neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Made (making) a game!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:16 pm 
KSK Mastermind

So, I figure i'd let you guys know how its going. I originally had this idea for a game a while ago, it was a Spy game. I've since scrapped that idea and completely overhauled it. I kept the Spy motif, cause Spies are pretty cool, and they don't get much love in the BG world compared to Fantasy or Sci Fi.

The tentative name that most likely will change is Trip Wire, as one of the mechanics involves trying not to trigger alarms.

Anyways, I have the rules down, I've got the mechanics down, I've got a small 2 person demo to see how the game flows. I am working on the various card types. I play tested the demo tonight with Noel and Shaina. It went well, they both got the rules pretty quick and were playing their turns without even glancing at me. They seemed to enjoy it. We even fixed a few bugs that were found. It was neat.

A really tiny tiny step into a bigger exciting world, but i wanted to share it with you guys.

I will keep you posted as to how future playtests and what not go.

My next goal is to get some card stock and start putting together a prototype. Maybe get an artist to draw me up some stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

things to note: Play the game with people who don't always have a positive attitude towards you. Why? Nice people tend to be nice regardless. You also should have gamers of all types play. People who kinda play, people who don't play, and those assholes who play games for no other reason than to break the fucking thing and ruin everybody's fun. Why? Because those guys are going to be the ones who find flaws in design or combos you never saw. Those assholes are probably the best people to ever play a game.

Also, if you make a game, you'll end up just getting burnt out on it. You have to play it soooooooo many times.

Wow, this came off depressing. In the end, have fun and I hope it works. I was just going for actual advice. Now, I think I'm a dick. Shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:27 pm 
KSK Mastermind

not at all.

I figured once i got the prototype, i'd take it to my local game shops and let them test it with random folks, ya know? Which the thought makes all my shy muscles activate at once and i want to climb underground. But i have to do it, if I want this game to do something.

I mean, the thing that super scares me is I have a low opinion of my creative work in any form. Low self esteem BS you know.... But this game, I feel like its good! I mean, im not saying its Pandemic or Catan good, but I think, it can be a fun game. When i think about it, i get excited.

Card stock shopping soon :!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
not at all.

I figured once i got the prototype, i'd take it to my local game shops and let them test it with random folks, ya know? Which the thought makes all my shy muscles activate at once and i want to climb underground. But i have to do it, if I want this game to do something.

I mean, the thing that super scares me is I have a low opinion of my creative work in any form. Low self esteem BS you know.... But this game, I feel like its good! I mean, im not saying its Pandemic or Catan good, but I think, it can be a fun game. When i think about it, i get excited.

Card stock shopping soon :!

i want to play it. could you pm me a rule set and part list? i could make it in my head and maybe give you a little feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 am 
KSK Mastermind

i have some people coming over to play the demo this evening, IF you don't mind could i wait till after that to send you the info?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

one other thing that is HUGE

Write down the rules, even for the people playing tonight, hand them the rules and let them read the rules and play an entire game WITHOUT you. See how they interpret everything you write down and how you envision the rules. You'll either find wording you need to clear up, or you'll find questions that other people will have with it because they didn't make the game so they're unsure.

That is one of the biggest helps. It's also a good way to see loopholes that people can find based on your rules of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 pm 
KSK Mastermind

good idea.
thats something i need to to do anyways is type up a more useful rule sheet. right now i just have all the stuff i wanted to be in it and how a turn works. so actually making a rules sheet would be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bogey wrote:
one other thing that is HUGE

Write down the rules, even for the people playing tonight, hand them the rules and let them read the rules and play an entire game WITHOUT you. See how they interpret everything you write down and how you envision the rules. You'll either find wording you need to clear up, or you'll find questions that other people will have with it because they didn't make the game so they're unsure.

That is one of the biggest helps. It's also a good way to see loopholes that people can find based on your rules of the game.

+1

this idea is very sound.

@crash: i don't mind. i'd just like to give it a once over in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:59 am 
KSK Mastermind

Lucky i didnt send it to you. Last night we figured out a way to improve the game and are still brainstorming some other ideas.

It adds a couple more rules but honestly, its nothing too too crazy. After altering the rules, we played another game, and this time i sat in too. I warned them not to play the creator but they felt i should see how they felt playing it.

Overall, both play tests were positive. one before the new rules, and one with them. The game flowed and they had more fun playing the second time, so the rule change is definitely welcome and it feels more like a spy game too.

The kindest compliment is when they were leaving, I apologized because we were going to also play Pandemic, but we ran out of time. He said that i shouldnt apologize, because he felt my game was more fun.

I will try and get you a rule set this weekend S1eepy, and if you'd like one too Bogey, i'd be willing.

i would take pictures, but it would look hideous, as i built the demo with CATAN, Carcossonne, Magic cards, and zombie dice pieces. :D I hope to get some card stock tomorrow and see if i can make some real cards.

Oh, and last minute, I added some things that make it so the game can win, which i am always a fan of. The gang liked that part and we even spawned an idea off of that. It felt pretty damned good.

Like, this IS a game. I mean, its not one you can go by, but its fairly original I think. The rules and mechanics are simple enough to learn rather quickly.

In fact, I gave them the instructions, they read them once and maybe looked at them one other time. Other than that they understood the core. There were a few questions, but mostly based on what pieces represented what.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:20 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

ugly-ness in something you're just getting into with is normal. I have 400-ish note cards that are an entire game I've been working on. The entire game is just plain, white note cards. That shit doesn't look pretty at all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:29 pm 
KSK Mastermind

for fun, i drew this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:47 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Update and apologies.

Sorry i have not yet sent the rules and stuff, ive been revising them a bunch as well as....

update: I purchased card stock and foam board to construct my cards and tiles. Ive got the the cards ready to print on cardstock this week. The tiles are halfway done.

Soon i will have a playable prototype without worrying about saying "uh yeah, that catan piece means this actually, oh and those magic cards are those).

Fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 pm 
KSK Mastermind

I speculate that the prototype will be done by this weekend. there i will make card/tile lists and send you guys the rules.

super excite. The game is essentially a Rogue Like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I saw a bit of it while I was at his house today. It looks promising. I need to get in a play test sometime.

Also, you should run the game at ACC, even if you only have the prototype! If you have the full game by then, you could even sell it there!

If you want, we could even give away a copy as one of the prizes in the video room to get some extra promotion going.

I know that's probably a long way off due to the series of events that need to take place to get the full game, but just some ideas to mull over in the meantime.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 am 
KSK Mastermind

oh Definitely! Even if its just the prototype still, ill have people play it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 am 
KSK Mastermind

Finished the Prototype. Less tiles than I thought, but the flow of the game during last night's playtest was really good. I dont think i'd need more to be honest. The game went well and everyone had fun. A couple things will need to be added to the odds and ends of the rules and some rewording of one of the gadget cards.

Ill get to work on those part listings and get them to you soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Public playtest did ok. we met a nice guy who really enjoyed the game. we played twice. I was hoping for more players, but there was also a magic tourny going on, so bad timing i guess.

It was great though because we altered a main part of the game to make the game much more tactical and fun. The new version is so much tighter and i have a few more gadgets and stuff for the new version to be playable. That will be done by the night. I cant wait for all of you guys to be able to play it. Everytime i play it, its fun or gets more fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

We need to arrange a time where Nameless and I can play. He'll be in town for a few days starting tomorrow.

OHH! If you wanna come down to my place and visit Jack, that would be a great time to do so! I'll be in contact via txt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 am 
KSK Mastermind

we are having company this weekend, otherwise i would. course youre welcome to come up here, but i understand thats probably a silly thought :P

but i would love for you both to play it, since you guys are very experienced board gamers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Crashman wrote:
we are having company this weekend, otherwise i would. course youre welcome to come up here, but i understand thats probably a silly thought :P

but i would love for you both to play it, since you guys are very experienced board gamers.

Ahh true. We may be more available during the week, though. We'll coordinate and find out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm 
KSK Mastermind

let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 am 
KSK Mastermind

went back up to the game shop for another public play test. The guy we met last week was there and he made us some really awesome tiles to use instead of the foam board crappy ones i had. they look amazing!

we hammered the rules out a lil more. made a few changes and the game plays a lot better now. each time we play it gets better, i swear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
we hammered the rules out a lil more. made a few changes and the game plays a lot better now. each time we play it gets better, i swear.

you'll want to do this for a few months.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 am 
KSK Mastermind

Believe me, we have been. every play test seems to spawn something new.

Going down to St Auggie this weekend to have Nameless and Locrian play it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Locrian and Nameless both played it.

Nameless had a lot of bad luck, but seemed entertained. Locrian was REALLY impress with the game it seemed.

Good play test. The lead changed hands a few time, and the game made us work, in a fun way.