave zone. That cant be covered corretly as far as I can tell. All remeixes of that sound like a evil carnival... I imagin clowns with sharp teeth coming to eat me... <_< Every. Single. Remix. (Of Mystic Cave)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:08 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

To make Mystic Cave Zone sound totally sweet, you need Trombones and Trumpets.

Hell, a whole Jazz band, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:52 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Hmmm.... I wonder what that would sound like... If you find / do some thing like that, link me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:05 pm 
Paragoomba
Paragoomba

You should play - or at least do live somewhere - "Welcome to the Machine" from Ecco the Dolphin, if you're doing Genesis. It's easily one of the most disturbing pieces of music to ever come from Sega hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

"Toxic Caves" or "Lava Powerhouse" from Sonic Spinball would probably make me cry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:15 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

There needs to be a good Sega cover band (Megadriver) that does popular games (...). Why is it that the VG rock scene almost doesnt even consider Sega games? ;_;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:05 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

because nintendo rox0rz sega?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:12 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

illblamesum1else wrote:
because nintendo rox0rz sega?

LIES!!!

It's because, as much as I hate to admit, Nintendo has always been like, the King. I mean, look at what Sega has been reduced to. A mere shell of their former glory.

Most kids played Nintendo.

I would LOVE to see some badass Sega covers, like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic and Knuckles, Vectorman, Comix Zone, etc. But it'll never happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:18 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

i personally think nintendo was always better than sega, and not just in terms of marketing and money. i dont know why, i always just preffered nintendo. sega did have some great games though, with pwnsome music. *goes to friends house to play comix zone*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:30 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Sega had some great groundbreaking RPG's as well. The Shining series, Phantasy Star series, Beyond Oasis (as crappy as it was, it was cool back then), Wonderboy in Monsterland, Warsong (Langrisser series in Japan), Master of Monsters (strategy more than rpg I suppose). Oh man lots of non RPG's as well. Herzog Zwei, Star Force, and of course the Sonic games. There were a lot of great games even more than that, and the system had great peripherals, I just think marketing was crappy, and timing was bad for the launch. Just like the Dreamcast, bad marketing, bad timing. It was a great system, you just had to really dig to find some of the greatest games.

Megadriver kicks ass. His Megaguitar is kickass. Or does he call it a Segatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:00 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Whoa whoa whoa, there was, in fact, a short period, wherein Sega managed to acquire over 50% of the videogame Market Share.

I also believe Sega has always been first to the market with the latest-and-greatest system, also. I know Dreamcast came out a good year before PS2, and the Genesis came out almost 2 years before the SNES. I'm not sure what happened with the Saturn and PSX.

The Genesis is definitely Sega's most appreciated and well-recieved system. I remember having it JUST before the SNES came out, and having all my friends with Nintendos wanna come play it, it just totally blew the NES out of the water.

But you never had to "dig for" their better games, they were always there! X-Men, the Sonic Games, Toejam and Earl. Classics that many people never appreciated, because they were hooked on their Nintendos.

Here's, more or less, what happened:
Nintendo releases the NES, Sega releases the Master system at around the same time. The NES does FANTASTIC in the US and Japan, and the Master System does well in Europe. I believe this is because the NES was advertized a LOT more heavily in the US. Also, Nintendo manages to develop a mascot: Mario. At this time, Sonic doesn't exist yet.

Now, the Genesis comes out, 1989. It just blows the NES out of the water. In 1990, it starts getting popular, and gets really popular with Sonic the Hedgehog, which Sega adopts as their mascot in 1991. Due to hardware limitations, the Genesis has slightly darker graphics, and the games' subjects tend to be a little darker. I mean, take a look at like, X-Men, the first one. That is definitely not a Mario-esque game, in terms of look, feel, and overall badassness.

Then the SNES comes out. The SNES is NOWHERE near as fast as the Genesis (Speed was the primary marketing force of the Genesis), but due to extra sound and video processors, it has graphics and sounds that just trump the Genesis (there I said it.)

Now, here's a quick recap. We got the SNES and the Genesis, which appealed to different markets:
Nintendo was a lot stricter about what it would and wouldn't allow on their console. I believe this was a well-publicized Nintendo tidbit, and hence, I believe many more parents bought Super Nintendos over Sega Genesis because of it. For instance, Mortal Kombat 1 for SNES - NO BLOOD. This is what MADE Mortal Kombat so cool. But for Genesis, all you gotta do is hit "ABACAB" at the first screen, and you've got yourself blood mister. So I think the Genesis appealed to older gamers, and the SNES appealed to younger gamers. Genesis games tended to have slightly darker subject matter, and actual darker-looking graphics, which added to the feel of the games, whereas SNES had many bright colors and whatnot. Now, I'm not saying the Genesis doesn't have it's share of children-oriented games, take a look at World of Illusion, and the SNES got blood in Mortal Kombat 2.

But Nintendo has always pushed itself as the family-friendly system. Always.

Now, here is Sega's downfall: The Saturn. The saturn was just a terrrible system. It was meant to be the King of 2D systems, and it would have been, except the rest of the world moved to 3D, and the Saturn just wasn't really meant for it. It became a total hassle to program for, compared to the not-as-powerful PlayStation, which developers quickly moved towards. That's pretty much why Sega is dead today.

The Dreamcast was really NOT an issue of timing, I mean, yes, they could have waited maybe like, six more months and incorporated games with DVD media, and there are many, many PSX/N64 games that also came out on Dreamcast, but without truely enhanced graphics. I have Star Wars Pod Racer for Dreamcast, and it sucks ass, because it's no better than the N64 version. So, elements of the Dreamcast's failure can be attributed to bad timing, but mostly, they had just lost a LOT of 3rd party developers. I mean, look at the Playstation. Seems like most games are third-party games, compared to Nintendo, where most games are first-party games.

But the Genesis was not a product of bad timing, the Genesis came out at the most perfect time it could have: The NES was nearing 4 years old (which is getting old for a console), and Nintendo was dinkin' around on the SNES (they had plans to ride out their 8-bit laurels for as long as possible). The presense of Sega, and the timing of the Genesis, is exactly what caused the two companies to aggresively compete with eachother, and gave us many, many great games for both systems.

You kids that play these games on Emulators, you have no idea what you're really missing. No Genesis emulator can match what it was like to play on a real Genesis, seven years old, playing the Sonic games, NBA Jam, etc. I don't care what people say, I will always prefer Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter on the Genesis than on the Super Nintendo, if for no other reason than the graphics are "kinda crappier," which I really do prefer. To me, their not crappy, their "dark," and I enjoy that.

But basically, Microsoft + Sony kinda equal the new Sega. Nintendo is still the family-oriented system. I think Nintendo will always be around, since they market themselves towards kids, parents will always see it as a safer system to go with than the more "adult" systems.

Poor Sega, I miss you so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:41 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I always thought between games that were released on both the Genesis and the SNES, the Genesis had the better soundtrack/sound effects, I'm sure a lot of you who had both consoles would agree with me

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:42 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Blackman! wrote:
I always thought between games that were released on both the Genesis and the SNES, the Genesis had the better soundtrack/sound effects, I'm sure a lot of you who had both consoles would agree with me

They SOUNDED better, but I liked the tunes on the Gensis more. Its reallya developer thing more than a hardware thing.

<_< I still want Lava Reef Zone metal style...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:06 pm 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

Herzog Zwei, Columns, and Master of Monsters have just about the best soundtracks to do covers of lol. I should start working on them on the bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:29 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Do it! I would be glad to hear any thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:31 am 
The so-called robot with admin powers

You will not revive threads on my watch.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]