neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm 
KSK Mastermind

So, recently i was very inspired to get into a form a music i am sure you are all familiar with. I figured with some trial and error and my lack of musical skill, i could, with time make some decent chiptunes. I got a neat program for my 3ds, Rytmik retrobits i believe, and it is in depth, but feels intuitive enough to figure out. i understand it a lot better than those wacky trackers. Perhaps in time i will move to that, but at this stage my 3ds does what i want it to do.

Anyways, here is what ive been working on, its basically three songs, but all three are very incomplete. i want to add more to them. at the same time, they could work as good looping music in a video game setting :P isnt that what chiptunes are about?

anyways, let me know what you think. i still have a lot to learn, but personally being a no talent idiot, they dont make me want to puke, especially dubby and space menu.

the trick is to pretend you are playing and 8bit sci fi game.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Voi ... %20Studios

if that doesnt work

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55968550/Voice ... 3x.wma.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55968550/Voice ... 20Menu.wma

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55968550/Voice ... /Dubby.wma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

That first one sounds more like you were messing with everything to see how it works.
Sounds like you were having fun, and that's all that really matters, keep at it man.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am 
KSK Mastermind

Thanks Neon!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am 
KSK Mastermind

ive added to the first track, allowing it to go somewhere. Its still incomplete, but the vision is starting to focus. Once this track is complete, i will get to the other two. i really should focus on one song at a time, but i got too excited and nervous and stuff. Its neat being able to get a certain sound, then altering each box just enough to make the entire song sound different giving it character. i know that is pretty much how music works to begin with, but this is my first real personal musical discovery. Dont get me wrong, i loved KSK but i felt like i was just yelling stuff. with this project, it feels more... i dunno real? well as real as it can get. I just wanna have fun and have my friends go, wow thats neat. but because they actually think its neat.

thanks again for listening along on my musical journey.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55968550/Voice ... evised.wma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I don't know how it works for other people, but I can rarely just focus on one song at a time, sometimes when working on one I might realise that this new section might go better without something else I wrote or I'll suddenly have an idea for something competely different.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:buddy:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:25 pm 
KSK Mastermind

That makes sense Neon, Maybe I will just continue to do what feels natural. I don't want to force anything. I kinda work in stages. I do a little of it, listen to it over and over. if i like what i've done, i save it and put on my laptop, then i usually take a break. It's kind of a weird way of doing things. I am worried if i just keep chugging at it, i may get a lil weary and start half assing or run out of ideas or something. I'm weird :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm 
KSK Mastermind

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55968550/Voice ... point0.wma

newest development. I think it sounds how i want it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 pm 
KSK Mastermind

new song!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55968550/Voice ... otKage.wma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

You need more negative space (silence). It gives the sounds definition, clear edges y'know. You don't necessarily need less layers or anything, just... gaps.

Neon Jackal wrote:
I don't know how it works for other people, but I can rarely just focus on one song at a time, sometimes when working on one I might realise that this new section might go better without something else I wrote or I'll suddenly have an idea for something competely different.

I work in a couple of ways. In a pure compositional sense I write music in my head and transpose it to a guitar, and work on individual transitions or sections in a random order, and they evolve slightly each time I play them. They more or less happen one song at a time. In a more practical sense, when I'm working on a recording I take it all the way to a finished state before starting on the next one.

Just get Ableton or Fruityloops or something, everyone's doing it.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I am so mad at myself for not finding this earlier. Dude, this stuff sounds pretty damn good. Really ambient and moody. Feels like I'm on an 8-bit derelict space ship. Gives me a real dark sci-fi mood, kind of an NES Dead Space or a Samus exploring a ghost ship feeling. Really like it.

If I could offer one thing, and take this from someone who has had nothing to do with music since the 7th grade, I would say maybe work on some melodies or patterns. I love the effects and the overall sound quality but maybe with a bit more melody and central "themes" you could start making some catchy songs. Music sticks with you when there's something you can hum along afterwards. I love your sound, it's really good, but if you added in that "hook" I think you'd really REALLY have something.

Can't wait to get a full album.

Crashman wrote:
I am worried if i just keep chugging at it, i may get a lil weary and start half assing or run out of ideas or something. I'm weird :P

Ha ha, man I was so worried I'd run out of comic ideas and I've been drawing that thing for nearly two years. Don't worry. Inspiration ALWAYS comes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Thanks David, that really means a lot coming from you.

Really all of your critiques, I have found useful.

It's suddenly become to feel very daunting.... I suggest to any artist, try to avoid the medium your dealing with, otherwise you find yourself feeling very vulnerable....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'll try give them all a proper listen today Jessie.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

r0b053x - You've made an atmosphere, but the melody is lacking. The fat bass FX and the drums sync up pretty well - make it consistent and that's your rhythm. You have like, a synth line that's sort of playing bass notes in it? That needs to be louder and developed properly. Atm it is providing an effect, really (dodododo dodo). Keep that in, but uh... you want it to keep going to the end of each phrase. eg | .... ··· ·· ˚ | ˚˚˚˚ ... .. · | It's a percussive part, and works well with the drums. What really needs work is the topline. That's what, two single note (ie not chords) melodies in the same range playing at once? You basically haven't got a full lead. I think this would sounds best as something that repeats twice, once ending up and once ending down. Having a more dramatic difference in the parts will translate into more of a progression over time. I know your topline sounds like a real vg chiptune, but that's because vg composers back in the day generally weren't musically inclined. All in all, almost but not quite.

Space Menu - Is this one short loop? It certainly works as menu music. The love the weird mushy bottom end. I don't think it needs that high end synth. Maybe an octave down... Really I'd rather hear a subtle melody up there, or quiet little creaking notes that accentuate the low end.

Dubby - Sorry, but I think this is just one of those tracks you're better off just throwing out. :< I guess you could speed up the bassline and use it an octave up for something new.

r0b053x revised - Oh there's more D: My advice still stands. The new sections just sounds like bits stuck on top of bits, more of a soundscape than a song.

r0b053x 2point0 - What happened here? The snare sounds completely out of place, and it just falls apart at the end. I stand by my earlier comment on negative space.

RobotKage - It's slow. Where are the drums? The cymbals sound lonely. You've lost the scale just before the height of the part where the bass just disappears unnecessarily. You'd be better off stripping away the FX, i think. More negative space! I do love how the bass comes back in. You could easily go into some kind of jaunty piratey part there. You sort of lose it after that.

A tip for melodies - you've worked out that some notes are more dissonant than others in a scale. Use them sparingly, and put them in places where it will be accentuated, ie, the end/start of a phrase, otherwise you just end up with moodiness instead of a clean melody. A melody should be predictable, apart from the dissonant notes, and not just because you've already heard it all the way through. That's what makes it catchy.

A tip for overall composition - use loops. You're just sort of freely meandering from section to section. Work out a good rhythm, double/quadruple it up and write a melody for it, then double/quadruple that etc. Go to new sections with a clean cut to a new loop for most of the instruments. While it's not actually necessary to write your music like a pop song, it does make it about a million bajillion times easier to compose and try out different layers.

Nameless88 wrote: