neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snifit's Art Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:21 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

arrest me

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

Ok, got PhotoShop up and running correctly. Holy shit, dem options!

@Bogey:
:facepalm:
and-
:facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:34 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
Ok, got PhotoShop up and running correctly. Holy shit, dem options!

yeah; it has a lot of tool sets for many different kinda of image work.
there's a reason i swear by it. especially with a tablet; holy shit. pressure sensitive brushes change the game.

its without a doubt the best image editing software out there; by miles too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Bogey wrote:
gimp wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Snifit wrote:
Ugh, now the torrent I had for Photoshop won't let me use anything but the trial version. :fuckingsun:

Looks like that shop.....isn't open

:yeeeeahhhhh:

don't forget to apply the crack if it came with one. i assume the torrent info said it had something along those lines.

Too bad...looks like he got the wrong key

I think there are a few important concepts needed in order to successfully make those jokes that you aren't quite grasping firmly enough

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:12 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
Bogey wrote:
gimp wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Snifit wrote:
Ugh, now the torrent I had for Photoshop won't let me use anything but the trial version. :fuckingsun:

Looks like that shop.....isn't open

don't forget to apply the crack if it came with one. i assume the torrent info said it had something along those lines.

Too bad...looks like he got the wrong key

I think there are a few important concepts needed in order to successfully make those jokes that you aren't quite grasping firmly enough

Yeah... Until you can fully grasp those concepts, I guess you should put those jokes.... on hold. :yeeeeahhhhh:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 pm 

The Brawl in the Family forums have a monthly art contest. This month's theme was combining the Smash Bros. cast with cartoons. I did a Regular Show entry with pretty poor art that I intend to revisit but here's my second entry, Steamship Samus:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 pm 

Haven't had a lot of time to play with Photoshop. Been using GIMP for comic work because A) I know it very well and B) I have deadlines and don't have time to fiddle. That being said this is a quick(ish) sketch done in Photoshop. Interested to hear how this one compares to stuff done in GIMP, mainly line art and such.

I'm getting used to Photoshop's interface but I can tell it'll be a while before I have it totally down. Also decide to do Rosalina because...because Rosalina.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:47 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i suggest trying the brush tool in favor of the pencil. you can get a lot more out of it. especially with a tablet. your drivers might not turn it on by default, but i'm pretty sure it'll support it: pressure sensitive brushes. if you open up the brush panel there are a ton of options in there. pressure sensitivity on its own totally justifies getting a tablet for drawing purposes.

though in terms of overall line quality you're getting quite a bit better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am 

I wondered and was going to ask. I had sketched everything out with a pressure sensitive pencil tool but went back with a normal pencil tool to make the "ink" lines here. The one thing I've always wanted to get rid off is the way the lines look pixelated. I tried a thicker line but I couldn't find one thin enough to do away with it. I guess the brush tool then?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
I wondered and was going to ask. I had sketched everything out with a pressure sensitive pencil tool but went back with a normal pencil tool to make the "ink" lines here. The one thing I've always wanted to get rid off is the way the lines look pixelated. I tried a thicker line but I couldn't find one thin enough to do away with it. I guess the brush tool then?

yeah; the brush is the main tool you use in ps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:48 pm 

...Good to know Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:30 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

the basic options menu can be accessed by right clicking on the canvas with it selected. the advanced options should have a tab somewhere by the histogram and stuff. if not you can get to it from the top menu. you can do a fuck ton with them like add splatter effects, use alpha masks for shape/saturation, tilt and pressure recognition, ect. its an incredibly robust tool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm 

Next time I decide to draw a bunch of bricks for realism's sake...shoot me. GOD that took forever. :herpderp:

EDIT- This and Rage are tied for my favorites so far. I think Ganondorf's Sinestro outfit came out the best yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:47 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

note for the bricks: you can create a grid of them out of lines. make that its own layer. then copy//paste//resize that. it makes sure they're even and scalable. if you want to add variation you go back and do a detail pass.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm 

Yay, I know how to make smooth lines in photoshop!

Still quite a few cockups but it looks decidedly less jagged, which is a good thing. Pretty soon I'm going to attempt....SHADING

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:09 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

what i do on occasion is draw a line and undo if i don't like it. i'll keep drawing them until i get one i'm okay with. typically i try to draw all of my lines in one quick, smooth motion. overall this is much smoother looking.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
download this and i can give you some more direct pointers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:57 pm 

I know there are lines that could be better but it was late, I was tired, and I just wanted to have something finished so I could eventually work on coloring skills. That's also why there's such a plain background. I may play with the lines later but I'm trying to just get certain steps done so I can convince myself I know what I'm doing before attempting bigger things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I know I'm about 2 weeks late on this one, but I fucking love this!

Snifit wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
what i do on occasion is draw a line and undo if i don't like it. i'll keep drawing them until i get one i'm okay with. typically i try to draw all of my lines in one quick, smooth motion. overall this is much smoother looking.

Yeah exactly like a real pen or paintbrush - with a god that will grant you unlimited undo miracles.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:17 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

gimp wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

Yeah exactly like a real pen or paintbrush - with a god that will grant you unlimited undo miracles.

haha. exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 pm 

Remember all that mask business a few pages back? Here's a finalized colorized version.

Not sure about the colors for the mask, but everything else looks good. The goggles seem a little small and her left hand is wonky but I'm happy. She's a lot more...proportioned than I intended. :lol: She's supposed to be younger, late teens-ish, but this makes her look like a full grown woman.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i recommend not using the fill bucket for coloring.

note the white spots.

instead: make a new layer (ctrl+shift+n) and do one of two things:
a) color it in manually. to make this less of a pain you can bind brush size +/- to something easy to access. if your pen has buttons its a solid play to rebind the default left/right click to this.
b) use the pen tool. your lines are thick enough to make this relatively easy. you shouldn't have to bang your head against the desk too much to get your surfaces looking right. first, select the pen. the make sure its in shape mode (upper left below edit). how the pen works is it plots vertices. in shape mode if you have 3+(sometimes 2 depending on position) verticies it will fill the area between them. you can use solid colors, gradients, whatever. basically; you make a rough outline of your shape. when you place a point, keep the mouse 1 action held and drag off to the side. this will give you a set of control handles on the point. you can hold alt when you click on these to manipulate the curve between the two points. holding control will let you move the points around. this gives you a ton of control over your color shapes. it might sound complicated but its not. its basically the curve line tool from MSpaint+1. instead of only being able to choose two points you can make as many as you want.

personally: i usually opt for option a. but it depends on the look i'm going for. i usually use option b when i'm not using black lines, but i do sometimes mix and match.

this one for instance:
i used the pen on the colored portions. the gear its self was made in passes. the initial form i'd made a portion of, then to make it even i used transform mode (ctrl+t). i moved the pivot point (crosshair looking thing) to the corner of the fragment, then held shift and rotated it (holding shift applies the transformation as a copy) until it was flush with the original piece. then spammed my transform again hotkey until it formed the full gear.

after that i made the big white circle with my mouse at the center of the gear (ctrl+shift+alt when drawing shape presets forces the center point to your mouse location). then the smaller black, last the small white. then i added the rings using shapes in line mode. the sets of curved lines were another transform again trick. then i mirrored it, copied it, and shrunk it down for the other set. the tic marks were type on path using the line i used for the ring. the tiny blurry looking stuff is actually binary typed on paths which i didn't render. the rings have a scaled opacity starting low on the outside.

though something like this i'll color by hand.
all freehand aside from the blades. i made one, set up guides, and shift moved the top/bottom into place. then used transform mode to rotate and place the other ones. the resolution is kinda squished, but to get the blood looking like that i just used a super small brush size (2-3 pixels)

this guy (still unfinished) is all pen:
over a scan of this:
refining it a little as i went.

another pen example:

example of the versatility of source images:
my avatar is an early point from this one. its a composite of two different retards. google "retard nunchucks" and "retard run" and i'm sure you'll find turtle tard and the proud owner of those sweat pants. the process its self was mostly editing the sources. followed by lots of transform again. apply base filters and tweak blending options. merge layers. transform that one around a bit, and adjust hue/saturation of those layers.
after about 20 minutes: we have a neon baphomet fractal using nothing but retards.

if you're really liking what the tablet brings to the table when free form is involved. i highly HIGHLY recommend one of these:
mother fucking space pilot. made by a division of logitech called 3Dconnexion.
31 programmable hotkeys with infinite bind groupings. that knob in the middle? that is a programmable 6 axis analogue controller.
so: in one hand, i have the stylus. in the other: i have every tool i need hotkeyed. plus zoom, pan, scroll, and brush size control on the analogue. which also serves as a manipulator for 3d objects in PS. this paired with a tablet, dare i say, is far superior to sex.
this model is a bit pricy at $400. they also make cheaper models. low end is around $60 i think. thats the analogue and two buttons.
though i'd say to get the mid range one, its still a little expensive, but if you shop around you can probably pick one up for around $150.
basically: what you end up paying for is how little you need to use the keyboard. with the $60 model you'll still need it quite a bit. with the top end model you can throw your keyboard in the trash.

these things are primarily used for cad and 3d modeling programs. i bought it for 3ds max, but was dumbfounded when i set it up for PS. i couldn't believe how natural it made using the program feel. there's a list of native supported programs on their site, but the new driver set lets you turn on mouse/keyboard emulation so you can use it with any program or for navigating windows should you chose to. though be warned: if you want to set it up for a game it is going to take 6+ hours of tweaking before you find that sweet spot that works for you. these things are absurdly sensitive. i have to set mine on a cushion or my sub-woofer plays hell on it. a bit pricey, yes, but a super solid investment if you want something that boosts productivity, makes using art programs feel more natural, and is a fuck of a toy to mess with when you get bored.

lastly: if you photoshop like this douche, you're doin' it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

haha i forgot about the tool with the truck on tv while leaning on tv.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 pm 

The color was mostly to test color theory and see how it would look. I've had an idea of how she should look but had yet to actually make a colored version. Like I said, I'm unsure on the mask colors, I like the green lenses because it makes a nice contrast to her red hair and the more blue-green fits with her blue suit better than a yellow-green, but the suit, belt, and accessories are all pretty in line with my ideal color scheme.

I have an idea on how to fix the fill bucket issues without manually coloring and I will experiment to see if it will work, but for now I'm working on comic things...WITH PHOTOSHOP :awesome:

Also, if anyone has any ideas on mask coloring, please share.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next