neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Artists?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:53 pm 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Anyone know anyone that's a pretty good artist that would be willing to work on a game for no upfront pay, but a portion of the profits after release?

Post subject: Re: Artists?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:30 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Hahahahahahahahahahahshshshahaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:42 pm 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Hahahahahahahahahahahshshshahaga

I assumed this would be the main response.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:03 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Yeah, I doubt you'll find anyone good to agree to that.

In my opinion, you're better off making your game with ugly art, then looking for someone to make it less ugly, since they'll be able to see if it's something they'd like to work on and can see being a real thing and not some shitty scam or something, I don't know, that's how I'm approaching things myself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:20 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Yeah dude, I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously think about what you're asking for there. That's a terrible deal for the artist.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:42 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

fuck what they said. neither of them are artists. what do you need done? let's start there.

if you have steam: add detromaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:24 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Are you saying this isn't art?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:17 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

no; that's beyond art. a lowly artist could never hope to accomplish such a deed. your time is clearly worth a bajillion dollars. as i make much of my work from stock images of retarded children: $5 seems like a whole lot of money to me.

seriously though: art is pretty cheap. starving and artist go hand in hand because art isn't functional. it's aesthetic, and as such is not intrinsically profitable. ergo: companies don't pay much for artists; which causes the cost of service to drop.

but it all depends on what you need done. do you need sprites? concept art? 3d models? UI stuff? music? etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:41 pm 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

We actually "have" an artist, but she has proven to be extremely unreliable and hasn't done dick shit for anything in forever, so I'm broadening my horizons and seeing if I can find someone comparable that'll work with us. We basically need everything done. Sprites, backgrounds, terrain, etc. But luckily for anyone that would want to help us, we're just working on an iOS/Droid/WP game, so the resolution isn't extreme and a lot of the terrain will be recycled. I actually have a working list of shit we need.

Normal Assets:
normal player fish (not doing a trick)
water (this i'm thinking needs to be an animated texture)
trees
bushes
rocks (in water, aka: has the water beside it to create the illusion it's submerged)
waterspout (ani)
moss covered rocks in a row (in water)
bear (ani)
fisherman (ani)
highway overpass
cars (ani)
semi trucks (ani)
bald eagles (ani)
bridge
fatman in an intertube
cows fording the river

Land Assets:
different types = grassy, foresty, arctic, plains, arid, city
straight pieces
L curves to the left and right for both top and bottom
slight curves to the left and right for both top and bottom
complete U curves to reverse direction

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:17 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

kliqIMB wrote:
We actually "have" an artist, but she has proven to be extremely unreliable and hasn't done dick shit for anything in forever, so I'm broadening my horizons and seeing if I can find someone comparable that'll work with us. We basically need everything done. Sprites, backgrounds, terrain, etc. But luckily for anyone that would want to help us, we're just working on an iOS/Droid/WP game, so the resolution isn't extreme and a lot of the terrain will be recycled. I actually have a working list of shit we need.

Normal Assets:
normal player fish (not doing a trick)
water (this i'm thinking needs to be an animated texture)
trees
bushes
rocks (in water, aka: has the water beside it to create the illusion it's submerged)
waterspout (ani)
moss covered rocks in a row (in water)
bear (ani)
fisherman (ani)
highway overpass
cars (ani)
semi trucks (ani)
bald eagles (ani)
bridge
fatman in an intertube
cows fording the river

Land Assets:
different types = grassy, foresty, arctic, plains, arid, city
straight pieces
L curves to the left and right for both top and bottom
slight curves to the left and right for both top and bottom
complete U curves to reverse direction

for water: you want it to be an animated texture with somewhere around 30-40% transparency your green and red channels. maybe 60-70% on your blue. this will give you transparent water that shows things in layers behind it as tinted blue. then if you want to be sweet: have a surface reflection layer animated and place that with the water. aw jeah. tranquil pond.

personally: i'm not a good sprite artist. i'm good at process things. i'd volunteer, but i'm not sure that i'd be the guy you'd want. for sprites i tend to use 3d objects, animate them, rig a camera, and turn my exported frames into a .gif. if you're going for a crisp 2d, semi-retro feel: i'd wind up giving you a bunch of muddy pixels.

here's a rough and unfinished example of what i'm talking about. it's a nice composite experiment.

the animated texture is made from two 3d tubes of which one is instanced: a camera rigged above: exported frames, desaturated to monochrome, compiled as a displacement map, and then set the teal region of the cylinder to cycle index frame of the texture per animation frame.

if that's the sort of direction you'd like to go: i can crank it out, but something tells me you're going with more of a nostalgic feel. i can, however, give pointers here and there if you roadblock on anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I really want to play Funky Godzilla Operatives. So bad.

But anyways, Kliq - I'm not a graphic artist, so take what I say with a grain of salt - but I have almost no idea what kind of feel you want for your game. Without knowing what kind of direction you want to go in, I don't think you'll find any artists willing to help you. You're not going to get far just saying "Hey, I need an artist" - you need to say what kind of artist. List assets doesn't help all that much.

Here are questions I'm thinking of - if you have answers to these, you'll probably have a better time finding an artist.

What kind of game is it? RPG, Puzzle, Arcade, Platformer, Shoot-em-up?

Do you have a certain feel to the game? Is it silly, is it serious? Is it light, is it dark?

Do you want pixel-y things, hand-drawn things, 3d things? Should things look all anime-esque? Or something more like Mario/Meat Boy? Do you want vector-style wireframe art? Something really surreal? Something else entirely?

Do you have any examples of games with an art style you want to mimic? Or any artists with work you particularly like? Do you have any previous art done?

I bet a graphic artist would have those and a billion other questions up-front. If you don't answer those up front, you're going to have a hard time finding anybody to help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

There are artists willing to work for free. Lots of young ones just want the experience and recognition. One of the worst things to do though is say "Hey we need an artists"

A very important thing to know about freelancers is that they are people. Putting out a blanket call of "Hey we're making a game and have everything laid out, we just need someone to draw this stuff" implies "and we don't care who" Artists are not interchangeable. You have to...well 'court' one. Napalm is right. Figure out what EXACTLY you're looking for (pixel vs hand drawn, stylized vs real, anime influence? western animation influence? etc.) Then hit up deviantart or tumblr and search for something similar. Soon as you find somebody, send a message of compliment. Tell them they do good work and pick out one or two things that stand out. Strike up a conversation. Then after a few messages, tell them about the project and if they'd have any interest.

It may seem like it'll take a while, and it probably will take a few weeks, but you'll get someone committed who WANTS to work on it. Trust me when Is ay this, nothing hurts an artist more than not giving a flying shit about their project.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 am 
In-House Sax Machine

To expand on Snifit even further - you want to make somebody want to work on your project. Get them excited about it. Why should I work on this game? Is it a cool, neat game? Is it a game I'd want to play?

You're not offering any payment, even with the profit-sharing aspect. Let's be honest - if this is your first game, you're going to make very little money, if any. Maybe it could blow up, but it most likely won't. You know how to build resume experience, people say "go volunteer"? Well, this is the artists' equivalent to that. The way to sell this idea is that this is something the artist could put on their resume. That means you're asking somebody to attach their name/reputation to something.

If I were an artist trying to get my name out there, I'd totally volunteer for a project that I think is neat/interesting. And bonus: I'd tell all my friends/family about it ("hey I did the art for this game check it out!"). But if it's not something that's resume-worthy, I'm not gonna do it.

Alternatively, pay them. There's tons of artists that'll gladly churn out art for $$$ and not care if their name/rep is attached to the project. It's way easier to pay somebody than it is to convince them to work for free.

In fact, your first post from this thread is borderline insulting to artists. If you want to find somebody to work for free, you really need a kickstarter-level write-up. Screenshots, details on the gameplay, blah blah blah. Just "hey I need artists" won't get you anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Oh wow, apologies if I potentially offended anyone with that first post. It was more of a like, hey do you guys know anyone, than an actual request, but to address several of the points made.

@Sleepy: I'm not sure we're going for a "retro" feel per se, but everything is definitely going to be 2D. Thanks for the info about the water though. That's one of the things we were working on before my partner left was trying to make it seem somewhat "real".

@Napalm: To answer your sundry questions: It's a runner-type game, so I guess that falls under "Arcade", about a salmon named Brosideon whose life's mission is to make it to Alaska to retire. I say "retire" because in this world fish are a culture of surfer/skater types and only "the greats" make it there (and then are subsequently eaten by humans :coookieesssss: ). Brosideon is stuck down in Louisana and must prove himself by doing various "runs" through different river systems in America. I've actually mapped out a 90% legitimate way to make it from Louisiana to Alaska only using rivers. Anyway, so as for the tone of the game it's very lighthearted and there's not much actual "story". The hook (pun intended) of the game is not only the addictive runner aspect, but that I'm also putting in "tricks" that the fish can do while going down the river. All of the tricks are puns or play on words of skateboarding / surfing tricks that have to do with fish (ie Bonefish, Stalefish, etc). So you'll earn points from not only completing trials in an expeditious manner, but also from perform tricks in the run itself. The art style I'm going for is honestly up for artistic interpretation on the part of the artist, but I know I want it to be on the cartoony side, with a little anime / Studio Ghibli influence.

@Snifit: I've been trying that approach for months to very little success. Somewhat in part to not finding a whole lot of people I like on deviant art (aka: not really knowing how the fuck to search for art styles) and those that I do either don't return my messages or are busy. I probably tried to chat up a good 10-15 artists on DeviantArt before we found our "current" artist at PAX East. And I guess she doesn't give a single shit about the project and that makes sense. What pisses me off most is her total lack of "professionalism". (I put that in air quotes because we're not really professionals, but whatever). And by that I mean, I sent her that list of assets, and yes we had already discussed style and what not, and she was like, fuck yeah I can have all of that done in a week. That was like 6 weeks ago and all I've gotten is one fish that I had to hound her for for three hours real time to get her to actually do it. Just sucks when someone seems so enthusiastic about a project and then pretty much doesn't give a fuck.

@Napalm: Yeah, I realized it'd be easier to pay someone. In fact, I have a fucking AMAZING artist would said she'd basically do the entire game for like 3-5K, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash. Well, I guess that isn't entirely true. My partner currently works at Microsoft making 110K a year, so he has that cash. But he doesn't seem very receptive to the idea of paying an artist right now.