neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:41 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Now, that the Mumblelympics are over, was anyone disappointed by the ending of True Detective? I wasn't. This was one of the very best serial killer dramas I have ever seen. And I love the way it showed how people have been spoiled by Mystery Boxes and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
Now, that the Mumblelympics are over, was anyone disappointed by the ending of True Detective? I wasn't. This was one of the very best serial killer dramas I have ever seen. And I love the way it showed how people have been spoiled by Mystery Boxes and stuff like that.

It has been the only thing since Breaking Bad to really satiate the need for something well written that just kicks you in the gut and doesn't give a fuck if you recovered before doing it again.

The next season should be intriguing. The idea that every year we'll just get a different case in a different district with different cops is very intriguing. Here is to the writing, and acting, staying that damn good.

edit: McCoughnehey (sp?) is becoming one of my favorite actors out there right now. The guy is fantastic on everything I've been seeing him in lately. Dallas Buyer's Club is something I've been meaning to see too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:45 am 

I really loved the direction and especially the cinematography. To me, Louisiana looks like it's on another planet.

I love the format though. A miniseries like this seems to be ideal to have something with more heft then a film, but it's not as drawn out as a multi season show.

So, let the real spec begin: Who will be the next pair? Could you imagine this with Daniel Day Lewis?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
I really loved the direction and especially the cinematography. To me, Louisiana looks like it's on another planet.

I love the format though. A miniseries like this seems to be ideal to have something with more heft then a film, but it's not as drawn out as a multi season show.

So, let the real spec begin: Who will be the next pair? Could you imagine this with Daniel Day Lewis?

That is another big thing that I found great, they used the setting as a character. Again, something Breaking Bad did amazingly well. It just wrapped you up in the whole show and added another level.

I'd love for Idris Elba to play the role, but he does Luther and already did The Wire. I'm not sure if he needs to do another cop show. I still wouldn't complain, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 pm 

Hot damn, Snowpiercer is a fine movie. I certainly haven't seen anything like it in quite some time. If you like good, inventive action and worldbuilding, you owe it to yourself to see it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
Hot damn, Snowpiercer is a fine movie. I certainly haven't seen anything like it in quite some time. If you like good, inventive action and worldbuilding, you owe it to yourself to see it.

just finished watching it. excellent excellent movie. i'm always glad that i listen to your nods.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:29 am 

Seeing a very french comic adapted by a sout korean director with english actors and western sensebilities... I don't know if you catch my drift but this movie... tasted... very fresh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:50 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i've been really impressed by south korea the past couple of years. not going to lie; i'd think about moving there if not for the unstable situation to the north.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:23 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I finally watched the last few episodes of True Detective, to be honest I wasn't really into it until the last two episodes. I mean it was enjoyable enough that I kept watching but it wasn't until the last two episodes that I really wanted to keep watching.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:18 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Caught up on Rick and Morty, Great show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:11 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Neon Jackal wrote:

every episode has a line that is so depressing, yet hilarious, that I'm amazed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:33 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Bogey wrote:
Neon Jackal wrote:

I love how aware of itself it is. This show is just beating it's head against the fourth wall constantly.

The TV episode was fantastic, too. I think it might be my favorite episode of the show. But the montage at the end of last week's episode was fucking glorious.

This has definitely solidified itself as a favorite of mine, though.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:58 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Neon Jackal wrote:

I love how aware of itself it is. This show is just beating it's head against the fourth wall constantly.

The TV episode was fantastic, too. I think it might be my favorite episode of the show. But the montage at the end of last week's episode was fucking glorious.

This has definitely solidified itself as a favorite of mine, though.

I think my favorite thing, compared to some other shows, is that it happens and everyone knows it happens and it changes or effects every single character. Static isn't really a thing. They also have it to where it all continuously affects everything else.

Everyone is involved. Rick and Morty have things go on that affect everyone and they all are changed because of it. Even if status quo is returned, it doesn't change the fact that everyone learned something. There are some crazy moments in that show, but everyone understands that it happens and they go with it.

"Mr. Meeseeks was like those guys in college who got what they wanted and left, but not you Jerry. You stayed."
"Because I got you pregnant."
"Yeah..."

Fucking hilarious and depressing.

Devil episode was great too.

-=--0-0-0-0

How I Met Your Mother finale....I'm probably in the minority, but I was really fine with the ending. Made sense, worked, skipped over something it might not have (but I can understand why on various levels), but the ending really fit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
How I Met Your Mother finale....I'm probably in the minority, but I was really fine with the ending. Made sense, worked, skipped over something it might not have (but I can understand why on various levels), but the ending really fit.

I liked it more than most, but still feel it was pretty flawed. I like what they tried to do with the ending but feel it was poorly executed. All the stuff that lead to that ending would have been much more emotionally effective had they spent more time developing those aspects of the characters, rather than glancing over it all in flashbacks. One part in specific I feel was really sudden just to make the ending that they filmed years ago work.

Other than that, it was pretty good. It had quite a few scenes that really made it enjoyable, a few throwback jokes to the rest of the series, and one scene in particular with NPH that stole the entire goddamn series.

It wasn't Breaking Bad, Scrubs, or MASH good, but it was far from Dexter terrible, and that to me is enough. Always be far from Dexter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:45 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I liked it more than most, but still feel it was pretty flawed. I like what they tried to do with the ending but feel it was poorly executed. All the stuff that lead to that ending would have been much more emotionally effective had they spent more time developing those aspects of the characters, rather than glancing over it all in flashbacks. One part in specific I feel was really sudden just to make the ending that they filmed years ago work.

Other than that, it was pretty good. It had quite a few scenes that really made it enjoyable, a few throwback jokes to the rest of the series, and one scene in particular with NPH that stole the entire goddamn series.

It wasn't Breaking Bad, Scrubs, or MASH good, but it was far from Dexter terrible, and that to me is enough. Always be far from Dexter.

Barney got the best ending, without question, and they should've spent some time on another section that really just seemed glossed over. The problem, in some aspects, is even 10 minutes on that part would seem like too little. Marshall and Lily's ending was status quo. But Barney....man, that mo-fo grew in a really heartwarming way. Fantastic final line, too.

The ending seemed shoe-horned because
Mom introduced, barely any lines, really no interaction with Ted, sick, dead, no footage of grieving or sadness

then
The assumption here is, during the last six years, he has loved his kids, taken care of them, raised them, and been there for them. They know he loved their mother more than anything and that she was very, very special to him. Story ends, kids understand this story (which is probably only one of many stories they've heard "don't live in your stories, Ted") was really all about Robin, tell him to go for it.

There is a big disconnect with assumption needed to really make the second portion work. But I don't find it hard to assume that the second part. Again, glossed over, but man...that is another season or two.

I think the biggest takeaway from this whole thing is:

Don't invite an ex to your wedding / never see the bride before the wedding. Both of them are bad luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 am 

So, all in all I'm quite happy that I lost interest in this show past season 6. Actually, that's a pretty good rule to live by when it comes to sitcoms. Never have I stuck with one of those until the end and not regretted it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Wrestlemania 30 in 2 hours.

w00t w00t!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
So, all in all I'm quite happy that I lost interest in this show past season 6. Actually, that's a pretty good rule to live by when it comes to sitcoms. Never have I stuck with one of those until the end and not regretted it.

Friends was a lot of fun all throughout it's 10 year run.... and to a lesser extent all 9 years of The Office US (huge drop off when Carrell left, but still watchable,) Scrubs up until 8... That's really I can think of. Maybe Seinfeld?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

It's Always Sunny starts it's tenth season later this year and that show is still fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Wrestlemania 30

The entire event can be held into a crazy 7-second gif

Note: spoilers for those that care to not have things spoiled (although a good chunk of people here probably don't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am 
KSK Mastermind

if it were anyone besides Brock Lesner....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Brock Lesnar makes the most sense honestly

Monster heel, part-timer just like Taker, has the actual intimidating shoot credibility, has his youth, is a big draw

Giving the WWE a new unstoppable force and as a villain to boot gives Taker a chance to finally retire and present a new, just as insurmountable challenge to up-and-coming talent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

It also allows Taker, if wanted, to have a retirement match with whoever he truly wants. It won't matter about "well, the streak needs THIS opponent still, or THAT opponent still" He, also, doesn't have to go out there and break himself. The final Undertaker match can just be a greatest hits moment that we all enjoy seeing.

Sting did an interview this weekend and said he had a new favorite number, and that it was 31. So, maybe, after all these years, we'll get one of the biggest dream matches ever: Sting vs Taker. Both men going into it knowing they'll retire together. Fans just get to watch two of the greatest ever have a curtain call at Wrestlemania, together.

Honestly, had Paul Bearer not died last year in February, I think Punk was probably going to beat Taker. There was probably a big discussion between him, taker, and the WWE about Taker winning for the memory of Percy more than anything. Because when you look at it, from any perspective, 20-0 is such a better number, 20-1 is still a better looking number to go out on. It all worked out for them though, as if Punk won and bolted, they'd be up shit creek with wasting it.

Taker chose Brock and it works on a lot of levels. Taker has spent the last 6 years telling one big story. Sunday, the final chapter was just an ending I don't think anyone, including myself, expected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:41 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

He needs to retire now before he kills himself

That shitty match put the man in the hospital over night; there's a reason he was pushing for the streak to end several years ago

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
He needs to retire now before he kills himself

That shitty match put the man in the hospital over night; there's a reason he was pushing for the streak to end several years ago

My fear in having the match even announced was Brock wouldn't go easy because Taker wouldn't let him. And really, the concussion came out of nowhere. No one even knows where it happened. If he is done, he is done. Great time, but man....it'd be nice to have a match that is said "Hey, here is the goodbye to the Undertaker". Still might get it, though. Who knows.

Granted, the match quality only happened because Taker went completely blank once the concussion hit. Seemed to be early, so, it was going to be different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189  Next